Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Huddersfield Town Match Thread - Saturday 20th Aug (1 Viewer)

David O'Day

The Commonwealth Games may have done us a long term favour. Without the 7s, the pitch is not repaired but never good. It deteriorates further over the course of the (football and rugby) season and contributes to several defeats.
the cwg helped as without that we would of tried to play vs rotherham and then the pitch would of fallen apart

fatso

So Wasps are saying the independent experts are wrong? The experts ruled it as unsafe to play on, not just "a bit shit".
Tbf, Wasps are never going to agree with any pitch report, either independent or expert, as they know full well that they are very likely to have to defend that report in court when they face legal action for damages. To agree with it would undermine their defence somewhat.

Happy_Martian

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What are the chances of our walkout song for the first home match being Hawkwind's Watching The Grass Grow?

Nick

Administrator
First of all we need to say that neither of the clubs involved are particularly to blame either for the situation’s making in the first place or for the late timing of the announcement. Both Coventry City and Huddersfield Town were keen to make an announcement one way or the other at the earliest possible opportunity, but with the EFL appointing an independent expert to rule on the pitch’s playability, the final decision was out of their hands.

That left the two clubs in a bind; it would have been no good for anyone if they had put out communications suggesting the game was likely to be off but it had ended up staying on, or vice versa. It’s also understandable that the EFL would try to prioritise keeping the fixture alive and thus leave the decision until it was absolutely certain that it could not go ahead, particularly given that this season’s schedule has already been compressed to make way for the mid-season World Cup.

wingy

That reference being made again as to why it wasn't envisaged and a request made to EFL for early game's to be played away

Now I've seen it said on here they blocked a request but is that accurate and in print

Nick

Administrator
That reference being made again as to why it wasn't envisaged and a request made to EFL for early game's to be played away

Now I've seen it said on here they blocked a request but is that accurate and in print

Yeah it was said by Boddy on record.

chiefdave

It's pretty odd of the EFL then IMO.
From what I can make out we may have been bundled in with other local teams who put in requests to play games away because there wasn't policing available as they were working the CWG. I wonder if there's been a breakdown in communication and it wasn't picked up that we could do with more games away from home due to being a CWG venue.

Sky Blue Pete

From what I can make out we may have been bundled in with other local teams who put in requests to play games away because there wasn't policing available as they were working the CWG. I wonder if there's been a breakdown in communication and it wasn't picked up that we could do with more games away from home due to being a CWG venue.
Agreed
I thought we were and I didn’t invent it to make excuses

Philosorapter

Just an update on the mid-week games..

Game.4.0.3.gif

And these below should show some of the early movements of the assumed provisional ratings of teams around where City's provisional rating is assumed.

I believe they are accurate as can be, which isn't a lot, with only four games being mostly played vs 2 away games for Coventry, and all other things being equal.

Teams below

4.0.2.PNG

Some of the teams immediately above.

4.0.3.PNG

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Also worrying that we’re going to be lacking sharpness compared to other teams - I’m not looking at the league table until the end of September either.

Well if we end up selling players off in part because Wasps fucked up then you won’t want to look all season.

AOM

Did I read somewhere we have been doing behind closed door games?
Not sure if that's just within the squad though, as I can't imagine other teams wanting to risk squads when they're now playing

SlowerThanPlatt

Did I read somewhere we have been doing behind closed door games?
Not sure if that's just within the squad though, as I can't imagine other teams wanting to risk squads when they're now playing
Yes we had an in house game a couple of days ago

Brylowes

Also worrying that we’re going to be lacking sharpness compared to other teams -
Not to mention having to play a glut of games in quick succession, on a pitch we already know doesn’t stand up well to being overused.
The league shutting down for the duration of the World Cup is another major negative for us as well.

Users who are viewing this thread