Kevin Maton (2 Viewers)

Kingokings204

It amazes me how some people have a rose tinted view on what really happened. Sisu tried to get the stadium on the cheap by leaving - putting pressure on the council and a charity- Higgs Trust to sell on the cheap to a hedge fund who NO OF US TRUSTED . Any council not just Coventrys have a responsibility to get the best deal for the Coventry public - because its OUR MONEY which helped towards the development of the stadium. If Sisu got thier way - and got the stadium on the cheap - WE ...the local council tax payer would of lost out . The council got thier money back because a business was prepared to pay the full amount - NOT at the expense of the local tax payer .Sisu had the carpet pulled from under thier feet . And rightly so .
I don't support Wasps or like them here - no more than anyone else . But the council - who are not by far perfect, were right to get the best financial deal for its citizens and not just for skyblues fans.

i know what you are saying but it’s misguided. You’ve looked straight at a deal and concluded it’s money back. Wasps still got a cheap deal that’s why they are here but any one with sense would tell you they wouldn’t and couldn’t make it work. And here we are 7 years later with not a pot to piss in whilst in the mean time those 7 years were a disaster for the football club. Thankfully Mark Robins has performed a miracle and got us to the championship. I still struggle to know how he has done it.
So whilst I agree with moving out to devalue the stadiums etc the longer term and sisu getting a cheap stadium would have got rid of them and maybe just maybe a serious buyer with the stadium and football club together we could have been a serious threat.
Also ask the local business and sponsors etc. wasps have sold Under 1000 season tickets and are bust so we are back to the same situation almost. The football club needs to own the Ricoh getting 25k crowds every other week. There is no other way other than knocking the thing down.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It amazes me how some people have a rose tinted view on what really happened. Sisu tried to get the stadium on the cheap by leaving - putting pressure on the council and a charity- Higgs Trust to sell on the cheap to a hedge fund who NO OF US TRUSTED . Any council not just Coventrys have a responsibility to get the best deal for the Coventry public - because its OUR MONEY which helped towards the development of the stadium. If Sisu got thier way - and got the stadium on the cheap - WE ...the local council tax payer would of lost out . The council got thier money back because a business was prepared to pay the full amount - NOT at the expense of the local tax payer .Sisu had the carpet pulled from under thier feet . And rightly so .
I don't support Wasps or like them here - no more than anyone else . But the council - who are not by far perfect, were right to get the best financial deal for its citizens and not just for skyblues fans.

14 messages in 6 years.

Anyone that was involved in this corruption and sinister actions will be outed, and will no longer be able to stand pubicly in the city when this is all over. That day is coming quickly now. So, I hope you know that whichever coward you are fronting for will get their justice pretty soon.

Grendel

Its safe to say the plan has not worked well though has it and the taxpayer for Wasps to have a remote chance of survival will be getting a far bigger bail out soon

Alasyeyorath

Oh look, a strange account appears.

How's that best deal for the Coventry Public looking?
Not a strange account - i simply over the years have only read the comments on hear - as do the majority of its members. As usaul you get dogs abuse for saying anything on here . Im not a Councillor . Just a local fan - nothing more .

Alasyeyorath

Its safe to say the plan has not worked well though has it and the taxpayer for Wasps to have a remote chance of survival will be getting a far bigger bail out soon
If a bail out happens- I would be just as outraged as anyone else
I camt personally see this happen but saying that nothing surprises me anymore !

Alasyeyorath

Looks like a fantastic deal for the citizens right now. Wonder how the pubs around the Ricoh feel about that deal - now and the years we were in exile?
I'm not here to defend the council. Hindsight is a great thing but at THAT time is was the only option. I'm a tax payer just like everyone else but I didn't want my tax to go to a hedge fund

Ross1247

Funny comments from Maton about the jobs in sports and tourism created by wasps. Did he not care about the many more jobs CCFC create in the city(and have for over 100years) in sports and tourism etc and when we had to move out of the city along with those jobs. And supporting sustainable business... If wasps were sustainable why did they need to leave London, why can't they repay their debt, relay the pitch they are responsible for? Wasps are only here because of the favourable terms made available to them and to profit from that, if they felt a better deal was available elsewhere they would take their franchise there in a heart beat I'd imagine. This guy is so biased here it's not even funny, seems to forget his obligation to who and what he is supposed to represent.

tisza

How is it the best deal for the public when it did not go through an open market process? Done behind closed doors. Was there an agent's board outside the Arena saying "for sale"?

Last edited:

procdoc

Hello Mr Mayor

tisza

I'm not here to defend the council. Hindsight is a great thing but at THAT time is was the only option. I'm a tax payer just like everyone else but I didn't want my tax to go to a hedge fund
But to a wealthy individual hiding behind another overseas holding company for tax purposes is okay?

M&B Stand

It’s amazing how people have forgotten about the 1.3 million a year rent for a league one club with no income streams attached that was literally killing us.

lots of those same people at the time didn’t even want it lowering, they wanted to use it saying (that’s what they signed up for) making the councils argument for them, to force sisu out with another administration and some wanted liquidation and a Phoenix club, their hatred of the owners was that extreme.

moving to Northampton was a PR disaster but ultimately it probably saved the club at the time.

alexccfc99

Even if Wasps were to go kaput, the stadium would fall back in to the councils hands right?

What chance does CCFC have with these muppets like Kevin Maton making the decisions

fatso

Even if Wasps were to go kaput, the stadium would fall back in to the councils hands right?

What chance does CCFC have with these muppets like Kevin Maton making the decisions
The absolute last thing the council will want is to take over the CBS arena and all the subsequent costs involved.

better days

Doublespeak
I think we know who's side you're on
Matthew Syed's take on people like you and those you're defending sums it up really
I don't much like any political party btw but this is the one that helped screw CCFC

My tortuous bid to be a Labour MP makes me view the Tories with envy

The double-think and jargon required to get on in Labour shows how far they have to go on diversity
Matthew Syed

Sunday July 17 2022, 12.01am, The Sunday Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-makes-me-view-the-tories-with-envy-rrbrhqd3z
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...-makes-me-view-the-tories-with-envy-rrbrhqd3z
https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...-makes-me-view-the-tories-with-envy-rrbrhqd3z
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-makes-me-view-the-tories-with-envy-rrbrhqd3z
Save
When I look back on my attempt to become a Labour parliamentary candidate, I shudder. I had long taken an interest in politics, read political memoirs and, in my thirties, attended a public-speaking club called Toastmasters. I wanted to improve the debating skills that had not been part of my state school education.

Perhaps I was a little naive. I assumed the party would want motivated people with the potential to make a contribution to constituency and country. In fact I found myself in a labyrinth of vested interests, affiliates and shadowy networks. After a year of getting ever more lost in this thicket of confusion, I realised that the Labour Party was set up to select the wrong candidates in the wrong way for the wrong reasons.

I mention this because it has been widely noted that the Tory party’s leadership election has had a diverse list of candidates, including Suella Braverman, Kemi Badenoch, Liz Truss, Nadhim Zahawi, Penny Mordaunt and Rishi Sunak. This is a party that may be teetering on the brink of nervous breakdown, but there is at least a nod to selecting leaders on merit. Isn’t that why Margaret Thatcher was chosen at a time when women were rarities in politics? This ruthless party saw that she had what it took to win and promoted her accordingly.
The Labour Party — well, let me tell you about my experience. After cutting my teeth in an unwinnable seat at the 1998 local election and then the 2001 general election, I decided to try for a winnable one in the build-up to the 2010 election. I wrote emails to the party and identified a number of constituencies with which I had a personal connection. I was invited to meet Keith Vaz, a man who would become notorious for corruption and sex scandals but at that time was involved in candidate selection. “He has a passion for broadening the intake of the party,” I was informed.
We met three times in his office — I assumed so that he could assess my character and grasp of politics, but it was, in truth, an indoctrination into the surrealism of the party. He explained that I needed to join various unions that had “affiliated status” and could “nominate you on to mandatory shortlists”. I asked him to explain this and other jargon but it was difficult to keep track. “Make sure you meet the GMB and Unison,” he said, “and understand their policy positions.”

I met Mary Turner from the GMB and then officials from Unison and Unite. I gleaned that some unions had a “lock” on certain constituencies so I needed to secure alliances with local barons, too. I found it difficult to nod politely as they outlined policies that contradicted official party policy and from time to time couldn’t stop myself gently pointing this out. I am not sure it went down too well.
Vaz then told me that he was setting up a meeting with Nick Brown, then the chief whip. A few days later I was told the venue: the Whisky Mist nightclub in Mayfair. Eh? I drove into town wondering whether this was some kind of elaborate hoax but steeled myself as a muscle-bound doorman looked me up and down. “I’m here to meet the chief whip,” I said as casually as I could, only realising as the words escaped my lips the S&M connotations. To my amazement he replied: “He’s expecting you,” and led me inside. I chatted with Brown on a table near the bar, and after a few minutes he stood up. For a moment I wondered if he was going to ask me to dance.
Vaz, meanwhile, had got in touch to say we needed to meet again. “Do you own any properties other than the one you live in?” he asked sternly. “Yes,” I said, somewhat surprised. “I have money invested in both stocks and property.” His face darkened. “Don’t mention this, even if you have to lie,” he said. “It isn’t a good look.” I protested that I had worked hard to get ahead financially and wasn’t going to be ashamed of it. Shouldn’t the Labour Party celebrate aspiration, I asked. “For f***’s sake, just keep your mouth shut,” he said. I refused to comply.
By the time I was invited to an interview, I felt dizzy. The selection board included Tom Watson, Vaz, Angela Eagle and a few other MPs. I prepared assiduously, and answered questions on energy policy, education and more. As I spoke, I could see a few nodding heads, and by the end I felt I had performed as well as I could have. That night Watson phoned my mobile: “The panel thought you were the outstanding candidate, but the unions wanted someone else,” he said. Strange to say, I almost felt relieved. By now I wanted nothing less than to become a Labour MP.

I couldn’t help contrasting this surreal experience with my former life in table tennis. I love sport because you succeed on ability rather than creed or colour; on what you can bring to the table rather than connections or greased palms. I love the clarity this brings to the competition; the way it liberates you to reach the summit of your potential. Upwards and forever upwards. Meritocracy isn’t some optional extra or vanity project; it is the cornerstone of our greatest achievements.
Isn’t that how all institutions should work? Think of the benefits to society if, in professions such as law and finance, success were driven not by covert networks, discretionary internships and cosy nepotism but by potential. Imagine what it would do for social mobility, social justice and growth. Diversity emerges, at least in part, from this beautiful philosophy.
Isn’t that why football — a domain where preferment is based on transparency of talent in open competition — boasts top players from such a remarkable array of backgrounds, from the favelas of Brazil to the back streets of Toxteth?
And how tragic that the Labour Party, this institution that advertises itself as the bastion of progressive ideals, represents its antithesis. How tragic that recruitment is not about selecting on talent but a Potemkin exercise in power dynamics that would take a PhD in anthropology to understand. The parliamentary party may look diverse, but its recruits are homogenised via the sausage machine of recruitment and corrupted by having to pander to so many vested interests.

Alasyeyorath

But to a wealthy individual hiding behind another overseas holding company for tax purposes is okay?
I'm simply seeing it that at the time the council needed to get the best deal for the citizens of Coventry. I'm not here to defend the council but as a tax payer I would be miffed if my money was spent to give to a cayman island based hedge fund . Like I have already said I'm not no lover of wasps or whoever owns them no more than anyone else . CCFC finances were fucked a longtime before Sisu and the council were involved due to miss management . Sisu came in at the time to make a quick profit ....it didn't work out . What would the fans have said if the council sold the stadium and the freehold and the lease hold to Sisu and they knocked it down to develop to make more money....just what hedge funds are about - increasing thier return on thier investment. Wouldn't the fans still be mad at the council for selling ? Of course they would. And then the posts would be about the council selling to a hedge fund !

Nick

Administrator
I'm simply seeing it that at the time the council needed to get the best deal for the citizens of Coventry. I'm not here to defend the council but as a tax payer I would be miffed if my money was spent to give to a cayman island based hedge fund . Like I have already said I'm not no lover of wasps or whoever owns them no more than anyone else . CCFC finances were fucked a longtime before Sisu and the council were involved due to miss management . Sisu came in at the time to make a quick profit ....it didn't work out . What would the fans have said if the council sold the stadium and the freehold and the lease hold to Sisu and they knocked it down to develop to make more money....just what hedge funds are about - increasing thier return on thier investment. Wouldn't the fans still be mad at the council for selling ? Of course they would. And then the posts would be about the council selling to a hedge fund !

They didn't get the best deal and it was given to a Maltese one.

Why would somebody who clearly knows nothing suddenly decide to login and post on a thread like this?

Alasyeyorath

14 messages in 6 years.

Anyone that was involved in this corruption and sinister actions will be outed, and will no longer be able to stand pubicly in the city when this is all over. That day is coming quickly now. So, I hope you know that whichever coward you are fronting for will get their justice pretty soon.
Who are you ? The withinder general ? I'm a member just like anyone else . When i post is up to me

Grendel

Thet wouldn’t have been allowed to sell the head lease for development purposes

It wasn’t worth any money at the point of sale anyway

Alasyeyorath

Freedom of speech rant next as part of your act?
Why ? Is freedom of speech a problem ? Or if it doesn't fit your narrative it must be a problem ? I'm a city fan and have been for over 50 years - I don't need to seek your or anyone else's approval

fatso

14 messages in 6 years.

Fuck me, that sounds sinister!
Some poor fucker is going to wake up with a horses head in his bed !!!

Grendel

Why ? Is freedom of speech a problem ? Or if it doesn't fit your narrative it must be a problem ? I'm a city fan and have been for over 50 years - I don't need to seek your or anyone else's approval

But your analysis on the lease sale is nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread