Wilson to sign for Bournemouth, loan players in exchange (1 Viewer)

Covstar

Sad to see Wilson go but cannot argue with the price we got for him and with the bonus of two half decent players coming our way for a year. I am a bit more optimistic today than I was yesterday when I heard the news that Callum was going. Invest in 6 more players and we could have somewhat of a decent season.

Cranfield Sky Blue

If this all does go through as reported, we cannot complain. £3 million for a (being harsh) one season wonder. 2 what look like decent loan players for the year, and 2 more permanent signings already done and dusted. I just can't believe that they will give any of the Wilson money to SP to really build something for this season... But I can dream!

PUSB

kg82

Does it?

2013/14 - Clarke sold in January, Wilson sold in the summer
2012/13 - McGoldrick loan not renewed in January
2011/12 - Jutkiewicz sold in January (still top scorer by May) (relegated)
2010/11 - King released (against our wishes)
2009/10 - Leon Best sold in January, Morrison released.
2008/09 - Morrison, not sold
2007/08 - Mifsud, not sold
2006/07 - Adebola, not sold
2005/06 - McSheffrey, sold
2004/05 - McSheffrey, not sold
2003/04 - McSheffrey, not sold
2002/03 - Bothroyd, released
2001/02 - Hughes, sold
2000/01 - Bellamy, sold (relegated)
1999/00 - Keane, sold
1998/99 - Whelan, not sold
1997/98 - Dublin, sold
1996/97 - Dublin, not sold
1995/96 - Dublin, not sold
1994/95 - Dublin, not sold
1993/94 - Ndlovu, not sold

Apart from the glut of sales around relegation, we seemed to always keep hold of our top scorers. Since Coleman left that seems to have changed.

One thing's for sure, the periods where we've sold our leading scorer season after season are the periods where we've been relegated.

Hmm, they were all sold or released though. Dublin, Keane, Huckerby, Whelan. Those were all before relegation and they were only the forwards.

shmmeee

Hmm, they were all sold or released though. Dublin, Keane, Huckerby, Whelan. Those were all before relegation and they were only the forwards.

Well, everyone leaves eventually.

To break my thinking down a little:

Dublin left after 4 years as top scorer.
Keane going ultimately led to relegation, Bellamy and Hughes can be seen as cost cutting post-relegation.
Bothroyd was a weird one, seems McAllister didn't want him (not sold from under us).
McSheffrey was top scorer for 3 seasons (and had been playing for longer) and was sold a season before we went into admin.
Then we keep hold of Adebola, Mifsud and Morrison and try to build a team again as Sisu come in.
Best, Morrison, King, Jutkiewicz all sold at the point of being top scorer, leading to us getting relegated (second time we've released our top scorer in consecutive seasons, second time we're relegated).
McGoldrick, Clarke and Wilson brings us to today. Could argue the first two are cost cutting again, but can we afford to lose out top scorer in consecutive seasons again? It's asking a lot to strike it lucky 3 seasons running)

I suppose you could see the Wilson sale like the Hughes sale: it marks the end of the post-relegation mindset and us building a team for the future. Or as the Keane/Jutkiewicz sale in that it'll be the last straw holding up a weak team. Depends on your outlook I guess.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Keane going ultimately led to relegation, Bellamy and Hughes can be seen as cost cutting post-relegation.
Bothroyd was a weird one, seems McAllister didn't want him (not sold from under us).
McSheffrey was top scorer for 3 seasons (and had been playing for longer) and was sold a season before we went into admin.
Then we keep hold of Adebola, Mifsud and Morrison and try to build a team again as Sisu come in.
Best, Morrison, King, Jutkiewicz all sold at the point of being top scorer, leading to us getting relegated (second time we've released out top scorer in consecutive seasons, second time we're relegated).
McGoldrick, Clarke and Wilson brings us to today. Could argue the first two are cost cutting again, but can we afford to lose out top scorer in consecutive seasons again? It's asking a lot to strike it lucky 3 seasons running)

I suppose you could see the Wilson sale like the Hughes sale: it marks the end of the post-relegation mindset and us building a team for the future. Or as the Jutkiewicz sale in that it'll be the last straw holding up a weak team. Depends on your outlook I guess.

