The Jones Enigma (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

He was on the bench for 30 games and other than Covid there was only one other minor injury

Grendel , the way we've handled jones is absolutely the correct thing to do .. play him and he has a serious injury again we are liable for his rehabilitation, such a high risk player to have in and around the squad its easy to see why he's played so little

24 games in 4 seasons , end of story

TomRad85

I just hope this news doesn’t mean one or two posters information doesn’t start to dry up :unsure:
I know a member of his family pretty well and the only info I ever got was what clubs were looking at him when he was trying to get a move away and that he thought Peter Vincenti was 'a shit baller'

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KenilworthSkyBlue

Grendel , the way we've handled jones is absolutely the correct thing to do .. play him and he has a serious injury again we are liable for his rehabilitation, such a high risk player to have in and around the squad its easy to see why he's played so little

24 games in 4 seasons , end of story

I couldn't disagree more on this.

I'd wager there was a promise of game time this season upon him signing an extension last summer and that hasn't really at all materialised.

If he wasn't in Robins' plans come January, he should've been sent out on loan to give him what he's been sorely lacking over the past 4.5 years - game time - and that didn't materialise either. A loan would've been an ideal opportunity for Jones to not only showcase his ability, but also to prove his durability in first team games.

The fact that opportunity wasn't afforded to him only makes his chances of finding a decent club this summer that much harder. Like I said it's quite likely he may even have to go on trial in order to prove himself.

From the outside looking in it seems like he was just totally forgotten about.

rexo87

I know a member of his family pretty well and the only info I ever got was what clubs were looking at him when we was trying to get a move away and that he thought Peter Vincenti was 'a shit baller'

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

He wasn’t wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Sad to see him leave to be honest. But also feel it's right for the player. The stats suggest it's the right move for us too, but in the small glimpses we got of him this season, he impressed me and a part of me hoped he would get another shot. He certainly offered more threat than some others brought on as subs. He's been a credit to himself and the club off the pitch, the club have done the right thing by standing by him through dark times and rehabilitating him. I wish him nothing but the best, and hope he goes on to have a successful career. I also hope we ensure we go after a similar type of player, as although we haven't seen it a lot lately, he was one of probably two players in our squad who can beat a man with close ball control and skill. Best of luck Jodi.

Evo1883

I'd wager there was a promise of game time this season upon him signing an extension last summer and that hasn't really at all materialised.

If he wasn't in Robins' plans come January, he should've been sent out on loan to give him what he's been sorely lacking over the past 4.5 years - game time - and that didn't materialise either. A loan would've been an ideal opportunity for Jones to not only showcase his ability, but also to prove his durability in first team games.

The fact that opportunity wasn't afforded to him only makes his chances of finding a decent club this summer that much harder. Like I said it's quite likely he may even have to go on trial in order to prove himself.

Hardly forgotten about as he was in the squad over half the season .. just not risked , that's how it looks .. 4 nightmare years , thousands spent on rehabilitation.. club doesn't want anymore of that and rightly so .. the fact we paid him another years wage shows we did the lad well .. he will drop down a level on less money arguably now ?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Depends on whether anyone was willing to cover all his wages really.

looks like we kept him for cover and just in case.Ultimately Robins is responsible for CCFC not Jones’ future prospects

KenilworthSkyBlue

looks like we kept him for cover and just in case.Ultimately Robins is responsible for CCFC not Jones’ future prospects

We were paying the majority of the rest of the bomb squad's wages whilst they were out on loan what makes Jones any different?

Equally he's likely one of the smallest earners in the first team.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Hardly forgotten about as he was in the squad over half the season .. just not risked , that's how it looks .. 4 nightmare years , thousands spent on rehabilitation.. club doesn't want anymore of that and rightly so .. the fact we paid him another years wage shows we did the lad well .. he will drop down a level on less money arguably now ?

Well it's not how it looked at all.

Robins said last summer his knees are as good as they were previously and the surgeries have been very successful. He also said around December time that he sees Jones playing a part in the remainder of the season.

He wasn't played because he wasn't deemed good enough as his presence on the bench was down to the fact that there was no one else available to take his place.

Evo1883

Well it's not how it looked at all.

Robins said last summer his knees are as good as they were previously and the surgeries have been very successful. He also said around December time that he sees Jones playing a part in the remainder of the season.

He wasn't played because he wasn't deemed good enough as his presence on the bench was down to the fact that there was no one else available to take his place.

I'm not sure I understand why you are bothered ?
He's played next to no football for 4 years

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We were paying the majority of the rest of the bomb squad's wages whilst they were out on loan what makes Jones any different?

