12 Days of Christmas Quiz (1 Viewer)

Rusty Trombone

I was chatting to a lad from work earlier, one of those people that just wins every quiz, remembers every element from games gone by etc, between us I'm confident of 9 with a possible 1 more. I've contributed the possible 1 more. Struggling with 1 centre half, and 1 striker.

tisza

got 10. have to be honest googled the foreign centre mid and still can't remember him playing even with the unusual name.
stuck on the 1 forward - looks a lot like someone we bought from blackpool but he played about 20 odd games.
can't get the sub. obviously early 80s - i do have one of those red Talbot shirts.

Wiseoldfool

Just sent my entry some had me really puzzled changed my answers a number of times,anyway getting ready to set off for Shrewsbury back to winning ways 3-1

pusb

Grendel

Need to get the entries in - even one or two down and you may have a chance

Grendel

Some are saying that they are having issues providing proof of payment to the dogs trust

You can e mail [email protected] with the e mail receipt from the charity if you prefer and Nick will collate them for me

Nick

Administrator
Yeah you can't upload PDF on here. Send them along with username and I'll convert them

Grendel

got 10. have to be honest googled the foreign centre mid and still can't remember him playing even with the unusual name.
stuck on the 1 forward - looks a lot like someone we bought from blackpool but he played about 20 odd games.
can't get the sub. obviously early 80s - i do have one of those red Talbot shirts.

To clarify I did say the 12 game thing was cancelled and a few including the centre forward played more

Nick

Administrator
Thanks, have seen 2 of them and forwarded them over to Grendel! One of them didn't have the username on but had the donation forwarded!

Grendel

I’ll leave this open for another day as I know one guy was confused by the 12 game thing. If he sees this it will give him a chance to respond

If not I’ll reveal the answers and winners tomorrow

MickM

if people are up for it I’m going to do a quiz on the build up to Christmas

There will be 12 players - one every day - building up to the 25th - all of whom have played less than 12 games for the club.

No entries until all 12 are submitted. When they are you can post up who you think. It’s £2 per entry to the Dogs trust and I will need proof or you are excluded from winning. Will look at the entries from Boxing Day and entries close on the 30th

If it’s a tie the first entry of the nearest to the correct total wins

Winner gets £20 to charity of their choice

Grendel

Sorry I’ve not managed to access my computer last few days - I’ll do this on the phone forgone spellings .

Answers then

Steve Sutton
Martin lane
Andy Spring
Horacio Carbonari
Peter Clarke
Rudi Kaiser
David Bradford
Detsi Kruszynski
Leigh Jenkinson
Dave Bamber
Matt Jansen

Greg Abbott

So I had 2 100% answers

Wisedfool and Calista

There are two choices - £10 each to each or a tie break - first two answer. Let me know you two what you would prefer.

Thanks to those who took part - hope you enjoyed it

Calista

Just seen this, and very pleased to have got them all right - it took some effort!

In a few cases I actually recognised the players, but mostly it took some cunning digging on the internet and some help from a couple of my CCFC-related books. Many of Grendel’s questions were dauntingly obscure, but if you thought about it, looked at the photos and kits to work out the likely dates, and searched hard enough the answers were all there. I could go through an old squad list and eliminate 98% of the players from memory straight way. So I can only claim to have properly recognised about 4 or 5 of the players without help, based on my complete obsession with all things Sky Blue in the old days (luckily the symptoms have become much milder with age, and now I’m almost cured). Spring, Kaiser and Bradford only took me seconds (although Bradford has some misleading stats on the web – he played for us under Dave Sexton in the 80s not the 70s). And despite his obscurity as a player, the Greg Abbott photo seemed very familiar – I reckon it may have been trundled out a few times when he has been linked to our manager position?

I correctly guessed Dave Bamber (a very good player IMO and we haven’t had too many centre forwards that size!). To get confirmation, the photo was hard to trace but I was lucky enough to mistake Jimmy Armfield for Stanley Matthews, with both coincidentally playing for Blackpool.

As for Grendel’s expectation that anyone would recognise the Leigh Rugby League stadium, well that’s why we all love him so much :) I only got that question because I’m old enough for the politician Roy Jenkins to be a familiar face, and how many of our players have had “jenkins” in their names?

At the end of a somewhat manic week, I’m not hugely keen to start swotting on a tie-breaker, so if Wisedfool agrees, I suggest we split the donation.

I looked to see if there was a support group for washed up Marillion fans, but it seems not. So my nominated charity is Spinal Muscular Atrophy UK (Spinal Muscular Atrophy Support UK - SMA Charity) – a colleague at work has the misfortune to have his son suffer from this terrible genetic condition, and I can’t begin to imagine how shattering that must be to have to deal with.

On a lighter note, a very Happy New Year to everyone on the forum and City fans everywhere – things look bleak and worrying at the moment, but let’s hope we have something to cheer both on and off the field in 2019.

And cheers Grendel for taking the trouble to set up the quiz – madly difficult in places but a nice challenge!

Last edited:

olderskyblue

Didn’t enter this as my memory is hopeless these days, and no time to research, but enjoyed it anyway. Only got 3, and one of those was because I recognised Roy Jenkins...

Anyway, good quiz, and I donated to the dogs trust anyway.

Wiseoldfool

Yeah I enjoyed doing that as well,the one I really struggled with was Detsy Krusyznski eventually picked it up on the Wimbledon shirt.
I'm happy to share with you Calista rather than a tie breaker.A good quix well done Grendel and a happy new year to everyone.

Frostie

So my nominated charity is Spinal Muscular Atrophy UK (Spinal Muscular Atrophy Support UK - SMA Charity) – a colleague at work has the misfortune to have his son suffer from this terrible genetic condition, and I can’t begin to imagine how shattering that must be to have to deal with.

Fantastic cause that just doesn't receive enough publicity or funding.

My godson died of SMA when just months old, truly heart wrenching.

JimmyHillsbeard

Detsi Kruzynski. Damn and blast. The purple filter on the photo fooled me. I guessed at some one else but knew it wasn’t him.

In unrelated news- has anyone else noticed what a good managerial career Philippe Clement has gone on to have?

Thanks to Grendel for the quiz. Was good fun although I cd have easily done without the reminders that David Bradford and Martin Lane ever blighted the club.

Calista

Detsi Kruzynski. Damn and blast. The purple filter on the photo fooled me. I guessed at some one else but knew it wasn’t him.

In unrelated news- has anyone else noticed what a good managerial career Philippe Clement has gone on to have?

Thanks to Grendel for the quiz. Was good fun although I cd have easily done without the reminders that David Bradford and Martin Lane ever blighted the club.

Bradford was appalling wasn't he? Meant to be a midfield general as I recall, but didn't even seem to be able to run properly and was totally out of his depth.

Monners

Sure I saw Bradford score against Stoke in a 3-0 win back in 1981 (we were two up in the first 3 minutes). He was hopeless though

Grendel

I have paid Calista and sent proof to nick

Wiseoldfool I have sent a PM I don’t see a way on line of donating to the preferred cause

Grendel

Yes but Football League era only to make it easier for the whippersnappers.

I’ll start a new thread I’ve just about got the list together - can’t think of a right midfielder yet . I will include more players from more recent times - there will still be older ones however I will do “give us a clue” type questions for those to work the name out

Users who are viewing this thread