100 Games For Super Matt - But How Super? (1 Viewer)

Boosh

Following his return in January, off the back of 5 games without a win, the stats are as follows:

Played: 16
Wins: 7
Draws: 7
Defeats: 2
Starts: 10
Goals: 5

He’s effectively averaging a goal every 2 games despite playing slightly out of position. His positional intelligence allows us to get away with playing 2 up front away from home. I’d say that’s pretty impressive given most on here believe this has been his trickiest spell since signing. The key for him will now be staying fit throughout the playoffs should we make it.

His overall league stats since joining:

Played: 101
Goals: 40
PPG: 1.48

One of Robins’ best signings for sure.

*stats could be wrong, happy to amend

CDK

The one thing ha has maintained is his finishing and 100% putting himself about.

slowpoke

Nothing wrong with him but he is the new whipping boy, replacing Shipley & Allen who pre injury has rammed the vile criticism by some down some throats, as said he is in a slightly different role but has delivers goals almost every other game. Had he missed one of the guilt edged chances that Vik did yesterday the whips would have been out mercilessly. Vik had one of those days a striker can have had they fallen to Matty he would have had five goals yesterday. The response to this thread by some will be interesting.

Boosh

Nothing wrong with him but he is the new whipping boy, replacing Shipley & Allen who pre injury has rammed the vile criticism by some down some throats, as said he is in a slightly different role but has delivers goals almost every other game. Had he missed one of the guilt edged chances that Vik did yesterday the whips would have been out mercilessly. The response to this thread by some will be interesting.

This is a positive thread so hopefully they stay away. They can slate him for no reason on other threads

Evo1883

Following his return in January, off the back of 5 games without a win, the stats are as follows:

He’s effectively averaging a goal every 2 games despite playing slightly out of position. His positional intelligence allows us to get away with playing 2 up front away from home. I’d say that’s pretty impressive given most on here believe this has been his trickiest spell since signing. The key for him will now be staying fit throughout the playoffs should we make it.

Hoping he stays fit , a real box striker that has fantastic intelligence and movement , could easily be on 5 or 6 more if he was passed to in space

Obviously not on the same level as vik as an all round footballer , but not many forwards are at this level

Bit of a whipping boy for some , but his numbers are decent at this level and better than players like lyndon dykes who plays for Scotland at this level

Even compared to Tom Bradshaw of millwall his championship numbers are much better .

Last edited:

skyblu3sk

Last few games have been much better. I think his biggest problem is staying fit which is why I don't think we can rely on him to lead the line for a season. Normally takes a game or so to get back up to speed. Good backup choice.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Goddens stats are very impressive IMO considering most of those games would have come in the Championship. People used to rave over really shit strikers at this level, like Leon Best who only managed 20 goals in 90 games, which is embarrassing.

Clive Eakin references there’s been calls for Godden to be moved on as ‘he’s lost it’…I haven’t heard anything like that, and his goals against Watford/Reading show he’s still a class finisher.

slowpoke

Don’t you think he might have come back less than 100% fit, it takes its tole and with Palmer getting injured as well as Allen in and out with injuries Godden has dropped into a slightly different role and he’s taken to it well, good players do that.
Godden in the team helps create the space for Vik too as we seen yesterday but he has to deliver that end product.

Peter Billing

It has looked like games passed him by a bit after coming back from injury and I doubted him, but maybe Robins has been putting him into games knowing he's not 100% but playing him back to match fitness ready for this run in.

Evo1883

Goddens stats are very impressive IMO considering most of those games would have come in the Championship. People used to rave over really shit strikers at this level, like Leon Best who only managed 20 goals in 90 games, which is embarrassing.

Clive Eakin references there’s been calls for Godden to be moved on as ‘he’s lost it’…I haven’t heard anything like that, and his goals against Watford/Reading show he’s still a class finisher.

There are some posts on twitter and on here by a few , and I also think godden has seen some as fans have been telling him to keep his chin up and ignore the hate .

Our fanbase is odd at times , these are players that have taken us to the cusp on the playoffs .

We are constantly told by a few on here that we need much better players than godden to achieve , yes that's right , the playoffs

Just alot of terrible opinions on here in general

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

There are some posts on twitter and on here by a few , and I also think godden has seen some as fans have been telling him to keep his chin up and ignore the hate .

Our fanbase is odd at times , these are players that have taken us to the cusp on the playoffs .

We are constantly told by a few on here that we need much better players than godden to achieve , yes that's right , the playoffs

Just alot of terrible opinions on here in general
I’m glad to have missed such dogshit opinions. I use Twitter a lot and haven’t seen anyone having a pop at him. I’ve seen people saying we need the top goal scorers in league 1 (they haven’t looked to see who they are!) but nothing at Godden.

Godden has played an adjusted position to give Gyok more freedom and help cover for our lack of number 10 (due to injuries) and has pulled out some classy finishes in recent weeks. None of recent years strikers, JCH, Chaplin etc were able to do that and ironically they’re the top scorers in League 1….

Speedie's Head

Godden has played an adjusted position to give Gyok more freedom and help cover for our lack of number 10 (due to injuries) and has pulled out some classy finishes in recent weeks. None of recent years strikers, JCH, Chaplin etc were able to do that and ironically they’re the top scorers in League 1….