Don't think you can count McGoldrick seeing as he wasn't our player.

Astute

Not a bad deal if players coming in are good enough.

So one GK and 3 wingers. Trying to work out the SP plan :thinking about:

kg82

Best, Morrison, King, Jutkiewicz all sold at the point of being top scorer, leading to us getting relegated (second time we've released out top scorer in consecutive seasons, second time we're relegated).

I think the point torchy was making was we sell our best players, we always have and always will. Granted, it's worse now then it used to be, mainly because we had more pulling power.

I'll correct you on one thing though - we didn't go into admin a year after selling Sheff. It was about 6-7 years after.

shmmeee

I think the point torchy was making was we sell our best players, we always have and always will. Granted, it's worse now then it used to be, mainly because we had more pulling power.

I'll correct you on one thing though - we didn't go into admin a year after selling Sheff. It was about 6-7 years after.

Sorry, "ticking clock" that brought in Sisu, not actual admin. My mistake.

Of course we always sell our best players, no one will buy the worst ones! :D

My point is that we don't always sell them the second they are successful.

kg82

Sorry, "ticking clock" that brought in Sisu, not actual admin. My mistake.

Of course we always sell our best players, no one will buy the worst ones! :D

My point is that we don't always sell them the second they are successful.

As if we've ever had any bad players!

zigojacko

It's never a decent deal selling your most prolific goal scorer that has now proven that they can bag 20+ goals per season.

It doesn't matter how much for or who else comes in if no-one else can hit the back of the net like we know CW can.

It's not as if that money will get reinvested back into the team, we'll still be scraping around for reject loan signings just before the start of the season and we won't end up replacing CW with another proven goalscorer.

All in all, it's a bloody shit deal - and a) we were meant to be having our season built around CW and were told on numerous occasions he isn't for sale and isn't going anywhere - BS and b) this was a product of our academy, supporter of Coventry, a Cov lad - and he still buggers off (who can blame him) - we won't keep hold of anyone with this bunch of imbeciles running the club.

Last edited:

ccfcway

Football Manger experts suggest:

20% next transfer fee for us
£225k after 50 appearances
£125k after 1st International cap
The remainder paid back to Bournemouth for advanced payments of the 2 loan deals.
:whistle:

"advanced payments" - bournemouth aren't daft are they ;)

stupot07

Does it?

2013/14 - Clarke sold in January, Wilson sold in the summer
2012/13 - McGoldrick loan not renewed in January
2011/12 - Jutkiewicz sold in January (still top scorer by May) (relegated)
2010/11 - King released (against our wishes)
2009/10 - Leon Best sold in January, Morrison released.
2008/09 - Morrison, not sold
2007/08 - Mifsud, not sold
2006/07 - Adebola, not sold
2005/06 - McSheffrey, sold
2004/05 - McSheffrey, not sold
2003/04 - McSheffrey, not sold
2002/03 - Bothroyd, released
2001/02 - Hughes, sold
2000/01 - Bellamy, sold (relegated)
1999/00 - Keane, sold
1998/99 - Whelan, not sold
1997/98 - Dublin, sold
1996/97 - Dublin, not sold
1995/96 - Dublin, not sold
1994/95 - Dublin, not sold
1993/94 - Ndlovu, not sold

Apart from the glut of sales around relegation, we seemed to always keep hold of our top scorers. Since Coleman left that seems to have changed.

One thing's for sure, the periods where we've sold our leading scorer season after season are the periods where we've been relegated.

To be fair a lot of those 'top scorers' only got 10-11 goals (1 in 4) so particularly desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
BbgL7x3.gif

I got a Hill gif! I finally feel accepted here. :)

ecky

As someone has pointed out the Wilson money will cover sisu's legal fees owed to CCC...
Pressley will be lucky to see £250k

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Good deal if it happens (yet to see it confirmed).

I agree that Wilson has handled himself impeccably through the whole charade.

The keeper however isn't going to want to come here to bench warm. If that fair on Burge? Of both are given a chance to earn the shirt I guess that's only a good thing.

Don't know much of either linked players but it's true that we do need width, but him coming in would mean there's no chance of the QPR lad coming back (if there was ever any chance).

Samo

It's never a decent deal selling your most prolific goal scorer that has now proven that they can bag 20+ goals per season.

It doesn't matter how much for or who else comes in if no-one else can hit the back of the net like we know CW can.

It's not as if that money will get reinvested back into the team, we'll still be scraping around for reject loan signings just before the start of the season and we won't end up replacing CW with another proven goalscorer.

All in all, it's a bloody shit deal - and a) we were meant to be having our season built around CW and were told on numerous occasions he isn't for sale and isn't going anywhere - BS and b) this was a product of our academy, supporter of Coventry, a Cov lad - and he still buggers off (who can blame him) - we won't keep hold of anyone with this bunch of imbeciles running the club.

20 goals Per season, he certainly hasn't proven that.

Brighton Sky Blue

Good deal if it happens (yet to see it confirmed).

I agree that Wilson has handled himself impeccably through the whole charade.

The keeper however isn't going to want to come here to bench warm. If that fair on Burge? Of both are given a chance to earn the shirt I guess that's only a good thing.

Don't know much of either linked players but it's true that we do need width, but him coming in would mean there's no chance of the QPR lad coming back (if there was ever any chance).

If there's one position you don't want a rookie it's in goal.

Grendel

Bit like the shit deal when reading offered a reported £5 million for Michael Misfud and we turned it down.

CCFC_Charlie

Disappointing lengths with the loans, although you'd expect that Allsop will probably end up staying for the season if he's first choice.

torchomatic

So it was his decision in the end. Good luck Callum.

stupot07

What a lovely leaving message:

Departing striker Callum Wilson delivers a message of thanks to Coventry City and its supporters after completing move to Bournemouth

Coventry kid Callum Wilson hopes Sky Blues fans will understand his decision to move from his boyhood club.

Wilson came up through the Academy ranks with Coventry City and insisted the club would remain firmly in his heart as he headed for pastures new at Bournemouth.

The striker said: “It’s every player’s dream to play for their hometown club and to score so many goals last season went beyond those dreams.

“I was playing for Coventry City with so many of the lads I grew up and I can’t thank Steven Pressley enough for giving me that chance and believing in me from the start of the season.

“When I was asked at the end of last season whether I was going to stay, I really believed that I would be here at the start of next season.

“But as the weeks have passed, there has been more and more interest from clubs in the Championship and it became clear to me that there was a real chance to play in a higher division.

“It gave me a really big decision to make and it’s not one I have taken lightly and I think most supporters will understand just how tough a choice this was for me.

“I have sat down and talked it through with Steve Waggott and Steven Pressley, my family, everyone at Bournemouth and it just felt like the right move at the right time.

“I have to let my head rule my heart as this is my career – but my heart will always be here in Coventry.

“I know Steve and the manager wanted to keep me here but I can only hope that the deal can help them add to the squad. I know that will give them a great chance of going up next season which is something they, the other lads and the supporters all thoroughly deserve.

"The owner also called me to wish me the very best which was something I really appreciated. She also said that she is sorry to see me leave but the way the club have supported my decision, whether it was to stay or to move on, has been first rate and I want to thank them for that.

"Lastly though I want to thank the Sky Blues supporters who got behind me all of last season. They played a massive part in the success I had last season and, as a City supporter myself, it was an honour to share it with them."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Users who are viewing this thread