Time to bring the curtain down (1 Viewer)

H

Huckerby

Not always, you see a lot of managers go into a job and do very well initially with players they inherited and then struggle in the following seasons. Pressley was fortunate in that way to follow a relatively successfully manager in Robins who had also put together a decent squad for Pressley to inherit.

Another example is Martinez at Everton, inherited a very solid and good Everton team that Moyes had built, Martinez gave them a bit more freedom and added Lukaku but they still had all the good habits and discipline Moyes drilled into them and suddenly you now have a very good team with and they finished with 72 points in his first season.
A few years on now and that organisation and discipline Moyes instilled into Everton has slowly being lost as it hasn't been practiced, and now Martinez shortcomings as a manager are now being shown up.

Pressley inherited a good squad and turned it into a very poor squad.

Mowbray inherited a very poor squad and has turned it into a good squad which has under performed over the last few months.
Would usually agree, but am now thinking he made an average squad that over performed for the first half of the season

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bawtryneal

I cannot believe what I am reading. The club needs stability and a long term plan not constant change. TM,JC and MV are a good combination in my opinion. Stick with them and we can still make the play offs.

Otis

I cannot believe what I am reading. The club needs stability and a long term plan not constant change. TM,JC and MV are a good combination in my opinion. Stick with them and we can still make the play offs.
Maybe, but doesn't the Middlesborough thing bother you? The fact that twice before TM has had teams in the play-off positions at Christmas and they then fell away badly?

If it happens here this season that will be three times.

That gives me no confidence at all for next season and if we were to get in the top 6 again I would very much just be waiting for us to slide back out again, thinking there was a slump just waiting to happen.

NorthernWisdom

It does, and I would stick by them. You're not suddenly a naughty boy from being a managerial God a couple of months earlier.W

ish the management would put in place a long term plan, mind you...

Sick Boy

Why is it always the assumption that there is never anyone better out there than the failing current incumbent? Right now I'd be happy to take a gamble on some maverick loon to at least have a go at jump starting us back into the play off pack. I don't know, something just tells me things aren't gonna improve much between now and seasons end. :thinking about:

We told the same about Thorn as well hahaha

Sick Boy

Please go away G, I know you crave attention by trying to be controversial but bore off.

Mowbray has already proven himself to be a much better manager than SP, going pear shaped at the moment but needs to be given another transfer window in the summer.

After his recent record of signing players....are you sure?

SkyBlue_Bear83

After his recent record of signing players....are you sure?

He fucked up with some in January, but January is never the easiest time to sign players as we know. We needed players and the pool of players you can sign from in January is massively limited to the players which would be available in the summer.

I'd still be happy for him to have another summer transfer window as I was very happy with the work he done last summer.

covboy1987

Unfortunately this is not working at all.

Mowbray has been out manoeuvred by opposition managers for several weeks now. Losing home games to Fleetwood and Rochdale is not acceptable.

People can complain about budgets but he has a bigger budget than at least 3 teams in the top 6. He has badly let the club down since November and has made some seriously bad decisions regarding player signings.

We have made zero process since Pressley after the first third of the season. He admits he has no answers.

Well I've got an answer.[/QUOTE

People seem to have very short memories as not so long ago, we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth - don't think anyone would have thought we would be challenging for promotion and play-offs

Otis

Unfortunately this is not working at all.

Mowbray has been out manoeuvred by opposition managers for several weeks now. Losing home games to Fleetwood and Rochdale is not acceptable.

People can complain about budgets but he has a bigger budget than at least 3 teams in the top 6. He has badly let the club down since November and has made some seriously bad decisions regarding player signings.

We have made zero process since Pressley after the first third of the season. He admits he has no answers.

Well I've got an answer.[/QUOTE

People seem to have very short memories as not so long ago, we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth - don't think anyone would have thought we would be challenging for promotion and play-offs
And it looks like this season we won't be either.

jimchin

I think we probably have to let him see it out, but serious questions have to be asked....letting an actual ( and decent although not brilliant) Coventry player go out on loan and then losing match after match after match with young loanees simply looks foolish. Something has gone badly wrong somewhere, teams have found us out after being initially surprised and it appears he has no answers

mark82

Do we have an average squad for this league?

Way above average. In fact, probably second to only Wigan.

We need to bring in a manager who can turn things around. It may just be the boost we need to gain promotion. Like the Robins idea but plenty of options out there both with experience and without. Choosing the right one is the tough part.

