NEWS: Coventry City and EFL reach 'Agreed Decision' regarding postponements sanction (1 Viewer)

hill83

Coventry City and the EFL have reached an ‘Agreed Decision’ regarding disciplinary sanctions following the postponement of games earlier this season – namely the home fixtures against Rotherham United, Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town.

The games were postponed due to the unsafe and unplayable condition of the pitch at the Coventry Building Society Arena.

Due to this, Coventry City were charged with failing to comply with EFL Regulations 32, 33.1 and Appendix 1, Part 3, Regulations 2.1 and 27.4. These regulations can be viewed on the EFL website.

Regulation 86 allows the EFL and a Club to enter an 'Agreed Decision' where it is appropriate in the circumstances to conclude a matter effectively and equitably without referring the matter to a Disciplinary Commission.

Accordingly, the EFL Board invited Coventry City to consider the following proposed sanction in respect of the Charges:

1. Subject to paragraph 4, a five (5) point deduction to be suspended for the remainder of the 2022/2023 season and the 2023/2024 season.
  2. The Club shall pay the EFL’s costs of this investigation in the sum of £6,000.
  3. The Club shall also pay such compensation due to Huddersfield Town FC, Wigan Athletic FC and Rotherham United FC in accordance with Regulation 32.4.
  4. The suspended points deduction shall be applied immediately upon any charge being proven, or admitted, relating to any further missed fixture of the Club in the 2022/2023 season and/or 2023/2024 season.
  5. This agreed decision shall be published on EFL.com
Coventry City have accepted the Proposed Sanction.

Dave Boddy, Coventry City Chief Executive, said:

“Our supporters will know that we were left with a pitch at the Arena that was unsafe, dangerous and unplayable for our first games of the season, following the broken promises of a new pitch by Wasps, and the extensive usage at the Commonwealth Games Rugby 7s.

“The debacle they caused - and the cashflow problems, reputational damage and inconvenience they created for the Football Club, as well as impacting upon our sporting performance and our supporters - should have been an indication to us all of the financial plight they were facing.

“Despite the nature of our tenancy at the Arena, and the lack of any control of pitch maintenance at the Arena, it remains our responsibility as an EFL club to adhere to the regulations of the competition.

“We have accepted the decision of the EFL and the sanctions imposed on us, to minimise the sanctions that would imposed upon us, with the point deduction being suspended.

“We hope that this draws a line under this and that this is a situation that should never be repeated at the Arena.”

Londonccfcfan

Suspended 5 points is harsh imo.

No fault ar all of our own, no chance of us clawing back the compensation.

5 points is massive. Need to make sure the pitch is in tip top condition for a year and a half.

Also if we go up this season. Then EFL has jurisdiction in Premier so the suspended 5 point deduction next year means zilch.

Happy_Martian

So unless FG mess the state of the Arena and pitch up to a point we can't play there, we're only hit financially and out of pocket to Huddersfield, Wigan and WBA and nothing else. Considering the underlying reasons for the postponements, think this is the best the EFL could have offered.

But watch for a pitchfork and torch-wielding mass of Sunderland Forumites baying for EFL and Sky Blue blood when they get to hear the news. :rolleyes: They were screaming for a points deduction after the initial postponement.

Happy_Martian

Hope the compensation isn't enough to put a dent in our already no doubt minuscule budget for January

Maybe the EFL have already made a decision on King being our new "King" so think a financial penalty won't make too much difference to us ? 🤞

Paxman II

...and to think we don't yet have a pitch to play on yet after May!
Thank you EFL for giving Ashley negotiating powers who can wave that stick at us now on a new rent agreement.

Disgrace from the EFL.

Mcbean

That’s disgraceful clearly not at fault - £6k for investigation where did they stay Champneys ? Compensation for three clubs accepted hopefully not too much - under the cosh for two seasons - points deduction - games are to be played !

Grendel

...and to think we don't yet have a pitch to play on yet after May!
Thank you EFL for giving Ashley negotiating powers who can wave that stick at us now on a new rent agreement.

Disgrace from the EFL.

I’m The EFL must be sick of our nonsense - this sends hopefully a message for us to sort out agreement quickly and not mess around again

Skyblueweeman

I’m The EFL must be sick of our nonsense - this sends hopefully a message for us to sort out agreement quickly and not mess around again

I agree but I think a suspended points deduction would also suggest that they knew it wasn't totally our fault and outside of our control.

I know the argument is 'yeah but CCFC should've known more about it or been on top of it more' etc etc. Ultimately those w*nker parasites reneged on an agreement to replace the pitch.

Grendel

Wasps are complete and utter w*nkers.

Every day there's something that makes me hate them more. I'm glad Boddy mentioned them in his statement to highlight where the blame lies.

The club obviously said 'look, it wasn't our fault so how about we agree a suspended points deduction as opposed to a straight points deduction' and the EFL have agreed.

its the clubs responsibility to ensure games are played. I think we got away with it - clubs are sick and tired of us and it’s entirely the football clubs responsibility to ensure games are played

If we start messing around again and start whining the new deal offered by Ashley isn’t commercially viable tough - that’s a situation created by the owners and no one else - remember we agreed it seems a licence and not a protected lease which is utter nonsense given wasps were clearly distressed. We did it as it’s cheaper and to keep this pathetic charade we are building a new stadium

Evo1883

The club won't call off another game , but also shows the need to reach an agreement with our landlords for longer than this season

Grendel

I agree but I think a suspended points deduction would also suggest that they knew it wasn't totally our fault and outside of our control.

I know the argument is 'yeah but CCFC should've known more about it or been on top of it more' etc etc. Ultimately those w*nker parasites reneged on an agreement to replace the pitch.

Boddy admitted there was no agreement to replace the pitch

shepardo01

Wasps are complete and utter w*nkers.

Every day there's something that makes me hate them more. I'm glad Boddy mentioned them in his statement to highlight where the blame lies.

The club obviously said 'look, it wasn't our fault so how about we agree a suspended points deduction as opposed to a straight points deduction' and the EFL have agreed.
Yep! Same as!
Glad Boddy didn't hold back in what he said.
...but again, can't believe that Wasps are even allowed back in the Championship with a pretty much brand new training ground after everything that they have done!😡

Grendel

All Boddy's fault.

We still ended up being owed over half a mill by Wasps though, didn't we?

Which I assume is the F and B revenue from last year so we’d know they were financially distressed

if we’d agreed a full proper lease for 10 years none of this would be an issue

Evo1883

Which I assume is the F and B revenue from last year so we’d know they were financially distressed

if we’d agreed a full proper lease for 10 years none of this would be an issue
I get you hate boddy , but wasps have to take some blame end of story .. borderline silly now really

You rent a house and something is broken , the landlord has to fix it , end of ....no different

Grendel

I get you hate boddy , but wasps have to take some blame end of story .. borderline silly now really

We made a commercial decision to opt for a licence not a lease. What other club is in a position where they have no influence on anything?

There’s no hate as I’ve said he’s just like Vaughan a patsy who does what people tell him to do - it’s slightly worrying though the last 10 year deal Boddy agreed fell apart for the club in question

Users who are viewing this thread