New York (1 Viewer)

ccfc922

10 days is about right to do most things, just be prepared for long days and sensible shoes!

If you get chance, Coney Island is decent for a few hours.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Have a work trip in New Jersey next week so heading there Friday and will use the weekends either side to try and see as much as I can in NYC.

Saturday is going to be an all day pub crawl (sorry dry January), with the CCFC match at 07:30. Then meeting some friends for a the 'football playoffs'. Will try and do the Staten Island Ferry and maybe one of the skyscrapers somewhere inbetween. Initially was going to head to Boston on the second weekend but don't have too much time and I can't really be arsed having done a large tour of the country a few months ago.

Some great suggestions on here, but feel free to through anything appropriate for a flying January visit!

Bertola

Have a work trip in New Jersey next week so heading there Friday and will use the weekends either side to try and see as much as I can in NYC.

Saturday is going to be an all day pub crawl (sorry dry January), with the CCFC match at 07:30. Then meeting some friends for a the 'football playoffs'. Will try and do the Staten Island Ferry and maybe one of the skyscrapers somewhere inbetween. Initially was going to head to Boston on the second weekend but don't have too much time and I can't really be arsed having done a large tour of the country a few months ago.

Some great suggestions on here, but feel free to through anything appropriate for a flying January visit!
If you need somewhere in NYC to watch the footy, I'd recommend the Football Factoy at Legends. I went to watch Arsenal Chelsea years ago there, was like a speak easy, sneaking in and going downstairs whilst it was still dark outside.

Loads of screens, Decent atmosphere and an "interesting" breakfast menu including Chicken Curry and Rice

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If you need somewhere in NYC to watch the footy, I'd recommend the Football Factoy at Legends. I went to watch Arsenal Chelsea years ago there, was like a speak easy, sneaking in and going downstairs whilst it was still dark outside.

Loads of screens, Decent atmosphere and an "interesting" breakfast menu including Chicken Curry and Rice

Fantastic shout, thank you. It opens at 7am and on their website the game is listed under the fixtures as well!

skybluetony176

Really? I've been to all the main sites but still feel like there is plenty to see and do there.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
My Mrs would manage it. She’s the type to poke her head through the door go seen it and leave. We went to Bangkok years ago and got up early to go to Wat Phra Kaew. We were there 5 minutes and she wanted to go, whereas I could have spent all day there. She was the same at the Egyptian museum in Cairo. She only wanted to go because it was the backdrop to the film The Mummy, she didn’t even want to go in.

Tommo1993

Really? I've been to all the main sites but still feel like there is plenty to see and do there.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Think it depends on how slowly someone wanted to drag it all out. I suppose if you branched out of Manhattan it’s possible, but even then, there’s plenty of time to twiddle thumbs.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
We did Summit One last September and the 911 museum and tour and the top of the new skyscraper, they were all good, also just did a high line walking tour which was good

Sick Boy

Money Burn GIF by nog

Sky_Blue_Daz

We went on a cruise last summer and were in new york for a day and a half seen the Empire State , Times Square, Central Park, the wtc monument and museum, would recommend the states island ferry and there’s a decent outlet village there .
Wife is 50 next year and my daughters 21 so think we will go for a twin centre with new york being an option along with Orlando

Adge

Dying to know if he filled 10 days. 5 is a challenge.
Could have done more! We were out of the hotel 8 am every day and not back till 10-11 at night.
A City pass is the key if you are there for a while as it gets you into everything and some more (depending on the one you buy). There were attractions/places on there that we would have passed by or not bothered with if we didn’t see them on the pass.

chiefdave

If you're there on Friday 26th it's New York Rangers v Las Vegas Golden Knights at MSG which should be a cracking game. If you keep an eye on the resale sites the prices normally drop a fair bit in the 48 hours leading up to the game

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If you're there on Friday 26th it's New York Rangers v Las Vegas Golden Knights at MSG which should be a cracking game. If you keep an eye on the resale sites the prices normally drop a fair bit in the 48 hours leading up to the game

I've been looking to go to a game and wasn't really fussy, but this coming weekend is only the Rangers that have a game. It's 200 quid or so at the moment which just doesn't feel worth it at all. The New Jersey Devils and NY Islanders have games later in the week which I might be able to make, and it is much much cheaper to go and watch them. Good advice though. If the tickets for Rangers come down the day before I might go.

robbiekeane

I sent this to a mate whose younger brother was going to a weekend so some of it might be less relevant so tweaked it a bit. Also depending where you’re staying in Jersey I’d try get the PATH in rather than the bus/driving over the bridge on the weekend. Path from Hoboken to west village or from Jersey city to World Trade. Annoyingly not set up for contactless yet so will still need to pay a dollar for a swipe card

Enjoy. In Irish bars every 4th pint or so they give you one for free without asking

——-
What to do in nyc

I imagine you probably have a list of touristy stuff you want to do already so I won’t list all of that, but what I will say is I’d try and jam as much of it into the first couple of days as possible because like all touristy stuff it can sometimes be a bit underwhelming but you absolutely have to do it - you just don’t want to plan your whole trip around it!

Need to mention, probably already on your list but definitely do go and see the World Trade Center memorial. Obviously not a cheerful trip but I found it very very moving

A few other suggestions:
• Central Park will obviously be on list. It’s lovely and I really recommend just getting a nice big hot cup of coffee and going for a wander around. If you enter by colombus circle and walk north just wander up, recommend checking out Bow bridge, strawberry fields, friends fountain etc all around thst area. You are actually staying up near the top so he could do the reverse! You should absolutely try and get a reservation at “Tavern on the green” in Central Park and have a cheeky couple of drinks. Not cheap but a great spot in the park.

• Midtown is probably worth a visit (area with Times Square etc).. cause it’s busy and good transport links, but really just do it once and then leave as you’ll be swamped with bus loads of tourists probably from Wisconsin taking selfies and trying to find the waxwork museum….

• I’d recommend spending a good amount of time in the West Village (you NEED to get a Joes pizza slice…I think it might be cash only can’t remember but it’s an institution…as is bleeker street pizza and Johns pizza). Tonne of bars around there - Kettle of fish is a typical American “dive” bar. Galway Hooker like an American sports bar. Four Faced Liar is a decent Irish bar but a bit grungey...it was my regular stomping ground and I still go meet friends there when I’m back. Katana Kitten is a nice little cocktail bar.

• Can't go to NYC without checking out Broadway. Not sure if into shows/theatre, but highly recommend for the sheer spectacle. To land some cheaper ltickets on the day, go to a place called TKTS, a Booth in Times Square - it's a bit of a lucky dip based on what's available, but you can get some amazing deals on great shows. Think it opens from 2pm…get there at 1:30 to get at the front of the line it’s worth it

• Harlem! L lots of culture and history (Harlem Renaissance… heaps of music and history, jazz etc) so tonnes to do. Swing by the Apollo Theater and stroll down 125th Street. Harlem is famous for jazz, so make sure he grabs a show at spots like the Cotton Club or Minton's Playhouse. Also check out harlems little italy

• don’t bother doing more than one of the tall buildings…either do empire state or one world trade or rockefeller. just need to do one they’re all much of a muchness.

• walk the highline and go to Chelsea market

• Without a doubt, the absolutely best bagels in NYC are at Absolute Bagels. This is uptown near where you’re staying

• Grays papaya or Papaya dog are absolute institutions and don’t bother getting a New York hot dog from anywhere else. Please get one or three of these

• other areas to explore/walk around
- TriBeCa, Manhattan.
- Williamsberg in Brooklyn. Quite edgy, get to Radegast Biergarten to start you off
- Greenpoint in Brooklyn. Also quite edgy.
- Lower East side in Manhattan.
- DUMBO, Brooklyn (this is where you start or end your walk across Brooklyn bridge…don’t spend a tonne of time here but grab a drink at the beginning or end of your bridge walk at Randolphs and play shuffle board)

Also last thing when you walked over Brooklyn bridge, go to this spot to take a great pic under the Manhattan bridge (right next to each other)

1704954541960.jpeg

1704954563535.jpeg

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

I went to NY in January way back in the year 2000...... It was -12C and snowed like fuck.

"The wind blows right through you, its not place for the old"

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I sent this to a mate whose younger brother was going to a weekend so some of it might be less relevant so tweaked it a bit. Also depending where you’re staying in Jersey I’d try get the PATH in rather than the bus/driving over the bridge on the weekend. Path from Hoboken to west village or from Jersey city to World Trade. Annoyingly not set up for contactless yet so will still need to pay a dollar for a swipe card

Enjoy. In Irish bars every 4th pint or so they give you one for free without asking

——-
What to do in nyc

I imagine you probably have a list of touristy stuff you want to do already so I won’t list all of that, but what I will say is I’d try and jam as much of it into the first couple of days as possible because like all touristy stuff it can sometimes be a bit underwhelming but you absolutely have to do it - you just don’t want to plan your whole trip around it!

Need to mention, probably already on your list but definitely do go and see the World Trade Center memorial. Obviously not a cheerful trip but I found it very very moving

A few other suggestions:
• Central Park will obviously be on list. It’s lovely and I really recommend just getting a nice big hot cup of coffee and going for a wander around. If you enter by colombus circle and walk north just wander up, recommend checking out Bow bridge, strawberry fields, friends fountain etc all around thst area. You are actually staying up near the top so he could do the reverse! You should absolutely try and get a reservation at “Tavern on the green” in Central Park and have a cheeky couple of drinks. Not cheap but a great spot in the park.

• Midtown is probably worth a visit (area with Times Square etc).. cause it’s busy and good transport links, but really just do it once and then leave as you’ll be swamped with bus loads of tourists probably from Wisconsin taking selfies and trying to find the waxwork museum….

• I’d recommend spending a good amount of time in the West Village (you NEED to get a Joes pizza slice…I think it might be cash only can’t remember but it’s an institution…as is bleeker street pizza and Johns pizza). Tonne of bars around there - Kettle of fish is a typical American “dive” bar. Galway Hooker like an American sports bar. Four Faced Liar is a decent Irish bar but a bit grungey...it was my regular stomping ground and I still go meet friends there when I’m back. Katana Kitten is a nice little cocktail bar.

• Can't go to NYC without checking out Broadway. Not sure if into shows/theatre, but highly recommend for the sheer spectacle. To land some cheaper ltickets on the day, go to a place called TKTS, a Booth in Times Square - it's a bit of a lucky dip based on what's available, but you can get some amazing deals on great shows. Think it opens from 2pm…get there at 1:30 to get at the front of the line it’s worth it

• Harlem! L lots of culture and history (Harlem Renaissance… heaps of music and history, jazz etc) so tonnes to do. Swing by the Apollo Theater and stroll down 125th Street. Harlem is famous for jazz, so make sure he grabs a show at spots like the Cotton Club or Minton's Playhouse. Also check out harlems little italy

• don’t bother doing more than one of the tall buildings…either do empire state or one world trade or rockefeller. just need to do one they’re all much of a muchness.

• Without a doubt, the absolutely best bagels in NYC are at Absolute Bagels. This is uptown near where you’re staying

• Grays papaya or Papaya dog are absolute institutions and don’t bother getting a New York hot dog from anywhere else. Please get one or three of these

- TriBeCa, Manhattan.
- Williamsberg in Brooklyn. Quite edgy, get to Radegast Biergarten to start you off
- DUMBO, Brooklyn (this is where you start or end your walk across Brooklyn bridge…don’t spend a tonne of time here but grab a drink at the beginning or end of your bridge walk at Randolphs and play shuffle board)

Also last thing when you walked over Brooklyn bridge, go to this spot to take a great pic under the Manhattan bridge (right next to each other)

View attachment 33251

View attachment 33252

Thanks for the detailed info. There's a lot on there to see and do, and it's definitely helpful.

I was in NYC in October and did a couple of things, but that was also a bit of a flying visit and going day drinking with the missus ended up taking up the rest of the time.

Saturday will be my big day, so I'm going to start by watching the match and then doing as much touristy stuff as physically possible whilst doing a bar crawl at the same time. Will report back!

ovduk78

I went to NY in January way back in the year 2000...... It was -12C and snowed like fuck.

"The wind blows right through you, its not place for the old"
I was there in january 1996 and it was -30C in upstate NY and there was about 3 foot of snow
In NYC. In january 2006 when I was there, there was about a foot of snow and then 3 days later it was 15C and we were walking around in t-shirts.

Adge

——-
What to do in nyc

A few other suggestions:

- TriBeCa, Manhattan.

View attachment 33251

View attachment 33252
Yep-just one of the sky scrapers is all you need to do if you are on a budget-we had them all on the pass so did them all. Also, don’t bother with the food etc around Times Square-a kind local told us to venture 10 minutes outside to Hells Kitchen-better independent local restaurants for half the price.
Get yourself to little Italy aswell-great family restaurants but tell Paulie that his pasta was the best you ever tasted. Guys sitting on the next table were Mafia and talking about knee capping someone! 😲

NJSkyBlue

Yep-just one of the sky scrapers is all you need to do if you are on a budget-we had them all on the pass so did them all. Also, don’t bother with the food etc around Times Square-a kind local told us to venture 10 minutes outside to Hells Kitchen-better independent local restaurants for half the price.
Get yourself to little Italy aswell-great family restaurants but tell Paulie that his pasta was the best you ever tasted. Guys sitting on the next table were Mafia and talking about knee capping someone! 😲
I’d recommend The Egde at Hudson Yards for your skyscraper experience … outdoor viewing deck, glass floor, 100 floors up. Pretty mild here right now for mid-January; low 40s today but getting colder with snow back end of next week. Where abouts in Jersey is your work visit - I live in Montclair but work in the city at the WTC. Never seen a City shirt on a tourist in +20yrs of living here!

CCfC2023

Never seen a City shirt on a tourist in +20yrs of living here!

We went to Asbury Park last November and spent 2 days in New York we walked miles and we saw a young lad on his his own in the current city shirt I shouted over to him Play up Sky Blues he just walked passed without any acknowledgement . It was the only UK football shirt i had seen in all my time over in the US

SHUNT31

Take plenty of clothes. I went 5/6 years ago to this day and it was minus 20!

Rockefeller building is best to go up half hour to an hour before sunset. Can see it in day, sunset and evening. Sunsets behind the empire state when you’re up there and it’s quite spectacular.

Don’t take the subway late at night.

Yank

@Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Just got back from NYC a few days ago. Great city to visit but would never want to live there!

Anyway, some great suggestions above; all I would add is get a slice at Una Pizza Napoletana, best pizza I have ever tasted and I think they won an award for best pizza in America or something. Bit pricey but worth it.

Also, Great Jones Distillery in Manhattan is fantastic if you like whiskey; great atmosphere, great liquor, and the mixology class they offer is top notch!

Have fun and be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread