100 Games For Super Matt - But How Super? (1 Viewer)

fatso

View attachment 29151

Goddens biggest problem is you struggle to get 25 games out of him a season so when he's on the pitch all is good but you need two players to cover the position he has.
He's missed games this season due to 2 non football related injuries, which is unfortunate, but I'd hardly call that injury prone. (He's not going to get appendicitis again)

We have cover for him, but when he's not available we tend to play an extra midfielder rather than trust our other strikers.

Grendel

He's missed games this season due to 2 non football related injuries, which is unfortunate, but I'd hardly call that injury prone. (He's not going to get appendicitis again)

We have cover for him, but when he's not available we tend to play an extra midfielder rather than trust our other strikers.
Apparently he’s never played for than 12 games without an injury

PVA

Should have snapped Huddersfield's hands off in the summer for £500k for a striker that had just scored at 1 in 2 the previous season IIRC.

JPG77

Great finisher, had my doubts this season, not sure it works with him and vik but options right now are scarce, the ability to pop up with a goal is crucial, showed it yesterday and will again before the end of the season I am sure. Stick with him and throw Walker on slightly earlier. He has been desperately unlucky with injuries, do we keep him next season? Big question, I'd say yes just for his ability to grab a goal out of nothing a la Watford. Not sure we, even if we lose Vik, no guarantees we replace well, would rather have him for us than against us

fatso

Great finisher, had my doubts this season, not sure it works with him and vik but options right now are scarce, the ability to pop up with a goal is crucial, showed it yesterday and will again before the end of the season I am sure. Stick with him and throw Walker on slightly earlier. He has been desperately unlucky with injuries, do we keep him next season? Big question, I'd say yes just for his ability to grab a goal out of nothing a la Watford. Not sure we, even if we lose Vik, no guarantees we replace well, would rather have him for us than against us
Walker is finished here.

What we need to look at is strengthening our squad in all areas, yesterday we had 5 loan players on the park, which highlights just how threadbare the squad is at the moment.

We also have Mcguire and Walker in the building that are never going to get a start, so it's going to be a very busy summer.

skyblu3sk

I'd argue playing a little over half games for 3 seasons would make you injury prone.

fatso

I'd argue playing a little over half games for 3 seasons would make you injury prone.
You have a point,

But I think playing Gyokeres on his own up front for much of the season has had an impact on Goddens game time.

Godden is in the team due (in part) to injuries to O'hare and Palmer.

skyblu3sk

You have a point,

But I think playing Gyokeres on his own up front for much of the season has had an impact on Goddens game time.

Godden is in the team due (in part) to injuries to O'hare and Palmer.
I'm not sure in that. I think Robins has often wanted to play 2 up but beeb unable to. I think there's a big difference in fitness to take a spot on the bench to starting games. Obviously I'm not Robins so I'm speculating but that's my gut.

JPG77

He did before coming here.
I agree walker is done, didnt say otherwise, but believe he can give us something between now and the play off final 👌 also think he can offer something next season, regardless of being where we are or in the promised land

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Lots of our fans know about as much as biochemistry as they know about football. We have people ringing up BBC CWR to give an opinion on the match (NICK) that haven’t even watched the game. Radio 1 doesn’t have people on rating the latest films that haven’t watched the film, so I don’t see why we have to put up with it on CWR sport coverage. One week Nick said he hadn’t watched the game because he’d been on the beer with a mate, and still got put straight on with Oggy.

I think Kelly has been great in his appearances on Wednesday and yesterday. He’s back to his old self.
I am still convinced Nick is a CWR employee designed to rile others up and get them to call in because not many people do.

Hertsccfc

I don't think that is in question but him being out a lot does hamper our options.
Does it really though? Having a player who you know will score goals when fit is a major asset. The ones that hamper our progress are those who are just not good enough even when fully fit.

I find it incredible the amount of criticism that has ben aimed at Godden bearing in mind what he has achieved for us and how crucial his goals have been.

Boosh

I think the dilemma is whether his ability to score goals on a regular basis out weighs his injury record. If he’s back up striker and can be fit for 30 games I’d say he’s certainly worth a place in the squad.

harvey098

Goddens game is mainly based on clever movement in the box and good finishing. This season he’s had to be a foil for Gyok and run into the channels and hardly been in the box for crosses etc

He’s still scored some really crucial (and well taken) goals despite having to play an unnatural role. Love the guy.

Boosh

Goddens game is mainly based on clever movement in the box and good finishing. This season he’s had to be a foil for Gyok and run into the channels and hardly been in the box for crosses etc

He’s still scored some really crucial (and well taken) goals despite having to play an unnatural role. Love the guy.

He’s a club legend without doubt

NorthernWisdom

You know, Godden has his merits, and I'll maintain a lot of his anonymity is because he and Gyokeres just don't gel. However, goals aren't the sole metric, obviously. Those of us of a certain vintage might remember players like Tommy Tynan. Amazing goal record, but was pretty useless everywhere else on the pitch. Even Paul Culpin showed an eye for goal in the top flight! They're the extremes, and Godden's game is better than that, but it's not unfair to say he's been pretty anonymous overall for a while.

He's not the right partner for Gyokeres. Arguably, if Gyokeres goes and we picked up another forward for next year, Godden might actually look better. So you have to consider, is he getting the best out of Gyokeres, is Gyokeres getting the best out of Godden? I'd say no for both.

