Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Huddersfield Town Match Thread - Saturday 20th Aug (1 Viewer)

theferret

Seen many trot this argument out but it makes zero sense... We can't just declare a pitch unsafe for shits & giggles, in fact we can't do it at all, only EFL officials/representatives can.

Indeed, I concede this point entirely. But, from what we know, the pitch hasn't been inspected by a referee for 10 days.

We deserve to see the report from last week, why hasn't that been shared? What is it that is making the pitch unsafe? Divots? It's beyond the wit of man to fix some uneven patches of grass in 20 days?

Anecdotally we're hearing reports from people who have seen the pitch who say it is much improved.

It only has to be playable. Doesn't have to be great, just playable and this rain will certainly help.

If the EFL call it off, fine, I'm not suggesting there is a conspiracy, but at that point we're due a detailed explanation because something doesn't stack up.

Balli001

Indeed, I concede this point entirely. But, from what we know, the pitch hasn't been inspected by a referee for 10 days.

We deserve to see the report from last week, why hasn't that been shared? What is it that is making the pitch unsafe? Divots? It's beyond the wit of man to fix some uneven patches of grass in 20 days?

Anecdotally we're hearing reports from people who have seen the pitch who say it is much improved.

It only has to be playable. Doesn't have to be great, just playable and this rain will certainly help.

If the EFL call it off, fine, I'm not suggesting there is a conspiracy, but at that point we're due a detailed explanation because something doesn't stack up.
So you can not accept that a qualified expert viewed the pitch and deemed it unsafe but instead think random guy on twitter who saw the top layer from a distance deems it improved so lets go? Boddy himself said the roots had gone and without major work it wouldnt be playable this season, yet you think a bit of rain and a weeks work and its fine.
We dont need a detailed explanation. Even if we had one nobody would understand it fully and would be interpreted to suit individual agendas

rexo87

Seen many trot this argument out but it makes zero sense... We can't just declare a pitch unsafe for shits & giggles, in fact we can't do it at all, only EFL officials/representatives can.
Exactly. Sick of people complaining to the club about not knowing whether Saturday is on or not as well. Someone from EFL is making the decision, not us

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

theferret

So you can not accept that a qualified expert viewed the pitch and deemed it unsafe but instead think random guy on twitter who saw the top layer from a distance deems it improved so lets go? Boddy himself said the roots had gone and without major work it wouldnt be playable this season, yet you think a bit of rain and a weeks work and its fine.
We dont need a detailed explanation. Even if we had one nobody would understand it fully and would be interpreted to suit individual agendas

No, never said anything of the sort. I explicitly said that I do accept it. And the reports I've heard come from staff at the arena not randoms on twitter, and the noise is that Wasps refute the EFL findings, and that includes ground staff. Does that mean I believe Wasps? No, of course not, but there needs to be more transparency here and 'the roots have gone' just doesn't cut it. This veil of secracy is weird, but I suspect we'll get an update today either way.

I've also not once criticised the club, my frustration here is the lack of information from the stadium owners and the EFL, we're very much the 3rd wheel.

Frostie

No, never said anything of the sort. I explicitly said that I do accept it. And the reports I've heard come from staff at the arena not randoms on twitter, and the noise is that Wasps refute the EFL findings, and that includes ground staff. Does that mean I believe Wasps? No, of course not, but there needs to be more transparency here and 'the roots have gone' just doesn't cut it. This veil of secracy is weird, but I suspect we'll get an update today either way.

I've also not once criticised the club, my frustration here is the lack of information from the stadium owners and the EFL, we're very much the 3rd wheel.

Why would the EFL lie about the state of the pitch? For what purpose?

Nick

Administrator

So Wasps are saying the independent experts are wrong? The experts ruled it as unsafe to play on, not just "a bit shit".

Colin Steins Smile

The EFL brought in an "INDEPENDENT AGRONOMIST" to inspect the pitch. The EFL's motivation at that point was to ascertain if CCFC were trying to pull a "fast one" and get a game called off with the potential to take disciplinary action. His finds stated it was "unsafe for players and officials".
To suggest that the grounds staff are refuting this .....they maybe, but they are paid by WASPS, so hardly independent and Wasps are definitely going to refute every claim of an unsafe pitch, as they'll lose in court.

theferret

Why would the EFL lie about the state of the pitch? For what purpose?