The rest we had cover for. We had no cover for AM.

the fact that He was a small earner made him the best type of player to have as cover

KenilworthSkyBlue

Ultimately, what players has Robins willingly let go who proved him wrong? Clarke Harris at a push

Westbrooke was one who left with much fanfare but is now not making 21st place in League 2 Stevenage’s squad

Clarke-Harris definitely.

Robins didn't play at all to his strengths and tried to fashion him into something that he wasn't.

That was pretty much shown immediately after he left us.

better days

I believe the manager wanted to keep him here in January as he saw him being involved in the 2nd half of the season
He said as much in the media but it didn't happen
Could debate all day long as to why
Shame the lad wasn't told before the game on Saturday so he could have said goodbye to the fans

SlowerThanPlatt

I believe the manager wanted to keep him here in January as he saw him being involved in the 2nd half of the season
He said as much in the media but it didn't happen
Could debate all day long as to why
Shame the lad wasn't told before the game on Saturday so he could have said goodbye to the fans

I mean….surely he had an inclination that if the manager uses you for 90 minutes over a season your time might be up?

Grendel

He played half an hour first game of the season

covboy1987

Think they should give him a 6 month extension as they have invested quite a lot i imagine to get him this far - Why give another team a leg up if he starts now finding his form -I would send him on loan to league 1 till January and ensuring game time, and make a decision on his future after watching his appearances

PVA

It’s a shame how it’s worked out for him as he clearly has an awful lot of natural talent but those injuries have clearly taken its toll, unsurprisingly.

I think he deserves credit for how he’s handled himself and to even play a few minutes of Championship football after what he’s been through deserves some credit.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

They’ve invested in Reba
Think they should give him a 6 month extension as they have invested quite a lot i imagine to get him this far - Why give another team a leg up if he starts now finding his form -I would send him on loan to league 1 till January and ensuring game time, and make a decision on his future after watching his appearances
They invested rehab costs, that was the least the club could do.

he’s had 3 ACL injuries, we’re better cutting loose - if he does it again, we’re stuck in the same way we are with Hilsnner

KenilworthSkyBlue

Both played more football at Championship level and less of a risk

If Robins was that concerned about risking him in a game. Why extend his contract for another year last summer?

Equally why come out and say he'll play a part this season?

Jay Spearing has PL experience doesn't mean he should still be featuring for Liverpool?

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s not about injuries this season, he’s been fit for the majority. He doesn’t have a lifetime contract here, he needs to move on.

Evo1883

If Robins was that concerned about risking him in a game. Why extend his contract for another year last summer?

Equally why come out and say he'll play a part this season?

Jay Spearing has PL experience doesn't mean he should be featuring for Liverpool?

Allen and Shipley have done more for the club than Jones has in 5 years .. I'm not going to sit here and debate why the club didn't play the second coming of Darren Anderton over players who are fit and available more often than not

Nonsense argument

rob9872

Not sure I agree on JCH. Hardly ripped the Championship up, his style didnt suit us and I'm not convinced by his attitude. One really good season at a lower level with a team who play to his strengths. A number of pens too.

Grendel

Not really. Bright was seemingly brought in ahead of him at the beginning of the summer and at one point he played LWB didn't he?

Hes longest appearance of the season was LWB

SlowerThanPlatt

Not sure I agree on JCH. Hardly ripped the Championship up, his style didnt suit us and I'm not convinced by his attitude. One really good season at a lower level with a team who play to his strengths. A number of pens too.
He scored 12 this season in a relegated side - Walker was our top scorer last season with 7 and we comfortably stayed up in the end

NorthernWisdom

Allen and Shipley have done more for the club than Jones has in 5 years .. I'm not going to sit here and debate why the club didn't play the second coming of Darren Anderton over players who are fit and available more often than not

Nonsense argument
Yeah, my view is we've given him an extra year to prove he won't have yet another cruciate injury, he's played some U23 games so hasn't been completely without football, and that year will hopefully help him get a contract somewhere else that would have been far harder for him to get this time last year.

All the best for him anyway, he deserves some luck and hope he does well.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Not really. Bright was seemingly brought in ahead of him at the beginning of the summer and at one point he played LWB didn't he?
And bright was soon gone. He probably would have gone out in Jan had Bright still been here. But that didn’t work out.

ultimately robins must have seen him as someone to make up the numbers. As I’ve said Robins is looking out for CCFC not Jones’ future

Users who are viewing this thread