Doug King Takeover (4 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not too fussed that there wasn't much of note in that. Like when he first appeared he comes across well and level-headed and doesn't want to go down the route of throwing money at it for the sake of it. Would rather that than a Derby/Sheff Weds etc situation.

I'd also be happy, as boring as it is, if once the transfer window closes he spends a chunk of the budget getting a decent team around Dean Austin. Recruitment is key to a club like us.

The squad however does require immediate surgery in more than one sense. It needs a hard fund injection

djr8369

Bigging up Fraser Group - Professional Outfit
Better to have a short term so we can negotiate with change
Can only buy something that's For Sale
Vision - Have to be sensible else you get in trouble, secure talent, increase quality in squad, knocking on doors while in top half championship
Gets on with MR and AV which is a positive
If you keep selling best players you will fail
If a player wants to leave, what can we do? He wants them to stay with us but if they are unhappy what can we do
Players will get a feeling of things changing
Vik is a pivotal player, doesn't want him going anywhere
Promises better communication with the fans, need fans and community with the club
If we want to challenge we need everybody on board
He will be out and about in February
Has been waiting for approval so couldn't talk too much but he likes to communicate so will be doing it
Got involved because he loves football and sport, up here with yelo. City is up and coming.
Loads going on in the midlands and getting involved in a club that has been ticking over and not out of control
With his leadership he wants to give it a good go to get us where to go
Understands the risks, not going to throw money around but is willing to invest
If you throw too much in and it doesnt work you get defensive and try and chase the money
Experience taught him that when investing so much money, get fully into it so you fully understand
Him and Dave Boddy will work out who does what, he wants to be fully involved though
Frasers Group is moving into loads of areas and moving their business, its healthy for the club the landlord is well financed and healthy
Positive to work with Frasers group to get everything aligned with them, the club and community
University of Warwick, lot of work went on but it's not the top of his list of things to look at. Might be something for future after talks with Fraser Group
Robins the most important person as the manager of the team, the academy etc all comes back to that and him
Robins understands what we want to do and how we want to do it, positive culture
Not scared to invest when the time and thing is right, not going to just throw money about to make a statement
Recapatilised the debt in Cov City Co, there's no debt in the club from the date of takeover
Re: Stadium Offer Money going into the club - Not a short term project for him, funds available for different things. Training ground, academy, infrastructure will all be looked at
Training Ground - Question of what comes first, need to figure out where to invest first and do it properly. Would love us to be at a place where top athletes love to be.
Lots of players out of contract, everybody is a human and has a career but we need to build a top quality championship upwards team
Fans and Players will get Transparency from him
Hopes fans will be involved and realistic, blanket coverage of everything he does is not his thing. Not on social media
Will go to fans forums in Feb
Getting fans means more revenues for a better squad
Hasnt met Mike Ashley, Michael Murray is running it and it's under his remit.
Stadium and going forwards with it at the top of his list
Mark and Dean experienced in recruitment and seeing what is value for money, last few years been impressive
Isn't reckless but is a man, so if getting comfortable about investing in talent then he will
The way it is structured is there's no debt at all from Otium to Cov City Co Holding Company
The club isn't printing money so it may need finance from him going forward to invest
If there is debt, there won't be interest or interest taken out
A stadium can bring in revenue but also costs money as Wasps saw
Not much he can do about it now but if he can have a strong relationship with Fraser Group it can work as well
Need to raise revenues, do need higher crowds, need to engage with community
If people expect him to pick up every tab and not attend to games or get on the journey then it won't happen like that
If you go up then it's guaranteed parachute payments which then filters down to the community / training ground / academy
Would love to improve the infrastructure by getting to the top division
10 days left in the window, clear the squad is skinny because of injury issues. Not writing off promotion this year but also not delusional
Doesn't want to ever be in a relegation fight, that would be failure. Need to be knock, knock, knocking on Premier League door
That's the goal set for the manager and recruitment and lots of change in the summer
Thanks Nick I haven’t got time to listen

Covkid1968#

Yeah in fairness he sounded level headed and has a plan of sorts. Incremental growth is how we have found success so let’s enjoy a bit of incremental growth plus!! I’m happy to fully support him. I’ve ordered a King of Shave pack aswell so I’m all in. Welcome Doug ❤️❤️

slowpoke

I'm not too fussed that there wasn't much of note in that. Like when he first appeared he comes across well and level-headed and doesn't want to go down the route of throwing money at it for the sake of it. Would rather that than a Derby/Sheff Weds etc situation.

I'd also be happy, as boring as it is, if once the transfer window closes he spends a chunk of the budget getting a decent team around Dean Austin. Recruitment is key to a club like us.
I suspect Austin will have done that.

pusbccfc

He's quite similar to Robins in his press brief. Quite straight faced, straight talking, doesn't seem to get over excitable. I can see why they might get on well.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Agreed. So similar.

Theonlywayisskyblue

I read the comments on here before listening to Doug. I think what has confused some people is that we now have a (majority) owner who speaks with a conciliatory tone, has respect for the other parties he has to work with and speaks a lot of measured common sense. Clearly this will take some getting used to for all of us after the last 15 years.

The Philosopher

Just watched both parts.

Comes over as sensible.

He has typical square mile phraseology and pronunciation (sidduashun, for situation type thing, was waiting for him to say “chariddee”). Seems to see this as a project in VC terms - buy in, improve, sell on for a profit.

Similar ethos to SISU in that regard but I think the main difference is that Doug is a negotiator rather than an aggressor. SISU seemed American like (obviously) - litigious/aggressive and Doug more pragmatic and wanting to find a solution rather than a fight.

Spoke of capitalising £60m (did anyone ever mention that figure before I wonder?) to leave the club “debt free” (in reality it isn’t though I’d wager, CCFC might be nominally debt free but Covcityco clearly owes someone or something £60m. It might be share holders, investors or bank or another Hedge fund. Maybe we will find out one day but the critical point is that clearly DK has a greater potential to raise funds than SISU were willing or able to.).

One journo asked a ridiculous question along the lines of “you bid £25m for the stadium, is that what you have availability to buy players?”. Clearly not. Spending £25m on something that you can mortgage / borrow against is totally different to buying a player. He batted the question away well without calling the journo a nobber - which was quite impressive.

Not sure what Dave Boddy is going to do long term is another takeaway from the interview.

I did wonder at the outset how much time DK would (given his other business commitments) devote to CCFC. Initial impression is that he’s going to be hands on.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just watched both parts.

Comes over as sensible.

He has typical square mile phraseology and pronunciation (sidduashun, for situation type thing, was waiting for him to say “chariddee”). Seems to see this as a project in VC terms - buy in, improve, sell on for a profit.

Similar ethos to SISU in that regard but I think the main difference is that Doug is a negotiator rather than an aggressor. SISU seemed American like (obviously) - litigious/aggressive and Doug more pragmatic and wanting to find a solution rather than a fight.

Spoke of capitalising £60m (did anyone ever mention that figure before I wonder?) to leave the club “debt free” (in reality it isn’t though I’d wager, CCFC might be nominally debt free but Covcityco clearly owes someone or something £60m. It might be share holders, investors or bank or another Hedge fund. Maybe we will find out one day but the critical point is that clearly DK has a greater potential to raise funds than SISU were willing or able to.).

One journo asked a ridiculous question along the lines of “you bid £25m for the stadium, is that what you have availability to buy players?”. Clearly not. Spending £25m on something that you can mortgage / borrow against is totally different to buying a player. He batted the question away well without calling the journo a nobber - which was quite impressive.

Not sure what Dave Boddy is going to do long term is another takeaway from the interview.

I did wonder at the outset how much time DK would (given his other business commitments) devote to CCFC. Initial impression is that he’s going to be hands on.
He deserves a clean slate to work from in any case. After 15 years of SISU however I think most can be forgiven for being sceptical of any claims he makes.

Offhegoes

A few observations.
King appears like a guy who’s bought a football club, but doesn’t really know anything about owning a football club
Despite this, he seems genuine, ambitious and keen. A smart business brain, and possibly exactly what we need.

GaryPendrysEyes

His approach is exactly what you’d expect from an owner with fairly limited funds. It will be more a long term organic growth approach rather than someone investing more heavily risk and reward.
We have to see what he actually does in terms of net spending on the squad and the quality it retains and brings in.
For now I am pleased that he isn’t a lunatic like Storey and speaks with some signs of grey matter.
Let’s hope we see some decent tangible investment and that it isn’t just Sisu mk2 with better marketing skills…

sotvtoday

He deserves a clean slate to work from in any case. After 15 years of SISU however I think most can be forgiven for being sceptical of any claims he makes.
I think if he understands that then potentially he can make a lot of progress quickly. We're all desperate for a decent owner.

Hobo

The guy deserves a chance. But people are trying to lump all the SISU history and mistrust on his back straight away.

I wont judge him until at least two summer transfer windows. We might sell one of the big names but it will depend how much is reinvested in the team? Coventry has always had to sell but been starved of proper reinvestment.

Having targets and making signings can be miles apart? I would rather limp along and sign a proper target in the summer rather than waste money on a make do signing now.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Said all the right things, played to the audience well, clearly he is excited to be involved. The important things though are what actually happens, words are easy. On that front personally i am comfortable and happy to let him get on with it and to see where we are in 12 months time (that will be when the May 2023 financials are filed and we can see what is what a little clearer).

