Time to bring the curtain down (2 Viewers)

st john

Am I really reading Pressley is a better manager than Mowbray, that we should bring Robins back. You've all gone stark raving bonkers. Has Mowbray made mistakes ? Yes, all managers do, he has persisted with 4-2-3-1 for too long and should change it if only to prove to himself other systems don't work. I don't think he was wise to bring up the 2 occasions it went tits up with boro when we went top, that was a time to put belief into the side that they could stay there, not put doubt into there minds about it going wrong, but I don't think now is the time to change and have prepared myself for the disappointment of missing out this season, it's hard to take given where we have spent most of the season but I think he should get another year given the mess the club was in when he came in. Please though not Robins, look at his record since he left and what the fans of those clubs think of him.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I completely agree with this. IMO one of the most annoying things has been the constant talking down of our position by TM when things were going well, putting doubt in the minds of supporters and those of the team. A great manager should be able to instil absolute confidence in his team not sow doubt in their minds (a skill Clough was so good at). Only a couple of weeks ago we unnecessarily advertised to the world that our only senior goalkeeper was having to play with a shoulder injury.

smouch1975

I would approach robins and give him to the end of season with a big bonus for top 6 position.
So we can reap the financial rewards of a two leg semi and a possible final?

Wow. If you're going for bust and offering bonuses. Get Guss in

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Brylowes

I shouldn't but I've got to say something.
WTF is going on ,we have an organisation in control of the club who
(directly or un-directly) lurch's from one disaster to another with no regard
or respect for the club they are leaving in tatters on their merry way.
Yet more than a few on here will defend,excuse and try to justify everything
they have done and are doing.
on the other hand,
We have a manager with a pedigree and standing in the game well above the
level we are at. He came in and found a shell of a club at rock bottom ,he was
honest from the start & kept us informed.He bought loan players to the club
i dont think many others could of got,then got us playing to a standard that
i and many others couldn't believe.He restored some long overdue belief and
pride in our team.
But now it's time for him to go.
It beggars belief .
Reading some of the views on here lm actually ashamed to be a Cov fan .

Brylowes

Managers can just be a perfect fit at clubs, while at other clubs it just doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

When Robins was here he seemed like the perfect fit.

If he came back surely we would be focusing on what he did for us last time round wouldn't we?
In November did TM seem the perfect fit

Otis

In November did TM seem the perfect fit
He did indeed. And it has all gone wrong since.

We were all saying what a talented team we had back then. Free flowing football, top scorer in the division, scoring lots of goals. Opposition teams simply not being able to cope with us.

What has happened to the free flowing football? Crewe and Bury apart, where have all the goals gone? What happened to teams not being able to live with us?

Fact is, opponents have sussed us out, put in place a game plan and we have had all but no answer. The last time we truly played well was last November.

The most frustrating thing is that while teams have studied us and put in place a game plan, we have not countered that and continue to try and play the same way. We play the same way and it is now not working and unfortunately Mowbray is doing nothing about that. Armstrong continues to be isolated, teams are now coming to the Ricoh and dominating us and the results clearly speak for themselves.

I have always said, it's fine if we want to keep Mowbray, but we have to realise the play-off dream might well and truly be over if he stays in charge.

A counter claim to that is, that if we were to bring someone else in with fresh ideas, that might just save our season.

I'll be very interested to see if we play the same way again tomorrow night, because if we do I think yet another defeat awaits.

Bottom line is, this was the best team we have had where for quite some years (we were all saying it), and now we just look like a very, very average League One outfit.

Something has clearly gone wrong and it seems obvious that teams have put game plans in place that have nullified us, but yet we continue to play the same way.

TM might be scratching his head, but fans can see quite distinctly that our system isn't working.

Looking very much like this will be the third time TM has had teams in the top 6, that have then slumped and slid down the the table and out of play-off contention.

I don't want him sacked, I want him to do something about it.

Nick

Administrator
I shouldn't but I've got to say something.
WTF is going on ,we have an organisation in control of the club who
(directly or un-directly) lurch's from one disaster to another with no regard
or respect for the club they are leaving in tatters on their merry way.
Yet more than a few on here will defend,excuse and try to justify everything
they have done and are doing.
on the other hand,
We have a manager with a pedigree and standing in the game well above the
level we are at. He came in and found a shell of a club at rock bottom ,he was
honest from the start & kept us informed.He bought loan players to the club
i dont think many others could of got,then got us playing to a standard that
i and many others couldn't believe.He restored some long overdue belief and
pride in our team.
But now it's time for him to go.
It beggars belief .
Reading some of the views on here lm actually ashamed to be a Cov fan .
Ashamed why?

