America (1 Viewer)

robbiekeane

The food in general is very poor quality. After a week I’m glad to leave.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. I'd say that there is a lot more shit food than there is in the UK. But that's due to very little regulation, income inequliaty, and some other historical factors (fun fact - did you know that they add something called butyric acid to their chocolate to give it that sour off note that makes it taste like baby sick? Back in the day the milk had to travel so far that it would slightly sour as didn't have refrigerated trucks. That's the taste profile they've grown up on, so now butyric acid is added in the process).

Southern california has incredible food, especially mexican food. Trader Joes & Whole Foods are probably the best supermarkets ive ever been to

OffenhamSkyBlue

We really enjoyed our time driving from DC to Key West this year. Went through some amazing places and talked to loads of interesting locals. Some of the food was sensational, like the BBQ places in South Carolina and the seafood in the Keys. But you've gotta like your meat! And shopping in Walmart, etc it is really hard to find healthy fresh stuff. We wanted a bowl of salad (to go with our meat!!) and ALL of them had either chicken or bacon in. And the aisles of processed sugar- and salt-laden processed CRAP were something to behold!
Can't wait to go back!!

CCFCSteve

Lousiana is fire, the food there was amazing. Po boys, paella and many other things, probably the best place I've ever ate tbh.

Love New Orleans (away from bourbon st - bit old for that now !). Support saints…as painful as supporting city this season

Fysnkysc

Love New Orleans (away from bourbon st - bit old for that now !). Support saints…as painful as supporting city this season
Yea haha I was a tourist so the French quaternary is where I was everyday apart from my swamp tour, bloody expensive aswell I think hotel was 3k for 10 days. It was a once in a lifetime holiday though its done and won't go back again unless I have to.

duffer

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I'd say that there is a lot more shit food than there is in the UK. But that's due to very little regulation, income inequliaty, and some other historical factors (fun fact - did you know that they add something called butyric acid to their chocolate to give it that sour off note that makes it taste like baby sick? Back in the day the milk had to travel so far that it would slightly sour as didn't have refrigerated trucks. That's the taste profile they've grown up on, so now butyric acid is added in the process).

Southern california has incredible food, especially mexican food. Trader Joes & Whole Foods are probably the best supermarkets ive ever been to

Interesting, but I think I'll add the baby sick chocolate thing to that list of stuff I wish I didn't know. 😄

SBT

Really? It is possible to get great food here, but not easy in the US in my experience.
I think there’s definitely issues with accessing healthy food in the US, but in terms of quality, variety and cost of things like fresh produce, meats and alcohol, there just isn’t a comparison to be made. If you’re looking in Walmart for a healthy salad then you’re looking in the wrong place.

CCFCSteve

I think there’s definitely issues with accessing healthy food in the US, but in terms of quality, variety and cost of things like fresh produce, meats and alcohol, there just isn’t a comparison to be made. If you’re looking in Walmart for a healthy salad then you’re looking in the wrong place.

Our supermarkets are cheaper though and as has been suggested don’t expect to eat healthily in US !

SBT

Our supermarkets are cheaper though and as has been suggested don’t expect to eat healthily in US !
Depends where you go and what you’re buying. Supermarkets in the major US cities are punishingly expensive. But your average suburban supermarket will be bigger, better stocked and most likely cheaper for many items than any supermarket over here. The amount of domestic produce means they can do things the UK never could. You couldn’t even buy peppers in British supermarkets a few months ago!

shmmeee

In general though I’ve found the food poor TBH. Was very disappointed by New York. The choice was a big benefit. Like London I could easily eat a restricted diet, but the normal stuff like tastes off and leaves me feeling awful.

Sick Boy

I’m comparing it to Italian food to be fair.

Sick Boy

In general though I’ve found the food poor TBH. Was very disappointed by New York. The choice was a big benefit. Like London I could easily eat a restricted diet, but the normal stuff like tastes off and leaves me feeling awful.
Same here, I started to feel terrible. What’s with trying to add fries to everything as well.

Fysnkysc

I didn't go there to eat healthy 🤣, not like I eat healthy anyway but still I had 0 intention of getting a salad. Think closest I got was tomatoes and lettuce on my shrimp poboy

duffer

Same here, I started to feel terrible. What’s with trying to add fries to everything as well.

Slightly wry smile here, I know that's not what you or Shmmeee are saying, but this does somewhat remind of Brits abroad complaining about having to eat 'foreign muck'.

Personally I never had an issue until I tried a Chinese takeaway in San Francisco. It was much more authentically Chinese than what the Wing Wah serves, let's put it that way.

I couldn't entirely recognise the ingredients, and I'm not sure than some of them weren't still twitching! It's a cultural difference, of course, but I did find myself missing the special curry and chips. 😁

ajsccfc

I understand Denny's is a load of shit but I remember arriving and it was the only place open, the malt shake was huge and it even included a mostly-full metal beaker they mix it in. Basically a two for one, absolute magic but the resulting heart attack cost me so many dollars

SBT

This was ten years ago, but all over manhattan.
I can’t think of many cities where the street food is the main attraction - I never did have a dirty water hot dog - but NYC has a bodega on almost every corner that will make you a giant and delicious sandwich from scratch, 24/7. Then you have the halal carts, the dollar slice pizza joints, empanada ladies on the subway….that’s before you even get off Manhattan and into the outer boroughs where there’s every international cuisine you can imagine. It’s an amazing food city, I have the weight gain to prove it.

CCFCSteve

I definitely fancy watching the Diners, Drive Ins and Dives back catalogue and plotting a coast to coast route around visiting some of the best ones.

Yeah, for me it’s those type of places and Man v Food that are the fun to visit in the states. A lot are far better than the mid/lower range stuff we get here

duffer

I genuinely got food poisoning from one.
That is unfortunate. In retrospect, I can't think of why keeping a sausage of dubious provenance in lukewarm water for three days would cause any problems at all.

I survived, in fairness, but my shirt didn't.

SkyBlueSoul

I don't know why but visiting America has just never been on my radar, either for a holiday or an extended trip. I'd love to go to a big sporting event there but other than that I'd sooner spend my money going back to Australia I reckon.

duffer

I don't know why but visiting America has just never been on my radar, either for a holiday or an extended trip. I'd love to go to a big sporting event there but other than that I'd sooner spend my money going back to Australia I reckon.

Each to their own mate, but the giant spiders, brown snakes, and drop bears, have always put me off Oz slightly.

Even their magpies are homicidal lunatics, or so I hear...

shmmeee

I can’t think of many cities where the street food is the main attraction - I never did have a dirty water hot dog - but NYC has a bodega on almost every corner that will make you a giant and delicious sandwich from scratch, 24/7. Then you have the halal carts, the dollar slice pizza joints, empanada ladies on the subway….that’s before you even get off Manhattan and into the outer boroughs where there’s every international cuisine you can imagine. It’s an amazing food city, I have the weight gain to prove it.

This is what I wanted. The few i tried were shite.

Users who are viewing this thread