Match Thread Preston North End FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 4th Nov (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueSoul

Keep the box, we definitely looked better with it, and just try and get the ball forward quicker. O'Hare is key to that but I'm assuming he'll come off the bench again after playing today. Not sure what the answer is at the back but I'm not convinced by Thomas. Despite the misses, I saw enough from Wright to give him another go up front.

Wilson
Lats Fadz Kitching
MvE Eccles Sheaf Dasilva
Saka Allen
Wright

Collins, Thomas, Binks, Bidwell, Ayari, O'Hare, Simms, Godden, Obikwu

Great_Expectations

My worry (well one of many tbf) is Sheaf.

He was awful last night, but in his defence he’s being asked to be the same DM he was last year and be the playmaker - it was as if everything had to go through him last night. All while clearly nowhere near match fit.

And with limited options once he had the ball as our play was so slow everyone was marked when it got to him.

Eccles alongside him doesn’t help either.

If Wright starts tomorrow I think we look for that ball over the top as much as possible. It isn’t the prettiest way to play, but possession based with no killer final ball isn’t either.

Sky Blue Harry H

First time to PNE for me since a pre-season friendly in 1775 (or thereabouts) We lost 2-0 iirc (some smart arse will tell me which year it actually was - one abiding memory was seeing 'Cov city will die' on a factory window on the journey in (for a pre-season friendly!)

Balli001

He was awful last night, but in his defence he’s being asked to be the same DM he was last year and be the playmaker - it was as if everything had to go through him last night. All while clearly nowhere near match fit.

And with limited options once he had the ball as our play was so slow everyone was marked when it got to him.

If Wright starts tomorrow I think we look for that ball over the top as much as possible. It isn’t the prettiest way to play, but possession based with no killer final ball isn’t either.
People knocked Kelly and yet here we are knowing he would probably improve Sheaf and the team in general.

Johhny Blue

First time to PNE for me since a pre-season friendly in 1775 (or thereabouts) We lost 2-0 iirc (some smart arse will tell me which year it actually was - one abiding memory was seeing 'Cov city will die' on a factory window on the journey in (for a pre-season friendly!)
Not sure I can tell you what year it was. But I know what year it wasn’t

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Aah this is the game I look for in the fixture list and write off, and pretend it’s not happening.

we’ve had a 45 game season every time we’re in the same league as them in my eyes

Sky Blue Harry H

I’d bring Lati in for Eccles and Bidwell for DaSilva, they’ll add a bit more grit to the side

Wouldn't disagree with that, although I would have thought MR might have given Bidwell a run out in the U21a today to get him match sharp. if he intends to play him on Saturday.

Sky Blue Harry H

Weather looks wet up there, so we need to get the ball in the box as often as possible, to increase the chances of keeper mishandling (I'm sure PNE will be thinking similar). get bodies in the box (and make it chaotic).

BlueSkiesForever

Keep the box, we definitely looked better with it.

Wilson
Lats Fadz Kitching
MvE Eccles Sheaf Dasilva
Saka Allen
Wright

Collins, Thomas, Binks, Bidwell, Ayari, O'Hare, Simms, Godden, Obikwu

I’d just swap Eccles for Lati and bring Binks in defence and I think that’d be about as good as it gets atm for us. I definitely agree we looked better with the box, as soon as we went back to the two up top formation it turned into a mess.

Cov kid 55

Yep, keep the box, and start Wright again. I’d also have a back 3 of Lats Kitching Binks, and give that a run. I’d also give Bidwell a go at left wingback. We never win at Preston and rarely draw, so 2-1 to City.

SlowerThanPlatt

The feeling is not much better in Lancashire

Offhegoes

People knocked Kelly and yet here we are knowing he would probably improve Sheaf and the team in general.
Yep, we have missed Kelly since he got injured to be honest. Would allow Sheaf to be more attack minded. Eccles and Sheaf seem too similar for me.

BlueSkiesForever

Yep, we have missed Kelly since he got injured to be honest. Would allow Sheaf to be more attack minded. Eccles and Sheaf seem too similar for me.

Yeah Eccles definitely needs to have a rest now, bring Lati into defensive midfield alongside Sheaf and allow Sheaf to get forward more.

Key thing is we need to move the ball quicker, it’s sooooo slow, gives the opposition way too much time to get a decent shape and defend any attack we throw at them. I’ve said it every week but we need to stop moving the ball in a horseshoe shape around the back and instead start looking for through balls and 1-2‘s. We need to increase the tempo and the trickiness of our play.

Warwickhunt

unless we can learn to play through the lines effectively we are just pissing in the wind! most of the teams i have seen at the CBS just park the friggin bus. We need to somehow get the opposition to come out to us which means we have to get our midfield to press hard on them in the middle third win the ball and then pass it through the third section or might be nice a delicate chip over the backs and made the buggers turn to defend. The WBA cenrtal defenders were quite old and never had it so easy if you ask me!

SkyBlueGuy

Yeah Eccles definitely needs to have a rest now, bring Lati into defensive midfield alongside Sheaf and allow Sheaf to get forward more.

Key thing is we need to move the ball quicker, it’s sooooo slow, gives the opposition way too much time to get a decent shape and defend any attack we throw at them. I’ve said it every week but we need to stop moving the ball in a horseshoe shape around the back and instead start looking for through balls and 1-2‘s. We need to increase the tempo and the trickiness of our play.
One of the biggest issue I've noticed about the passing recently (and particularly in the WBA game) is that it's just not precise enough a lot of the time. So often when moving the ball forward and out to the wingbacks it's played just slightly behind them or short. Meaning the player has to come back to collect and loses all momentum forward. It's so frustrating because it gives the opportunity for the opposition to get back into position. This kills the option for the quick break.

We really need to get better at this as we don't seem to have the ability on the ball to break down teams when they are sitting deep.

shmmeee

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

shmmeee

One of the biggest issue I've noticed about the passing recently (and particularly in the WBA game) is that it's just not precise enough a lot of the time. So often when moving the ball forward and out to the wingbacks it's played just slightly behind them or short. Meaning the player has to come back to collect and loses all momentum forward. It's so frustrating because it gives the opportunity for the opposition to get back into position. This kills the option for the quick break.

We really need to get better at this as we don't seem to have the ability on the ball to break down teams when they are sitting deep.

This really winds me up. So few players can play a ball in front of their man. Why is it so hard?

napolimp

I think you make a fair point. What if Allen dropped back alongside Sheaf once O'hare is fit enough to start though? You could play box of Sheaf and Allen, behind Sakamoto and O'hare. Plenty of creativity in there, Allen can link up the play, and Sheaf can concentrate on defensive duties. Only issue really is having to rely on the lone forward for goals.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Agreed. I think that's symptomatic of lack of confidence : pass it behind and keep possession is better than passing it forward and risk losing it .

pusbccfc

3000 will be good but it's a real shame it's not sold out. First big allocation since Blackburn 2 seasons ago and we haven't sold it.

Users who are viewing this thread