I'm not saying they are lying. I said in the original post that if the EFL call the game off then fair enough; that 1. acknowledges that it's the EFL's decision to make and 2. That if they call it they will have good reason I'm sure.

What is worthy of comment though, is how ground staff appear to be disputing the conclusion reached. It is touching how much faith some of you have in one expert (forgive me, but since when have experts agreed on anything, last couple of years tell us that); but I think the rumoured position of the ground staff is interesting. These are experienced, senior grounds staff. It is their job, every single day of the week, to prepare a playing surface for professional athletes. They gain nothing from declaring a pitch safe when it isn't.

Are these not experts, people who literally do this every day? Or are we saying that an academic with a 2:2 in soil studies from the University of Swindon is better placed to make a call? I'm being facetious, because I don't know this person's credentials. That's the point I'm making, that we don't know, it's all vague references without any detail, and if the suggestion is that there is disagreement amongst experts then it's worth discussing.

Everything is smoke and mirrors - one minute the pitch will not be playable without being replaced, and today we learn the solution is to not relay the pitch after all and patch it up. But no point asking questions you just get shot down.

Nick

Administrator
These are experienced, senior grounds staff. It is their job, every single day of the week, to prepare a playing surface for professional athletes. They gain nothing from declaring a pitch safe when it isn't.

Are these not experts, people who literally do this every day? Or are we saying that an academic with a 2:2 in soil studies from the University of Swindon is better placed to make a call? I'm being facetious, because I don't know this person's credentials. That's the point I'm making, that we don't know, it's all vague references without any detail, and if the suggestion is that there is disagreement amongst experts then it's worth discussing.

So why did the pitch fall apart on Live TV as soon as somebody ran on it?

The grounds staff gain lots from declaring it safe when it isn't, it means they don't look bad at their job.

An independent person on behalf of the EFL is better to make a call as whilst being an expert they are.... Independent.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
You would think the club would also be desperate to get the game on as well. We must have lost a massive amount of revenue from the Rotherham game

They will be, it isn't down to the club though is it. I'm not sure people get that, they assume Joy just decides if a game is on or not from a London Office.

Frostie

I'm not saying they are lying. I said in the original post that if the EFL call the game off then fair enough; that 1. acknowledges that it's the EFL's decision to make and 2. That if they call it they will have good reason I'm sure.

What is worthy of comment though, is how ground staff appear to be disputing the conclusion reached. It is touching how much faith some of you have in one expert (forgive me, but since when have experts agreed on anything, last couple of years tell us that); but I think the rumoured position of the ground staff is interesting. These are experienced, senior grounds staff. It is their job, every single day of the week, to prepare a playing surface for professional athletes. They gain nothing from declaring a pitch safe when it isn't.

Everything is smoke and mirrors - one minute the pitch will not be playable without being replaced, and today we learn the solution is to not relay the pitch after all and patch it up. But no point asking questions you just get shot down.

We don't know the credentials of these (Wasps employed) grounds staff who are disagreeing unless you care to enlighten us, it's not been reported anywhere else?

Everyone else at Wasps has gone full on radio silence (which in itself is quite telling) so will be intrigued to hear if someone has actually put their head above the parapet.

theferret

So why did the pitch fall apart on Live TV as soon as somebody ran on it?

The grounds staff gain lots from declaring it safe when it isn't, it means they don't look bad at their job.

Because it was in poor condition, nobody has sought to deny that. That's different from it being dangerous.

I recall when Wasps first played at the Ricoh, there were images of the playing surface literally peeling off at scrums. They played on it.

Clearly the pitch was unplayable for Rotherham. All I have been told is that there is frustration amongst ground staff who, off the record, have said the pitch has improved notably since then and is now playable and has been for several days. They are not making public statements to please their bosses, this is off the record.

Ultimately we'll find out won't we. There will be another check of the pitch by the EFL, and if they reach the same conclusion they reached before, then fair enough, nobody can argue with that - I am agreeing with you. Like has been said, it is in nobody's interest for the game to be cancelled. All I hope is that if it is cancelled we're trusted with a little more information as to the reason's why it is unsafe and what can be done about it - and that needs to come from the EFL and Wasps.

