Kevin Maton (3 Viewers)

Gynnsthetonic

Lucas Duggins, Mutton, Maton and the rest fuckin dinosaurs the lot of em

Fergusons_Beard

It amazes me how some people have a rose tinted view on what really happened. Sisu tried to get the stadium on the cheap by leaving - putting pressure on the council and a charity- Higgs Trust to sell on the cheap to a hedge fund who NO OF US TRUSTED . Any council not just Coventrys have a responsibility to get the best deal for the Coventry public - because its OUR MONEY which helped towards the development of the stadium. If Sisu got thier way - and got the stadium on the cheap - WE ...the local council tax payer would of lost out . The council got thier money back because a business was prepared to pay the full amount - NOT at the expense of the local tax payer .Sisu had the carpet pulled from under thier feet . And rightly so .
I don't support Wasps or like them here - no more than anyone else . But the council - who are not by far perfect, were right to get the best financial deal for its citizens and not just for skyblues fans.

Honestly still shouldn’t have sold the ground built for the football team to a rugby club from London.

Lots of other councils put up with lots of shit owners but would never ever pull the rug from underneath the City’s over 100 year old football club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chiefdave

Tbf the whole world new we had left the stadium, anyone could of picked up the phone and contacted ACL or CCC if they were interested in bidding.
They may have known we'd moved out but even that isn't guaranteed, that doesn't mean they knew a 250 year lease that was never marketed was available.

fatso

But as you have stated - there was only one bidder then. The council then created a scenario where they couldn’t auction the arena, therefore not getting the best deal for tax payer

also conveniently forgetting ultimately it was down to the council we ended up with SISU
Excluding CCFC didn't mean no one else could enter the bidding.
People are getting hung up over the lack of marketing, but everyone and his dog new the Arena was available. Literally any fucker could of put an offer in.

Anyone in a position to buy a 30k seater arena would of known of its availability.
I know the NEC looked at it but never followed up, im sure there may well of been others.

The reality is, trying to make a business case for a purpose built (and empty) football stadium with zero revenue streams, on the outskirts of Cov was always going to be challenging.

As Wasps have found out.

chiefdave

Just on this point about 'never any indication it was available with anything more than the 38 years remaining on the initial lease', the club knew that the lease could be extended to 125 years as this was what was going to happen as part of the original deal with the club.
That was all published as part of the court case after the Wasps purchase wasn't it. How would any other third party who may have been interested have known?

The simple fact is if you want to achieve best return you market your asset. If a second bidder had shown an interest the price immediately rises and a better return is achieved for the taxpayer.

fatso

Few new posters popping up suddenly on here in defence of the council, hmm…
I don't think anyone is defending the council, I think there's one or 2 just trying to point out that ALL parties share some culpability in the whole sorry affair.

The only question worth debating is " how do we move on from here"

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Excluding CCFC didn't mean no one else could enter the bidding.
People are getting hung up over the lack of marketing, but everyone and his dog new the Arena was available. Literally any fucker could of put an offer in.

Anyone in a position to buy a 30k seater arena would of known of its availability.
I know the NEC looked at it but never followed up, im sure there may well of been others.

The reality is, trying to make a business case for a purpose built (and empty) football stadium with zero revenue streams, on the outskirts of Cov was always going to be challenging.

As Wasps have found out.
But again, you said there was only 1 bidder. They excluded a second. This is not getting the best deal for the tax payer.

you’ve also failed to address the lease extension which again changed any potential.

we were also lured back with the suggestion we could buy it. In reality it was to give wasps an extra tenant

fatso

They may have known we'd moved out but even that isn't guaranteed, that doesn't mean they knew a 250 year lease that was never marketed was available.
Incidentally, a few years ago, I heard from a source within cov rugby club, that Wasps had been approached by a third party about the availability of the Arena.
I've no idea how true it was, but Cov rugby were far from happy.
And if it true it shows that an agent of sorts was hawking the arena about looking for buyers.

oldfiver

Nonsense, there was 1 bid on the table, and that became the valuation.

If you want more money, you need more than 1 bidder. Period!!!

You also have to publicly advertise the sale with the available benefits

The deal was done long before the actual completion

oldfiver

Incidentally, a few years ago, I heard from a source within cov rugby club, that Wasps had been approached by a third party about the availability of the Arena.
I've no idea how true it was, but Cov rugby were far from happy.
And if it true it shows that an agent of sorts was hawking the arena about looking for buyers.

The reason CRFC were upset was spelled out by Peter Jackson

The Chairman and 2 directors met Martin Reeves as they had heard rumours of WASPs interest. Reeves said WASPs not coming, they had found another site and CRFC would always be the primary rugby club

Two weeks later he announced a deal had been agreed with WASPS. When challenged the disingenuous Reeves said - Things change!

Rusty Trombone

That was all published as part of the court case after the Wasps purchase wasn't it. How would any other third party who may have been interested have known?

The simple fact is if you want to achieve best return you market your asset. If a second bidder had shown an interest the price immediately rises and a better return is achieved for the taxpayer.
I thought you were suggesting the club didn't know. If you were just coming from the angle of CCC getting the most money then fair enough.

long way home

Shameless tossers the lot of them. Imagine all these in a room, Sisu, Wasps and Council. The slime and bullshit would be cascading out the door of every passing word. If you could cast a net to catch the most unpopular, most unscrupulous and detested people, this net would hit the jackpot.

