America (2 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

Is it drugs???

I think a lot of its drug related out there, starts with prescription/legal (opioids), although that then leads to illegal substances. When’s the western world going to accept they’ve lost the ‘war on drugs’ (whatever that means) and focus on better controlling substances legally and treating addiction properly with the tax proceeds.

Saying that, the US needs to sort their shit out on the prescription drug side of things as well. Truly frightening

clint van damme

I think a lot of its drug related out there, starts with prescription/legal (opioids), although that then leads to illegal substances. When’s the western world going to accept they’ve lost the ‘war on drugs’ (whatever that means) and focus on better controlling substances legally and treating addiction properly with the tax proceeds.

Saying that, the US needs to sort their shit out on the prescription drug side of things as well. Truly frightening

Purdue set out with a deliberate strategy to get Americans hooked on an opioid.
Meanwhile they're jailing young black men for decades for marujana related offences.

Sick Boy

That combined with massive inequality and poverty.

skybluetony176

Purdue set out with a deliberate strategy to get Americans hooked on an opioid.
Meanwhile they're jailing young black men for decades for marujana related offences.
Targeted the female population heaviest too. Tacking advantage of everything from rape trauma to post childbirth pain. No one has been immune from it including bible bashing soccer moms.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hopefully these big pharmaceutical companies will be facing massive civil claims. And with problems faced by loved ones potentially in perpetuity it could eventually end up being a 'reparations' job.

Macca

They invade anywhere in order to ‘keep the country safe’ when their own civilians commit mass murder every week.

Indeed, the irony. Imagine this country with the levels of drug and alcohol abuse along with mental health issues and the general state of half the population. Then mix in some assault rifles. Doesn’t bear thinking about

OffenhamSkyBlue

Military-trained firearms instructor, apparently. And there are reports of him having had "previous" MH issues. REALLY? You DON'T say! I'd say they were pretty much ongoing if i was any judge.

robbiekeane

Indeed, the irony. Imagine this country with the levels of drug and alcohol abuse along with mental health issues and the general state of half the population. Then mix in some assault rifles. Doesn’t bear thinking about
There is this though

Purchasing Power Parity
  1. United States:
    • Average over 2017-2021: ~$63,500
  2. Canada:
    • Average over 2017-2021: ~$50,000
  3. United Kingdom:
    • Average over 2017-2021: ~$45,500

duffer

The wages and the houses keep calling me. The guns and the neighbours keep me away.

In fairness, I've always found it a warm and hospitable place to visit. With huge and staggeringly beautiful spaces too. A while back, I thought seriously about emigrating.

A few problems though.

1) Their nutters are well-armed and dangerous (and their police to some degree too!).

2) Getting a long term illness is a remarkably poor life choice.

3) They get bugger all annual leave.

4) A decent cuppa can be hard to come by.

Other than that though, I can see the attraction. It was really the last two that sunk it for me though. 😁

CCFCSteve

In fairness, I've always found it a warm and hospitable place to visit. With huge and staggeringly beautiful spaces too. A while back, I thought seriously about emigrating.

A few problems though.

1) Their nutters are well-armed and dangerous (and their police to some degree too!).

Other than that though, I can see the attraction. It was really the last two that sunk it for me though. 😁

Yeah, I love visiting the states and as you say they’re always welcoming and friendly

Add 20% tipping even in coffee shops to the list though….and current 8% 30 yr mortgage rates.

ps on a plus side, better coffee as standard even if tea options poor and huge food portions (as reflected by the size of most of the population)

stay_up_skyblues

Yeah, I love visiting the states and as you say they’re always welcoming and friendly

Add 20% tipping even in coffee shops to the list though….and current 8% 30 yr mortgage rates.

ps on a plus side, better coffee as standard even if tea options poor and huge food portions (as reflected by the size of most of the population)

Been a while since I went (going back in august with the kids finally) but I recall the bread being grim. Sweet as a biscuit. And the bacon is shite.

Sick Boy

The standard coffee is grim.

duffer

The standard coffee is grim.

I found it entirely tolerable, but then as discussed elsewhere I'm not exactly a coffee snob.

More than happy with the standard fare too, though again maybe that's a comment on my palate.

Steaks are far better, I'd contend, and most big cities (like the UK) have high end fine dining if that's your thing.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I love the different parts we have visited but without looking at the maths, at what point will they have killed more people in their own country than they lost in the Vietnam war, it’s a nuts environment with certain peoples views on the guns they can own and believe it’s right to own.

Fysnkysc

A few problems though.

Anyone with a decent career gets paid leave, normally the high paying low skill jobs that don't pay for leave, I.e. parcel delivery they get paid roughly 80k usd a year and get 0 leave

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Plus the pirce on the shelf isn't the price at the till cos they don't add the fucking tax on.

Como

Plus the price on the shelf isn't the price at the till cos they don't add the fucking tax on.
Well they do for Petrol, yes it is super annoying but there is sort of a reason, let us say you are Tesco and every store is subject to a different tax rate, not just a common rate but categories are different. You can have State taxes, County and Town plus special districts and all sorts of other weird stuff.

Como

I love the different parts we have visited but without looking at the maths, at what point will they have killed more people in their own country than they lost in the Vietnam war, it’s a nuts environment with certain peoples views on the guns they can own and believe it’s right to own.
I can remember walking to Highfield Road with my Grandad and passing an old fashioned sports shop, I can sort of visualise where it was, anyway the left side had hunting and fishing equipment. I was in the Air Training Corp as a kid and occasionally we would go shooting, old 303s that would bruise your shoulder. Times change.

But for the life of me I do not remember people being knifed.

Users who are viewing this thread