Brylowes

He did indeed. And it has all gone wrong since.

We were all saying what a talented team we had back then. Free flowing football, top scorer in the division, scoring lots of goals. Opposition teams simply not being able to cope with us.

What has happened to the free flowing football? Crewe and Bury apart, where have all the goals gone? What happened to teams not being able to live with us?

Fact is, opponents have sussed us out, put in place a game plan and we have had all but no answer. The last time we truly played well was last November.

The most frustrating thing is that while teams have studied us and put in place a game plan, we have not countered that and continue to try and play the same way. We play the same way and it is now not working and unfortunately Mowbray is doing nothing about that. Armstrong continues to be isolated, teams are now coming to the Ricoh and dominating us and the results clearly speak for themselves.

I have always said, it's fine if we want to keep Mowbray, but we have to realise the play-off dream might well and truly be over if he stays in charge.

A counter claim to that is, that if we were to bring someone else in with fresh ideas, that might just save our season.

I'll be very interested to see if we play the same way again tomorrow night, because if we do I think yet another defeat awaits.

Bottom line is, this was the best team we have had where for quite some years (we were all saying it), and now we just look like a very, very average League One outfit.

Something has clearly gone wrong and it seems obvious that teams have put game plans in place that have nullified us, but yet we continue to play the same way.

TM might be scratching his head, but fans can see quite distinctly that our system isn't working.

Looking very much like this will be the third time TM has had teams in the top 6, that have then slumped and slid down the the table and out of play-off contention.

I don't want him sacked, I want him to do something about it.
Fair point well put. But I still think TM represents our best chance of getting out of
this league,if not this year then next.Our early season form was great but I think
it was papering over the cracks of what still is a very broken football club.
Chances are next season we will be in this league again,half the squad will
have moved on & it will be down to the manager to rebuild (again) .
In TM we have an honest hard working football man who has put together
a strong back-room team that just maybe could get something going at
this club.No one can deny form has fell away, I don't know the answer as
to why, no doubt mistakes have been made.
Pushing TM out would be another monumental mistake to add to all
the others made by the fuckwits ruining this club.

lordsummerisle

Only been to one game all season and taht was Scunthorpe away, which was possibly the worst performance by a City team I've ever seen(that includes a lot of bad performances over the years with a lot of poor managers).

At the time though it seemed like it was a very atypical performance.

Would that game still be considered atypical(by those who have been to a lot more games than myself)? Or would it be considered closer to the norm now?

Otis

Only been to one game all season and taht was Scunthorpe away, which was possibly the worst performance by a City team I've ever seen(that includes a lot of bad performances over the years with a lot of poor managers).

Would that game still be considered atypical(by those who have been to a lot more games than myself)? Or would it be considered closer to the norm now?
Closer to the norm.

We were terrible against Scunthorpe at home and worse still against Fleetwood and just totally inept and clueless against Rochdale.

Against Bury we were just lucky that we came up against the worst defensive performance of any team seen here at the Ricoh for a number of seasons.

Last time we played really well at home was Gillingham. Bury was great for sure, but now looking back I think we got carried away and forgot just how poor they truly were on the day.

Johnnythespider

Very difficult to answer that as we are either brilliant or absolutely shite with not much in between.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Dal

Agree with Grendul BUT what about our Captain.. should he not be taking some flack for our poor performance.

What is his purpose if he can't motivate his team mates.

I believe a lot of our weakness in the past few years has been poor leadership on the pitch not just the manager.

Btw.. Asking for Mowbray to leave will be the biggest mistake we make second to when SISU brought our club.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Brilliant. We're now making excuses for the other team.

Yeah lets sack him. Always worked in the past hasn't it?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Brylowes

Ashamed why?
Partly because if some of the opinions expressed on here are at all typical
of the fanbase then we must have the most fickle fans ever.
Lurching from,best manager in years,the messiah,in TM I trust,the new
jimmy hill, extend his contract now.
To.
Clueless, no passion,tactically naive,can't motivate players,bottler.
All in the space of a few weeks.

And partly because I was pissed when I wrote it. :facepalm:

steve82

Agree with Grendul BUT what about our Captain.. should he not be taking some flack for a poor performance.

What is is purpose if he can't motivate his team mates.

I believe a lot of our weakness in the past few years has been poor leadership on the pitch not just the manager.

Btw.. Asking for Mowbray to leave will be the biggest mistake we make second to when SISU brought our club.

