New York (2 Viewers)

Adge

Off to New York on Monday for 10 days-just after some tips/recommendations please.
Is it worth buying the pass etc for the obvious attractions?

Tommo1993

Off to New York on Monday for 10 days-just after some tips/recommendations please.
Is it worth buying the pass etc for the obvious attractions?

Right place, right time for the passes. I think it’s ‘sightseeingpass’ we usually get, they often do deals, you just have to find it at the right time for those deals. You can sort of build the pass to what you want: days, number of attractions etc.

Enjoy.

Terry_dactyl

I went about 5 years ago and have been keen to go back ever since…there’s so much to see and do.
We didn’t bother with the passes. Still, went up the Rock, across to staton island etc etc etc. just wandering around is also great.

We went about this time of year and checked out the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden. I don’t remember the tickets being outrageous…my then 13 year old daughter, loved it.

Liquid Gold

Get on the free Sten Island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty instead of going to liberty island.

Football season is on at the moment so I'd try and get a Giants or Jets game in if I can.

A lot of the standard tourist stuff is still valid though, don't eat or drink near the big attractions as you'll be paying way over the odds.

Enjoy!

LastGarrison

I'd definitely recommend the passes as it just takes away the hassle as there is so much to see and do!!

I mention this every time but if you are there on a Saturday I highly recommend the Sopranos tour but you would need to book in advance!!

Also, get yourself to Greenwich Village for a night out!

Sick Boy

I was over there mid September - Beer Culture is worth a visit if you like craft beer.
I’d go up the Rockefeller rather than the Empire State Building.
Katz is definitely worth a visit for a proper pastrami sandwich.

Tommo1993

I was over there mid September - Beer Culture is worth a visit if you like craft beer.

Thought of trying Katz’s in the past but I’m not sure if I’d like pastrami or not, it’d be a lot to pay if I didn’t!

Sick Boy

Thought of trying Katz’s in the past but I’m not sure if I’d like pastrami or not, it’d be a lot to pay if I didn’t!
If you like beef you’ll like, it’s unbelievably good. Everything there is so expensive anyway at the moment - we paid around $60 inc tips for 4 craft beers.
We went to Rudy’s as well, which was decent enough and a lot cheaper - the bar had been robbed before so the barman wasn’t in the best of moods though.

fernandopartridge

Hope you've got a few quid as it is a very expensive city these days made worse with the very poor exchange rate.

On my visits I've just bought tickets for the attractions separately, though tbf if you've been up one skyscraper I wouldn't bother with the others.

Best thing about New York is just getting out and pounding the streets, such a great feel to the place

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

greys4life

Was there a couple of weeks ago to see Billy Joel at the Garden, superb btw.

For a first timer I’d do Times Square just to see it aint all that, Central Park, Top of the Rock, Grand Central Station so all the main attractions really (they’re the main attractions for a reason). Dont bother with the Statue of Liberty but take the Staten Island ferry, it's free and you get a great view and a free boat trip - bonus!

One of the best things we found last time was the High Line, Home | The High Line a great walk along one of the old high line railways and now a great walk where you get to see all sorts of different areas from a different perspective and its free.

If you fancy getting out of the city check out Coney Island just a weird place but so cool and easy to get to on the subway (really easy to use and now do contact less). On that subject be careful when using contactless – our bank decided we had used it too much so decided to block all our cards so use chip and pin when you can. We couldn’t buy the Coney Island brewery t’shirts because of that so if you do go ………. Please if you could bring us a couple back and definitely check out the beer.

So top tip is the high line - have a great time

Tommo1993

For a first timer I’d do Times Square just to see it aint all that, Central Park, Top of the Rock, Grand Central Station so all the main attractions really (they’re the main attractions for a reason). Dont bother with the Statue of Liberty but take the Staten Island ferry, it's free and you get a great view and a free boat trip - bonus!

One of the best things we found last time was the High Line, Home | The High Line a great walk along one of the old high line railways and now a great walk where you get to see all sorts of different areas from a different perspective and its free.

If you fancy getting out of the city check out Coney Island just a weird place but so cool and easy to get to on the subway (really easy to use and now do contact less). On that subject be careful when using contactless – our bank decided we had used it too much so decided to block all our cards so use chip and pin when you can. We couldn’t buy the Coney Island brewery t’shirts because of that so if you do go ………. Please if you could bring us a couple back and definitely check out the beer.

We went on the Madison Square Gardens tour and they said he played one Wednesday a month, since then it’s something I’ve wanted to do. We’re there next year but I’m not sure we are on a Wednesday.

M&B Stand

Do you like a drink @Adge ?
If so, Dive bars in NYC are the best places, lots of good ones you’ll just happen upon in Brooklyn and queens, in Manhattan Rudy’s Bar in Hells Kitchen, Jimmys Corner in midtown on W44th.
Mcsorley’s the oldest bar in New York they only do light beer and dark beer, in fact East Village is a great place at night, a kind of Camden vibe we thought.
Get the subway to the other side of Brooklyn Bridge and walk back across into downtown.
century 21 for discount clobber.
Have a great time

Sick Boy

It really is a fantastic city but it’s really expensive - especially with the tipping on top. I went to London for a few days a day after getting back and it felt cheap.
Another vote for the high line from me too.

rondog1973

Good advice re: Rockerfeller. Views just as good and you get the iconic Empire State in your snaps.

Bring some warm clothes too. As we're now into autumn it'll get a bit nippy over there and when it's cold it's cold!

Adge

Good advice re: Rockerfeller. Views just as good and you get the iconic Empire State in your snaps.

Bring some warm clothes too. As we're now into autumn it'll get a bit nippy over there and when it's cold it's cold!
Yeah I’m keeping an eye on the weather. The same as here really at the minute.

Sick Boy

Last month when I was there it was mid 20s most of the time but on the final day it was cooler and the wind picked up and it was a huge shock.
We are looking at going back over in Feb though before going to Hawaii.

fernandopartridge

Yeah the high line is great, Chelsea market worth a look and some decent bars in that general area too, found some half decent craft beer places

Sick Boy

Yeah the high line is great, Chelsea market worth a look and some decent bars in that general area too, found some half decent craft beer places

The craft beer scene, especially IPA, over there is really good - expensive though!

Tommo1993

Wasn’t even half aware of what the high line actually was before this thread, just had a look and I’ve put it on my list for May.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Must revisit this thread when me and Mrs OSB go yo NYC in a couple of years - thanks for the tips, guys!

On the Rockefeller Center suggestion, we have a similar opinion about Paris - don't waste your time and money going up the Eiffel Tower. Instead, take the Metro a few stops and go up La Tour Montparnasse. It's the only proper skyscraper/eyesore in central Paris with an observation deck on the 56th floor with a best view of ... errr ... the Eiffel Tower. AND you don't get La Montparnasse in your photos!! Bar and restuarant up there too.

Adge

We are actually staying in Chelsea so will check it out 👍

Sick Boy

Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer and Jasmine's Caribbean Cuisine are also good too.

Weed is decriminalised there now and smoked more or less everywhere in public.

JAM See

True story.

Went to NYC in 2002, booked with Big Apple Greeters.

It is free, but I was a bit nervous about how much I should tip.

She (Edie) was a force of nature, got us into the zoo FOC ("these guys are from England and we're not staying long"), the MOMA FOC (same as before), and was astonished that we'd actually already got our tickets for Blue Man Group as she could have got us on the guest list.

She was like Joan Rivers on wizz.

Anyway, back to tipping her. She was lovely and told us how much she loved Europe, she had a little place in London, and a nice chalet in Switzerland.

I didn't tip her.