He's also the best header of the ball we have. He's just not getting any crosses and he's missing out

skyblu3sk

Screenshot_20230423_094345_Chrome.jpg

Goddens biggest problem is you struggle to get 25 games out of him a season so when he's on the pitch all is good but you need two players to cover the position he has.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_094446_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230423_094446_Chrome.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 24

skyblu3sk

I appreciate the bloke has been injured alot and is his biggest flaw
Absolutely! I don't think anyone would sit and say he isn't a good striker when on the pitch! I'd love to see a full season out of him, see what he can really do. He will be quite expensive on a per game wages wise.

stay_up_skyblues

His “dip in form” (if you insist he’s had one) I think coincides with us going a bit more direct. When we play to feet/though on the floor and put quality into the box he always looks dangerous. When he’s asked to win it for Vic and press in midfield he looks like he’s not in the game so much. I’m sure he would be a/the box striker when we have a full allocation of players. I still wouldn’t take £750k from Huddersfield a year on.

2-1 up yesterday and the premier league dribblers behind us, in between constantly giving out the top division scores, slated Godden (“even though he scored”), Kelly as shite yesterday and on Wednesday and both wingbacks as nowhere near the level. I just think in this day and age anything below an 88+ rated player on fifa isn’t gonna be good enough for a proportion of fanboys.

Evo1883

Absolutely! I don't think anyone would sit and say he isn't a good striker when on the pitch! I'd love to see a full season out of him, see what he can really do. He will be quite expensive on a per game wages wise.
I don't think too many of our players are on mega money

colinc

When we press Vik and Matt work hard for each other and are very effective (Walker never appears to put in as much effort in that role), although as a striking partnership it would be even more effective if Vik passed more often !

Sent from my M2006C3LVG using Tapatalk

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

His “dip in form” (if you insist he’s had one) I think coincides with us going a bit more direct. When we play to feet/though on the floor and put quality into the box he always looks dangerous. When he’s asked to win it for Vic and press in midfield he looks like he’s not in the game so much. I’m sure he would be a/the box striker when we have a full allocation of players. I still wouldn’t take £750k from Huddersfield a year on.

2-1 up yesterday and the premier league dribblers behind us, in between constantly giving out the top division scores, slated Godden (“even though he scored”), Kelly as shite yesterday and on Wednesday and both wingbacks as nowhere near the level. I just think in this day and age anything below an 88+ rated player on fifa isn’t gonna be good enough for a proportion of fanboys.

Lots of our fans know about as much as biochemistry as they know about football. We have people ringing up BBC CWR to give an opinion on the match (NICK) that haven’t even watched the game. Radio 1 doesn’t have people on rating the latest films that haven’t watched the film, so I don’t see why we have to put up with it on CWR sport coverage. One week Nick said he hadn’t watched the game because he’d been on the beer with a mate, and still got put straight on with Oggy.

I think Kelly has been great in his appearances on Wednesday and yesterday. He’s back to his old self.

Brighton Sky Blue

Lots of our fans know about as much as biochemistry as they know about football. We have people ringing up BBC CWR to give an opinion on the match (NICK) that haven’t even watched the game. Radio 1 doesn’t have people on rating the latest films that haven’t watched the film, so I don’t see why we have to put up with it on CWR sport coverage. One week Nick said he hadn’t watched the game because he’d been on the beer with a mate, and still got put straight on with Oggy.

I think Kelly has been great in his appearances on Wednesday and yesterday. He’s back to his old self.

I would be confident in saying I know far more about biochemistry than football.

stay_up_skyblues

He’s a card, Nick. “I didn’t watch the game but I thought “…….” was superb. What do you think Steve?”

stevefloyd

I have knocked Godden but don't get me wrong the guy has stuck with us and scored some incredible goals, I rant about a few players because I am passionate about the team I have supported for over 55 years but its just my humble opinion and obviously the likes of Robins and co know a lot more about the ins and outs of football than I will indeed ever know and in an ideal world the 'lesser' players we have playing for us who all do their bit would be replaced by wonder kids but the reality is they are not because as the saying goes footballs a funny old game! Even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo have their off days but get given a buy because their off days are not as regular as others BUT when a player is out on the pitch playing for Coventry City football club, I may moan about them from time to time (some people may have noticed) but believe me I still support them 100%...PUSB from a well meaning moaning old bastard....at times

stevefloyd

And to Boosh...people are allowed to have an opinion even if you don't agree so don't try to be a dictator and have some humility yourself like I tried to explain in my post

Hertsccfc

Nah mate, easy as anything to get 1 in 3 strikers at this level , there's loads that have scored 15 plus this season on 44 games played

Oh yes that's right there's 6
Yes and his chief critics on here all were big Waghorn fans as well. Godden has been a great servant to this club and his goal yesterday was so important.

Speedie's Head

Yes and his chief critics on here all were big Waghorn fans as well. Godden has been a great servant to this club and his goal yesterday was so important.
another one chased away by the boo boys. Waghorn would have contributed far more than Maguire has been able to. He would have allowed Vik to have more of a rest in games too.

stupot07

8 goals in 20 starts, with a few of them before he was a 100%. A great player - he'd cost a small fortune to replace for sure
Technically its 7 from 20 starts, he scored the other coming off the bench.

5 from open play and 2 pens when he has started, plus the goal from open play coming off the bench to make it 4-1.

Took his last 2 goals superbly, when he scores you can accept his deficiencies in his general play. You can't knock his work rate though.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Deity

Best finisher at the club, great attitude.

Lacks the physical attributes to be a top striker in the championship but a good squad player for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread