The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (51 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martcov

Agreed, but as I've said above, there is also a strong 'I hope Brexit fails' rhetoric, which seems to fit alongside the current fashionable trend of hating your own country.

I wish the nonsense would stop. We need to get our house in order, and any criticism we have should be constructive.

There is a big difference between hating your country and hating the way your country is going. Back to nativism will do nobody any good.

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

Are you saying that May 's tactic is to look like an unprepared wanker? Sounds like a perfect plan Boldrick.
Not specifically that but to appear in some mild form of disarray or unpreparedness would allow plenty of room for surprises around the negotiating table...stuff which we will not be party to for probably 25yrs or more

And sorry to appear pedantic it's Baldrick...and no Prince George, that is not my name

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

No. The question was about being better off or not- not on irrational nationalistic feelings..
No. It's not irrational to believe that people who actually live in your country will make better decisions than those who live far away. The bureaucrats in Brussels are balancing the best interests of several countries, they don't care about Britain..

martcov

No. It's not irrational to believe that people who actually live in your country will make better decisions than those who live far away. The bureaucrats in Brussels are balancing the best interests of several countries, they don't care about Britain..

Those peoples who live a short distance away as opposed to, say, our commonwealth or the USA, include our representatives and do not make all decisions regarding our country.

martcov

Not specifically that but to appear in some mild form of disarray or unpreparedness would allow plenty of room for surprises around the negotiating table...stuff which we will not be party to for probably 25yrs or more

And sorry to appear pedantic it's Baldrick...and no Prince George, that is not my name

I think that there will indeed be many surprises along the way as the decision to leave was more emotional than a thought out strategy.
Sorry about the spelling mistake. I thought Bazza was short for Baldrick, and it was a cunning plan rather than a perfect plan. Sorry about that.

shmmeee

The bureaucrats in Westminster are balancing the interests of all constituencies, they don't care about Coventry South.

The bureaucrats in the Council House are balancing the interests of all Wards, they don't care about Earldson.

The bureaucrats in the HENA are balancing the interests of all streets in the area, they don't care about The Riddings.

The bureaucrats in The Riddings Neighbourhood Watch are balancing the interests of all houses on the street, they don't care about number 73.

The bureaucrats in the Living Room are balancing the interests of all members of the household, they don't care about me.

The bureaucrats in the right hemisphere of my brain are balancing the interests of all my body parts, they don't care about my spleen.

Gazolba

The bureaucrats in Westminster are balancing the interests of all constituencies, they don't care about Coventry South.

The bureaucrats in the Council House are balancing the interests of all Wards, they don't care about Earldson.

The bureaucrats in the HENA are balancing the interests of all streets in the area, they don't care about The Riddings.

The bureaucrats in The Riddings Neighbourhood Watch are balancing the interests of all houses on the street, they don't care about number 73.

The bureaucrats in the Living Room are balancing the interests of all members of the household, they don't care about me.

The bureaucrats in the right hemisphere of my brain are balancing the interests of all my body parts, they don't care about my spleen.
All true, but the fact remains your interests are more likely to be in common with people that live nearby rather than far away.
Ever heard of "out of sight, out of mind"?

Astute

I also came from a working class Irish family, oh well.....

I would also have zero chance of home ownership in the UK either due to a lack finance of deposit etc.
Housing in the UK is expensive because there is a massive shortage. Wages are lower because of the unlimited amount of people who can come and live here.

The latest stats out show that over 50% of people in the UK are on benefits of some sort. Who or what is to blame?

martcov

Housing in the UK is expensive because there is a massive shortage. Wages are lower because of the unlimited amount of people who can come and live here.

The latest stats out show that over 50% of people in the UK are on benefits of some sort. Who or what is to blame?

The employers organization has just expressed concern that they cannot get enough staff in such areas as hospitality, caring and agriculture, which means they need more, not less immigrants. High house prices fuel demand for new housing which employs people in the construction industry- causing the so called multiplier effect as their spending boosts other branches.

Not a simple answer to your question.

Covstu

The employers organization has just expressed concern that they cannot get enough staff in such areas as hospitality, caring and agriculture, which means they need more, not less immigrants. High house prices fuel demand for new housing which employs people in the construction industry- causing the so called multiplier effect as their spending boosts other branches.

Not a simple answer to your question.
In addition we build the wrong house types for the amount of land we have in the country. At this rate there will be little greenfield in the next twenty years

martcov

All true, but the fact remains your interests are more likely to be in common with people that live nearby rather than far away.
Ever heard of "out of sight, out of mind"?

Our common European interests are better represented by the EU than CCC, but CCC / Birmingham Metropolitan Region are and should be responsible for bin collection, local economy etc.. If we go it alone, as seems to be the idea, we will not be represented in local ( in our geographical position ) European decision making. We will be tied through trade details to the USA - at present ruled by an idiot who is trying to prove that he is good at making deals- or Australia and New Zealand on the other side of the planet. Europe would seem to be the local area you are talking about as regarding our interests.

martcov

In addition we build the wrong house types for the amount of land we have in the country. At this rate there will be little greenfield in the next twenty years

The rate of growth will change, especially after Brexit, but the demand will also decline as housing catches up with population growth.

Sick Boy

2% of the country is currently built on (fake news blah blah blah)...if you genuinely believe that upon leaving the EU wages are going to rise, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Astute

2% of the country is currently built on (fake news blah blah blah)...if you genuinely believe that upon leaving the EU wages are going to rise, you'll be in for a rude awakening.
You moan that house prices are too high. You moan that you can't save enough for a deposit. But you want to blame anything but the open border policy that the EU forced upon us.

SkyblueBazza

Wages will have to rise otherwise economic growth will stagnate as people will be unable to spend, poverty will become an even bigger emarrassment, & investment will decline...lower tax revenues...poorer infrastructure... etc

martcov

Wages will have to rise otherwise economic growth will stagnate as people will be unable to spend, poverty will become an even bigger emarrassment, & investment will decline...lower tax revenues...poorer infrastructure... etc

Stagnation may well happen - when there is a sudden drop in demand for houses owing to population stagnation or decline, lack of workers to harvest crops or to look after the sick.....not to mention exporters whose goods will have to controlled and maybe have to pay tariffs, actually moving production to Europe...

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, there's a quest for profit, so housebuilders build massive 'detached' (inches between them) houses, as opposed to either a load of 2 bed terraces, or flats.

Especially bad in villages, who don't want to have to lower themselves to live with the riff-raff who could only afford a 2 bed house. The irony being, those very people are often the family of those who come from said villages, unable to afford to live there as prices rise...

Astute

Stagnation may well happen - when there is a sudden drop in demand for houses owing to population stagnation or decline, lack of workers to harvest crops or to look after the sick.....not to mention exporters whose goods will have to controlled and maybe have to pay tariffs, actually moving production to Europe...
How long are you going to continue with the remain lines we were told? Most of them have already been shown to be wrong. Even the banks have admitted that the jobs are staying here.

And do you really think that saying that there could be a sudden drop in the housing market is a threat? Bring it on. Let younger people be able to buy their own place that is big enough. I'm not bothered if my house halves in value. It is going to my kids anyway.

You fail to mention the exporters sending their goods here. If we get hit with high tariffs so will the EU companies selling stuff here. Then it would be cheaper to make it here. We buy a lot more than we sell. So high tariffs would give opportunities to many here. Wages would go up.

I am not against people coming to live here. What I don't like is not having a say on skill levels. And it isn't good that anyone can turn up when we already have a massive lack of housing. Or how about a health service that can't cope?

Monners

How long are you going to continue with the remain lines we were told? Most of them have already been shown to be wrong. Even the banks have admitted that the jobs are staying here.

And do you really think that saying that there could be a sudden drop in the housing market is a threat? Bring it on. Let younger people be able to buy their own place that is big enough. I'm not bothered if my house halves in value. It is going to my kids anyway.

You fail to mention the exporters sending their goods here. If we get hit with high tariffs so will the EU companies selling stuff here. Then it would be cheaper to make it here. We buy a lot more than we sell. So high tariffs would give opportunities to many here. Wages would go up.

I am not against people coming to live here. What I don't like is not having a say on skill levels. And it isn't good that anyone can turn up when we already have a massive lack of housing. Or how about a health service that can't cope?

Apparently not - from the BBC news website today:
International banks plan pre-Brexit moves from London
International banks plan pre-Brexit moves from London - BBC News

chiefdave

Even the banks have admitted that the jobs are staying here.
Eh? Barclays are going to Dublin, as are Standard Charter, Lloyds to Berlin and HSBC to Paris.JP Morgan splitting between Frankfurt and Dublin, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup the same, Goldman Sachs to Frankfurt and Credit Suisse to Dublin.
And do you really think that saying that there could be a sudden drop in the housing market is a threat?
It would be a big problem for people who ended up with negative equity, especially if the drop in the housing market was a result of economic uncertainly and threat to jobs.

martcov

If there were high import tariffs, competition would be reduced, the pressure would indeed be off inefficient or expensive home industry and they would not concentrate on quality and the price would of goods would go up. That is why people want free trade... to keep prices down and quality up.

The health service will soon be having more problems coping with the increasing elderly population- even more so as staff, especially carers will be hard to find...

You may not be bothered if your house halves in value, but people who have a long mortgage or who have bought to let may see things differently.

Anyway negotiations have only just got underway and it is 1 against 27. the equivalent of a football team having had 4 red cards and trying to win with nearly 90 minutes to go.

I see this going like Trump's presidency.... " it's harder than I thought ".

A simple solution like "let's leave the EU " could turn out to be more than many people bargained for.

SIR ERNIE

Great to see that the PM has responded to Junker's (what an huge embarrassment he is) threats by stating that he will find her to be a 'bloody difficult woman' in the Brexit talks.

Good on you girl. The pampered, unelected, unaccountable elite of the EU are clearly in full panic mode as they fear the prospect of a UK government with an even stronger mandate to deliver on Brexit.

martcov

Great to see that the PM has responded to Junker's (what an huge embarrassment he is) threats by stating that he will find her to be a 'bloody difficult woman' in the Brexit talks.

Good on you girl. The pampered, unelected, unaccountable elite of the EU are clearly in full panic mode as they fear the prospect of a UK government with an even stronger mandate to deliver on Brexit.

No, I don't think so. Pampered, nominated by elected representatives and not accountable enough... ok, I'll take that.

The UK has a mandate to leave, but there are varying views as to how they would like to leave. The EU has a duty to its members to conduct an orderly leaving process which will be carried out in the interests of it's members. It certainly will not end with the UK getting preferential treatment over the members.

Being "awkward" won't alter anything. Maybe upset a few people and waste a bit of time, but the 27 will just take their time and let May make a few headlines. Truth is, she is in a weak position. Cannot make trade deals until we've left, and the 27 are insisting that certain things are dealt with before the main negotiations.

Up shit creek without a paddle.

Grendel

No, I don't think so. Pampered, nominated by elected representatives and not accountable enough... ok, I'll take that.

The UK has a mandate to leave, but there are varying views as to how they would like to leave. The EU has a duty to its members to conduct an orderly leaving process which will be carried out in the interests of it's members. It certainly will not end with the UK getting preferential treatment over the members.

Being "awkward" won't alter anything. Maybe upset a few people and waste a bit of time, but the 27 will just take their time and let May make a few headlines. Truth is, she is in a weak position. Cannot make trade deals until we've left, and the 27 are insisting that certain things are dealt with before the main negotiations.

Up shit creek without a paddle.

German car manufacturers make higher margins and profit in the UK than in any other European market and in reality there's only one country of the 27 that will decide how this deal is constructed. Certainly not a pipsqueak nonentity from a country that manufacturers nothing.

Sick Boy

You moan that house prices are too high. You moan that you can't save enough for a deposit. But you want to blame anything but the open border policy that the EU forced upon us.

That's because I'd not believe it is down to the EU. To be fair, even if the vote had been to remain I'd have been off still, as the quality of life is a lot better.

Sick Boy

I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. ;)

Sick Boy

So we would have open borders and everyone allowed to live here who wanted without the EU saying they could?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean? At some point it is going to be time to look at the country itself for its failings and not always looking for someone/something to blame.

Astute

If there were high import tariffs, competition would be reduced, the pressure would indeed be off inefficient or expensive home industry and they would not concentrate on quality and the price would of goods would go up. That is why people want free trade... to keep prices down and quality up.
People buy our items because they areof a high quality. The days of our poor quality cars are gone.

Who said we didn't want free trade anyway? It is the EU using it as a threat on what will happen.

martcov

German car manufacturers make higher margins and profit in the UK than in any other European market and in reality there's only one country of the 27 that will decide how this deal is constructed. Certainly not a pipsqueak nonentity from a country that manufacturers nothing.

Out of interest- how's that work with the UK auto parts suppliers that supply Europe? Will they have a say in May's tactics?

The most influential country is Germany, and hopefully they will be pulling the strings.

Users who are viewing this thread