Doug King Takeover (4 Viewers)

shy_tall_knight

I can’t shake the feeling he’s just some kind of stop gap. Will be amazed if he’s still here in 2 years.
I think Cov fans are so relieved to see the back of SISU (well 85% of SISU has gone). As this transfer window is proving (2 in and 2 out - with the 2 both playing in recent games) with a wafer thin squad he's not got much spare cash (very happy to be proven wrong) and a stadium deal to be negotiated with a canny billionaire businessman - what does he think he can achieve.

NorthernWisdom

I think Cov fans are so relieved to see the back of SISU (well 85% of SISU has gone). As this transfer window is proving (2 in and 2 out - with the 2 both playing in recent games) with a wafer thin squad he's not got much spare cash (very happy to be proven wrong) and a stadium deal to be negotiated with a canny billionaire businessman - what does he think he can achieve.
I suspect however, without this takeover it would have been none in, some out... and very much worse players (from our perspective) to have go out than Kane and Waghorn.

Last edited:

slowpoke

Its all about the timing to me its why I'm so negative about this. Recognise he's a cautious investor so no plans to spend big but was able to table a £25m bid for the stadium !!! Has bought a club and hopes by keeping a steady ship we may knock on the door of the play-offs, highly unlikely, so can't understand his motivation. Is he just a better negotiator than SISU for the potential sale to Mike Ashley.
Any stadium deal wouldn’t have involved £25million cash nothing like it, would have been like a mortgage/business loan but would have valued the club higher for certain, whoever it was who asked where the £25million offered for the stadium was going he’s a prat.

Nick

Administrator
Its all about the timing to me its why I'm so negative about this. Recognise he's a cautious investor so no plans to spend big but was able to table a £25m bid for the stadium !!! Has bought a club and hopes by keeping a steady ship we may knock on the door of the play-offs, highly unlikely, so can't understand his motivation. Is he just a better negotiator than SISU for the potential sale to Mike Ashley.

Surely people understand why £25m on a stadium is completely different to saying to Robins here's £25m go buy who you want?

shy_tall_knight

Surely people understand why £25m on a stadium is completely different to saying to Robins here's £25m go buy who you want?
Yes I recognise that the capital investment in the stadium is totally different to what might be spent on the playing squad but it did try to give the impression that we have funds !! but I interpreted it as an attempt to derail the Ashley stadium purchase, it wasn't a serious offer

Flying Fokker

I doubt that the £25m was cash? More likely £5 million and then loans/ investors. Which may well be how most businesses acquire property.

Reactions: vow

Colin Steins Smile

Then getting through that door.

Basically, he's managing expectation too. Better that than Operation Premiership.
Exactly, both Doug & MR in all their comms are managing expectation levels. MR has continued with the messaging of "incremental improvements". They obviously want us, as the fan base, to not get too excited and expect big changes in the short term.

CCFCSteve

Also the fact that £20-25m ‘offer’ was probably bullshit to try to scupper sale to Ashley. Nobody was paying that for the stadium due to all the dilapidations/repairs needed

nicksar

Doug King comes across as a level headed bloke I reckon, and one of the most important things he mentioned is making improvements to the Ryton training ground to make it better and more attractive to potential (and existing) players.He is spot on with that imo let's be honest that's where the squad spend the vast majority of their time.
He also mentioned several times that he's a "trader", it's clear he wants to get the Club into a position where they are attractive to potential investors,win for him and a win for supporters.

shy_tall_knight

16th Nov 2022 - announced as the new owner
Makes unrealistic bid to buy the stadium.
League takes nearly 2 months to approve the transfer of ownership, not sure any cash has changed hands
No net investment in squad
Has to negotiate with Fraser Group regarding a rental deal for next season and beyond
Plan is to keep it steady !!
Doesn't add up why bother, chances of success are low

MalcSB

League takes nearly 2 months to approve the transfer of ownership, not sure any cash has changed hands
Has to negotiate with Fraser Group regarding a rental deal for next season and beyond
Let’s all just pack in then.

Johnnythespider

I can’t shake the feeling he’s just some kind of stop gap. Will be amazed if he’s still here in 2 years.
This is where I am, he seems like a middle man, I've seen nothing to suggest the club will be funded any differently to the last few years, "meet the new boss".

Reactions: vow

clint van damme

Certainly he didn’t set very high expectations either on investment or performance targets. ‘Knocking on the door’ of the playoffs as a target is something we have been close to this year.
ok he wants that to be consistently achieved but it seems a bit of a flat target. Making the playoffs might be more of an inspirational stretch.
But hey that’s just words in the end. As most have said will we see any increased net investment in the squad year on year over what Sisu did?

To be fair it's a realistic target.
We're never going to spend to compete with the parachute payment mob and though anomalies happen I think realistically we're looking at 5th or 6th place.
I think we could have a real crack at that with 3 or 4 decent additions but sisu clearly didn't want to fund that in the last 2 windows.

Nick

Administrator

The issue here is fans expecting him to come in and throw £25m at the squad because of the offer on the stadium.

shy_tall_knight

The issue here is fans expecting him to come in and throw £25m at the squad because of the offer on the stadium.
I'm not expecting him to spend that but we all know it wasn't a real offer.

In summary there's no additional funds, he's a good negotiator and a strategy of keeping it steady, refurbishing Ryton does not strike me as a well defined plan. Had WASPs not gone bump would ownership have changed, IMO WASP's demise Mike Ashley's involvement forced SISU's hand and hence the arrival of the king. Had he been presented 10 months ago I would have bought into it more, but not convinced.

Esoterica

This is where I am, he seems like a middle man, I've seen nothing to suggest the club will be funded any differently to the last few years, "meet the new boss".
Yes, everything is so vague it does feel that way
The timing of his arrival, his generic 'on the fence' soundbytes, even that he is flying solo on this and not brought in anyone from his other businesses to help him. If Boddy hasn't been sacked off for someone better at the end of the season, once Doug has brought himself up to speed that'll be another clue. It all smacks of keeping things ticking over while something bigger goes on behind the scenes.

fernandopartridge

The timing of his arrival, his generic 'on the fence' soundbytes, even that he is flying solo on this and not brought in anyone from his other businesses to help him. If Boddy hasn't been sacked off for someone better at the end of the season, once Doug has brought himself up to speed that'll be another clue. It all smacks of keeping things ticking over while something bigger goes on behind the scenes.

The rumour that he's a stepping stone to Fraser Group is strengthened by the glowing terms in which he described them

Covkid1968#

There was one thing that I did pick up on: 30000 students at Warwick Uni?

Is that 10000 new students per year?

If, by some quirk of fate (Mike Ashley kicks us out for example or hikes rent to daftville) and we do end up with a stadium there. (I know, unlikely, but then again so was playing at Sixfields) there’s a huge potential support base.

Free tickets to reserve matches? Cheap match day tickets to WU students….? Only needs a few to catch that awful bug known as CCFCitis. We’ve all caught it, no?

Who knows.
CU has 25k plus students… and that’s just in Cov not their London Yorkshire or polish campus’ there must be huge potential for casual walk up.

Users who are viewing this thread