Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Preston North End Match Thread - Wednesday 31st Aug (3 Viewers)

Ashdown

What are you on about the performance wasnt poor, most of the team played quite well, Waghorn looked sharp, just first touch on occasion was lacking, Eccles looked better than the previous games, not enough going forward though, agree on Allen though, runs around like a headless chicken
Waghorn has 10 bad touches to every 1 good one and Eccles was dreadful. Kasey Palmer was a class above anyone when he came on. It was mostly poor fodder, not the worst I’ve seen but awful decision making throughout and let’s not pretend PNE couldn’t have easily been 3 up by the end.

Liquid Gold

Defeat, a poor performance, questionable team selection and yet somehow people have managed to make this about the support, despite the fact we were urging the team on until the end and provided backing that many teams in this league would love to have. Staggered. This was the last thing I expected to see when I logged on. I was actually going to comment that it was reassuring to see the fans stick with the team. This is all a bit fucking weird tbh.
It’s what the manager made it about…

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Defeat, a poor performance, questionable team selection and yet somehow people have managed to make this about the support, despite the fact we were urging the team on until the end and provided backing that many teams in this league would love to have. Staggered. This was the last thing I expected to see when I logged on. I was actually going to comment that it was reassuring to see the fans stick with the team. This is all a bit fucking weird tbh.
Im not sure about that mate, it went flat for a while. It wasnt a usual first game atmosphere, yeah we do make a lot of noise but we didnt do it enough, yes we were loud enough but not for long enough. Performance was not poor by any means

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Waghorn has 10 bad touches to every 1 good one and Eccles was dreadful. Kasey Palmer was a class above anyone when he came on. It was mostly poor fodder, not the worst I’ve seen but awful decision making throughout and let’s not pretend PNE couldn’t have easily been 3 up by the end.
They could have been yeah, but they weren’t because we got back and amended our mistakes leading to the opportunities. Waghorn was still trying hard and looked the most likely to make something happen. Eccles was not dreadful, he was pretty average, defended relatively well but did nowt in attack, cant really expect perfect performances from a squad player thats by trade a CDM playing RWB

Ashdown

Nowt wrong with our support, cracking turnout, most sporting new shirts, a few moans and groans but nothing really audible at pitch level .
Let’s be honest the last team you want to be playing when you want a lift is those boring bastards though….7 clean sheets out of 7. They rode their luck though ☹️

theferret

Im not sure about that mate, it went flat for a while. It wasnt a usual first game atmosphere, yeah we do make a lot of noise but we didnt do it enough, yes we were loud enough but not for long enough. Performance was not poor by any means

I willing to accept that it went flat at times, but that's a million miles from being toxic as someone suggested.

I thought we were poor too. Did we create a clear cut chance all night?

Still not panicking though, but I do worry about tomorrow. Looks like a couple may be on the way.

AJB1983

I didn’t think it was that bad a performance.
First half frustrating as it was in terms of giving the ball away we did go close a few times.
second half hit woodwork, but didn’t carve out any clear cut chances that we should have scored.
I think you could tell Preston have had more match time - that half a yard sharper, first to loose balls, also getting the rub of any blocks and that always seeming to fall to them.
I don’t agree it was a weakened 11…. We’ve got a squad for a reason. Can’t play the same 11 every game.

also, I kind of get where robins is coming from - certainly personally, given we’re a few games behind everyone else, I felt we needed to win tonight and I think that is the nervousness and agitation he alluded to. Every time something didn’t come off it was a ‘hit the chair in front’ rather than a ‘ah well next time it’ll come off’ feeling like last season.
I don’t think we’re far away to be honest.

Liquid Gold

I willing to accept that it went flat at times, but that's a million miles from being toxic as someone suggested.

I thought we were poor too. Did we create a clear cut chance all night?

Still not panicking though, but I do worry about tomorrow. Looks like a couple may be on the way.
Hitting the bar and Bidwell putting it just wide we’re good attempts.

We never tested the keeper though. Doyle’s long range effort was about it and you’d be pissed off if your keeper conceded that.

Ashdown

They could have been yeah, but they weren’t because we got back and amended our mistakes leading to the opportunities. Waghorn was still trying hard and looked the most likely to make something happen. Eccles was not dreadful, he was pretty average, defended relatively well but did nowt in attack, cant really expect perfect performances from a squad player thats by trade a CDM playing RWB
Waghorn demands the ball, gets it and 8/10 times gives it straight away. Not good enough at this level I’m afraid.

