Zavon Hines in talks today (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

According to our manager we will have the top goalscorer in League One. Little chance Collins will be and no chance Hines. Hines is a good player but his scoring record is poor.

Agree neither will be the top scorer, think Collins will get 20 to 25 and Hines 12 to 15 but create another 10 for others.

Ours cody 15 to 20. Next closest will be 10.

Cody alongside Hines would be same as their stats, would better for us.

I feel the same about nimely

Grendel

Agree neither will be the top scorer, think Collins will get 20 to 25 and Hines 12 to 15 but create another 10 for others.

Ours cody 15 to 20. Next closest will be 10.

Cody alongside Hines would be same ad their stats

According to Thorn Cody will be top in the league so 25 at least I think

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I'm not all that clued up on the lower leagues, but if hes the best available then there's a serious issue with English football, Conference would be his standard and that's being kind.

Why post so much negative fare on forums such as this then? As you've admitted you don't think he's good enough, but can't give a example of someone who is.

When you know what you don't want, but don't know what you do - what's your opinion worth?

dongonzalos

According to Thorn Cody will be top in the league so 25 at least I think

He should be and in a side creating losts of chances for him. Alongside a decent strike partner. Or feeling the pressure from a another natural goal scorer he would.

Our squad as it is, no unfortunately.

The potential is there but need someone to play the killer pases to him. I don't see Thomas, killer, deegs doing this. Baker and sheff will create from the wings. But we sorely missing creativity in the middle. Also missing a decent strike partner to distract defenders and take pressure off cody.

Marty

Why post so much negative fare on forums such as this then? As you've admitted you don't think he's good enough, but can't give a example of someone who is.

When you know what you don't want, but don't know what you do - what's your opinion worth?

I know exactly what I want and what I think we need, but can't give you a name as I'm not all that clued up on the lower league players, as I said earlier we should have picked up Roberts, stuck him on the right to replace the shambolic Baker & Bell. I would have made him my first signing.

Back to what I think we need up front is a big target man, someone able to hold up the ball, who is going to barge his way through the opponents, a player who in the first 2 minutes will clatter into an opposition player just to let the other know hes about and up for it. A big nasty lad who will leave his foot in the tackle in the hope of getting a reaction, someone who isn't 'green' and will be tugging, pushing, elbowing his way through games and most of all someone who will set up and score 10 goals a season. As a club we don't have any nasty players at all. We need a cult hero.

Cody, McSheffrey & ROD are all very similar players to Hines, bringing in another on a tight financial budget seems almost pointless to me.

Can I also ask why is it negative to want the best for my club?? If you don't agree, then fine, but saying my opinion is negative when all I said is there will be better available I just don't understand really.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

I know exactly what I want and what I think we need, but can't give you a name as I'm not all that clued up on the lower league players, as I said earlier we should have picked up Roberts, stuck him on the right to replace the shambolic Baker & Bell. I would have made him my first signing.

Back to what I think we need up front is a big target man, someone able to hold up the ball, who is going to barge his way through the opponents, a player who in the first 2 minutes will clatter into an opposition player just to let the other know hes about and up for it. A big nasty lad who will leave his foot in the tackle in the hope of getting a reaction, someone who isn't 'green' and will be tugging, pushing, elbowing his way through games and most of all someone who will set up and score 10 goals a season. As a club we don't have any nasty players at all. We need a cult hero.

Cody, McSheffrey & ROD are all very similar players to Hines, bringing in another on a tight financial budget seems almost pointless to me.

so we third our third target man. Then cody gets injured for 3 months.

Are you saying sheff up front, who then plays left wing.

Or are you saying rod and the big man up front.

Or are you saying ball or Bruno and the new bigman up front.

It seems to me we only have one cody and two big men

I don't really consider ROD and sgeff is our left attacking player. He won't go injury free al season

Mary_Mungo_Midge

We tried to sign such a player, in 6' 2", Coventry-born striker James Collins. But he got fed up waiting for the embargo to be lifted and joined Swindon instead. To an extent Calum Balll may be such a player.

Hines has got pace. We have no pace and therefore are one-dimensional. Lloyd Dyer looked nothing in his handful of games for us when he was at Albion, yet his pace is a real threat in the Leicester team; yet he only scores 1 in 7. Hines to us, could be what Dyer has proven at Leicester. A worthwhile addiotion, in my considered view.....

Marty

Yes why not McSheffrey? according to a vast amount on here, hes by far the best striker. If he is then why isn't he played ahead of everyone else and a left winger then brought in? We only have one target man in Ball and as from what i've heard he isn't all that, as far as i'm aware Bruno hasn't signed and yet still, we don't have a nasty player like I described. That's what we are missing out on most, someone who can get under the skin of the opposition.

I think we should go for McSheffrey or Cody (both similar players) & the 'nasty' target man up front or even a front 3 of Mcsheffrey, Target man & Cody. I'd never go with 2 target men up front, they don't give you the speed in behind which players like McSheffrey and Cody do.

dongonzalos

Interesting thought time for sheff to step be given the chance to step up to the plate.

However I think he is very effective on the left and we would need to sign a very creative left winger attacker as well as the brute.

I would rather see ball and Bruno used in that role and sign another cody. Keep sheff causing problems from the left and sign a Bryan Hughes.

sky blue john

Marty unbelievable your asking the club to go out and get a player that only exists in your head, or they shouldn't bother !!!!

Marty

Marty unbelievable your asking the club to go out and get a player that only exists in your head, or they shouldn't bother !!!!

lol, yes, you're right he only exists in my head. Clown. I pritty much described Grant Holt, but i'm not expecting the 30 goals to go with his presence. 10 is good enough for a player like that.

Marty

We don't need a nasty target man, we need a nasty CM in the Michael Doyle mould.

Agree we need a nasty CM too, but Doyle isn't the man, hes far to soft, a Michael Brown type would be perfect, someone who would happily kick you into the stands for nothing. The Nottingham Forest goal, where their player ran half the pitch showed the lack of desire in the team, not a single tackle, we need someone in a situation like that to come steaming in, take the ball but a huge slice of the man and take the booking. There's a soft under belly to the team which needs addressing.

ccfc_Tom

wanted us to get brown last season, jennings would have fit the mold but seems we arent getting him.

Nonleagueherewecome

We tried to sign such a player, in 6' 2", Coventry-born striker James Collins. But he got fed up waiting for the embargo to be lifted and joined Swindon instead. To an extent Calum Balll may be such a player.

Hines has got pace. We have no pace and therefore are one-dimensional. Lloyd Dyer looked nothing in his handful of games for us when he was at Albion, yet his pace is a real threat in the Leicester team; yet he only scores 1 in 7. Hines to us, could be what Dyer has proven at Leicester. A worthwhile addiotion, in my considered view.....

Fair enough and I think I agree but I thought Dyer was superb in one of his games for us. Cracking run the length of the pitch-wish we had a player with that kind of pace now.

skybluejack10

i just think we need a quick winger, a quick striker, a strong CM and to change our formation from 4231 to maybe 4222 or 41212
just as long as we dont have 1 up front!

Nonleagueherewecome

lol, yes, you're right he only exists in my head. Clown. I pritty much described Grant Holt, but i'm not expecting the 30 goals to go with his presence. 10 is good enough for a player like that.

Grant Holt made his name at Barrow: they are out there! But do we have a scout? Obvious quips about "yes, as a manager" anticipated :whistle:

Nonleagueherewecome

Grant Holt made his name at Barrow: they are out there! But do we have a scout? Obvious quips about "yes, as a manager" anticipated :whistle:

Sky Blues

Are you referring to Gary Roberts? If you were Coventry's manager, you could not have signed him as the club was under a transfer embargo at the time of his move to Swindon.

Marty

Are you referring to Gary Roberts? If you were Coventry's manager, you could not have signed him as the club was under a transfer embargo at the time of his move to Swindon.

Sorry, I didn't know we were still under the transfer embargo then, but still those type of players are the ones we should have been signing.

stupot07

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19076297

Swindon have ended his trial because he's nowhere near as fit as the Swindon squad - this is will be the case with any other freebie we pick up between now and the start of the season.

The transfer embargo has really fucked us up, PNE had signed 12 players before our embargo was lifted, we missed out on Collins and Syers and players like Gary Roberts. All the decent players were snapped up way before we even signed anyone.

Grendel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19076297

Swindon have ended his trial because he's nowhere near as fit as the Swindon squad - this is will be the case with any other freebie we pick up between now and the start of the season.

The transfer embargo has really fecked us up, PNE had signed 12 players before our embargo was lifted, we missed out on Collins and Syers and players like Gary Roberts. All the decent players were snapped up way before we even signed anyone.

I assume the you would not have signed Marlon King purely due to fitness issues?

CJparker

Loving how threads meander away from the original topic and evolve into a "he-said, she-said" life of their own after about 1.5 pages!!

NOT

stupot07

I assume the you would not have signed Marlon King purely due to fitness issues?

He was a premier league quality player and an opportunity too good to turn down, however it did take him 2-3 months to get fit, and caused a lot of disruption to the team and supporters.

Do you not think that late signings is a disadvantage? Given that Di Canio has cut short Hines's trial period for that very reason.

Astute

It makes it sound like Swindon are very fit and ready for the season. Otherwise they think he is shite

Marty

It makes it sound like Swindon are very fit and ready for the season. Otherwise they think he is shite

It has to be this, there's no way they'd turn him if he was good enough but lacking fitness, take a month at most for him to get match fit.

Grendel

He was a premier league quality player and an opportunity too good to turn down, however it did take him 2-3 months to get fit, and caused a lot of disruption to the team and supporters.

Do you not think that late signings is a disadvantage? Given that Di Canio has cut short Hines's trial period for that very reason.

I find lack of fitness hard to believe to be honest - as you say if he is good then he may be 6 weeks behind but it would still be a consideration. I would imagine his agent started discussing wages. Also as Burnley appear to have paid a fee for him it seems a bit odd he departed after a year - did he have only a one year contract?

Marty

Loving how threads meander away from the original topic and evolve into a "he-said, she-said" life of their own after about 1.5 pages!!

NOT

This is one of the very few that has stayed pritty much on topic.

Marty

I find lack of fitness hard to believe to be honest - as you say if he is good then he may be 6 weeks behind but it would still be a consideration. I would imagine his agent started discussing wages. Also as Burnley appear to have paid a fee for him it seems a bit odd he departed after a year - did he have only a one year contract?

Had a year contract with another year option. Somethings not quite right with him.

stupot07

They had to pay a fee due to his age, and they signed him on a one year contract but chose not take up the option of the second year. I'm only going on what Di Canio is saying, then Macca mentioned Gary Roberts but we missed out on him because of the embargo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18870196

I still think it's a lottery, look at Cody last season signing not fully fit, not having a proper preseason, and that made him liable to picking up jiggly injuries.

mozza1890

get him in!!!...bit of speed... not sure what wages he d be on thou, Di canio didnt want him as he wasnt fit enough, cud be abit of a risk...

Users who are viewing this thread