Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Preston North End Match Thread - Wednesday 31st Aug (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Resting players when we have any 3 games in hand in the first month

Was having this discussion with my Dad on the way home. The counter argument is that last season aside we’ve generally finished seasons strongly and also finished games a lot stronger than other managers. So maybe it seems excessive to manage match fitness like he does but you can argue it gets results.

I wish we had the squad to make five subs a game, I think it would change our tactics considerably and end the plan of hanging on first half then using our energy second half to attack.

larry_david

It's the insistence on wing backs and then playing our reserve cm at rwb.

If we don't have the personnel for it at the moment, drop it.

Other thing related to this is why not give Burroughs ago, by all accounts was the only player to come out of the Bristol game with any credit and wing back and hasn't been seen since. Would he be a better bet than Eccles?

djr8369

Think I’ve lost count of how many identical home defeats we have had like that under MR
It was a very typical home defeat to an away side who did their job then killed the momentum of the game. Frustrating, especially after refs were adding more time last season but this season it seems to have gone out the window.

Blind-Faith

We were playing Preston, our absolute bogey team. I didn’t really expect anything else. Nice to get them out the way nice and early on. Onto Norwich we go 👍

Blind-Faith

So it's all down to luck then. Really believe in bogey team nonsense? Because our record against Norwich isn't great

Not all luck no, but we hit the bar twice, their keeper made a good save from Doyle, couple of goal mouth scramble where the ball didn't quite drop for us. Just wasn’t our night. Have you seen our record against Preston?

Matt smith

Think I’ve lost count of how many identical home defeats we have had like that under MR
Completely 😂, Luton and millwall from last year classic examples

we don’t have the defensive strength to not concede

that’s a 0-0 game but we can’t defend

Torquay Sky Blue

Not all luck no, but we hit the bar twice, their keeper made a good save from Doyle, couple of goal mouth scramble where the ball didn't quite drop for us. Just wasn’t our night. Have you seen our record against Preston?
Yes , that's why I always think the law of average means we'll beat them next time

Paxman II

My frustration is we looked disjointed for the majority of the game. The team selected was always going to be so. relying on Gyokeres to make stuff come alive is folly when there is no service. We need most of our regulars in the side to play our style of football and be on their game. Yes we had chances but they were not memorable ones tbf. We were much more positive and effective when Hamer came on - why he did not strt is on Robins. Sheaf is just not on form yet especially when Hamer is not in there. Dabo always needs a few games to get up to speed but Eccles is nowhere near championship level. These selections when you have your first game at home is difficult to understand. perhaps we should have played Panzo in midfield to tighten up? Would have been a sight better than Allen, who runs around and when he gets on the ball is final ball is nearly always hopeless.
I'm not sure Robins was blaming the crowd. I think he meant the players have to get the crowds sense of frustration out of their heads.
The management for all the off field nonsense, should be able to inject the spirit and belief into the side and not be talking about the league position. For the first time in years I thought Robins seemed to blame the issues when all we have in fact done is lose 1 player from the squad and have only played 3 games before the start. We need real focus on the next game, otherwise confidence will quickly drain. We are a good side, and we need to get focussed.

Grendel

My frustration is we looked disjointed for the majority of the game. The team selected was always going to be so. relying on Gyokeres to make stuff come alive is folly when there is no service. We need most of our regulars in the side to play our style of football and be on their game. Yes we had chances but they were not memorable ones tbf. We were much more positive and effective when Hamer came on - why he did not strt is on Robins. Sheaf is just not on form yet especially when Hamer is not in there. Dabo always needs a few games to get up to speed but Eccles is nowhere near championship level. These selections when you have your first game at home is difficult to understand. perhaps we should have played Panzo in midfield to tighten up? Would have been a sight better than Allen, who runs around and when he gets on the ball is final ball is nearly always hopeless.
I'm not sure Robins was blaming the crowd. I think he meant the players have to get the crowds sense of frustration out of their heads.
The management for all the off field nonsense, should be able to inject the spirit and belief into the side and not be talking about the league position. For the first time in years I thought Robins seemed to blame the issues when all we have in fact done is lose 1 player from the squad and have only played 3 games before the start. We need real focus on the next game, otherwise confidence will quickly drain. We are a good side, and we need to get focussed.

Panzo in midfield?

