Zain westbrooke (1 Viewer)

kg82

Westbrooke would be a much better player than Shipley in the Championship. I don't get the Shipley love in. He flits in and out of games and gives the ball away too much. Westbrooke is a better technical player than Shipley. Don't get Robins thinking here tbh.
You’re right, Westbrooke is a better technical player than Shipley. But I’ll tell you why every manager will think a player like Shipley is better than a player like Westbrooke... Shipley puts his foot in and does the dirty work for the team, he’s stronger, he tracks his man.

djr8369

Can see Westbrookes point of view (although he shouldn’t be sharing it on social media) in that he was as important to the squad last season as Shipley but now seems expendable. There every chance he shared the tweet sarcastically and it didn’t comes across that way too.

PCH

He got bullied in league 1. After watching Cardiff on Thursday night I think teams like that would kill him

Sky Blue Pete

Westbrooke would be a much better player than Shipley in the Championship. I don't get the Shipley love in. He flits in and out of games and gives the ball away too much. Westbrooke is a better technical player than Shipley. Don't get Robins thinking here tbh.
Can’t say that there are different traits to their game

Tommo1993

Have openly admitted that Shipley is my favourite City player, but I do think he’s far more likely to positively influence games. We didn’t miss Bayliss, we won’t miss Zainbrooke, given we get a decent replacement.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

You’re right, Westbrooke is a better technical player than Shipley. But I’ll tell you why every manager will think a player like Shipley is better than a player like Westbrooke... Shipley puts his foot in and does the dirty work for the team, he’s stronger, he tracks his man.

It’s funny you should say this. If anyone was at the Leam and Warwick supporters meeting with Robins, when he was asked about being city manager he said it was great to work with some of the best players he’s ever managed and when he named two, westbrooke was one of them. Would have been easy to say Shipley as he was in the crowd but he didn’t. I have no inside knowledge but my guess is there’s been a fall out along the way, maybe from off field problems, but Robins couldn’t have spoken higher of Westbrooke that night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TTG

kg82

It’s funny you should say this. If anyone was at the Leam and Warwick supporters meeting with Robins, when he was asked about being city manager he said it was great to work with some of the best players he’s ever managed and when he named two, westbrooke was one of them. Would have been easy to say Shipley as he was in the crowd but he didn’t. I have no inside knowledge but my guess is there’s been a fall out along the way, maybe from off field problems, but Robins couldn’t have spoken higher of Westbrooke that night

That’s fair. No denying he’s a good player. But when I watch him and compare to others in our midfield I’m always disappointed in his lack of commitment to get stuck in. You watch O’Hare (who, I would say, is a better technical player than Westbrooke) and how much work he does, how much he tracks back and how physical he can be. It’s ok if you’re Pirlo to not do any of that, but Westbrooke isn’t Pirlo!

Just to be clear, I don’t rate or not rate players entirely on how much work they do! But I feel like it’s an important trait for the position the lad plays.

steve cooper

That's what I was wondering, it reminds me a bit of letting JCH go on a free to a competitor. Nothing specific but something didn't seem right behind the scenes

covcity4life

End of day robins is smart. This kid was brought in for development swuad and progressed to first team and played his part in out success. However nothing to suggest he will be great in championship so if chance we can replace him now is a good time to do it

Same with Shipley. It's no coincidence we let his contract run down and no coincidence its a short contract this time. If we become a good championship team Shipley will be gone too unless he is 1 of the catalysts for us becoming a good championship side that is.

Robins is buying time to look at his development some more and also probably looking at a survival season. Had promotion been the goal I am not sure either of 2 would be kept this window.

Magwitch

Westbrook hasn’t signed a new contract and is here on our year option, I like him but looks to me his eyes are on elsewhere so cash in if we can rather than losing him on a freebie.

mrtrench

I know nothing. I've just a suspicion that this is rather more related to his agent publicising that other clubs wanted him than his performances. If he's a Billy Big Bollocks he has to go.

I repeat that I don't know this to be true - just speculating.

Sky Blue Pete

For me it’s what robins has done so well this time around.

Manage players and move them on and upgrade. I’m sure Zain is frustrated at not being first choice but who would argue we didn’t need to improve our midfield to compete in the championship

Grendel

He’s no great loss

TTG

Called it weeks back was told I was talking nonsense
Called it about a month back and David O'Day said I was chatting shit - he aired me when I sent him the complete story... hmmm

Grendel

Just goes to show fans should stop putting 2 and 2 together

How dare a player say he's fuming!!!!

Fuck me it could be hes been on hold to his bank all day

He will probably be on his way

covcity4life

He will probably be on his way
Oh my previpus anlysis still stands regardless. Hes good but not integral. I am sure we can replace him and probably even improve upon him now we are a championship side

If he stays he will probably have same role he had in L1. Hopefully he does the job whenever called upon

Grendel

Oh my previpus anlysis still stands regardless. Hes good but not integral. I am sure we can replace him and probably even improve upon him now we are a championship side

If he stays he will probably have same role he had in L1. Hopefully he does the job whenever called upon

We have made him take an extension of just the 1 year when his agent clearly was doing the big up tactic. To be fair to him his career is pretty awful other than last season and he needs to play. He could not feature next season be turfed out and left with no career

junglej13

It surely isnt related to Shipley getting a new contract. Sounds like it was probably non football related. I do get the feeling though that all this supposed interest in him in January was all agent talk to get thr club to offer him better terms.

fatso

It's simple logic really, we have too many midfielders and wingers in the squad, so Westbrook wouldn't get game time, if everyone is fit, he wouldn't even be on the bench, and with financial fair play, we need to offload a few to bring in a couple of strikers.
I'd like to see a mini clear out, to make room (and money) available for some new players with proven experience at championship level.
I'm talking about players moving on like,
Baka, Biamou, Ponticelli, kastaneer, along with Westbrook.
Unfortunately I think it's going to be difficult to get rid of some of them, and maybe MR will give Baka and Biamou till christmas to see if they can make an impact.

Users who are viewing this thread