Doug King live on air Monday (3 Viewers)

KenilworthSkyBlue

At current prices that would likely net the club more money so yeah. They could then sell the other boxes individually

I don’t see why people are outraged at the price given it’s League average? The timing and communication of it is bad - but the pricing is in line with the league

I think it's the immediacy of the whole situation that's shocked box holders. It's not that the club aren't within their rights to align themselves with the market rate, although I personally have some disagreements on that but can't be bothered to repeat myself again, it's that there's an attitude among businesses who have been long supporters of the club that they've just been cast aside without much consideration.

As you said the timing is also incredibly poor as there are a number who I know are now struggling with finding suitable alternatives that work with their specific match day arrangements.

As a former box holder I was happy to probably spend double on the previous price but obviously I'm not particularly enthused about the current prices. I think they could've probably packaged it better and risen it incrementally over a couple of seasons to find their ideal price point which would've alleviated much of the fallout while ensuring to not compromise on the club's bottom line. But that's my opinion I appreciate others may not agree.

Regardless it is what it is and I've found alternative seating which I'm happy with.

mmttww

I see the king apologists out in force this morning. he didn’t answer the most important question, how many boxes have been sold so far. the extra revenue would amount to half a mill. Don’t think that will bridge the gap with the ‘bigger clubs’
I think you're a bit out of touch if you think many fans consider that the "most important" issue re: the club.

croatskyblue

I think it's the immediacy of the whole situation that's shocked box holders. It's not that the club aren't within their rights to align themselves with the market rate, although I personally have some disagreements on that but can't be bothered to repeat myself again, it's that there's an attitude among businesses who have been long supporters of the club that they've just been cast aside without much consideration.

As you said the timing is also incredibly poor as there are a number who I know are now struggling with finding suitable alternatives that work with their specific match day arrangements.

As a former box holder I was happy to probably spend double on the previous price but obviously I'm not particularly enthused about current prices. I think they could've probably packaged it better and risen it incrementally over a couple of seasons to find their ideal price point which would've alleviated much of the fallout while ensuring to not compromise on the club's bottom line. But that's my opinion I appreciate others may not agree.

Regardless it is what it is and I've found alternative seating which I'm happy with.

All well put & fair points, however.. the same rules that apply for those in a financial position to pay for boxes also apply to the person selling them- ie get as much for what you’re selling as possible.

I don’t believe for a single second that any business owner wouldn’t have done the same in order to increase revenues, as long as the customer base will take it. And I guess we’ll see on that point soon enough.

KenilworthSkyBlue

All well put & fair points, however.. the same rules that apply for those in a financial position to pay for boxes also apply to the person selling them- ie get as much for what you’re selling as possible.

I don’t believe for a single second that any business owner wouldn’t have done the same in order to increase revenues, as long as the customer base will take it. And I guess we’ll see on that point soon enough.

Well exactly, will the customer base comply? I know for a fact at least 30 of the total box holders aren't renewing. There's undoubtedly more as those are just the one's I've directly heard about.

Equally, having worked within the region and gaining an understanding the local business landscape over the years I suspect the club will struggle getting a stream of new box holders in. I just don't think there's the spending power locally and the businesses that are able just aren't/won't be particularly bothered about aligning themselves with the club in a commercial capacity.

For those that are vaguely interested it will probably take at least a year for the club to nurture those kind of new relationships anyway.

Granted DK will only need to sell less than half to best last season's income and the majority of the rest can be sold on a match-by-match basis which may work but they'll only sell if the performances on the pitch warrant it. Better to have box holders tied in for a season than rely on sporadic sales every home game. Hence why I think my approach was more sensible.

Last edited:

Hobo

Because he won’t put money of his own in
Neither would Mike Ashley.

Well lots of our fans put their own money in last season by buying a kiddies season ticket for about £20.

Most sensible businessmen don't just plough their own money into a business until the basic structure and foundations are in place. Why prop something up with your own money if you genuinely think the product is being under valued and under sold.

Reactions: TTG

Grendel

Neither would Mike Ashley.

Well lots of our fans put their own money in last season by buying a kiddies season ticket for about £20.

Most sensible business don't just plough their own money into a business until the basic structure and foundations are in place. Why prop something up with your own money if you genuinely think the product is being under valued and under sold.

Well you get a £200 million reward if you get it right

Hobo

Well you get a £200 million reward if you get it right

Really?

Excluding loans and free transfers, it is estimated Nottingham Forest spent £205m on 18 new players.

The money from promotion soon gets swallowed up in transfer fees, wages and agents fees. I don't think it is the Golden Goose some people think it is?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Really?

Excluding loans and free transfers, it is estimated Nottingham Forest spent £205m on 18 new players.

The money from promotion soon gets swallowed up in transfer fees, wages and agents fees. I don't think it is the Golden Goose some people think it is?

It entirely depends on the individual strategy of the club surely?

Bournemouth for instance didn't spend anywhere near that, their transfer spend in fact was very modest.

Forest's owner is incredibly wealthy and very ambitious so they were always going to throw the kitchen sink at it.

oldfiver

And with it got a level of access and influence that he no doubt enjoyed.

it was not an anonymous donation. That’s fair enough but let’s not pretend it was a selfless act either.

The last thing Richard Overson needs is any access or influence he might get from CCFC

King has stated that Overson the club should have got more out of him and his donations etc were not enough

We are not only talking about the ST Fund either but the Academy, Ryton and repairing the pitch etc

Further he does not spout off or use PR ranters to make a fuss about it

Absolute nonsense!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

That's good coming from you.

Owl Omg GIF

Happy_Martian

As this thread seems to want to spin ever onwards and downwards, here's a genuine question for the forumites.

Of those who are unhappy with the decision regarding the increased pricing of Corporate and Hospitality generally...,

How many are actually personally affected by it ?
How many are unhappy as it means their ticket prices have increased ?
And how many are offended just because they have the right to be offended ?

As previously mentioned, I have no dog in this fight as I don't attend games. But I'm in favour of any effort to improve the club, its finances and the playing squad. If DK and his team have identified this as a prospective avenue to look at and have the figures to back their decision up, why would we as fans be against it ? If we've been charging well under the league average per box, it only makes sense to balance that up for a minority of fans (and those whose guests have no interest in Coventry or football) rather than something that could impact on the whole stadia (F&B price hikes, general ticket price increases etc).

As per GIMOC's comment regarding only selling half the boxes before the season, I'd be very happy to see 1/2 or more have committed occupiers, half of those remaining to be available on a game by game basis (maybe at a reduced cost and level of service) and the remaining boxes be donated for local charity usage to support Dave Busst's SBitC efforts (in addition to those already in the Family Zone). Club continues to have guaranteed income, a facility to award or provide for additional viewing and the option of ensuring we remain a club of the community and not just one for those who can pay for the privilege.

Just my opinions written on an out of date postage stamp (worthless).

oldfiver

But why don't you trust him? Why are you choosing to take a glass half empty, negative outlook. If you can't be optimistic after getting to the playoff final, having a new owner, no wasps etc them when will you be able to?

He's actually got a plan and an ambition. Something we haven't had for years. We have an owner outwardly saying he doesn't want us to stand still ad a club and try and achieve promotion. Yet somehow there's still negativity. Would we rather just the same old from before?

Whats his plan when the 5 year licence expires?

Hobo

It entirely depends on the individual strategy of the club surely?

Bournemouth for instance didn't spend anywhere near that, their transfer spend in fact was very modest.

Forest's owner is incredibly wealthy and very ambitious so they were always going to throw the kitchen sink at it.

Bournemouth spent about 90m on transfers then add on the wages?

aviles

Love Dougs approach, so refreshing to have an owner that seems to care.

Saw on facebook all the moaners out in their numbers complaining that boxes have gone from £9k per season to £25k.... and that because of this only 4/40 boxes sold.

Lets put it into numbers

£9000 x 40 = £360,000

£25,000 x the 4 that we have sold- £100,000

so we are over 1/4 of the way to hitting last years sales figures with 36 boxes to spare!!

We have been under paying on tickets for years and we all know it! as a few have said i will judge doug after this window. but so far so good. he must have quadrupled our budget from the price increases alone! excited to see how we look come august.

Last edited:

oldfiver

Love Dougs approach, so refreshing to have an owner that seems to care.

Saw on facebook all the moaners out in their numbers complaining that boxes have gone from £9k per season to £25k.... and that because of this only 4/40 boxes sold.

Lets put it into numbers

£9000 x 40 = £360,000

£25,000 x 40 - £100,000

so we are over 1/4 of the way to hitting last years sales figures with 36 boxes to spare!!

We have been under paying on tickets for years and we all know it! as a few have said i will judge doug after this window. but so far so good. he must have quadrupled our budget from the price increases alone! excited to see how we look come august.

Interesting maths!

djr8369

Could be wrong but I suspect it's in regards to the box situation. I know a significant chunk of box holders have banded together with a view to openly complain about the price hike so perhaps something related to that.
I’ve heard the same, trying to force a price cut

djr8369

Convinced that GIMOC is Dawkins in disguise. Some actual insight, vague transfer rumours, Constantly ranting about Executive boxes despite "not sitting in one myself", only turned on King since box prices were increased. Dawkins tweeted about Hamer contract offer, GIMOC posts about Hamer contract offer.
Became pretty transparent in the corporate box thread.

Users who are viewing this thread