Transfer Rumour Matty James (5 Viewers)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Watch the next match, I'd put money on him having more passes in his own half than the opposition half for starters
He’s the link up man between the defence and midfield. We require someone like him given we play on the ground and from the back.

Liquid Gold

This will be a great signing , it will also ensure we don’t have to play sheaf as much , we are in danger of him playing enough games to trigger us having to sign him
It would be horrible to pick up a young (a year younger that Jordan Shipley)developing midfielder in a key position whose development would turn us into an attractive passing team for a modest fee.

Operations premiership Time Sherwood or nothing.

Evo1883

He’s the link up man between the defence and midfield. We require someone like him given we play on the ground and from the back.

And in the process of doing so is way too casual and not urgent enough alot of the time... It's fast paced football it requires urgency in and around the midfield much of the time

shmmeee

Hes not urgent enough and too casual... For me it's never been the sort of player I want as a holding midfielder, I prefer the kante, makelele type holding midfielders.🤷 Just the way I like my players

Sheaf has good stats on paper, but when you realise 95% of his passes make Sammy clingan look adventurous then his stats are a bit scewed... I often wonder Wether he looks sideways when he walks, or does he have to turn back after walking 5 yards 🤷 who knows

That’s just not true.

You already hit the nail on the head, you like players with little legs.

Evo1883

And ignore the very good stuff presumably.
I dont at all, you're just not happy with my opinion of the player... The other day I stated clearly he was nice on the ball and given 5 yards to think he can do lovely things with the ball... However that's not always possible in this league hence his casual play can see him put us up shit creek

SeaSeeEffCee

I dont at all, you're just not happy with my opinion of the player... The other day I stated clearly he was nice on the ball and given 5 yards to think he can do lovely things with the ball... However that's not always possible in this league hence his casual play can see him put us up shit creek
Something very ironic about bemoaning a player occasionally making a mistake that leads to an opposition attack with a McFadzean display pic.

Liquid Gold

He's the same age as Tom Bayliss who can barely kick a ball in this league. He'll learn.

We're terrible for writing off young players in this fanbase, Sheaf's stats are already particularly impressive, among the highest in the whole league for what he does, once he learns to cut out the mistakes he'll be a player we could only dream of affording.

D

Deleted member 11652

Last year Doncaster fans said that Sheaf just passes sideways. In the article it states ‘Sheaf shows that he isn't a negative passer, with 21.37 forward passes per 90, the highest in the division for a player his age, at a success of 78.09%.’ I’d love the see this years stats.

Evo1883

Something very ironic about bemoaning a player occasionally making a mistake that leads to an opposition attack with a McFadzean display pic.

IL tell you what, we wouldn't have been promoted without fadz and he's outperforming our other(owned) centre halves in this league too... What you say about that shit lips🤣

Evo1883

He's the same age as Tom Bayliss who can barely kick a ball in this league. He'll learn.

We're terrible for righting off young players in this fanbase, Sheaf's stats are already particularly impressive, among the highest in the whole league for what he does, once he learns to cut out the mistakes he'll be a player we could only dream of affording.

Sometimes, people just don't rate certain players as much as others... I accept you think he's great... You simply have to accept I don't think he's that great at all... In the same respect I don't think dele adebola was very good but many city fans loved him, such is life

I liked Jacob Murphy, some city fans didn't... I like fadz... Some city fans don't...

That's football

Liquid Gold

Sometimes, people just don't rate certain players as much as others... I accept you think he's great... You simply have to accept I don't think he's that great at all... In the same respect I don't think dele adebola was very good but many city fans loved him, such is life
Adebola was in a very different age, Mickey Adams probably had them running up the nearest hill in pre season. We now work on a statistical modal that analyses what our players do, feeds in to our tactics and also our recruitment. This is the model that has got us two promotions and it has identified Sheaf as a player that suits us. I agree with all that. You're of course entitled to disagree but if your argument is 'it's because he kicks it back I can tell' then its not much to go on.

Evo1883

You know someone's argument is fully rattled when they revert to laughing emojis all over the place.

Nah, my argument is perfectly fine, logical and I'm not even really being too critical... We could talk about you not understanding formations, the other week you were remarkably smug for no reason and that soon bit your arse.

Wait 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Frostie

I liked Jacob Murphy, some city fans didn't... I like fadz... Some city fans don't...

That's football

Totally agree with all that except you've claimed certain things as fact that quite demonstrably aren't true.

Evo1883

Adebola was in a very different age, Mickey Adams probably had them running up the nearest hill in pre season. We now work on a statistical modal that analyses what our players do, feeds in to our tactics and also our recruitment. This is the model that has got us two promotions and it has identified Sheaf as a player that suits us. I agree with all that. You're of course entitled to disagree but if your argument is 'it's because he kicks it back I can tell' then its not much to go on.
We've already established him surrendering possession in his own half a few too many times as being 1 reason I'm not so sure on the lad... Ofcourse you are ignoring that... Many times the ball forward is on its not played in favour of a simple backward or sideward pass, this stops forward momentum and allows opposing teams to regroup, he's absolutely guilty of this... He needs to use his seemingly talented brain and be a bit braver, which can often be what separates average playmakers and very good playmakers... There is nothing flawed in this thinking, I'm sure Robins also at times gets irritated in how slow we are at building up play and sheaf often plays a huge role on that

PVA

Watch the next match, I'd put money on him having more passes in his own half than the opposition half for starters

Of course he has more passes in his own half.

In the same way that McFadzean has more passes in his own half and Godden has more passes in the opposition half. That's where they play!

His job isn't to play in the opposition half, it's to break up play (which he does - more tackles per game than anyone in the squad) and play a simple ball to start an attack (which he does - second highest pass completion in the squad)

Evo1883

Of course he has more passes in his own half.

In the same way that McFadzean has more passes in his own half and Godden has more passes in the opposition half. That's where they play!

His job isn't to play in the opposition half, it's to break up play (which he does - more tackles per game than anyone in the squad) and play a simple ball to start an attack (which he does - second highest pass completion in the squad)

Obviously he has a high pass completion, and as stated unless we are being dominated then he should be spending most of his time straddled between halves...the game isn't always played in our half is it

Evo1883

So we know he doesn’t lose the ball, wins the ball, plays it forward, basically all we’re left with is “I don’t like his running style”.

No we know he Completes alot of passes, he could make 100 passes a match, give the ball away 10 times in awful areas and still have a 90% pass Completion... What's you're argument?

The quoted forward passes were also from league 1

This lad that we are to sign has worse stats than sheaf this season.... Do we now assume he's a weaker player?

Ps makelele is one of the greatest holding midfielders of his generation if not arguably of all time... Little legs or not

Last edited:

derbyskyblue

John Stones and Danny Drinkwater are premier league winners, and I’m telling you James is the best player we’ve had in the last 15 years, that’s how good he his pal.
Our Barnsley friend rates him as do all the other Barnsley fans. Good enough for me.

shmmeee

No we know he Completes alot of passes, he could make 100 passes a match, give the ball away 10 times in awful areas and still have a 90% pass Completion... What's you're argument?

The quoted forward passes were also from league 1

This lad that we are to sign has worse stats than sheaf this season.... Do we now assume he's a weaker player?

No idea. Mostly I’m just winding you up. I do like Sheaf though, classy player and the stats don’t support the memes about losing the ball. That’s just football fans confirmation bias. Remember Sheaf misplacing a pass but forget Dabo or Hamer doing the same. He’s not really made any more mistakes over the season than any of the back line and even if he has he’s about the youngest one there.

Users who are viewing this thread