I was in favour of Mowbray until recently but this form is beyond ridiculous now. Personally, based on Anderson's remarks, I can't see us making any change. Stick another year on the years without top 6 finish stat.

Calista

He did say it was the council's fault...

Of course, Robins was also wise enough to bog off while riding that wave, rather than waiting for the inevitable slump that comes for all managers of CCFC!

Indeed he did point the finger at the Council, and was full of praise for Joy & Tim even as he walked out on them in the middle of the battle. I somehow doubt they would be keen to sign him up again.

I know what you mean about the slump - it would obviously have come! But personally I think quitting while we were on a roll was a massive mistake. He really had something special going here for a few months, and we'll never know if he could have sustained it. But his record since then is hardly impressive.

Sick Boy

He fucked up with some in January, but January is never the easiest time to sign players as we know. We needed players and the pool of players you can sign from in January is massively limited to the players which would be available in the summer.

I'd still be happy for him to have another summer transfer window as I was very happy with the work he done last summer.

Yes I agree.

However, if we do decide to give him the summer transfer window, let's hope he becomes less stubborn and has a plan b, as there's little point in allowing a manager to sign their own players then sacking him again.

Grendel

How many decent permanent signings has he made? I can think of one.

Look at pressleys record since hes been with fleetwood the one thing i liked about him he gave youth a chance what do we get a few over 30s and mr fortune change the record tony shit or bust young kids will play for the badge

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Grendel

skybluetony176

His record with us? Really?

No. His record full stop. Or do you really want to be selective on what parts of a managers record we hire him on? I'll help you out. He was sacked from his last two jobs because his clubs were fighting relegation.

Plus if Robins had have been here as long as TM or SP you'd have been the one leading for his calls to go. That's the sort of idiot you are.

Grendel

No. His record full stop. Or do you really want to be selective on what parts of a managers record we hire him on? I'll help you out. He was sacked from his last two jobs because his clubs were fighting relegation.

Plus if Robins had have been here as long as TM or SP you'd have been the one leading for his calls to go. That's the sort of idiot you are.

Are the other posters who believe this is a good call idiots as well - not nice to Otis is it?

If your checking records in league one I would check the impact he has in the first 4-5 months at clubs he is at.

Or indeed check his whole record at Scunthorpe which actually pretty close as mowbrays is here.

I can assure you if Mowbray stays to the end of the season Pressley will have a better managerial career record with us than him.

Still keep your head in the sand.

There is no long term. This is the one chance. You think he will turn it round that is your view.

My view is he won't as his track record is an inability to ever turn things round.

So you need a manager with a track record of an instant impact.

Keep digging Tony, why not resurrect your post bury post so we can all have a good laugh at real shot termism. You thought we'd turned a corner.

Those who've been to lot more CCFC games than you knew better

Didn't we Gareth?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I can assure you if Mowbray stays to the end of the season Pressley will have a better managerial career record with us than him.

I've done the math on that and statistically we only need to win one match between now and the end of the season for Mowbray to maintain a higher win % than Pressley come the end of the season

skybluetony176

Are the other posters who believe this is a good call idiots as well - not nice to Otis is it?

If your checking records in league one I would check the impact he has in the first 4-5 months at clubs he is at.

Or indeed check his whole record at Scunthorpe which actually pretty close as mowbrays is here.

Still keep your head in the sand.

There is no long term. This is the one chance. You think he will turn it round that is your view.

My view is he won't as his track record is an inability to ever turn things round.

So you need a manager with a track record of an instant impact.

Keep digging Tony, why not resurrect your post bury post so we can all have a good laugh at real shot termism. You thought we'd turned a corner.

Those who've been to lot more CCFC games than you knew better

Didn't we Gareth?

If we're recruiting on the basis of the first 4-5 months let's keep Mowbray then.

Your thinking as always is illogical.

Let's change the manager again. The definition of insanity. Doing the same things expecting different results. Give Mowbray enough time to turn things around and build a club. He's been a victim of his own success and long-term he's done enough so far to warrant keeping his job.

As usual with your selective memory you've put two and two together and come up with a gazillion.

You conveniently forget that he's rebuilding a club not just a team, that the training ground was a soulless dump, that the scouting network consisted of a spread sheet on SP's personal laptop and that's just the things we know about. This club was an empty shell when he arrived and anyone who's dumb enough to think that that sort wholesale rebuilding can take effect and hold in the short term needs their head checking. Baring alot of luck we were never going up this season and the fact that we're in with a chance at all is down to the good work of TM and MV undoing years of bad work by our owners and the incompetent idiots they've chose to put in charge. This is the first time since SISU arrived that the club as a whole (that's everything of the pitch as well as on) has consistently moved forward and that's because of TM and MV and despite of SISU.

