The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (37 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

I'm not entirely sure what you mean? At some point it is going to be time to look at the country itself for its failings and not always looking for someone/something to blame.
Our failings are lack of housing and a health service that can't cope because of the massive increase of the population. And why is that I wonder.....

SIR ERNIE

German car manufacturers make higher margins and profit in the UK than in any other European market and in reality there's only one country of the 27 that will decide how this deal is constructed. Certainly not a pipsqueak nonentity from a country that manufacturers nothing.

Exactly. I wonder what the reaction from CEOs at Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW would be when they see their UK buyers switching to Lexus/Nissan/Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi. They'd go mad at Merkel.

And that's just the car industry.

Astute

Out of interest- how's that work with the UK auto parts suppliers that supply Europe? Will they have a say in May's tactics?

The most influential country is Germany, and hopefully they will be pulling the strings.
So Germany should carry on deciding our future?

Sick Boy

Our failings are lack of housing and a health service that can't cope because of the massive increase of the population. And why is that I wonder.....

...because the government has failed to invest in both of them? Migrants from the EU are net contributors to the country overall and fill roles in key services.

If you genuinely believe the EU is the root of all evil in the UK then in my humble opinion you are going to end up a little disappointed.

Astute

Eh? Barclays are going to Dublin, as are Standard Charter, Lloyds to Berlin and HSBC to Paris.JP Morgan splitting between Frankfurt and Dublin, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup the same, Goldman Sachs to Frankfurt and Credit Suisse to Dublin.

It would be a big problem for people who ended up with negative equity, especially if the drop in the housing market was a result of economic uncertainly and threat to jobs.
Suddenly there are threats coming from all over the place since the general election has been called. They are the same banks that said they would pull out then changed their minds after the vote.

For the first time in my life I might vote Tory.

martcov

People buy our items because they areof a high quality. The days of our poor quality cars are gone.

Who said we didn't want free trade anyway? It is the EU using it as a threat on what will happen.

I thought we were preparing to going to leave the single market because of free movement? That is our threat.The EU is offering us the right to stay in the single market if we accept the rules - we are saying alter the rules or we will leave the single market.

And yes poor quality cars couldn't compete against other EU cars. We had to do better and we did.

Astute

...because the government has failed to invest in both of them? Migrants from the EU are net contributors to the country overall and fill roles in key services.

If you genuinely believe the EU is the root of all evil in the UK then in my humble opinion you are going to end up a little disappointed.
We only need so many more key workers because of the amount of new arrivals. I would prefer to choose who to let in and bring in more from the commonwealth. Much better than just anyone who wants so we can't control numbers.

Astute

I thought we were preparing to going to leave the single market because of free movement? That is our threat.The EU is offering us the right to stay in the single market if we accept the rules - we are saying alter the rules or we will leave the single market.

And yes poor quality cars couldn't compete against other EU cars. We had to do better and we did.

So you don't know what it is all about?

Just in case.....we want control of our borders. Juncker says we can't just pick what we want. All or nothing he says. So out it is. And his threats won't work.

Sick Boy

We only need so many more key workers because of the amount of new arrivals. I would prefer to choose who to let in and bring in more from the commonwealth. Much better than just anyone who wants so we can't control numbers.

Ahh yes because May was so good at getting non-EU migration under control, wasn't she? Again, your mates in the Tory party have already admitted migration is unlikely to decrease.

martcov

So Germany should carry on deciding our future?

We had every right to be making decisions with the 27. We are up with France Germany and Italy when it comes to economic influence in the EU, but we have decided to leave the others to decide the future direction of the EU.

Germany isn't the only country in the EU and it doesn't decide everything- we should hope Germany does use it's influence though as it has an interest in a good relationship to us.

Merkel does not rule us from Brussels - that sounds like the Express or Mail.

Sick Boy

Is Brexit 100% going ahead? Like, say Labour won the GE, could they go back on Article 50?

Any party could say go the European Union we don't want to go ahead. Some believe May could her mandate to allow her to move away from the hardliners' desire for a Hard Brexit

Sick Boy

We had every right to be making decisions with the 27. We are up with France Germany and Italy when it comes to economic influence in the EU, but we have decided to leave the others to decide the future direction of the EU.

Germany isn't the only country in the EU and it doesn't decide everything- we should hope Germany does use it's influence though as it has an interest in a good relationship to us.

To be a successful economy the UK will need to continue to trade with the world's largest trading bloc, which means meeting certain regulations, which it will have no influence over.

ccfc92

Could you explain this please Mart :)

martcov

Could you explain this please Mart :)

Yes, take Jaguar as an axample, or further back the Hillman Imp. Jaguar had a terrible reputation for spending more time in the garage tha on the road at one time. The Imp was a good car, but built by ex miners in Linwood. Quality was crap.... there were "Monday cars" built with a hang over, and "Friday cars" built after a few jars at Friday lunch ( pay day ). The Fletchampstead pub had strippers on Friday lunchtime - which had a negative effect on quality at the Triumph.... and so on... Cars took more man hours to build than in, say, Germany. Our car industry- what's left of it - now produces cars which can hold their own in Europe. Take Land Rover, sales are good in Germany and Jaguar has a good name.

ccfc92

Yes, take Jaguar as an axample, or further back the Hillman Imp. Jaguar had a terrible reputation for spending more time in the garage tha on the road at one time. The Imp was a good car, but built by ex miners in Linwood. Quality was crap.... there were "Monday cars" built with a hang over, and "Friday cars" built after a few jars at Friday lunch ( pay day ). The Fletchampstead pub had strippers on Friday lunchtime - which had a negative effect on quality at the Triumph.... and so on... Cars took more man hours to build than in, say, Germany. Our car industry- what's left of it - now produces cars which can hold their own in Europe. Take Land Rover, sales are good in Germany and Jaguar has a good name.

Different era though, to be fair? The era of "a few pints at lunchtime".

You, could argue premium EU/Any cars have less quality now, whereas decades ago they were "reliable", especially Mercedes-Benz.

Liquid Gold

Migrants work in public services and are a net positive to the economy.

I half hope people get the brexit they want and end up with a monocultural England struggling to maintain itself so that they will finally realise that people born the other side of an imaginary line are not worse people.

Astute

Tell me what decisions we have been able to make as part of the EU then?

Astute

Any party could say go the European Union we don't want to go ahead. Some believe May could her mandate to allow her to move away from the hardliners' desire for a Hard Brexit
Do you think we are thick? It is Juncker that wants a hard brexit. He is trying to stop others leaving in the future. What right has an alcoholic nobody that we never voted for got to decide our future?

Astute

So we should stay in the EU because the unions were too strong 40 years ago?

Sick Boy

Do you think we are thick? It is Juncker that wants a hard brexit. He is trying to stop others leaving in the future. What right has an alcoholic nobody that we never voted for got to decide our future?

There are also members of the Tory party who would like to see a hard brexit and no deal.

The UK and the EU27 will be the ones deciding the future relationship. Reverting to personal abuse of someone is a bit unfair as well.

Liquid Gold

Well, you're effectively calling Leave voters white supremacists.
OK, fair enough, maybe I wasn't being clear enough. I don't think all leave voters are racists. I do however believe we have an increasing problem with racists in this country emboldened by the leave vote who won't listen to evidence. If these people are forced to change their way of thinking due to the inevitable negative effects of a potential hard brexit then I think that's a good thing.

Astute

Migrants work in public services and are a net positive to the economy.

I half hope people get the brexit they want and end up with a monocultural England struggling to maintain itself so that they will finally realise that people born the other side of an imaginary line are not worse people.
There is nothing here anybody can take seriously.

Astute

OK, fair enough, maybe I wasn't being clear enough. I don't think all leave voters are racists. I do however believe we have an increasing problem with racists in this country emboldened by the leave vote who won't listen to evidence. If these people are forced to change their way of thinking due to the inevitable negative effects of a potential hard brexit then I think that's a good thing.
Tell Juncker to stop acting like a prick then.

Astute

May is behaving just as badly with her posturing about being a "bloody difficult women", there are people's futures and livelihoods at stake here.
So she should roll over and let him have his own way?

Liquid Gold

Tell Juncker to stop acting like a prick then.
I'll try but I doubt he'll listen, he's only acting out the will of the heads 27 democratically elected governments and a democratically elected continental parliament.

Maybe we can start by telling our government to stop acting like pricks and using the lives of thousands of Europeans keeping our public services alive as bargaining chips.

Users who are viewing this thread