Liquid Gold

Because it was in poor condition, nobody has sought to deny that. That's different from it being dangerous.

I recall when Wasps first played at the Ricoh, there were images of the playing surface literally peeling off at scrums. They played on it.

Clearly the pitch was unplayable for Rotherham. All I have been told is that there is frustration amongst ground staff who, off the record, have said the pitch has improved notably since then and is now playable and has been for several days. They are not making public statements to please their bosses, this is off the record.

Ultimately we'll find out won't we. There will be another check of the pitch by the EFL, and if they reach the same conclusion they reached before, then fair enough, nobody can argue with that - I am agreeing with you. Like has been said, it is in nobody's interest for the game to be cancelled. All I hope is that if it is cancelled we're trusted with a little more information as to the reason's why it is unsafe and what can be done about it - and that needs to come from the EFL and Wasps.
Off the record = I know the ground staff and I'm throwing a hissy fit because I don't like it being called out that they've dropped a bollock.

Nick

Administrator

Again, they will be saying it is in good condition as it is their work / job that is being judged. They aren't going to say "we are useless and it's still shite" are they?

If it's true that there is some work being carried out (the stitching etc etc) then you would assume this is in like with the EFL recommendations to deem it "safe".

Wasps also implied that when CCFC moved the Bristol game that the pitch was safe and they didn't get it inspected before moving, they inspected after and it was still "unsafe".

Frostie

So we' as a club are not playing political games like you originally insinuated which is what everyone is disagreeing with?

giphy.gif

theferret

So we' as a club are not playing political games like you originally insinuated which is what everyone is disagreeing with?

giphy.gif

Yeah, me making the throwaway comment "I hope we're not playing games" is most definitely an insinuation that I think we are. Fuck sake.

Nobody is more defensive of the club than me, I routinely defend Boddy on here. Why are you so touchy?

Frostie

Yeah, me making the throwaway comment "I hope we're not playing games" is most definitely an insinuation that I think we are. Fuck sake.

Nobody is more defensive of the club than me, I routinely defend Boddy on here. Why are you so touchy?

It was a wild accusation with no basis in reality. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person but they have to some sense of believability else they don't work.

Pete in Portugal

Soil, grass , fertiliser, water, light……surely not that hard to put into motion

But none of these will work, because the insects have allowed the grass root system to die back over the summer. That why the CWG rugby 7's cut up the pitch so much, because the grass just got kicked out wheverever they ran. You could actually see it disintegrating on the TV coverage. It was already in a horrific condition before the CWG rugby was played on it.

Last edited:

theferret

It was a wild accusation with no basis in reality. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person but they have to some sense of believability else they don't work.

I don't believe we are playing games and there is no conspiracy and have never suggested there is. It was a throwaway comment and was more thinking out loud than anything, but perhaps it didn't come across that way, so fair enough.

I am genuinely curious about the conflicting information about the pitch however, there appears to be two very different views about its condition, one of which is of course heavily influenced by self-interest which I have not denied, so asking for more information to be shared is entirely reasonable imo.

Colin Steins Smile

I don't believe we are playing games and there is no conspiracy and have never suggested there is. It was a throwaway comment and was more thinking out loud than anything, but perhaps it didn't come across that way, so fair enough.

I am genuinely curious about the conflicting information about the pitch however, there appears to be two very different views about its condition, one of which is of course heavily influenced by self-interest which I have not denied, so asking for more information to be shared is entirely reasonable imo.
The main reason for conflicting information from the Wasps side is that if they admit the pitch is unsafe .....then they've just lost the court case for loss of income to CCFC. It's not difficult to understand!

JimmyHillsbeard

The Commonwealth Games may have done us a long term favour. Without the 7s, the pitch is not repaired but never good. It deteriorates further over the course of the (football and rugby) season and contributes to several defeats.

David O'Day

wasps will also claim it's safe as they have games in the not to distant future and if the roots system has died it is not safe for rugby games either

Users who are viewing this thread