Match Thread ⚽️ Cardiff City vs Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 15th Oct (1 Viewer)

mark82

Yeah, that's another argument. Both that & our goal look very, very close & could have gone the other way.

One thing I would say though is the angles of TV cameras & perspective can dramatically alter the true position. The only person who can tell for sure is the assistant (assuming he's up with play!).

I thought Gyokeres was offside for ours personally. Again, hard to tell from single camera TV angle.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

If you think Hamer should walk back into the team after a second red card suspension, 4 games out you’re out of your mind. He won’t be fully sharp as he‘s missed proper men’s football for 4 games. You don’t change a winning team unless you get injuries

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's the debate.
You said he didn't mean to play it backwards but as mentioned that's not important. Neither is whether he makes proper contact, miscontrols it or whatever he simply has to make a deliberate play for the ball & there's plenty of examples of similar goals that have stood.

It's a very bold decision from Madley, I'm not sure what he thinks Fadz is doing if not trying to play the ball? It's gone in our favour today but I'd be very disappointed if the shoe was on the other foot & Robins agrees:
"We had a bit of luck with the goal that was disallowed. We got away with that."
OR....

we could simplify the rule and say if you're offside when the ball's played you're offside, regardless of whether you touch the ball, an opponent touches the ball or if it hits a pigeon and deflects into your path.

It's an unnecessarily convoluted rule designed to create controversy.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just don’t get it “I’m going to punish you for making yourself unavailable by making you unavailable”. If he’s the best pick on talent and form that’s all that matters for me. Especially as we’ve got no backup.
I do sort of understand,as you can show his discipline is unacceptable privately in meetings, fining him or giving him stuff to do in training that's not so nice.

But I don't think anything gets that message across more than not playing in games. You drop people because they're not doing enough for the team. If a striker is missing chances, he gets dropped. If a midfielder is giving the ball away, he gets dropped. If a player is leaving his teammates with an uphill task far too often because he gets sent off, why shouldn't he be dropped too?

Legia Sky Blue

I do sort of understand,as you can show his discipline is unacceptable privately in meetings, fining him or giving him stuff to do in training that's not so nice.

But I don't think anything gets that message across more than not playing in games. You drop people because they're not doing enough for the team. If a striker is missing chances, he gets dropped. If a midfielder is giving the ball away, he gets dropped. If a player is leaving his teammates with an uphill task far too often because he gets sent off, why shouldn't he be dropped too?

You might be right, but given our league position, shouldn't giving ourselves the best shot at winning be prioritised over making a point of principle, particularly given he has been suspended for 4 games anyway? Seems ridiculous to punish ourselves further by effectively making it a 5 game suspension. If however, MR thinks our best shot at beating Sheff U is to omit Hamer, then that is different, however much I might not agree with him.

Brighton Sky Blue

You might be right, but given our league position, shouldn't giving ourselves the best shot at winning be prioritised over making a point of principle, particularly given he has been suspended for 4 games anyway? Seems ridiculous to punish ourselves further by effectively making it a 5 game suspension. If however, MR thinks our best shot at beating Sheff U is to omit Hamer, then that is different, however much I might not agree with him.

His next straight red will be a 5 game suspension-against a side that will be very good at grinding his gears I don't know if it's wise to start him.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's not a 5 game suspension if he's on the bench,

It's also worth reminding that we did actually win yesterday.

Sheffield U are also a team very likely to use tactics that will rile Hamer and get him into trouble.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

His next straight red will be a 5 game suspension-against a side that will be very good at grinding his gears I don't know if it's wise to start him.
Wouldn't the suspension depends on why he got sent off? If it was two yellows it'd be three wouldn't it? One for the sending off and two extra for the two previous suspensions.

SBT

Surely you can't bench someone on that basis. If you can't trust him not to get sent off in any given game then we should just get rid of him ASAP.

Brighton Sky Blue

Surely you can't bench someone on that basis. If you can't trust him not to get sent off in any given game then we should just get rid of him ASAP.

I think I could against different opposition, but Sheff Utd are probably near the top of the list for sides that will know exactly what to do to wind him up and cause him to lash out.

Legia Sky Blue

You can't start from the premise that he is likely to be red carded. My main worry with the games now coming thick and fast, is that there is a danger of players becoming 'leggy' which is how it appeared we were against Burnley when we played an unchanged team after having a midweek game, while they had changed their team and had more energy. That balance only changed after MR made his 5 subs. I see a fresh Hamer as a plus, rather than a hindrance in this particular game, which I think will be a high tempo one, suited to Hamer's more dynamic style.

shmmeee

He got sent off in like the 86th minute…

Liquid Gold

I haven't got a clue how that stadium has a fire safety certificate though. Stood still for about 10 minutes at the end trying to get out.

Finham

Just watched the game back on iplayer and they moan all they want about the penalty, Ralls should have got a straight red for that elbow to Dabo's neck in the 1st half. Very naive, if admirable, of Dabo not to roll around on the floor like he was dying.

Users who are viewing this thread