SkyB

Last night's' team selection did seem like Robins was trying to make a statement to board that the team doesn't have enough depth, again. From memory I don't think it's the first time he's played a weakened team around deadline day to make a point?

shmmeee

Last night's' team selection did seem like Robins was trying to make a statement to board that the team doesn't have enough depth, again. From memory I don't think it's the first time he's played a weakened team around deadline day to make a point?

That or we had three games in a week, two players coming back from not playing for ages and another coming back from a ban.

RegTheDonk

Numerous posters taking a widely misinterpreted comment from MR way too personally.

Classic SBT.
Sounds like he was referring to the annoyance of it being the first game, there were a few empty seats where you would expect them to be fuller, perhaps a few have had a moan pre-match to him that it would have been better on a weekend - he did say it's not the players fault, so you wouldn't think he's referring to reaction to the performance. Could also be the late opening of the gates.

We have to trust him to do his thing, pick the team and make changes as and when, as he sees the fitness levels and any bigger pictures behind the scenes. They haven't conceeded all season, so they can't be that shit. but still frustrated we didn't put away chances or create that many though TBF we hit the woodwork a couple of times. Don't like to knock the officials but they were diabolical, I wasn't surprised when Wilson only got a yellow and their bloke could have pulled a knife to mug Gus during their build up and still got away with it.

Won't get anything at Norwich and winning our games in hand only puts us mid table now, yeah I know it's still early but going to be a slog this year, half full glass is looking more half empty.

Last edited:

jordan210

Having watched a replay of the goal. Its impressive that the officials missed 2 offsides and a foul on Gus thats in front of both of them

edgy

Wilson could've been sent off twice, the clown.

First one should've been a red, if the ref thought it was a foul.
Second one, he did quite clearly kick out at the PNE player, though no contact was made by the kick, I think he then stood on the players ankle/foot.

Ccfcsj

Second one, he did quite clearly kick out at the PNE player, though no contact was made by the kick, I think he then stood on the players ankle/foot.
I would like to see a replay of the second incident. I was looking the other way and missed it - then turned back and saw their player on the ground in agony

edgy

I would like to see a replay of the second incident. I was looking the other way and missed it - then turned back and saw their player on the ground in agony

Saw it clear as day, side on. Deliberate "donkey kick" backwards towards the player behind him. Ridiculous with him already being on a yellow.

Ccfcsj

Saw it clear as day, side on. Deliberate "donkey kick" backwards towards the player behind him. Ridiculous with him already being on a yellow.
Luckily then that the linesman on that side was as blind as a bat as he proved when they scored

edgy

Was in the North stand last night. Their player tried to impede wilsons clearance and then ran in front of him before collapsing like the proverbial.
Didn't see any contact at all - Clearly just angling for a second yellow.

Not what I saw side on. It was clear Wilson kicked out backwards towards him. Player was behind him.

SkyB

That or we had three games in a week, two players coming back from not playing for ages and another coming back from a ban.

I just don't think Preston at home was the game we should play a weakened side in, compared to Hull or Norwich away.

Norwich away has to be the game to rest players. No one's expecting points there.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not what I saw side on. It was clear Wilson kicked out backwards towards him. Player was behind him.

I watched the replay a few times and it looked to me like their player was trying to instigate everything and then ran after Wilson with a determined and slightly psycho looking face. When he bashed into him he came off worse. I didn't see a kick to be honest, but maybe that all happened beforehand.

shmmeee

I just don't think Preston at home was the game we should play a weakened side in, compared to Hull or Norwich away.

Norwich away has to be the game to rest players. No one's expecting points there.

I don’t think it’s about that it’s about managing fitness over a season. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but that’s the rationale

robbiekeane

Just watched the highlights haven’t had a chance to catch up and I was very surprised to see that we had so many chances and could’ve easily won

they way it read on here was like we got battered

Sky Blue Pete

Did not see it that way at all

shmmeee

Didn’t see that from where I was in 24, looked very much like their player ran into him and fell over clutching his head, then decided it was his foot that was the problem. Then walked the longest way off the pitch possible.

ceetee

It looked to me at the time that their player had fouled Wilson and ended up hurting himself. If Wilson retaliated I didn't see it but I can't deny it. What was annoying was he didn't hold his head in agony until he realised that the ref wasn't intending to stop the game.

Users who are viewing this thread