Match Thread ⚽️ Sunderland vs Coventry City Match Thread - Sunday 31st Jul (3 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

Much better travelling home after that equaliser. ref could have / should have given us 2 penalties, and the new rules seem to allow defenders to kick the crap out of forwards. backwards step imo. Ballard could have been sent off on another day, and that O'Nien is known for THAT tackle on Gyo at the end.

skyblu3sk

First half I was a bit worried about Panzo at the back but going forward offered a lot. Pleased to see him grow in to that match. Much more solid 2nd half and looking forward to seeing more!

Blind-Faith

The difference being , that when Sunderland made their “league one” mistakes today and gifted us two chances, we fluffed both of them spectacularly.

When we made our league one mistakes in our first season back in the championship we often got punished for them. We need to be more clinical when teams present us with guilt edge chances through their own mistakes.

SkyblueTexan

Oh well still some cobwebs contributing ti the rustiness. Didn’t play anyone of note in preseason outside of Forest. Lot of room for improvement. Guess will take the point.

shmmeee

I think my biggest positives out of that were Panzo and palmer. Panzo excellent all game and think he will be a real asset for us this season.
Really liked what I saw of palmer, think he looks composed and probably more of your typical mould number 10

Also liked Palmers height. Adds so much, like when we play Sheaf as well.

Ross1247

All things considered a decent point away, after poor first half. Sunderland better than I thought they'd be. If we had 2 proper wing backs and o hare out today, I've no doubt we'd have won. But we didn't and still got a point. Panzo looked good, gyok scoring in opening game as well is a positive. Take it and a few lessons learned and move onto Rotherham.

procdoc

At work so missed the game. Remember the good sides can get results even when they play poorly. The game was always going to be much tougher than many on here were predicting. If we beat Rotherham next week that’s a solid start

shepardo01

On holiday, nowhere to watch (fair few City fans about though!), checked in on here throughout..
better 2nd half?
What did MR say??
Any mention of ref, who seemed to be focus of a fair few posts?
Summaries much appreciated!
Thanks you lot!

Samo

Cons:
Moore error for goal.
Wing-backs not good enough
Missed COH

Pros:
Panzo MOTM
A point away from home
Palmer looked ok
Always in the game
Great strike from Vik

steve101

Don't think we should be writing off Eccles in the RWB role. He has shown he can play there and hasn't had much game time since his injury. I thought he was better in the second half.
I think Sunderland are a better team than many are making out. It was a difficult first game to have.
Panzo looked quick and strong - looks like he could be a special player. Fadz was solid alongside him.
I would be happy for Bidwell at LB in a back 4, but he doesn't have the speed to get up and down at LWB and does not have the end product.
Hopefully we can hold onto Gyokeres - he is unreplaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread