Cov RFC do NOT want a merger with Wasps (1 Viewer)

MichaelCCFC

An announcement was made pre kick off at the Butts yesterday.

Cov RFC have no problem with Wasps playing occasional games at the Ricoh but that's it. "There's only one rugby club in Coventry" got rousing applause.

I didn't hear it myself but someone at the game told me Richard Moon said on CWR that Wasps moving to the Ricoh would be terrible for Cov RFC.

Otis

An announcement was made pre kick off at the Butts yesterday.

Cov RFC have no problem with Wasps playing occasional games at the Ricoh but that's it. "There's only one rugby club in Coventry" got rousing applause.

I didn't hear it myself but someone at the game told me Richard Moon said on CWR that Wasps moving to the Ricoh would be terrible for Cov RFC.

Fine, but that is just Richard Moon. Would like to hear a more proportional response to be honest.

If Cov rugby club and Cov fans are opposed to the move then I feel we should all oppose it, even if the Wasps deal is to the benefit of Coventry City FC.

Oh, and your thread title is rather misleading there, Michael. Has their been any Cov rugby statement to this 'fact' that Cov don't want the merger?

NorthernWisdom

Fine, but that is just Richard Moon. Would like to hear a more proportional response to be honest.

If Cov rugby club and Cov fans are opposed to the move then I feel we should all oppose it, even if the Wasps deal is to the benefit of Coventry City FC.

We should oppose it regardless on the principle of sporting clubs moving from place to place...

MichaelCCFC

Oh, and your thread title is rather misleading there, Michael. Has their been any Cov rugby statement to this 'fact' that Cov don't want the merger?

The pre match statement was totally clear.

Otis

We should oppose it regardless on the principle of sporting clubs moving from place to place...

Well, I don't quite feel the same, NW, unfortunately.

If it is to the benefit of all involved then I wouldn't oppose it, even if I didn't agree with it.

skybluetony176

Correct. That and also that if anyone else is going to own the Ricoh (lease or freehold) it should be CCFC, after all that was the purpose of building it in the first place.

Just because SISU only seem to be able to go the wrong way about accomplishing that doesn't mean we shouldn't be protecting or at least try to protect the Ricoh until either SISU buck their ideas up or sell to someone sensible enough to do the job.

Otis

You accept the principle of Wasps moving to Coventry, you accept a precedent for CCFC moving to Dublin.

Sorry don't agree with that at all. Both you and I know that CCFC fans would never accept such a move.

My entire stance is based on ALL parties being onboard with it and that means clubs and fans of all the clubs invloved. If all sides in this and the vast majority of fans from all the clubs invloved in this are happy with the move, then I wouldn't oppose it.

We all know there is no way on this earth that Coventry City fans would even get 5% of supporters being onboard with such a move as going to Dublin.

NorthernWisdom

Sorry don't agree with that at all. Both you and I know that CCFC fans would never accept such a move.

My entire stance is based on ALL parties being onboard with it and that means clubs and fans of all the clubs invloved. If all sides in this and the vast majority of fans from all the clubs invloved in this are happy with the move, then I wouldn't oppose it.

We all know there is no way on this earth that Coventry City fans would even get 5% of supporters being onboard with such a move as going to Dublin.

Ah, but CCFC moving to Dublin would be good for the poeople of Dublin, therefore we should support it.

Otis

Ah, but CCFC moving to Dublin would be good for the poeople of Dublin, therefore we should support it.

Ahh, but CCFC fans say moving to Dublin wouldn't be good for the people of Coventry, therefore we shouldn't support it.

Your point is? :thinking about:

If Wasps fans are against the move then I will oppose it.

NorthernWisdom

My point is that sport is about earning a place at a higher level, not buying it.

My point is that I oppose it and if you want to support things that only have support, then therefore you will be opposing it now.

My point is it's utterly pointless to decide if it's best for Coventry or not, as sport is not about parachuting teams into random places.

Also there are more people in Dublin than Coventry, therefore the majority would support us moving there, therefore we should support us going there...

Plus it's not just a simple vote on what's good for Coventry, or Wasps. It's about what's good for sport as a whole.

A simple vote had SISU with an overwhelming majority in favour of them after all...

Otis

So this one doesn't run and run and run ....

If Wasps fans oppose the move to the Ricoh, then we should oppose the move to the Ricoh.

If Cov rugby fans oppose the move to the Ricoh, then we should oppose the move to the Ricoh.

If Sky Blues fans oppose the move to the Ricoh, then we should oppose the move to the Ricoh.

If Wasps fans approve of the move, but Cov rugby don't, then we should oppose the move to the Ricoh.

If Wasps fans approve and Cov rugby fans approve and Sky Blues fans don't, then we should oppose the move to the Ricoh.

If Wasps fans, Cov fans and City fans all approve the move and all the clubs involved approve the move, then I don't think we should we oppose it. (doesn't mean we neccessarily have to agree with it, just not oppose it).

Seems NW and myself are talking about different things. Wouldn't matter what the people of Dublin wanted if the majority of people in Coventry were against it. It would be irrelevant

Last edited:

rupert_bear

That is not the feeling I got when Cov Rugby boss Peter Rosborough was interviewed by CWR last week , seemed rather bullish to me. There have been a few amalgamations in the rugby world in the last few years, famous old clubs such as Neath and Swansea now play under the Ospreys umbrella. Some famous names have disappeared all together, others such as Coventry RFC have struggled to stay afloat, not sure about the financial clout Cov rugby club have nowadays but in recent years it ain't been very good. Wasps/Cov could play top league rugger at the Ricoh and use the Butts Park Arena for the Extras and youth development, loads of potential in a merger.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Neath and Swansea still exist.

A higher tier was put above them, regionalising the Welsh setup. It'd be like Leicester, Coventry, Northampton still exisiting but a regional team competing in Europe as Midlands Munters, or something.

London Welsh are also in the top Rugby division!

(albeit playing their 'home' games in Oxford:thinking about:)

Otis

Neath and Swansea still exist.

A higher tier was put above them, regionalising the Welsh setup. It'd be like Leicester, Coventry, Northampton still exisiting but a regional team competing in Europe as Midlands Munters, or something.

London Welsh are also in the top Rugby division!

(albeit playing their 'home' games in Oxford:thinking about:)

Must confess, I'm not a fan of mergers for sure.

Not unless it is Karen Gillan and Scarlett Johansson.

mattylad

i can tell you with certainty that Cov Rugby, Leicester tigers, Northampton Saints and Worcester Warriors have all voiced concerns to the English RFU. Cov Rugby have also spoken directly to Wasps to voice the same and that Cov dont need a development deal with Wasps they have one in place with Bath. SISU should immediately agree to match any offer on the table.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Did Northampton fans get the protests going when it was apparent we were going moved to their place against our wishes?

mattylad

Did Northampton fans get the protests going when it was apparent we were going moved to their place against our wishes?
dont understamd the point really. Were Northampton Saints affected by our move to the Cobblers = No. Are they if Wasps move here = Yes.

Otis

I've met Northampton fans at protests...

Which is another reason it should never have happened. If City fans were totally against it and Northampton fans didn't want it either, it should have never, ever of happened.

Still think it's a total disgrace to this very day.

diggerdaley

Wasps seem to have done the sums,that it makes economic sense to buy into an existing stadium ,than build a new one somewhere,who does the sums for sisu ?

Nick

Administrator
SISU should immediately agree to match any offer on the table.

How can it be said match any offer when nobody knows the offer? It sounds like when you used to be able to sell stuff on eBay and get your mate to bid it up.

I think the market value should be paid, get 3 proper independent valuations, take an average and offer that. If it is more than they expect then tough, if it is less then bonus.

stupot07

This idea is as ridiculous as the nuneaton town getting promoted moving to the Ricoh and slowly becoming Coventry Nuns.

"Coventry Rugby Club founded in 1874."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

When did it change from Wasps playing at the Ricoh to Wasps and Cov merging? The report on CWR said it was announced that Cov would be fully consulted. To me that's the correct stance at this point. You can't expect ACL or CCC to dismiss any offer out of hand, especially if they haven't even seen the offer yet, and it is absolutely correct that if things start to move forward Cov are fully consulted.

The announcement adds more fuel to the fire that something is happening behind the scenes. Why would Cov have been told that if nothing was happening.

I think the market value should be paid, get 3 proper independent valuations, take an average and offer that. If it is more than they expect then tough, if it is less then bonus.

Putting in any offer at all would be a good first move. Instead of having Fisher keep banging on about it not being for sale SISU could get their own valuation done and make a conditional offer (conditional based on any assumptions they have had to make due to lack of open book access). Then if CCC / ACL dismiss it out of hand SISU might see an increase in support. It drives me mad that for everything they've said about ground ownership they still haven't made any offer to buy the freehold or lease.

Nick

Administrator
I agree, I am not sure how they would go about getting actual valuations (ie would ACL need to agree to it for certain parts) but has one of those at least been done?

chiefdave

I agree, I am not sure how they would go about getting actual valuations (ie would ACL need to agree to it for certain parts) but has one of those at least been done?

That's the conditional part, you make an offer based on what you know and then, if that offer is accepted, there is a due diligence process. If anything is uncovered that affects the valuation you revise it. Not an uncommon process in business takeovers.

I would have a lot more time for Fishers "they won't sell it to us" statements if they had actually put an offer in and had it refused. Of course at that point the debate about what a fair offer is would come in to play.

dongonzalos

This idea is as ridiculous as the nuneaton town getting promoted moving to the Ricoh and slowly becoming Coventry Nuns.

"Coventry Rugby Club founded in 1874."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I take it you forget that we were one relegation and they were one promotion from competing in the same league as us.

You are correct in one sense it should definitely sound ridiculous unfortunately at one point it became remotely plausible.

torchomatic

Users who are viewing this thread