You really need to wake up and see the bigger picture.

By the way if I was looking for "assurances" it wouldn't be from a bloke who had constantly predicted the exact opposite of what finally materialised on anything to do with the club.

Last edited:

Otis

Managers can just be a perfect fit at clubs, while at other clubs it just doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

When Robins was here he seemed like the perfect fit.

If he came back surely we would be focusing on what he did for us last time round wouldn't we?

Ibby

Mowbray is a good manager, he needs to save his job by sorting out the issue he got. Play-offs we were in all season until now.

skybluetony176

I've done the math on that and statistically we only need to win one match between now and the end of the season for Mowbray to maintain a higher win % than Pressley come the end of the season

Play the game CCFC Grendulls repeated the opposite so that's better than fact.

skybluetony176

Mowbray is a good manager, he needs to save his job by sorting out the issue he got. Play-offs we were in all season until now.

Mowbray is a manager of vast experience. He saw the writing on the wall all along. He was very quick to point out that he'd been here before and that he'd had a team top twice by Xmas and then not made the playoffs. He was giving the warnings out early doors, he knows how good this team is and as typical fans we were to busy convincing ourselves we were going to walk the league to take heed of what he was telling us.

Does he have the ability to turn this around? Absolutely. Do we have the right team to do it this season? Maybe, maybe not. I feel he's the right man to take us forward though. People just need a reality check of where we were this time last season both on and off the pitch to where we are now both on and off the pitch and the progress is undeniably.

People are often a victim of their own expectations and over hyping them. This is one of those times.

Johnnythespider

Am I really reading Pressley is a better manager than Mowbray, that we should bring Robins back. You've all gone stark raving bonkers. Has Mowbray made mistakes ? Yes, all managers do, he has persisted with 4-2-3-1 for too long and should change it if only to prove to himself other systems don't work. I don't think he was wise to bring up the 2 occasions it went tits up with boro when we went top, that was a time to put belief into the side that they could stay there, not put doubt into there minds about it going wrong, but I don't think now is the time to change and have prepared myself for the disappointment of missing out this season, it's hard to take given where we have spent most of the season but I think he should get another year given the mess the club was in when he came in. Please though not Robins, look at his record since he left and what the fans of those clubs think of him.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bugsy

Mowbray is a manager of vast experience. He saw the writing on the wall all along. He was very quick to point out that he'd been here before and that he'd had a team top twice by Xmas and then not made the playoffs. He was giving the warnings out early doors, he knows how good this team is and as typical fans we were to busy convincing ourselves we were going to walk the league to take heed of what he was telling us.

Does he have the ability to turn this around? Absolutely. Do we have the right team to do it this season? Maybe, maybe not. I feel he's the right man to take us forward though. People just need a reality check of where we were this time last season both on and off the pitch to where we are now both on and off the pitch and the progress is undeniably.

People are often a victim of their own expectations and over hyping them. This is one of those times.

I agree wiv this. No good changing managers now. We still have made a great improvement on past seasons and were still in with a chance. Lets all get behind them and see what happens come may...PUSB

chiefdave

I'm not a big fan of constantly changing manager but what else do you do to change things up? If we blow it this season we've got a complete rebuild over the summer. What are the chances of us building a squad of free transfers and loans who can push for promotion next year?

Even if we start well everyone will be waiting for it to go wrong. We have form for post Xmas slumps and Mowbray does as well.

skybluetony176

I'm not a big fan of constantly changing manager but what else do you do to change things up? If we blow it this season we've got a complete rebuild over the summer. What are the chances of us building a squad of free transfers and loans who can push for promotion next year?
Even if we start well everyone will be waiting for it to go wrong. We have form for post Xmas slumps and Mowbray does as well.

No difference from this season then. So what do we have to gain by doing what we normally do and sacking the manager at this stage of the season? Hasn't worked in the past.

Paxman II

TM is the best we have had in a long time. We have had a great season and may still win the play off's and get promoted. He has experience and guile others lack in spades. have some confidence in the guy that rejuvenated us. The turn around is coming and we are far from out of this yet.

chiefdave

No difference from this season then. So what do we have to gain by doing what we normally do and sacking the manager at this stage of the season? Hasn't worked in the past.

No different from most seasons and how many times have we had a genuine promotion push?

Users who are viewing this thread