Saudi Arabian League (2 Viewers)

AOM

Interesting summary so far of the more well known players who've joined the league
Who has gone where in Saudi Pro League

Do people actually see this league taking off? (Genuine question by the way)
I just can't see it, but it's still early days. Mainly players looking for a last substantial pay day it appears so far

SBT

Interesting summary so far of the more well known players who've joined the league
Who has gone where in Saudi Pro League

Do people actually see this league taking off? (Genuine question by the way)
I just can't see it, but it's still early days. Mainly players looking for a last substantial pay day it appears so far
Can it become as big as, say, MLS? Sure - the clubs have the financial backing and it’s an attractive lifestyle for Muslim players in particular.

I don’t see it becoming a top 5 league without some kind of almighty schism within UEFA that completely destroys Serie A and La Liga. Even then, that would mean some kind of European Super League scenario which the biggest Saudi clubs would surely want to hijack anyway - the Saudi league itself isn’t going to sustain interest on its own.

Reactions: AOM

AOM

Can it become as big as, say, MLS? Sure - the clubs have the financial backing and it’s an attractive lifestyle for Muslim players in particular.

I don’t see it becoming a top 5 league without some kind of almighty schism within UEFA that completely destroys Serie A and La Liga. Even then, that would mean some kind of European Super League scenario which the biggest Saudi clubs would surely want to hijack anyway - the Saudi league itself isn’t going to sustain interest on its own.

Yep, I've been seeing it as something similar to the MLS as well, likely attracting a similar quality of players.
I can't see it competing with any of the big European leagues in terms of quality, but I guess it's going to be reliant on global TV audiences tuning in to see some big names like Ronaldo, rather than specific clubs

NortonSkyBlue

I have been to games there with 60,000 plus with the best atmosphere I have witnessed and been to games with just hundreds of spectators in the same league. It will be tough but you are incorrect to say it’s a last pay day scenario at the moment, it’s not, it’s a big name scenario. The premier league is huge in Saudi Arabia and when players like Neves go there in their prime it is for money but the narrative is different.
Ronaldo is the bridge that all with now cross and the players they buy now like Kante, Benzema, and Firmino have brand recognition that’s comes with champions league and World Cup success which will elevate the league and I suspect after this year the wages offered will reduce season on season until it get to standard European level.
Dont underestimate their determination to compete with the best leagues and these players will be selling the league to their colleagues in Europe and Africa and agents will be trying to join the gravy train over the next few years.

SBT

I have been to games there with 60,000 plus with the best atmosphere I have witnessed and been to games with just hundreds of spectators in the same league. It will be tough but you are incorrect to say it’s a last pay day scenario at the moment, it’s not, it’s a big name scenario. The premier league is huge in Saudi Arabia and when players like Neves go there in their prime it is for money but the narrative is different.
Ronaldo is the bridge that all with now cross and the players they buy now like Kante, Benzema, and Firmino have brand recognition that’s comes with champions league and World Cup success which will elevate the league and I suspect after this year the wages offered will reduce season on season until it get to standard European level.
Dont underestimate their determination to compete with the best leagues and these players will be selling the league to their colleagues in Europe and Africa and agents will be trying to join the gravy train over the next few years.
I mean - that sounds almost exactly like MLS to me!

China, the US and now Saudi Arabia are able to offer big pay checks, improving league standards and good quality of life (cultural problems notwithstanding) but as long as European leagues remain the gold standard in terms of competitiveness, players will think twice about devoting part of their short careers to it.

fernandopartridge

I mean - that sounds almost exactly like MLS to me!

China, the US and now Saudi Arabia are able to offer big pay checks, improving league standards and good quality of life (cultural problems notwithstanding) but as long as European leagues remain the gold standard in terms of competitiveness, players will think twice about devoting part of their short careers to it.
It's not just competitiveness, the big name teams are the bigger attraction than the players. The idea that players alone are sufficient to attract that sort of audience that European football does is just preposterous.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SBT

It's not just competitiveness, the big name teams are the bigger attraction than the players. The idea that players alone are sufficient to attract that sort of audience that European football does is just preposterous.

I suppose there is an argument that players are becoming more important than teams to your average (read: global) modern-day fan, at least in terms of social media engagement etc. That’s what the Saudis were banking on with LIV Golf, but even then they couldn’t establish their tournament without completely swallowing the existing golf ecosystem. Will be much harder to do that with football.

Evo1883

Mbappe is a wanker anyway .. bloke will go , say its his dream to play there , earn the money to look after his family ..blah blah 🤣🤣 football is eating itself and it's great

TomRad85

Let's not pretend the Premier League has too much of a moral high ground. I can't understand why anyone would want to join Man City over historically huge football clubs like Bayern Munich or AC Milan (for example) and we all know the reason players do.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

I suppose there is an argument that players are becoming more important than teams to your average (read: global) modern-day fan, at least in terms of social media engagement etc. That’s what the Saudis were banking on with LIV Golf, but even then they couldn’t establish their tournament without completely swallowing the existing golf ecosystem. Will be much harder to do that with football.
I agree with you on this one, its going that way. So many people on social media identifying as a fan of a certain player rather than a certain team. They are all embarrassing little wank stains of course and just one more thing I hate about modern football, but you can't deny its happening.

Evo1883

Let's not pretend the Premier League has too much of a moral high ground. I can't understand why anyone would want to join Man City over historically huge football clubs like Bayern Munich or AC Milan (for example) and we all know the reason players do.

All I know is football is eating itself .. the competition is dead .. all the European historical giants are wank now .. and most leagues suck dick .. I'd rather watch the championship

Evo1883

Atleast I can say safely that I got to watch the golden era of football In my humble opinion ..a game full of greats . What a time

TomRad85

All I know is football is eating itself .. the competition is dead .. all the European historical giants are wank now .. and most leagues suck dick .. I'd rather watch the championship
I agree and yet here I am still desperately hoping we get to the Premier League, all rather ironic. I guess what I want is for my team to be successful and getting to the Prem is simply a by product of a successful season.

SBT

I agree with you on this one, its going that way. So many people on social media identifying as a fan of a certain player rather than a certain team. They are all embarrassing little wank stains of course and just one more thing I hate about modern football, but you can't deny its happening.

It’s also why the Saudis are prepared to pay more for one season of Mbappé than they were to buy the whole of Newcastle United.

fernandopartridge

I agree and yet here I am still desperately hoping we get to the Premier League, all rather ironic. I guess what I want is for my team to be successful and getting to the Prem is simply a by product of a successful season.

A repeat of last season and that race to the play offs would be fantastic

ccfc922

I'm not bothered about world wide fans, if they support individual players good for them the utter virgins. Football is primarily a localised, domestic affair.

The state of some of the Sporting twitter accounts, plus what Luton fans are enduring online by player "stans" accounts makes me want to vomit.

Users who are viewing this thread