None of that alters the fact that he's contributed some important goals to this season, and is one of our main goal threats. it is also fair to say he might have had more chances to improve that still further if his strike partner passed.

It's also fair to say his goals got us into this division, and helped keep us in this division in our first season. So in answer to the original question, Pretty Super.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You know, Godden has his merits, and I'll maintain a lot of his anonymity is because he and Gyokeres just don't gel. However, goals aren't the sole metric, obviously. Those of us of a certain vintage might remember players like Tommy Tynan. Amazing goal record, but was pretty useless everywhere else on the pitch. Even Paul Culpin showed an eye for goal in the top flight! They're the extremes, and Godden's game is better than that, but it's not unfair to say he's been pretty anonymous overall for a while.

He's not the right partner for Gyokeres. Arguably, if Gyokeres goes and we picked up another forward for next year, Godden might actually look better. So you have to consider, is he getting the best out of Gyokeres, is Gyokeres getting the best out of Godden? I'd say no for both.

None of that alters the fact that he's contributed some important goals to this season, and is one of our main goal threats. it is also fair to say he might have had more chances to improve that still further if his strike partner passed.

It's also fair to say his goals got us into this division, and helped keep us in this division in our first season. So in answer to the original question, Pretty Super.
I agree.

With a different strike partner doing the donkey work and leaving him free to poach in the box, Godden could make an impact and get a decent amount of goals (in the Championship). But Gyokeres isn't the person to do that for him and no way would you pick Godden over him. So if Godden wants to play he's going to have to accept the team will not really be playing to his strengths and he will spend long periods, even entire games, looking a bit of a passenger because he's not getting chances.

I'll admit I was getting concerned because a few games ago he wasn't converting those chances even when he got them, and without that to his game you have to wonder what role he might play. But after his fantastic strike against Watford and another excellent finish yesterday those fears seem a bit premature. There is still a bit of a question mark over his injury record though.

Basically, if we go up Godden will need to be moved on. If we don't and as expected Gyok leaves, he may well still have a role to play.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I am still convinced Nick is a CWR employee designed to rile others up and get them to call in because not many people do.

Yeah but no one likes an arse licker. 🤪

lordy_87

And to think, there are some complete knobheads on here who actually called for Walker to start ahead of Godden!!!!

Fucking unbelievable
I still stand by the opinion that he has underservedly started games ahead of walker recently. That's not slagging Godden and calling into question his goal scoring ability. His past past 2 or 3 performances have been a lot better though so fair play to him.

Offhegoes

Scenario - Play Off Final against Boro. Tight game, then in the 89th minute a City player is sent clean through on goal with only the keeper to beat. Surely you would pick Matty Godden to be that player.

fatso

I still stand by the opinion that he has underservedly started games ahead of walker recently. That's not slagging Godden and calling into question his goal scoring ability. His past past 2 or 3 performances have been a lot better though so fair play to him.
And what exactly are you basing that incorrect and frankly ludicrous opinion on?

CDK

Not a striker that plays whole seasons now just think is breaking down as he gets older and gets some freak injury's.but match fit a sublime finisher that there is no doubt.

rexo87

And what exactly are you basing that incorrect and frankly ludicrous opinion on?
Clearly based on Walkers very good performance vs Blackpool and Goddens poor performances either side of that game.

I don't understand how it's difficult to understand that?

As said though he's been better recently, particularly second half v Watford as well as the Reading game.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Boosh

Godden’s performances v Watford and Reading as possibly the most complete centre forward performances I’ve ever seen

Grendel

Godden’s performances v Watford and Reading as possibly the most complete centre forward performances I’ve ever seen

Even better than Callum Balls clinical performance against Arsenal?

fatso

Clearly based on Walkers very good performance vs Blackpool and Goddens poor performances either side of that game.

I don't understand how it's difficult to understand that?

As said though he's been better recently, particularly second half v Watford as well as the Reading game.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Let me explain it to you then.

Against Blackpool, Walker (supposedly a striker) played for 65 minutes without scoring. He was then replaced by non other than Matty Godden, who played for 25 minutes and scored 1 goal. (Oh the irony) Take a minute to process that thought!

You still with me? ... . Bare with

In the last 3 years or so, Mr Walker has appeared approximately 83 times for us and league 1 Plymouth where he scored a grand total of 11 goals, a rough average of 1 goal every 7.5 appearances. While also gaining something of a reputation from both city and Plymouth fans for being lazy and half arsed.

Mr Godden has appeared 101 times for us, and amassed a creditable 40 goals in that time, which gives him an rough average of 1 goal every 2.5 appearances, and become something of a terrace hero at the same time, and even has his own song.
(Which Walker doesn't have, ...unless you include the chant "get that useless twat Walker off"

Just for comparison, Gyokeres has 108 appearances for us, and also scored 40 goals, and is valued in excess of £20 million, surely by your logic, he should also be replaced by Walker after missing so many chances against Reading.

Now Mr Walker may have impressed you with his 65 minutes of fruitless effort against Blackpool, and I'm sure the fact that he ran around a bit more than usual has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with him being out of contract in 2 games time.

Your completely entitled to your opinion of course, ....as unique as it is.

But I hope some of the above will give you some food for thought.

Have a good one 👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread