Wilson to sign for Bournemouth, loan players in exchange (2 Viewers)

Colonel Mustard

he now joined them. The club lost a key player.

They did. But his time spent at Cov wasn't worthless: his goals kept the club out of L2. Now hopefully the money from his sale can lead to a stronger overall squad, fit to push for promotion.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
What a lovely leaving message:

Departing striker Callum Wilson delivers a message of thanks to Coventry City and its supporters after completing move to Bournemouth

Coventry kid Callum Wilson hopes Sky Blues fans will understand his decision to move from his boyhood club.

Wilson came up through the Academy ranks with Coventry City and insisted the club would remain firmly in his heart as he headed for pastures new at Bournemouth.

The striker said: “It’s every player’s dream to play for their hometown club and to score so many goals last season went beyond those dreams.

“I was playing for Coventry City with so many of the lads I grew up and I can’t thank Steven Pressley enough for giving me that chance and believing in me from the start of the season.

“When I was asked at the end of last season whether I was going to stay, I really believed that I would be here at the start of next season.

“But as the weeks have passed, there has been more and more interest from clubs in the Championship and it became clear to me that there was a real chance to play in a higher division.

“It gave me a really big decision to make and it’s not one I have taken lightly and I think most supporters will understand just how tough a choice this was for me.

“I have sat down and talked it through with Steve Waggott and Steven Pressley, my family, everyone at Bournemouth and it just felt like the right move at the right time.

“I have to let my head rule my heart as this is my career – but my heart will always be here in Coventry.

“I know Steve and the manager wanted to keep me here but I can only hope that the deal can help them add to the squad. I know that will give them a great chance of going up next season which is something they, the other lads and the supporters all thoroughly deserve.

"The owner also called me to wish me the very best which was something I really appreciated. She also said that she is sorry to see me leave but the way the club have supported my decision, whether it was to stay or to move on, has been first rate and I want to thank them for that.

"Lastly though I want to thank the Sky Blues supporters who got behind me all of last season. They played a massive part in the success I had last season and, as a City supporter myself, it was an honour to share it with them."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

What a gent! So nice to see there's still some left in the game

AFCCOVENTRY

The 2 players are on loan till Jan 15. Would have preferred a season long loan with no recall option as it adds continuity and known of this they bigger off in Jan if they are playing well.

Brighton Sky Blue

True. But the other dude is only 22. Played a bit more first team mind so will likely get the nod. Although surprised he and the other fella are only here til January?

I guess it's the best we could negotiate with Bournemouth. Burge could probably use another season out on loan, ideally L2, before he gets thrown in. Last season showed us that it doesn't matter who you have in goal if the defence is bad enough!

RoboCCFC90

Gent, Noggin, come on then lads I was wrong, let's hear it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Gutted Callum is going but I really do wish him well as he's a Cov kid with hopefully a great future.
You can tell he's leaving with a heavy heart and I can't see any City fan not wishing him all the best.

Evans1883

according to bournmouth fans on facebook , we now have the best keeper in league 1 easily lol , hope so

Mr T - Sukka!

No good buying players fellas when you have bills outstanding!

SISU would be well advised to pay ACL £590k first to avoid another points deduction and the "full range of sanctions" of the football leauge.

They agreed to these terms and agreed to pay by 31st May.

Bill is outstanding SISU!

Evans1883

SISU would be well advised to pay ACL £590k first to avoid another points deduction and the "full range of sanctions" of the football leauge.

well with the imminent arrival of some 3 million pounds , im sure this can be squared away promptly

Bagsy

Good luck Callum. Hopefully we'll see you on MOTD one day! Hopefully the 2 loan players are decent.

Grendel

Did you personally object to Leon best playing when we refused to pay for him?

SkyblueBazza

well with the imminent arrival of some 3 million pounds , im sure this can be squared away promptly

Ah but they're disputing the £590 number so it is still entirely possible we start the season on -10 again because of non-payment & hence upsetting the FL apple-cart again.

PUSB

The Gentleman

Okay Gent let's hear it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No point in gloating Robo, I'm pissed off we are selling him but it's just that the writing was on the wall.

I wish he'd of stayed as I think he will get better and he will be very hard to replace (don't forget we still haven't replaced Leon Clarke yet).

BTW wipe that egg off your face ;)

Spionkop

Let's not try and dress it up. Callum Wilson leaving is a calamity for our club. One season wonder maybe, but he was our one season wonder.
A team could have been built around him.
If we had been playing at our rightful ground he would still be here. No question.
The money will disappear largely, legal fees, money to Sisu's investors.
There will be more exits.
Pressley has already told us there will be.
Bournemouth reserves in their place.

fernandopartridge

Does it?

2013/14 - Clarke sold in January, Wilson sold in the summer
2012/13 - McGoldrick loan not renewed in January
2011/12 - Jutkiewicz sold in January (still top scorer by May) (relegated)
2010/11 - King released (against our wishes)
2009/10 - Leon Best sold in January, Morrison released.
2008/09 - Morrison, not sold
2007/08 - Mifsud, not sold
2006/07 - Adebola, not sold
2005/06 - McSheffrey, sold
2004/05 - McSheffrey, not sold
2003/04 - McSheffrey, not sold
2002/03 - Bothroyd, released
2001/02 - Hughes, sold
2000/01 - Bellamy, sold (relegated)
1999/00 - Keane, sold
1998/99 - Whelan, not sold
1997/98 - Dublin, sold
1996/97 - Dublin, not sold
1995/96 - Dublin, not sold
1994/95 - Dublin, not sold
1993/94 - Ndlovu, not sold

Apart from the glut of sales around relegation, we seemed to always keep hold of our top scorers. Since Coleman left that seems to have changed.

One thing's for sure, the periods where we've sold our leading scorer season after season are the periods where we've been relegated.

McGoldrick immediately replaced and only a loanee. Did we get relegated last season?

Gallacher, Rosario, Speedie, Gibson, Hateley, Wallace etc

shmmeee

McGoldrick immediately replaced and only a loanee. Did we get relegated last season?

Gallacher, Rosario, Speedie, Gibson, Hateley, Wallace etc

Rosario? Really?

Gallacher was performing at the club for several seasons, as was Speedie, the rest are before my time (and outside the scope of Torchy's comment). I only went back 20 years as the quote was "happening for decades". I can go back further but I bet you'd find the same point: until Sisu we tended to hold onto high performing strikers for a few seasons.

In your desperation to try and prove a point you missed the bit where I said there's a flurry after relegation, the question is is this a continuation of our cost cutting or a profit motivated sale. The former seem to be OK, the latter seems to send us down.

Nice try though, but it doesn't really address the point being made. Then again, I guess that wasn't your point, you just saw someone say something that might not fit in with your "Sisu are just like every other owner" pity party and went into auto deny.

stupot07

Let's not try and dress it up. Callum Wilson leaving is a calamity for our club. One season wonder maybe, but he was our one season wonder.
A team could have been built around him.
If we had been playing at our rightful ground he would still be here. No question.
The money will disappear largely, legal fees, money to Sisu's investors.
There will be more exits.
Pressley has already told us there will be.
Bournemouth reserves in their place.

No he wouldn't, he'd have still gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

No he wouldn't, he'd have still gone.

100%.

In his own statement, he said: "But as the weeks have passed, there has been more and more interest from clubs in the Championship and it became clear to me that there was a real chance to play in a higher division ... I have to let my head rule my heart as this is my career."

The stadium is a non-factor for both incoming and departing players.

Nick

Administrator
100%.

In his own statement, he said: "But as the weeks have passed, there has been more and more interest from clubs in the Championship and it became clear to me that there was a real chance to play in a higher division ... I have to let my head rule my heart as this is my career."

The stadium is a non-factor for both incoming and departing players.

Don't let facts get in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread