Euro 2016 big thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

If we'd have topped the group then we'd have a decent shot on paper of making the final.

One out of Switzerland, Poland, Croatia, Wales, Portugal, Hungary, Northern Ireland, Turkey, Belguim will make the final

Or Sweden.

SkyblueBazza

Can someone explain why Turkey have got through, but not Albania?

It's all very straightforward Otis...

The following Uefa criteria will be applied, in this order:

Points tally
Goal difference
Goals scored
Fair play ranking in the group stage
Uefa national team coefficient rankings (These are based on all competitive results since September 2010. England are ranked third overall but Republic of Ireland are 20th of the 24 finalists, Wales are 22nd and Northern Ireland 24th)

(Courtesy of the BBC)

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Otis

So, Wales v Northern Ireland. Any preference? Wales? Northern Ireland? Or not particularly bothered?

I'll be rooting for the Irish personally.

Skyblueweeman

I cannot believe this is even up for debate Otis?! Northern Ireland is who you should be rooting for...without doubt!

Sort yourself out man.

I have my birthday meal on Saturday at 8.30pm. I'm either going to it very drunk, or I'm going to it very drunk....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

I cannot believe this is even up for debate Otis?! Northern Ireland is who you should be rooting for...without doubt!

Sort yourself out man.

I have my birthday meal on Saturday at 8.30pm. I'm either going to it very drunk, or I'm going to it very drunk....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errm, I did say I was rooting for the Irish from the off.

Just wondered what other posters thinking was.

Ashdown

Italy made 8 changes last night, still a cracking result though for a bunch of 'Championship' players. Fancy England to beat Iceland, many of their fans will have gone home and their luck has to run out now surely. England have dominated every game so far without really getting into gear.

Otis

Italy made 8 changes last night, still a cracking result though for a bunch of 'Championship' players. Fancy England to beat Iceland, many of their fans will have gone home and their luck has to run out now surely. England have dominated every game so far without really getting into gear.
True and though people are saying we now have Spain, Italy, France and Germany on our side of the draw, we don't have to play all of them!

Spain play Italy, so only one through there and then whoever wins that has to play Germany if they get through.

That means if we make it past Iceland then we should only have France and then just one out of Germany/Spain/Italy to play to get to the final.

Tis a tough side of the draw, but on the other side there is Portugal and Belgium and those two now must be clear favourites to make it through to the final from their side of the draw.

Monners

I have never not looked forward to an Ireland match as much as this before. Italy will play the reserves and still win comfortably. Even if we a fluke a 1-0 win, 4 points would still leave us bottom of the group if Sweden were to win against Belgium - luck of the Irish eh!

Where is the next generation of players coming from (fingers crossed for our very own Darragh Leahy)?

An emotional evening. Thought we had blown it when Houlihan missed the one on one. Great goal, great celebrations. The phone was buzzing afterwards from family "over the water" and friends.

The draw has opened up now - France next, then Iceland (possibly England), then either Germany or Spain. Northern Ireland in the final! :)

Glad I was wrong (see post above) - there is a first time for everything. :p

Otis

An emotional evening. Thought we had blown it when Houlihan missed the one on one. Great goal, great celebrations. The phone was buzzing afterwards from family "over the water" and friends.

The draw has opened up now - France next, then Iceland (possibly England), then either Germany or Spain. Northern Ireland in the final! :)

Glad I was wrong (see post above) - there is a first time for everything. :p
And I think you will give France a good game too.

They have some brilliant players but I believe you can knock them out of their stride and if you do that you have a chance.

An England v Ireland quarter final would be brilliant.

Monners

And I think you will give France a good game too.

They have some brilliant players but I believe you can knock them out of their stride and if you do that you have a chance.

An England v Ireland quarter final would be brilliant.

Just to watch Lineker salivate at the prospect of winning after he missed all those chances in 88! He has never got over it.

Can't see beating France if Pogba, Payet and Griezmann turn up.

Last night made up for Poland 4 years ago when I travelled in hope. Fantastic trip (apart from the football) - and not one white plastic chair was thrown in anger!

Otis

France can be hit or miss though, so if they are not quite on their game you do have a chance.

Addi

So what do you make of your chances against us Icelanders? It will be a tough match for us, but it surely wont be easy for you either. Our defence is really hard to break down :)

xcraigx

I was celebrating when Iceland won as I did not fancy Portugal in the next round but after reflecting on things it's just the sort of match we do not need. Another team who will defend in numbers and will be very hard to break down. They have also scored in all 3 games so are no mugs going forwards either. Portugal cannot defend at all so maybe we would have been better off facing them.

Users who are viewing this thread