Rebrand to yellow (1 Viewer)

Changeyourface

Since 1883, the club has played a couple of years in red & green, about 20 years in a darker blue and white and nearly all the rest in Sky Blue. I'm sure you'd argue that we'd still be the same club if Bill Gates became the new owner and re-branded us as "Coventry Microsoft Rangers". You could even argue that since we were originally called Singers FC there would be no harm in changing names. A football club is not a brand or an international business, it is a club for the community and the people it represents.

SkyblueBazza

All I am saying is that the skyblue & yellow stripes with skyblue shorts & socks would not be an issue for me...I do not consider it a loss of identity at all, in fact consider it strengths our identity as we would probably not need an "away" kit. If we are changing the kit why not that?
Maybe I just have a less strong traditionalist approach?

RichieGunns

I don't think the Sky blue/Yellow striped affair would be changing our identity either.

Look at all the stripped kits we've had over the years.

Not once has someone said "That's not part of our identity!"

I think Yellow and Sky Blue is a perfect example of a good shirt to play in!

ajsccfc

We'd look like Parma after too many washes. Why would we need a rebrand or anything in the first place?

RichieGunns

We'd look like Parma after too many washes. Why would we need a rebrand or anything in the first place?

Robins has said there are certain parts of our "brand" that he feels are old and out of date and need changing (our song is one of those issues).

This conversation has arisen because someone suggested we change to yellow because the Yellow away kit has been received well and the team really seem to love playing in it!

And as someone else mentioned, Jimmy Hill calling us the sky blues started a revolution for our club.

The simply question is, would re-branding the club have a similar effect?

You've got to admit ajccfc that we have as a club stagnated over the past few years!

A change might do us some good!

And besides, I'm not advocating changing our name. I'm advocating having a different approach to our home kit, thats all!

ajsccfc

I've got nothing against various colours (as one of the few/one people who have that pink keeper kit), but I like being the sky blues. If they want to play around with different colour trim or mess about with stripes/hoops/halves I don't mind, but I don't want us to ever change the core colour.

Block19

In medieval times Coventry was famous across the country for producing cloth woven from Sheeps wool and then dyed and the most popular and famous colour it produced was sky blue hence Coventry has always been known as the sky blue city

Paxman II

In medieval times Coventry was famous across the country for producing cloth woven from Sheeps wool and then dyed and the most popular and famous colour it produced was sky blue hence Coventry has always been known as the sky blue city

I think the connection there is a figment of your imagination.

coundonskyblue

<p>
I think the connection there is a figment of your imagination.

http://www.sponstreetcoventry.co.uk/history.asp

As long ago as the 12th century Spon Street played an important role in the prosperity of Coventry. It was here weavers made high quality woollen cloth and dyers and tanners worked next to the river. The Sherbourne ran blue from the dye – and the highly prized cloth gave rise to the expression “True as Coventry Blue”.

Sawyer

Why was it a bad idea for Cardiff, there kit looks a lot better and there like 10 points clear!

RichieGunns

I've got nothing against various colours (as one of the few/one people who have that pink keeper kit), but I like being the sky blues. If they want to play around with different colour trim or mess about with stripes/hoops/halves I don't mind, but I don't want us to ever change the core colour.

Neither do I. As Block19 said, we have a long association with the colour Sky Blue!

Why would we want to get rid of it. But what I think the club need to do is maybe introduce another colour into the home shirt to give us an even more striking edge!

Yellow is a colour that is striking and it compliments the Sky Blue core colour.

Merging the away colour with the home colour would bring a very striking home kit which would make us stand out.

I mean even though Man City are called the Light Blues, how many people believe we stole the colour off them and that Man City should be called the Sky Blues!

Making a statement of intent is what Robins seems very good at. The Yellow away kit wasn't being used that much but now Robins makes them ware it everytime we play away!

I think he knows what he's doing and I'm behind him 100%

Changeyourface

Why was it a bad idea for Cardiff, there kit looks a lot better and there like 10 points clear!

So you're suggesting that Cardiff players became better players by wearing a red home shirt? All that "re-branding" the club would do is alienate fans and cheapen the club. Remember when McGinnity came up with idea of re-branding our badge? Didn't go down to well if i remember rightly.

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

So you're suggesting that Cardiff players became better players by wearing a red home shirt? All that "re-branding" the club would do is alienate fans and cheapen the club. Remember when McGinnity came up with idea of re-branding our badge? Didn't go down to well if i remember rightly.

Kits are changed every season or two at most though - that in itself peaves me. Changing the kit but retaining the predominant colouring is NOT a rebranding.

Otis

He didn't rebrand the badge, he cheapened it.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with a change. As has been said, we only became the Sky Blues in the 1960's. Before that we were the Bantams.

Unfortunately our thunder has now been stolen to a degree and Manchester City is the first name people think of when anyone mentions the Sky Blues. They have always been sky blue, but now with them becoming so massive they are the first team anyone thinks of when people talk of the Sky Blues.

ajsccfc

I remember in ISS Pro 98 you could choose to play as Romania with all bleached blonde haircuts. Magical times.

FootballAttic

I remember the uproar when they tried to change the badge. I totally agreed as our badge is excellent. Funny thing is though, when they were trying to change it, we'd only had that particular badge for about 20 years, so was hardly historical at the time...funny how people seem to be getting more worried about preserving tradition as time goes on, though I think that may be a symptom of the way football is run these days with fans feeling more and more at the mercy of owners and their whims...

Otis

Personally I really like the sky blue and dark blue stripes. Think that gives us a little bit of uniqueness and obviously still retains the sky blue.

coventry_city_1996-1997.gif

Something along the lines of this. Still has loads of sky blue in it, but also retains the dark blue which has been in most of our kits prior to the Jimmy Hill revolution since 1887.

Something along the lines of this one too. Why not incorporate the dark blue that has been around with us for nigh on 130 years!

coventry_city_1907-1908.gif

SkyblueBazza

Personally I really like the sky blue and dark blue stripes. Think that gives us a little bit of uniqueness and obviously still retains the sky blue.

View attachment 1711

Something along the lines of this. Still has loads of sky blue in it, but also retains the dark blue which has been in most of our kits prior to the Jimmy Hill revolution since 1887.

Something along the lines of this one too. Why not incorporate the dark blue that has been around with us for nigh on 130 years!

View attachment 1712

Right...now on the top one turn the trim on the socks yellow, shorts to skyblue, & the dark blue to our current away yellow on the shirt. I think that'd be unique & striking...& I like it. I'm also happy to stick with an all skyblue strip too though.

FootballAttic

View attachment 1711

View attachment 1712

I loved the LSC shirts and they really gave us a much needed refresh without abandoning all that had gone before.

As for the sky blue and yellow stripes, I'm really not convinced...can't help thinking it'd look pretty awful...just mho

RichieGunns

View attachment 1711

View attachment 1712

Maybe we could go for a retro feeling and use that old style of kit for next years home kit?

I really like it when they go old school! I dunno it just gives us something else that we have different over other teams!

WillieStanley

Can we just put a lid on the Yellow idea. Horrible colour to be mixed with Sky Blue.

Sky Blue and Dark Blue all the way.

RichieGunns

Can we just put a lid on the Yellow idea. Horrible colour to be mixed with Sky Blue.

Sky Blue and Dark Blue all the way.

Oh well someone better tell the Sun in the sky to stop being yellow in the summer as it apparantly looks horrible when appearing in a lovely clear Sky Blue day!!

That's part of the point - merge the home & away strip so we would rarely need an away kit to swap into. Not noticed anyone suggesting we play in a yellow kit.

I'm not a fan of th eyellow kit. It too light. The home kit basically looks white from where i sit and so does the yellow kit, they're too simular. I think it woul dbe best to have a sky blue home kit and a dark coloured away kit, but keep the sky blue. If its good enough for Jimmy Hill, its damn sure good enough for us

Users who are viewing this thread