He didnt provide very much detail in reality, and was careful with his words - to be expected really. Journalists gave him an easy ride and he allowed them to lead the direction of questions - quite skilled in doing that. The short time frame for each journalist meant the Journalists were time pressured not him. Plenty of the right sound bytes but little substance

What i took from it

- that Covcityco ltd has not added any new debt (his phrase) Does that mean there is still debt of some sort? Had he wanted to, for instance, he could have done away with the preference shares which are "quasi" debt but the new Memorandum & articles specifically refer to preference shares.

- It was the journalists that suggested the 60m debt figure he never really confirmed that. It was the journalists that brought up "wiped clean". Covcityco didnt buy the SBS&L group it only bought 85% of Otium. However Otium never owed 60m. SBS&L is still owned 100% by SISU as far as i can see - so does the unsecured 28m still exist in SBS&L - probably and is not CCFC's problem. At the moment i dont know how it all adds up with what is being said - which makes me sceptical

- Can anyone really see SISU or ARVO just wiping off the debt ??? So from an accounting point of view i am curious as to how the debits match the credits in what went on. Have the debts been moved or reclassified so that they are not seen as formal arrangements in Otium? It doesnt all fit in my mind yet. We wont know for sometime whats gone on. To be fair to him he doesnt have to give chapter and verse on it because that would cloud the feel good message to the fans

- Sounds to me that he is not bringing a lot of cash in to this other than to clear some working capital debts and perhaps a small amount for transfers. Maybe a softer approach than SISU but how the club is going to be run financially is not greatly different - just sounds better the way he put it. I do not have a problem about CCFC living within means, and accept the limitations of that.

- Good to hear he is willing to create partnerships with stakeholders particularly Fraser Group. I dont think he will be anyones soft touch in negotiations.

- sounded like he has parked the Warwick Uni project for the foreseeable - always thought if it was going to happen it would be the training ground not the stadium

- Not convinced that players will be attracted first and foremost by facilities - its all about the money first isnt it. Lack of Money being the clubs basic problem

- no interest to be paid by the club during his tenure he said - in essence the club never has paid it, yes it was charged but the club could never afford to pay it so the only way it could be be paid is if the owner put the funds in. If ARVO loans are cleared then as it stands there is no formal arrangement to pay interest in any case. So not really a big concession in reality.

- strikes me that funds are still tight and the next couple of financials will be interesting. Are we breaking even or are we making losses even without the interest charge in which case King will have to finance that. Yes club stable but to move forward and maintain it is going to require funding, how will that be found, will debt (even owners debt) have to increase and at what cost

- good that we will try to keep the players we want/need and build - but that still comes back to money and financing operating costs. He is correct about if a player wants to go then its detrimental to the rest of the team to hold on to them. Trouble is that basically advertises that unsettle a player by for example adding 20% to wages as offer and ........

- I dont think there will be any major capital expenditure away from the team for at least 12 months probably longer, and i dont from what he said get the feeling of major (for us) signings for the team, it will still be sourced as it has been for last few years, loans, frees, relatively low cost fee gambles

That all said i didnt hear anything that riled me but equally didnt hear much that excited me. It was pretty much what i would expect a new owner to say. As i said though give the guy some time and judge him on deeds not words. Good luck to him - he will need it

Last edited:

The Philosopher

There was one thing that I did pick up on: 30000 students at Warwick Uni?

Is that 10000 new students per year?

If, by some quirk of fate (Mike Ashley kicks us out for example or hikes rent to daftville) and we do end up with a stadium there. (I know, unlikely, but then again so was playing at Sixfields) there’s a huge potential support base.

Free tickets to reserve matches? Cheap match day tickets to WU students….? Only needs a few to catch that awful bug known as CCFCitis. We’ve all caught it, no?

Who knows.

The Philosopher

Until he brings his brother on board in a Leonard Brody role.
What is going on with the hair thing?

Doug has more hair than anyone, ever, and his brother Will - not so.

Is Doug going to to the Greggy Downs thing and run on the the pitch, pull off the wig…(I remember that as a kid, player ran out of the tunnel, big hair and me thinking, who’s that? Have we signed a new player?) 8A01F40A-ED93-4A50-BDAA-73512CD6DCC7.jpeg

Hobo

PSG have stadium problems. WBA have owner problems, Birmingham City have owner problems (both in the billionaire catergory). Man Utd have owner issues.

Just saying.

Hobo

Said all the right things, played to the audience well, clearly he is excited to be involved. The important things though are what actually happens, words are easy. On that front personally i am comfortable and happy to let him get on with it and to see where we are in 12 months time (that will be when the May 2023 financials are filed and we can see what is what a little clearer).

He really didnt provide very much detail in reality, and was careful with his words - to be expected really. Journalists gave him an easy ride and he allowed them to lead the direction of questions - quite skilled in doing that. The short time frame for each journalist meant the Journalists were time pressured not him

What i took from it

- that Covcityco ltd has not added any new debt (his phrase) Does that mean there is still debt of some sort? Had he wanted to, for instance, he could have done away with the preference shares which are "quasi" debt but the new Memorandum & articles specifically refer to preference shares.

- It was the journalists that suggested the 60m debt figure he never really confirmed that. It was the journalists that brought up "wiped clean". Covcityco didnt buy the SBS&L group it only bought 85% of Otium. However Otium never owed 60m. SBS&L is still owned 100% by SISU as far as i can see - so does the unsecured 28m still exist in SBS&L - probably and is not CCFC's problem. At the moment i dont know how it all adds up with what is being said - which makes me sceptical

- Can anyone really see SISU or ARVO just wiping off the debt ??? So from an accounting point of view i am curious as to how the debits match the credits in what went on. Have the debts been moved or reclassified so that they are not seen as formal arrangements in Otium? It doesnt all fit in mind yet. We wont know for sometime whats gone on. To be fair to him he doesnt have to give chapter and verse on it because that would cloud the feel good message to the fans

- Sounds to me that he is not bringing a lot of cash in to this other than to clear some working capital debts and perhaps a small amount for transfers. Maybe a softer approach than SISU but how the club is going to be run financially is not greatly different - just sounds better the way he put it. I do not have a problem about CCFC living within means, and accept the limitations of that.

- Good to hear he is willing to create partnerships with stakeholders particularly Fraser Group. I dont think he will be anyones soft touch in negotiations.

- sounded like he has parked the Warwick Uni project for the foreseeable - always thought if it was going to happen it would be the training ground not the stadium

- Not convinced that players will be attracted first and foremost by facilities - its all about the money first isnt it.

- no interest to be paid by the club during his tenure he said - in essence the club never has paid it, yes it was charged but the club could never afford to pay it so the only way it could be be paid is if the owner put the funds in. If ARVO loans are cleared then as it stands there is no formal arrangement to pay interest in any case. So not really a big concession in reality.

- strikes me that funds are still tight and the next couple of financials will be interesting. Are we breaking even or are we making losses even without the interest charge in which case King will have to finance that. Yes club stable but to move forward and maintain it is going to require funding, how will that be found, will debt (even owners debt) have to increase and at what cost

- good that we will try to keep the players we want/need and build - but that still comes back to money and financing operating costs. He is correct about if a player wants to go then its detrimental to the rest of the team to hold on to them. Trouble is that basically advertises that unsettle a player by for example adding 20% to wages as offer and ........

- I dont think there will be any major capital expenditure away from the team for at least 12 months probably longer, and i dont from what he said get the feeling of major (for us) signings for the team, it will still be sourced as it has been for last few years, loans, frees, relatively low cost fee gambles

That all said i didnt hear anything that riled me but equally didnt hear much that excited me. It was pretty much what i would expect a new owner to say. As i said though give the guy some time and judge him on deeds not words. Good luck to him - he will need it

Yes a lot of window dressing and characterisation of the situation.

But that is what you get from successful businessmen. At the end of the day it is now his club and his money. Owners always disapoint fans. That would be the same whoever bought the club.

shmmeee

All you can do with owners is judge them on results. We’ve had all kinds of promises from Sisu and others in the past that have just raised expectations only to be let down.

GaryPendrysEyes

Certainly he didn’t set very high expectations either on investment or performance targets. ‘Knocking on the door’ of the playoffs as a target is something we have been close to this year.
ok he wants that to be consistently achieved but it seems a bit of a flat target. Making the playoffs might be more of an inspirational stretch.
But hey that’s just words in the end. As most have said will we see any increased net investment in the squad year on year over what Sisu did?

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

Certainly he didn’t set very high expectations either on investment or performance targets. ‘Knocking on the door’ of the playoffs as a target is something we have been close to this year.
ok he wants that to be consistently achieved but it seems a bit of a flat target. Making the playoffs might be more of an inspirational stretch.
But hey that’s just words in the end. As most have said will we see any increased net investment in the squad year on year over what Sisu did?
I thought he meant knocking on the door of the premier league rather than the play-offs themselves

SkyBlueSoul

I suspect Austin will have done that.
It was only within the last month or so that Robins said Austin is a one man band at the minute and is going into the transfer window with no help. I've seen nothing to suggest they've replaced Stuart Benthom

shy_tall_knight

Its all about the timing to me its why I'm so negative about this. Recognise he's a cautious investor so no plans to spend big but was able to table a £25m bid for the stadium !!! Has bought a club and hopes by keeping a steady ship we may knock on the door of the play-offs, highly unlikely, so can't understand his motivation. Is he just a better negotiator than SISU for the potential sale to Mike Ashley.

Users who are viewing this thread