Cambridge United (Away) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

H

Huckerby

So if City had won all 4 games so far 5-0 the confidence & momentum feeling within the squad would be exactly the same as it probably is at the minute?
Where did you read that?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

A general question for those that seem to be under the opinion that pre season has no bearing on anything other than getting fitness up and trying to gel new players into the squad.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Does anyone actually think players lose confidence from friendlies?

I certainly don't think it helps anything.

I'm sure players will still have 'words' with each other & be less up beat after a defeat no matter the standard/level of the match.

I don't see how losing in any form has an equal benefit to winning.

kg82

A general question for those that seem to be under the opinion that pre season has no bearing on anything other than getting fitness up and trying to gel new players into the squad.

But that's exactly what it's for. Players know the difference between a competitive game and a match where they are trying to implement new tactics/formations/players etc. To add to that, I'd much rather pre-season went badly in terms of mistakes in matches as those mistakes can then be identified and worked on.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

But that's exactly what it's for. Players know the difference between a competitive game and a match where they are trying to implement new tactics/formations/players etc. To add to that, I'd much rather pre-season went badly in terms of mistakes in matches as those mistakes can then be identified and worked on.

Agree, Let hope by the Wigan game they are 100% settled & organised & win a game that counts.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I certainly don't think it helps anything.

I'm sure players will still have 'words' with each other & be less up beat after a defeat no matter the standard/level of the match.

I don't see how losing in any form has an equal benefit to winning.

I remember Thorn in the 12/13 season winning his first two friendlies 8-0 and 5-0, start of the season Thorn was sacked after 3 games and we didn't win a match till our 9th attempt. It serves no purpose other than getting match fitness and sharpness.

SlowerThanPlatt

I remember Thorn in the 12/13 season winning his first two friendlies 8-0 and 5-0, start of the season Thorn was sacked after 3 games and we didn't win a match till our 9th attempt. It serves no purpose other than getting match fitness and sharpness.

So we wouldn't be in a better position if we had won all 5?

kg82

Aye, that's the pre-season I was on about earlier in the thread. I noticed Kieran Crowley put it on Twitter earlier too.

Bugsy

Not really considering if we had won Any games he would think that the team is fine as it stands. Not getting the result means that there's work in progress and to address that once the season starts. Pusb

LJC_CCFC

So we wouldn't be in a better position if we had won all 5?

No, United had a pretty positive pre-season last year beating Real convincingly in a friendly but still went on to start the season awfully. Just look at the pace and tempo of friendlies at all levels, they're a completely different animal to competitive matches. Start to worry when we lose the first five league games.

Last edited:

rob9872

Performance levels are more important, but I'd still prefer us to be winning as it can become a nice habit and build confidence (sometimes misguided), but I'd prefer to win.

Ultimately those who say it has no bearing are correct, but similarly those who say no point in practicing penalties because you can't create the environment of a matchday advocate the same reasoning and I don't wholly agree with that either.

Make winning, like penalty taking, to be routine and predictable with standards achieved to be the level on which to compare and expect. It doesn't always follow in either school of thinking, but I certainly don't think winning is in any way detrimental.

Users who are viewing this thread