Head of Recruitment Chris Badlan and Chief Scout Stuart Benthom have left the Club. (3 Viewers)

Happy_Martian

Badlan has gone from Head of Recruitment with us to Sporting Director at Blackpool. Looks like a step up from his role with us.

robbiekeane

Surely any database of players is CCFC IP? That’s been standard anywhere I’ve worked. But I seem to recall something about a previous scout taking theirs with them or something?

think Pressley did one with it

New scouting network to be set up​

Mowbray confirmed today the club is currently without any scouts. The ones employed by Steven Pressley are no longer employed by the club. He told the Diamond Club talk last night that he would look at using the Scout 7 system next season which would see a database utilised.

"There are no scouts and no database of players. Wherever I have been before whenever I have left that database stays with the club."

Philosorapter

It wouldn't be hard to set up a system going from the academy leagues to wherever, which would give objective measurements.

Everything else is just subjective.

rob9872

Step up for Badlan. I'm sure we'll be aware of his targets from longevity in the role and it's sometimes good to freshen it up with a new direction and a new voice. Hopefully good for us and him.

Philosorapter

May I add,

No white (home) advantage or looking after rating inflation/deflation etc in that system.

Just standard stuff, which between us lot, is getting quite old now.

Still a lot more accurate than the FIFA rankings.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It wouldn't be hard to set up a system going from the academy leagues to wherever, which would give objective measurements.

Everything else is just subjective.
That would be good for identifying targets, though I guess it would mean everyone would identify the same targets using the same metrics.

Still need good old fashioned scouting to see their style or play and if they'd 'fit in', as well as doing some background on personality, behaviour and discipline etc.

Philosorapter

That would be good for identifying targets, though I guess it would mean everyone would identify the same targets using the same metrics.

Still need good old fashioned scouting to see their style or play and if they'd 'fit in', as well as doing some background on personality, behaviour and discipline etc.

Couldn't agree more with what you have said.

And yes, once you have an assumed position of their strength, you can then look at their games.

I guess the scouting is where the expertise in sports lies.

Here's what it looks like in chess.

Last edited:

Telfer85

Weird one this…there’s some talk on the blackpool forum he may have leaked team news on Friday night. Statement with no “wish all the best for the future” in suggests may not be amicable parting.

SBT

Oh dear.

It won't be long until those same people/wannabe mates of his who were apologists for our poor recruitment are along to defend him.
I think most League One clubs would kill for the kind of poor recruitment we had from Badlan over the past five years.

Bear in mind I’m not saying this because I’m a CCFC fan who’s largely enjoyed the last few years; I’m probably only saying it because I want to be Chris Badlan’s best mate.

Perryccfc

Don’t get the hate towards him. Yes we had some shockers but he was searching in the bargain basement, for predominately free or loans, bound to have some stinkers. The only players we have paid a significant fee for were Hamer and Gyokeres which shows what he could produce with a proper budget. Sure I remember reading how he tracked Hamer for a couple of years. Obviously knows his stuff.

Grendel

Don’t get the hate towards him. Yes we had some shockers but he was searching in the bargain basement, for predominately free or loans, bound to have some stinkers. The only players we have paid a significant fee for were Hamer and Gyokeres which shows what he could produce with a proper budget. Sure I remember reading how he tracked Hamer for a couple of years. Obviously knows his stuff.

Did he sign Kastaneer, Da Costa and Hillsner as well Perry? Sounds like his an Andy Thorn type of scout to me

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think most League One clubs would kill for the kind of poor recruitment we had from Badlan over the past five years.

Bear in mind I’m not saying this because I’m a CCFC fan who’s largely enjoyed the last few years; I’m probably only saying it because I want to be Chris Badlan’s best mate.

The point isn't really about the recruitment here because it is irrelevant in terms of my post. We could have signed Neymar, Mbappe, and Haaland, or Biamou, Duffy, and Burge. I mean, the reaction you received on your attempt at trying to be funny qualifies what I'm saying anyway.

For the record we did make a lot of really bad signings under him, but let's not upset anybody any further.

Grendel

The Philosopher

This is all circular.

A couple of years ago I made reference to us following the “Brentford Model” - where we buy decent prospects in their early 20’s and develop.

I got called out and referred people to a Dave Boddy podcast on the subject.

Anyhoo

Gyok, O’Hare, Sheaf, Hamer fit the model and are wins in that regard. Walker, Hillsner, Baka, Allasani, not so.

The key is, did Badlan have more wins than failures?

Grendel

This is all circular.

A couple of years ago I made reference to us following the “Brentford Model” - where we buy decent prospects in their early 20’s and develop.

I got called out and referred people to a Dave Boddy podcast on the subject.

Anyhoo

Gyok, O’Hare, Sheaf, Hamer fit the model and are wins in that regard. Walker, Hillsner, Baka, Allasani, not so.

The key is, did Badlan have more wins than failures?

The Brentford model which has an owner who gifted them £100m and had a £44m wage bill when promoted

ccfc1234

Badlan made a great signing in Hamer and his European connections in finding him in the Dutch league was admirable. There were however a host of long contract signings he made for the first team that were very below average. He also signed an even larger number of players for the u21s none of whom look like they will make a meaningful contribution to the first team. All the talent in the 21s that looks like it might make an impact Eccles, Burroughs, Howley all had nothing to do with Badlan.

Whatever has gone on at Blackpool seems quite abrupt and that leads me to think either he has recommended a number of players that the managerment team think are a million miles away and therefore he is considered a professional liability. Or something off the field has happened that the club deem amounts to gross misconduct and they are letting him leave rather than sacking him?

Users who are viewing this thread