Match Thread ⚽️ Sunderland vs Coventry City Match Thread - Sunday 31st Jul (1 Viewer)

larry_david

In hindsight its nice that we were so shite and still could have won by 2. Godden won't miss chances like that very often.
Panzo looked good and let's be honest, will break our hearts.
Tayo to come in and with dabo on the other side, we would be a completely different force for Sunderland
Backed gyokeres top scorer at 33-1 so good start, he's our main man.
Hamer was poor.
Allen cannot be relied on to be a pinnacle part of the team, he's a team runner and nothing more

Glad footy is back, can't wait for the next game already but also amazing how it can affect your mood. In this post lockdown time when things are tough and everything is going a little mad, would be nice for a few cov wins to keep the spirits up

It’sabatch87

Gyokeres just shows what a class striker he is, quiet for most of the game then BANG have that.
He is priceless to us imo.

Panzo is some player, I’d love to get him permanently.

And we did miss O’Hare and what he brings to our team.

Im not gonna have a go at any player as it was the first game but they’ll get fitter and they’re decision making will improve.
Onwards PUSB!!

Nantwich Skyblues

Lots of room for improvement, Panzo great second half but first half (howitzer that hit the bar aside) his passing was shocking, just rustiness I think so be good to see him when up to full speed

Frostie

Disagree that his passing was shocking. He misplaced a few but he must’ve made the most passes out of our whole team first half so % wise still good

Yeah, seen a few people say that whilst simultaneously lauding Hyam's passing & was a little surprised by it:

Panzo - 86 passes, 85% Accuracy
Hyam - 64 passes, 80% Accuracy

Panzo completed more passes than anyone in the match.

robbiekeane

Yeah, seen a few people say that whilst simultaneously lauding Hyam's passing & was a little surprised by it:

Panzo - 86 passes, 85% Accuracy
Hyam - 64 passes, 80% Accuracy

Panzo completed more passes than anyone in the match.
Agree and also watching the game every single time we played it out from the back Hyam and Fadz would look for Panzo. Never once shyed away from the ball and was comfortable receiving it in tight areas (often when we had no other options and he was in that LB area of the pitch).

I think one thing we will need to watch out for is making sure we adequately cover him when he inevitably gets sucked in or goes on a marauding run upfield

slowpoke

For his first match Panzo was excellent throughout the game you are never going to get 100% pass accuracy ffs! he played at times like an extra cdm coming from the back with the ball once he beds in he could become some player for us.

Hobo

Sunderland wont be ripping it up this year but will be safe. Good teams will go to Sunderland and lose.

On a day when we just struugled to find our rhythm and really get going - we showed character and deserved our point. We actually created enough good situations (maybe not chances) to have won it.

A point away, especially at Sunderland at anytime of the season is a good point even if our performance was below our ability. Panzo looks a lot more refined than I was expecting. On that performance it looks like maybe we didn't miss out on JCS?

ceetee

That game was an example of how marginal incidents can change an outcome. Without either side playing overall better or worse they might have won 1-0, we might have won 2-0
Same performance, different outcomes

shmmeee

Panzo definitely an upgrade on JCS on that evidence. He's quicker, stronger and just looks more up for it. Only downside is that he won't be here next season unless Forest go down and we go up, then we might have a chance to buy him

I was holding out hope that they stay up and will take £1m or so, but on yesterdays showing there’ll be clubs offering much more at this level.

SkyblueTexan

For the Rotherham match (if COH is not available), I'd go with Moore, Dabo, Fadz, Hyam, Rose, Palmer, Sheaf, Hamer, Panzo, Godden and Gyokeres. Think Rotherham's draw with Swansea (a team we had major problems against last season) shows that they cannot be taken lightly.

fernandopartridge

Thought Palmer looked a bit off the pace when he came on and misplaced a few passes, not sure I'd start him. As much as Allen was poor v Sunderland he has generally been more effective at home (albeit he works well as part of a counter attacking team) so I'd give him another go.

SlowerThanPlatt

For the Rotherham match (if COH is not available), I'd go with Moore, Dabo, Fadz, Hyam, Rose, Palmer, Sheaf, Hamer, Panzo, Godden and Gyokeres. Think Rotherham's draw with Swansea (a team we had major problems against last season) shows that they cannot be taken lightly.

Palmer hasn’t started a game since August 2021, Robins has said he needs managing very carefully though needs must right now.

SlowerThanPlatt

Thought Palmer looked a bit off the pace when he came on and misplaced a few passes, not sure I'd start him. As much as Allen was poor v Sunderland he has generally been more effective at home (albeit he works well as part of a counter attacking team) so I'd give him another go.
He’ll start in the cup game against his old club you’d think to see where he’s at

Skyblue_CP

Panzo was superb yesterday, best player on the pitch. Ross Stewart at one point turned to have a go at one of their midfielders for playing it behind Panzo (who subsequently out paced and out muscled him off the ball easily) and pointed over for them to play it behind Hyam. He was visibly trying to avoid Panzo.

Hobo

No mention of the pen shout or the red card?

To be fair to Sky when McFadzean was pulled down at a corner. On seeing the replay they said Sunderland got away with one there helped by the linesman being on the other side of the pitch.

Also tackle at end pundits said it was a bad challenge and was worthy of a red card.

Also re man of match Phillips "Panzo was probably my MoM."

No point moaning about TV bias when our fans are bias about what they hear and dont hear?

fernandopartridge

Sky was very balanced compared to talk sport radio commentary with Mickey Gray and some other faux geordie

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
To be fair to Sky when McFadzean was pulled down at a corner. On seeing the replay they said Sunderland got away with one there helped by the linesman being on the other side of the pitch.

Also tackle at end pundits said it was a bad challenge and was worthy of a red card.

Also re man of match Phillips "Panzo was probably my MoM."

No point moaning about TV bias when our fans are bias about what they hear and dont hear?

I was on about after the game analysis. Was it mentioned then?

Users who are viewing this thread