Frostie

He wasn’t having a go at fans. It was more tense and he said the players need to block that out.

That's my thoughts too. The actual quote, in response to the question asked was:

"You can sense the annoyance of our fans, we need to get that out of our system"

You can read into it how you want but to me it just seemed like classic management 101 of basically saying to the players we need to control the controllables.

That said, there was an element of toxicity, certainly near me in Block 20.

Fans barracking a young player in Josh Eccles for not trying to force a Hollywood pass down the line to Godden (which was never on) & instead doing the right thing & keeping possession.
Waghorn being ironically cheered off when subbed despite being one of the best players out there etc.

I fully understand the frustrations but how on earth do these 'fans' think those behaviours are helpful?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

We most certainly did not look like a team bottom of the league or in threat of relegation, we played some good stuff at times, I like the look of Palmer, Doyle and Bidwell

Bugsy

I didn’t think it was that bad a performance.
First half frustrating as it was in terms of giving the ball away we did go close a few times.
second half hit woodwork, but didn’t carve out any clear cut chances that we should have scored.
I think you could tell Preston have had more match time - that half a yard sharper, first to loose balls, also getting the rub of any blocks and that always seeming to fall to them.
I don’t agree it was a weakened 11…. We’ve got a squad for a reason. Can’t play the same 11 every game.

also, I kind of get where robins is coming from - certainly personally, given we’re a few games behind everyone else, I felt we needed to win tonight and I think that is the nervousness and agitation he alluded to. Every time something didn’t come off it was a ‘hit the chair in front’ rather than a ‘ah well next time it’ll come off’ feeling like last season.
I don’t think we’re far away to be honest.

👌

Nick

Administrator
That's my thoughts too. The actual quote, in response to the question asked was:

"You can sense the annoyance of our fans, we need to get that out of our system"

You can read into it how you want but to me it just seemed like classic management 101 of basically saying to the players we need to control the controllables.

That said, there was an element of toxicity, certainly near me in Block 20.

Fans barracking a young player in Josh Eccles for not trying to force a Hollywood pass down the line to Godden (which was never on) & instead doing the right thing & keeping possession.
Waghorn being ironically cheered off when subbed despite being one of the best players out there etc.

I fully understand the frustrations but how on earth do these 'fans' think those behaviours are helpful?

While I don't condone it or agree with it, maybe if it's that important as a cause of us to lose then we should be working on mental toughness with our players.

As said, opposition fans at hostile grounds will be much, much worse.

Brighton Sky Blue

Haven't watched highlights since the opening game. Don't go on the Championship section of the BBC either. It's funny

Paid £700 between us for season tickets
Went to Burton to see a weakened side get spanked
Went to Hull to see the worst hat-trick I think I have ever seen, entirely self inflicted
Went tonight, saw possession being given away in a manner you just don't expect from professionals, again a weakened side
Will go to see a third loss in a week at Norwich on Saturday

And of all things the manager chooses to concentrate on supporters not bouncing enough when we spend half an hour looking like amateurs.

Brighton Sky Blue

While I don't condone it or agree with it, maybe if it's that important as a cause of us to lose then we should be working on mental toughness with our players.

As said, opposition fans at hostile grounds will be much, much worse.

Don't know about them but seeing the opposition celebrate that much at the final whistle pisses me off enough as a spectator. It should make our own players furious enough to want to bounce back.

Frostie

Haven't watched highlights since the opening game. Don't go on the Championship section of the BBC either. It's funny

Paid £700 between us for season tickets
Went to Burton to see a weakened side get spanked
Went to Hull to see the worst hat-trick I think I have ever seen, entirely self inflicted
Went tonight, saw possession being given away in a manner you just don't expect from professionals, again a weakened side
Will go to see a third loss in a week at Norwich on Saturday

And of all things the manager chooses to concentrate on supporters not bouncing enough when we spend half an hour looking like amateurs.