They don't need Andy Street they need a miracle for any progression. They are that shit and untrusting, they cant even stand each other. Why, because they are the same as each other. They know what each other is thinking cus they think the same. The club is in a very bad situation and all roads lead to bad times a head.

Sky Blue Pete

Shameless tossers the lot of them. Imagine all these in a room, Sisu, Wasps and Council. The slime and bullshit would be cascading out the door of every passing word. If you could cast a net to catch the most unpopular, most unscrupulous and detested people, this net would hit the jackpot.

They don't need Andy Street they need a miracle for any progression. They are that shit and untrusting, they cant even stand each other. Why, because they are the same as each other. They know what each other is thinking cus they think the same. The club is in a very bad situation and all roads lead to bad times a head.
Bloody hell glass empty not even half empty

long way home

Bloody hell glass empty not even half empty

If you know the past and read the present what can you see as a positive. And what is happening today is damaging not only our club but will seal the end of Wasps in Coventry.

You may see a different path but sooner or later EFL will step in and could mean we are in serious trouble as its not as if we haven't got a history is it..Lastly if we lose players, manager due to this what a waste of so much hard work and support from the fans.

I want to be positive, but realism is definitely not the same.

Last edited:

fatso

The Chairman and 2 directors met Martin Reeves as they had heard rumours of WASPs interest. Reeves said WASPs not coming, they had found another site and CRFC would always be the primary rugby club

Two weeks later he announced a deal had been agreed with WASPS. When challenged the disingenuous Reeves said - Things change!
Yea, that's pretty much what I was told.
I know cov were rightly pissed off and that's where the accusation of third party agents hawking the arena to Wasps came from.

It makes you wonder if the 250 year lease extention was put in the sale to entice wasps.

It seams you can't trust anyone when big business is involved, I said in a previous post that I wouldn't be suprised if dodgy backhanders were involved.

Sky Blue Pete

If you know the past and read the present what can you see as a positive. And what is happening today is damaging not only our club but will seal the end of Wasps in Coventry.

You may see a different path but sooner or later EFL will step in and could mean we are in serious trouble as its not as if we haven't got a history is it..
The current situation is rubbish
Wasps and Ccfc took their eye off the ball
Hopefully soon confirmation of the solution will be public and we’ll all say gosh I hope ccfc and wasps and Dave and Steven can patch things up. They are professional people doing adult jobs so I’m sure they can
We have a 10 year deal with a 7 year break clause
No progress is being made on new stadium
Team are the best we’ve had in a decade
We can move on and be stronger but we do need good working relationships to avoid similar issues in the next 8 years and to agree a further deal as that appear necessary
Robins is a once in a generation manager
We have 13500 season ticket holders a modern era record for us
A couple of home wins and we move on

Half full maybe but it’s really not all gloom and doom

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I know cov were rightly pissed off and that's where the accusation of third party agents hawking the arena to Wasps came from.

It seams you can't trust anyone when big business is involved, I said in a previous post that I wouldn't be suprised if dodgy backhanders were involved.
And it’s ultimately why the arena shouldn’t have been sold. Whilst the council were the holders there’s an easier chance of reconciliation - or SISU packing up and someone else taking over

with Wasps we were always at the mercy of a third party who has no care for the city and its history

Sky Blue Pete

2bf he’s right. Forget points deduction if this pitch issue doesn’t get sorted, we’re looking at expulsion.

wasps are fucked and they’re about to take us down with them.

the council have basically condemned 2 130 year old sports clubs with this arena
That’s one scenario possible but highly unlikely

NorthernWisdom

Oh how lovely that is.

While you're here... ;) Jon Sharpe was agnostic really towards Wasps coming, I guess that was as much because CCC were still freeholders of the Butts at the time?

That same reason is also why any sharing deal with the football club didn't get beyond Fisher mentioning it, or it really was a no-goer?

long way home

I also wasn't talking about the team or results we can have the best squad in the world, but if they are sitting at home on a Tuesday or Saturday then that is a problem.

Pretending the FL will ignore it is not reality and players will be not only behind in game minutes but points also. Next two weeks will be the ones to watch we will get a few answers by then. And i hope its not what i see coming, because while the dicks play power games our club is in a very bad place on the field never mind off it.

oldfiver

Oh how lovely that is.

While you're here... ;) Jon Sharpe was agnostic really towards Wasps coming, I guess that was as much because CCC were still freeholders of the Butts at the time?

That same reason is also why any sharing deal with the football club didn't get beyond Fisher mentioning it, or it really was a no-goer?

They are still the freeholders

Biggest problem at BPA was the pitch CRFC wanted an artificial to fit their plans and capacity.

Ashdown

They are still the freeholders

Biggest problem at BPA was the pitch CRFC wanted an artificial to fit their plans and capacity.
Got to be honest I don’t like that pitch, it has taken something away from the atmosphere and earthy sort of smell of the place

MalcSB

It makes you wonder if the 250 year lease extention was put in the sale to entice wasps.

You only wonder about the lease extension??!!!!!!

theferret

It is, but if it’s constantly in an unplayable state at some point they’re going to say enough is enough

This is deeply worrying. I don't believe there is a club out there willing to ground share for any length of time, aside from Burton perhaps and the financial hit of that, and the prospect of ST ballots and all the toxicity if will generate, is frightening.

As it stands we've got nowhere to play, literally got nowhere to turn. Proper scary this. No idea how this ends.

Users who are viewing this thread