If Ricketts wasn't captain he would have been dropped. No doubt about it.

Both spot on, been saying this since Xmas when it was becoming clear this was not a blip.
Ricketts may well be the model professional but he's not a natural leader. TM sets up before kick off and then his captain should take over as the voice on the pitch. Be the man to say this is not what we spoke about and set up to do... Come on lads... Murphy, you've got the beating of your man run at him, flecky head up son, travel that extra 10/20 yards with the ball then knock it out to Murphy in behind the man...
Nothing from our captain.... Saturday the same as the last few months. The occasional clap of hands. Joe Cole was doing all the talking. Time to drop Ricketts, he offers this team nothing from my point of view.

Sky Blue Kid

'were' intelligent. :)

Why not? We need to get out if this mess. Any other suggestions then?

No chance mate. He couldn't get away from CCFC quickly enough. He is the managerial equivalent of Moussa. If we got rid of TM. then for me there is only one man for the job. Ian Dowie, did f**k all wrong and got sacked.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Why are people so confident that we would win the play-offs if we did finish top 6?
We can't score for shit.
None of the recent defensive combinations can defend for shit.
Our record in one-off knock-out matches this season has been shit.

Brylowes

Why are people so confident that we would win the play-offs if we did finish top 6?
We can't score for shit.
None of the recent defensive combinations can defend for shit.
Our record in one-off knock-out matches this season has been shit.
Don't think anyone would be that confident,but it would be great to just
be involved

jimmyhillsfanclub

No chance mate. He couldn't get away from CCFC quickly enough. He is the managerial equivalent of Moussa. If we got rid of TM. then for me there is only one man for the job. Ian Dowie, did f**k all wrong and got sacked.

He's also not even been in the game for about 8 years.......

I'm a firm believer in "never going back"....with very few & rare exception, it never works out....so folks calling for the reinstatement of our ex-managers need to have a re-think.....

Even Grendel has suggested giving Mark robins another spin......WTF?
Jeez.....I mean his stock has really risen since walking out on us for a few extra quid ain't it.....failed at Huddersfield & failed at Scunthorpe......oh yeah...sign him up:facepalm:

covmark

He's also not even been in the game for about 8 years.......

I'm a firm believer in "never going back"....with very few & rare exception, it never works out....so folks calling for the reinstatement of our ex-managers need to have a re-think.....

Even Grendel has suggested giving Mark robins another spin......WTF?
Jeez.....I mean his stock has really risen since walking out on us for a few extra quid ain't it.....failed at Huddersfield & failed at Scunthorpe......oh yeah...sign him up:facepalm:
Good post. I mean Dowie ffs. What planet do some people live on.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Otis

Well yeah, I wouldn't have Dowie....

But Adrian Heath and Andy Thorn could be a good shout.

Otis

And anyway, as has been said, sometimes a manager can just be a good fit.

Look at Mark Hughes. Win ratio with Man City was 46% (he did spend £270 million though).

His win ratio was then 32% at Fulham, so a fail and then 23.5% at QPR, so a massive disaster.

Based on that, who would have him you would have thought? But look, he is at Stoke and has a brilliant win ratio of over 40%!

Sometimes managers are just a good fit and I would be fine with Robins coming back here.

Hugh Jarse

OK, so we replace Mowbray but his replacement will still have to work with the same squad of muppets who are the ones whose feet our plight should be laid at!

Otis

OK, so we replace Mowbray but his replacement will still have to work with the same squad of muppets who are the ones whose feet our plight should be laid at!
Well then it does indeed come down to, is it the players or is it the system they are playing in?

We certainly can't expect Armstrong to score if we don't give him the ball and we can't expect him to score if he's the only player in the box and is heavily marked.

AFCCOVENTRY

Mowbray isn't going to get the sack this season.

Have a feeling he will walk in the summer as he doesn't have any perm players! We will be stuffed with the 5 loan player rule next season!

Samo

Well then it does indeed come down to, is it the players or is it the system they are playing in?

We certainly can't expect Armstrong to score if we don't give him the ball and we can't expect him to score if he's the only player in the box and is heavily marked.

For me, it's the system... I know TM is known for attacking teams but I think it's too defensive with 2 defensive minded midfielders. I'd like to see Vince sitting in front of the back four and then either 3 attacking mids behind 2 strikers or 4 attacking mids behind 1 striker.

chiefdave

Good post. I mean Dowie ffs. What planet do some people live on.

To be fair to Dowie since relegation from the Prem only Nilsson, Black and Robbins have a better win % than him. Although that might say more about how consistently shit we've been than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread