Cov RFC do NOT want a merger with Wasps (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

I heard something to that affect on CWR on THursday maybe. It was stated that Wasps could look to swallowing up CRC.

When did it change from Wasps playing at the Ricoh to Wasps and Cov merging? The report on CWR said it was announced that Cov would be fully consulted. To me that's the correct stance at this point. You can't expect ACL or CCC to dismiss any offer out of hand, especially if they haven't even seen the offer yet, and it is absolutely correct that if things start to move forward Cov are fully consulted.

The announcement adds more fuel to the fire that something is happening behind the scenes. Why would Cov have been told that if nothing was happening.

Putting in any offer at all would be a good first move. Instead of having Fisher keep banging on about it not being for sale SISU could get their own valuation done and make a conditional offer (conditional based on any assumptions they have had to make due to lack of open book access). Then if CCC / ACL dismiss it out of hand SISU might see an increase in support. It drives me mad that for everything they've said about ground ownership they still haven't made any offer to buy the freehold or lease.

torchomatic

NorthernWisdom

More on the comments here:

A council sanctioned takeover of the Ricoh Arena would be a "betrayal" according to the chairman of Coventry Rugby Club: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-ricoh-arena-interest-concern-7805937

Pretty clear ;) Still don't see why they're even OK with certain games being played. Surely all that means is that in a couple of years time they can play a few more and move permanently, as they already play in the city?

Plus London is not short of grounds!

I'd have also been more reassured if I was Cov Rugby if the assurances hadn't tacked on 'or prior consultation' at the end, too ;)

torchomatic

Pretty clear statement that, eh Otis?

duffer

If you read their unofficial forum on this, it's pretty clear that the majority of Wasps fans oppose the idea. There are statements like 'I couldn't support anyone else, but I won't go to Coventry to watch them' and 'I've had a season ticket for years but won't go if they move' etc. Sound familiar?

It also seems fairly clear that Cov RFC aren't keen on the idea and as a fan of them, I'm dead against it too. (I've been to more rugby than football in the last year, fwiw.)

This isn't an idea that any fan who has gone through the travesty of having their club forceably relocated should support.

Regardless of whether its a good deal for ACL/CCC/Higgs (or even if in some unforeseen way for CCFC/SISU), it's morally wrong. Remember how we felt last year.

I'm honestly surprised that anyone here would support it, if indeed anyone does.

NorthernWisdom

If you read their unofficial forum on this, it's pretty clear that the majority of Wasps fans oppose the idea. There are statements like 'I couldn't support anyone else, but I won't go to Coventry to watch them' and 'I've had a season ticket for years but won't go if they move' etc. Sound familiar?

Just playing devil's advocate btw, but them rocking up in Wycombe is not exactly their original locale either, so the 'season ticket for years' surprises me a little. Where do the fans see as 'home'?

will am i

I agree, I am not sure how they would go about getting actual valuations (ie would ACL need to agree to it for certain parts) but has one of those at least been done?
It has nothing to do with valuations there would just need to be negotiated agreement. Tim Fisher continues to say the club doesnt want the Ricoh we are building a new stadium. If that has changed he better hurry up and say so and start talking to the stadium owners. That is pretty much all there is to say on this. Personally even if CCFC dont want the stadium I wouldnt want WASPS moving in unless the fans of WASPS and COV agreed to it.

stupot07

I take it you forget that we were one relegation and they were one promotion from competing in the same league as us.

You are correct in one sense it should definitely sound ridiculous unfortunately at one point it became remotely plausible.

Only in your head Don.

And likewise london wasps and Cov RFC are one relegation and one promotion from competing in the same league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

rupert_bear

It's only the likes of us that hearing about the possibility of Wasps using the Ricoh have put 2+2 together about a Cov/Wasps merger and perhaps come up with 5. Wasps are big enough and have enough oncome to carry on independently. They have already cut their roots and moved away from London to High Wycombe so moving again another 60 mile or so up the M40 perhaps doesn't faze them that much. Have to wait and see what happens but to me there is no smoke without fire.

Astute

You accept the principle of Wasps moving to Coventry, you accept a precedent for CCFC moving to Dublin.

Wasps are homeless. They are moving from place to place. It wouldn't be like us last season where Fisher made out we were homeless.

I don't eant them to become the owners of the arena. Could handle both clubs sharing though. After all wasps are homeless and need a home. And we could become homeless again in less than two years.

Otis

Pretty clear statement that, eh Otis?

Added Sharp: “We have received assurances from the City Council that nothing will be done without gaining our full approval or prior consultation.

Am very, very happy with that for sure. Never wish to see anything happen against people's wishes.

Otis

It has nothing to do with valuations there would just need to be negotiated agreement. Tim Fisher continues to say the club doesnt want the Ricoh we are building a new stadium. If that has changed he better hurry up and say so and start talking to the stadium owners. That is pretty much all there is to say on this. Personally even if CCFC dont want the stadium I wouldnt want WASPS moving in unless the fans of WASPS and COV agreed to it.

Ex bloody actly!

NorthernWisdom

Wasps are homeless. They are moving from place to place. It wouldn't be like us last season where Fisher made out we were homeless.

I don't eant them to become the owners of the arena. Could handle both clubs sharing though. After all wasps are homeless and need a home. And we could become homeless again in less than two years.

Wasps have had a home in Wycombe for a dozen years, and it's their choice to go...

But no you're right, it's nothing like us.

They intend to move permanently out of our locale (unlike us) and, by doing so, condone other clubs in the future doing so.

NorthernWisdom

Added Sharp: “We have received assurances from the City Council that nothing will be done without gaining our full approval or prior consultation.

Am very, very happy with that for sure. Never wish to see anything happen against people's wishes.

You've clearly never taken part in a council's 'consultation'. The word's only ever used when a council wants to do whatever it's previously decided to.

Grendel

It also seems fairly clear that Cov RFC aren't keen on the idea and as a fan of them, I'm dead against it too. (I've been to more rugby than football in the last year, fwiw.)

This isn't an idea that any fan who has gone through the travesty of having their club forceably relocated should support.

Regardless of whether its a good deal for ACL/CCC/Higgs (or even if in some unforeseen way for CCFC/SISU), it's morally wrong. Remember how we felt last year.

I'm honestly surprised that anyone here would support it, if indeed anyone does.

I have to say I am 100% in agreement with you on this and couldn't have put it better myself.

I am staggered by some of the comments regarding this given that we have first hand experience of the effect on fans of moving. For once i am almost speechless.

Grendel

Don't encourage them!

I really am. Its outrageous. We sent petitions here there and everywhere asking for sympathy yet couldn't give a damn when it may now be beneficial to our club. Its an outrage and beyond belief.

Otis

You've clearly never taken part in a council's 'consultation'. The word's only ever used when a council wants to do whatever it's previously decided to.

No, I haven't, but I have most certainly heard of 'nothing will be done without our full approval.'

That's more than good enough surely.

Otis

I really am. Its outrageous. We sent petitions here there and everywhere asking for sympathy yet couldn't give a damn when it may now be beneficial to our club. Its an outrage and beyond belief.

I think you are a decent poster, Grendel and I feel that you often counter balance arguments to good effect, but to suggest that people don't give a damn about this proposal is simply disengenuous.

Last edited:

Grendel

I think you are a decent post, Grendel and I feel that you often counter balance arguments to good effect, but to suggest that people don't give a damn about this proposal is simply disengenuous.

I would read Astute's post carefully. Not once has he mentioned the feelings of their supporters.

Other have said its only 60 miles away, others have suggested cov rugby club would benefit from it

Sorry this is the thin end of the wedge. I cannot see how anyone on here could

1, possibly believe a current wasp fan wants it
2. See any benefit to the local struggling team
3. Countenance the concept for - second

Its ludricous.

NorthernWisdom

Maybe it's the way you are reading it. Or maybe the way I am reading it.

To me I read that as 'both.' Without full approval or consultation, meaning both.

In which case you don't use the word 'or'.

There are many council leisure activities that suffer at the hands of 'consultation', despite the public being against what happens. It's lip service before completing a done deal, and about as reassuring as being told the man eating tiger's harmless really, while it pins you to the ground and lovingly wraps its teeth around your throat.

That being said...

Councils are (amazingly enough) not above playing politics. After previously saying 'no sale' and 'no sale to SISU' then there are ways of softening up attitudes to 'sale to SISU'.

Of course the other reason it won't happen and why we're worrying for no reason is that ACL's 50% owned by a charity committed to doing good for Coventry causes. As this would harm Coventry institutions, it won't happen.

chiefdave

am staggered by some of the comments regarding this given that we have first hand experience of the effect on fans of moving. For once i am almost speechless.

I am perfectly happy to support any action taken by Wasps fans presuming they are against it (I assume they are but you never know), same with Cov rugby. It needs someone at their in both those camps to start something up and you would think the sooner the better. I'm sure the majority of our fans would support any action but it shouldn't really be left to us to organise everything, we're still got our own battles to fight.

Do Wasps have a supporters trust or something similar? Maybe our trust could contact them and get the official line on Wasps fans view. Same with Cov rugby, if they are against it make a clear statement and remove the ambiguity argument. If those directly involved come out with clear statements are fans have little to hide behind if they aren't prepared to support them.

wingy

It Is just another move on the chequerboard we don't know fully what either party may be privilege to.

Otis

In which case you don't use the word 'or'.

There are many council leisure activities that suffer at the hands of 'consultation', despite the public being against what happens. It's lip service before completing a done deal, and about as reassuring as being told the man eating tiger's harmless really, while it pins you to the ground and lovingly wraps its teeth around your throat.

That being said...

Councils are (amazingly enough) not above playing politics. After previously saying 'no sale' and 'no sale to SISU' then there are ways of softening up attitudes to 'sale to SISU'.

Of course the other reason it won't happen and why we're worrying for no reason is that ACL's 50% owned by a charity committed to doing good for Coventry causes. As this would harm Coventry institutions, it won't happen.

Well that's the way I talk.

I don't see any problem with the 'or' myself.

Such as 'we need to change your grandad's hospital appointment. I won't do it without his full approval or letting the hospital know first.'

J

Jack Griffin

Where do Wasps fans live, isn't it mainly Middlesex?

I can't see Wasps wanting to move here for all their games, it is a London club by heritage & the support level for Rugby in Coventry has never been close to CCFC even in its hey day when David Duckham was playing.

Now having a 5-10 year contract for 3 or 4 big matches per season, I can see that.

Otis

Where do Wasps fans live, isn't it mainly Middlesex?

I can't see Wasps wanting to move here for all their games, it is a London club by heritage & the support level for Rugby in Coventry has never been close to CCFC even in its hey day when David Duckham was playing.

Now having a 5-10 year contract for 3 or 4 big matches per season, I can see that.

And Cov rugby have come out and said they wouldn't mind a few games played here in Coventry either.

Users who are viewing this thread