Transfer Rumour Matty James (6 Viewers)

stevefloyd

Matty James still not confirmed on the offal...don't get too excited

Evo1883

It’s fine, you don’t rate him bit you’ve made up your mind on him based on reasons you’ve clarified and then been proven aren’t true.

Well that's not entirely true at all... Pass completion has little to do with losing the ball in your half and putting you in the shit... Could have a 90% pass completion but put your team in the shit twice a match, couldn't you?

You could also play a ball forward 5 yards and get a forward pass but where the chance creation? Wheres the balls into dangerous areas? You said yourself he's a deep lying playmaker so Where's the playmaking? We've established one great pass... I'm not sure you've disproved anything

Evo1883

This whole thread was all about Matty James until you used it as a thread to slate Sheaf with your nonsense.

The fact that you misunderstand player roles so much made me think you probably wouldn't rate a player like James because he's not known for the spectacular either.

Hold on, I don't musinderatand player roles at all , I actually played football at a good level, semi pro almost combined services... The argument was that Sheaf is a deep lying playmaker, which we've established isn't true as he doesn't do the playmaking part... He turns the ball over and completes alot of passes which doesn't account for him making mistakes and surrendering possession in dangerous areas does it...
I could pass a ball 5 yards for 90 minutes, safe passes every match and have a great pass completion, but what part of my game separates and makes me an assett?

1: I know what a deep lying playmaker is
2: it seems its YOU that doesn't

mark82

A statistics based club that signed biamou and Bakayoko, a statistics based club that signed kastaneer and jobello... Come on now.

Don't wish to be pedantic (actually, I do) but Biamou and Baka were signed by the previous recruitment team. Not sure if they used statistical analysis or not, but I'm not sure you can hold that against current recruitment team.

Also not sure you can call Biamou, signed as a league two striker and getting minutes in the Championship, a bad signing. Ditto Jobello, he's been seriously injured, that's not a failure in data analysis.

Kastaneer I'll give you.

Frostie

Hold on, I don't musinderatand player roles at all , I actually played football at a good level, semi pro almost combined services... The argument was that Sheaf is a deep lying playmaker, which we've established isn't true as he doesn't do the playmaking part... He turns the ball over and completes alot of passes which doesn't account for him making mistakes and surrendering possession in dangerous areas does it...
I could pass a ball 5 yards for 90 minutes, safe passes every match and have a great pass completion, but what part of my game separates and makes me an assett?

These guys that actually handle recruitment for a number of clubs obviously don't understand either... I'll let them know to hit you up on here so you can put them right with your expertise.

Jamesimus

Tbh, he just needs to keep it simple and dictate things, he doesn't need to "create" as such I don't think. There are other players who do that. So just by passing the ball progressively, he's helping, a playmaker is often playing the pass / passes before the "assist"

Evo1883

These guys that actually handle recruitment for a number of clubs obviously don't understand either... I'll let them know to hit you up on here so you can put them right with your expertise.

Ok now show me the stats for this season, that show his attacking play, his balls into dangerous areas, his assists... Etc... Show me that he's doing all this at Coventry and il apologise

His game this season is NOT that of a deep lying playmaker.... Because the attacking part of the game isn't there... Cheers

Last season isn't this season at Coventry city is it, last season doesn't show me what I'm seeing on the pitch

Hamer on the other hand, plays that role much better when required

Last edited:

Blue Maniac

MJ might still be in our first team if it weren’t for the injuries. Very good player, but these days even when fit he’s behind Papy and Wilf, probably even behind Horror Hamza, because he’s not kicked a ball for us in a jillion years. You could do a lot worse in the loan market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamesimus

MJ might still be in our first team if it weren’t for the injuries. Very good player, but these days even when fit he’s behind Papy and Wilf, probably even behind Horror Hamza, because he’s not kicked a ball for us in a jillion years. You could do a lot worse in the loan market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See you in Premier League next year pal, watch your backs we're coming for you 🤣

Sky Blue Pete

Don't wish to be pedantic (actually, I do) but Biamou and Baka were signed by the previous recruitment team. Not sure if they used statistical analysis or not, but I'm not sure you can hold that against current recruitment team.

Also not sure you can call Biamou, signed as a league two striker and getting minutes in the Championship, a bad signing. Ditto Jobello, he's been seriously injured, that's not a failure in data analysis.

Kastaneer I'll give you.
In addition all 4 players signed for league 2 or league 1 football. Recruitment team did their jobs

Frostie

Ok now show me the stats for this season, that show his attacking play, his balls into dangerous areas, his assists... Etc... Show me that he's doing all this at Coventry and il apologise

His game this season is NOT that of a deep lying playmaker.... Because the attacking part of the game isn't there... Cheers

Last season isn't this season at Coventry city is it, last season doesn't show me what I'm seeing on the pitch

I might do the analysis some time for my own interests but you'll probably change the argument again so little point sharing.

Evo1883

I might do the analysis some time for my own interests but you'll probably change the argument again so little point sharing.
My argument has been pretty solid in regards to deep lying playmakers... Either way, I don't feel the need to argue all night... So with that in mind, let's agree to disagree...as long as he wears the shirt he's ours so gets my support, that doesn't mean I have to love him as a player

Reactions: PVA

lordy_87

I always saw Shipley as Box to box - his energy got him everywhere. Does Hamer have that energy will be the real question. He’s definitely got more ability
Hamer definitely has more energy, he's all action. Shipley can only go for 60mins and then he's done in, hardly puts himself about either.

stevefloyd

Maybe thats what he's been told to do !

Skybluefaz

I agree, Sheaf is a classy player, nice on the ball when given 5 yards and he's a neat player, some would call a luxury player ... That doesn't mean I think he's a good holding midfielder though... I don't think he is.

Even as a deep lying playmaker, he's often too casual for my liking... Players like pirlo could comb his hair and still find the pass into space... Kroos can genuinely create forward momentum, Sheaf has yet to do this for me... Hence my stance

He's not doing the things that separate the average from the very good
Kante, Makelele, Kroos and Pirlo. That's a hell of a measuring stick.

Liquid Gold

He thinks a deep lying playmaker is a creative central midfielder. Much more of what Walsh is. When Walsh was asked to do Sheaf's role when Kelly was out he put us in the shit a lot more while being older and in a lower division.

Evo1883

Madness. As if Makelele or Kroos are remotely similar roles either yet poor old Sheaf is expected to be a combination of the 2 at 22 years old playing in the 2nd tier for the first time ever 🤷🏼‍♂️
More comparing the roles they should be playing and the jobs that they do, kroos is a deep lying playmaker, so they play similar roles obviously, you already know this but use it as if I'm comparing their abilities which ofcourse would be madness...and you're keeping this argument rumbling which is irritating to say the least

I look forward to you reigniting this thread when sheaf inevitably scores or gets an assist 👍 0 in 20 appearances 0 goals BTW

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

More comparing the roles they should be playing and the jobs that they do, kroos is a deep lying playmaker, so they play similar roles obviously, you already know this but use it as if I'm comparing their abilities which ofcourse would be madness...and you're keeping this argument rumbling which is irritating to say the least
Don’t reply then.

Frostie

I'm confused is all & it seems I'm not the only one.

You want Sheaf to be a similar player to Makelele & a similar player to Kroos even though those 2 play(ed) completely different roles to one another.

It's fine, you've explained it better here, you just don't like his style of player, fair enough.

For me it's never been the sort of player I want as a holding midfielder, I prefer the kante, makelele type holding midfielders.🤷 Just the way I like my players

Users who are viewing this thread