I assume you didn't listen to the interview? He didn't concentrate on it at all, he mentioned it once at the very beginning in direct response to the question asked. He blamed the pitch & off field stuff far more.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Robins said absolutely nothing wrong, he spoke the truth as usual. He didnt focus on the fans or atmosphere, he merely mentioned it at the start which most of you must have switched off after then

steveo1987

Just got in, we are very rusty and need games. I thought the Eccles, Rose right side were very vulnerable and very lightweight in midfield in general. First half disjointed with too many hopeful longer passes forward putting us in trouble and losing the ball. Second half much better but Godden virtually anonymous with Victor not his usual strong self holding the ball and turning..I am beginning to become so frustrated with the poor officials totally unable to deal with play acting and time-wasting, it is sadly making football unwatchable and is an epidemic as it was at Hull..Don't hold out much hope for Norwich but am heading there in perennial hope.

aloisijohnnyaloisi

We haven’t played any of the better sides in the league yet. Norwich will murder this side on Saturday, never beat WBA and the side’s confidence will be shot.

It looks seriously grim and you can pretty much entirely put it on our God awful ownership who are clinging on to a fantasy of taking the stadium all the while putting zero into the club. I am sick to the back teeth of seeing other fans having a marvellous time at our expense
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I agree there's plenty to be frustrated about. I'm just saying results haven't reflected performances yet, so I think it'll turn around.

hutch1972

Just back, and having thought about it, WTF was MR thinking when putting that starting 11 on the pitch?
Easily the worst selection for a match since his return. We owe him lots,but tonight,he lost the plot.

Brighton Sky Blue

I assume you didn't listen to the interview? He didn't concentrate on it at all, he mentioned it once at the very beginning in direct response to the question asked. He blamed the pitch & off field stuff far more.

I was coming back from the game, heard the segment just now. It still strikes me as an odd angle to take.

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I agree there's plenty to be frustrated about. I'm just saying results haven't reflected performances yet, so I think it'll turn around.

No time soon though. Get spanked on Saturday, probably get nothing the following Saturday and before you know it we could be 8/9 points from safety.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Just back, and having thought about it, WTF was MR thinking when putting that starting 11 on the pitch?
Easily the worst selection for a match since his return. We owe him lots,but tonight,he lost the plot.
Was probably thinking of the game on Saturday and focusing on who he will need for then, therefore resting Dabo and Palmer after a tough game Saturday. Hamer hasn't played in about 3 weeks, Doyle was very good, Wilson was a bit shaky but better than Moore has been last couple of games. Allen just runs around a lot and doesn’t do much else probably came into the wrong sport and should look into 10,000m races

shmmeee

Treading very dangerous ground if he’s digging at fans. Not really like him, so I’m a bit surprised and worried. I didn’t sense a particularly bad atmosphere.

Funniest part of the night was a 12 year old raging that he’s sick of this same shit week in week out.

He’s not. A quote has been taken out of context. I listened and it sounded more like a dig at the owners and he understands fans frustration but that when that’s in the ground it impacts younger players. He sounded like the last thing he wants is a return to the febrile atmosphere around the rent strike time. He also sounds like he knows it hasn’t come out of nowhere and is down to off field bollocks.

Brighton Sky Blue

Was probably thinking of the game on Saturday and focusing on who he will need for then, therefore resting Dabo and Palmer after a tough game Saturday. Hamer hasn't played in about 3 weeks, Doyle was very good, Wilson was a bit shaky but better than Moore has been last couple of games. Allen just runs around a lot and doesn’t do much else probably came into the wrong sport and should look into 10,000m races

Well the justification was
Moore-needs time to sort his head out
Hamer-not played in ages
Dabo-?
Panzo-?

Terry Gibson's perm

I can’t see where the goals will come from if the front two don’t score, the midfield will do well to get five goals between them and the defence don’t get many either.

CCFCBat

He’s not. A quote has been taken out of context. I listened and it sounded more like a dig at the owners and he understands fans frustration but that when that’s in the ground it impacts younger players. He sounded like the last thing he wants is a return to the febrile atmosphere around the rent strike time. He also sounds like he knows it hasn’t come out of nowhere and is down to off field bollocks.

I’ve watched the interview, I got the impression that he understood the fans frustration with the pitch, players being sold and no signings and but not to allow it to affect the support of the players. People are looking for the negative off everything on here

Nick

Administrator
Resting players when we have any 3 games in hand in the first month

Users who are viewing this thread