All in all, a great afternoon. You might not get Edie, but worth checking them out.

robbiekeane

lived there for a while so feel free to PM me if you want any detailed reco's, but if you have 10 days there i'd probably try and cram as much of the touristy stuff into 2-3 days. Get it done with. I totally get that you'd want to see it all if visiting but once it's done it can sometimes feel a little bit underwhelming so you don't want to organise your whole trip!

Recommend spending a good amount of time wandering around the west village (four faced liar is a great pub used to be my regular haunt), tribeca, lower east side, alphabet city, in Manhatten. Also check out Williamsberg and Greenpoint in brooklyn (bit more edgy, cool, loads of cool bars/pubs...get yourself to Radegast beerhall and get a stein or 5 lol).

If you go to DUMBO in brooklyn (good place to start of end if you're walking over the brooklyn bridge) then Randolph Beer used to be good...a tonne of different beers that you help yourself too with taps around the wall and a few games like table football and shuffleboard etc.

Adge

Got a list of about 30 odd things/places we definitely want to go-just hope I’m going to get them all in during the time we’re there!

Sick Boy

lived there for a while so feel free to PM me if you want any detailed reco's, but if you have 10 days there i'd probably try and cram as much of the touristy stuff into 2-3 days. Get it done with. I totally get that you'd want to see it all if visiting but once it's done it can sometimes feel a little bit underwhelming so you don't want to organise your whole trip!

Recommend spending a good amount of time wandering around the west village (four faced liar is a great pub used to be my regular haunt), tribeca, lower east side, alphabet city, in Manhatten. Also check out Williamsberg and Greenpoint in brooklyn (bit more edgy, cool, loads of cool bars/pubs...get yourself to Radegast beerhall and get a stein or 5 lol).

If you go to DUMBO in brooklyn (good place to start of end if you're walking over the brooklyn bridge) then Randolph Beer used to be good...a tonne of different beers that you help yourself too with taps around the wall and a few games like table football and shuffleboard etc.
Good tips, thanks. I liked how most people there seemed to order a beer and a shot as a round, even for a lunchtime drink.
Do you reckon going there around February time is madness?

robbiekeane

Good tips, thanks. I liked how most people there seemed to order a beer and a shot as a round, even for a lunchtime drink.
Do you reckon going there around February time is madness?
No worries.

I mean, if you had your pick of any month of the year then Jan/Feb would be at the bottom of that list. It’ll be cold as shit and potentially snowy which after the initial beauty becomes horribly grey shitty mess.

That being said - you’ll still have an amazing time and just dress warm!

ovduk78

No worries.

I mean, if you had your pick of any month of the year then Jan/Feb would be at the bottom of that list. It’ll be cold as shit and potentially snowy which after the initial beauty becomes horribly grey shitty mess.

That being said - you’ll still have an amazing time and just dress warm!
We went in January a few years back and had 1 day of snow and the rest of the time it was very mild. I've also been in February and there was 4 feet of snow and it was bloody freezing.

SBT

Loads of good suggestions in here. Would just add that the NY jazz scene is always worth a night out - a lot of the good places in Harlem have sadly closed since the pandemic, but Showman's and Minton's in Harlem are fantastic, and well worth a late night trip uptown. Also good (in rough order of classiness from least to most) are Blue Note, The Django, and Smoke. Arturo's in Greenwich Village is a banging pizza place with live jazz too.

robbiekeane

We went in January a few years back and had 1 day of snow and the rest of the time it was very mild. I've also been in February and there was 4 feet of snow and it was bloody freezing.
Yeh that’s true. Just depends really year to year. The cold there hits different to cold in the UK though lol

ovduk78

Yeh that’s true. Just depends really year to year. The cold there hits different to cold in the UK though lol
We flew to Boston when we went in the February as we missed our flight to New York thanks to my friend fucking about & I had never before experienced the wall of cold that hit me as I left Boston Airport. The drive down to New York in the snow was fun too.

Users who are viewing this thread