Your Portfolio (3 Viewers)

Greggs

Who's in on deliveroo ?
Read about it when the CEO was all over the news with his 'dynamic' new idea of bringing in 'regular' investors Pre-IPO. Stunk of under subscriptions by major investors - so stayed well away. If something seems too good to be true, it normally is!

Greggs

Might be a big tech wobble on the way. Australia stance (with FB/Google etc) is likely to be followed by other countries. The Uber ruling today which I’m guessing is likely to impact Amazon delivery drivers etc. Social media not addressing racism/abuse

About time some of them got taken down a peg or two and started properly paying their way. Will be interesting to see what happens to share values etc in coming days/weeks/months but could be a ripple especially in US

ps Uber ruling is not without its knock on negative impact to drivers etc though
this was a good shout. Big tech recovering nicely now though :) Glad i didn't look for a month

shmmeee

Robotics is going to be huge, IMO, over the next decade. A good way to hedge your bets is to buy a fund. There are two exchange traded funds, RBOT and RBTX which, despite the odd blip, have been rising steadily since they started. They are currently not at peaks so if I had some money I'd buy some more.

I don't get the automation through Robotics of administrative tasks. They were doing it in the company I last worked for and had a team of people getting the Robot to enter data from one system to another (there is nothing physical, there is a program which interacts with a computer screen). It took a long time and was expensive to build and it's quite slow for the robot to complete the entry. I just kept thinking why don't they just build a feed from system A to system B? I think it was just a fad... seen it many times before.

Not sure what you were doing, but as an example as a small business we used to have a finance lady that came in to do reconciliation and invoicing, paid her maybe £8k/year? Just replaced her with a Xero/Chargebee integration costing us nothing

Modern billing, accounting, CRM, marketing, etc software just works with each other with a click for basic integration. The days of linking huge bespoke systems together are long gone for any startup.

The productivity gains from software really come once it matures and starts to standardise, that’s where we are with most cloud business systems these days, with tools like IFTTT and Zapier meaning you can create automation without any technical knowledge.

That’s the stuff that’ll make the difference. Not the flashy lights off warehouses or self driving delivery trucks, but a million finance ladies or admin temps doing jobs that are easily automatable with little effort in existing systems.

Greggs

Not sure what you were doing, but as an example as a small business we used to have a finance lady that came in to do reconciliation and invoicing, paid her maybe £8k/year? Just replaced her with a Xero/Chargebee integration costing us nothing

Modern billing, accounting, CRM, marketing, etc software just works with each other with a click for basic integration. The days of linking huge bespoke systems together are long gone for any startup.

The productivity gains from software really come once it matures and starts to standardise, that’s where we are with most cloud business systems these days, with tools like IFTTT and Zapier meaning you can create automation without any technical knowledge.

That’s the stuff that’ll make the difference. Not the flashy lights off warehouses or self driving delivery trucks, but a million finance ladies or admin temps doing jobs that are easily automatable with little effort in existing systems.
so you're telling me my Mum wont be able to fiddle my books for much longer ;)

mrtrench

From reading I think we're talking about the same thing. What you describe sounds like an interface between two systems, not what I was calling Robotics.

skybluesam66

we are getting into a robotics. It is simple programming the computer to make the key strokes a human makes
Except it is 24/7 without error, without breaks etc
It is very inexpensive and payback is potentially weeks

shmmeee

From reading I think we're talking about the same thing. What you describe sounds like an interface between two systems, not what I was calling Robotics.

RPA = Robotic Process Automation, my robotics lecturer would agree not actually robotics as doesn’t have a physical presence, but that’s what they’re calling it 🤷

mrtrench

RPA = Robotic Process Automation, my robotics lecturer would agree not actually robotics as doesn’t have a physical presence, but that’s what they’re calling it 🤷

These kind of interfaces are bread and butter for large companies with loads of bespoke systems. Being doing them since the late 80s when I first started in IT (and before that). In fact, one of the first interfaces I ever wrote was a feed to a *real* robotic system which was picking documents from a massive warehouse.

However there is also a trend presently to buy "robotic" software (again no physical presence) which is not an interface. I always thought it was daft and so never really got interested enough in it to learn more... but from what I understand the software sits outside the system into which you want to put data and "keys" data from a file using the target system's screens. Needs lots of configuration and testing - so almost as much work as building the direct interface. And it's also *very* slow.

I can see that this would be useful if you didn't own the source code to the target system and so couldn't build a "middle tier" program to receive and process a direct feed. However because it was called "robotics" it became trendy in one large company I worked for - and they had teams of people coding this software to enter data into bespoke systems for which we owned the source code and had large development teams.

Seen these kind of trends before within IT departments and I guess one of the reasons I never progressed past middle management is because I was outspoken and always pointed out when I thought the Emperor had no clothes. In the late 90s/early 00s they were rewriting lots of perfectly good systems in Java because it was trendy. No additional functionality just a rewrite - and they cost £millions to do.

There was another trend just before that one to have a graphical user interface (windows type screen) sitting over green screen apps. Another complete waste of money.

robbiekeane

ive just been throwing the whole fucking lot at bitcoin and ETH recently on dollar cost average. Up 22% since i started about 2 months ago.

Bought a couple of hail mary altcoins too just in case they take off and i get "fuck you rich". Not going to happen though.

Going to split my savings that are just sat in my current account (never really had any before covid) between a few ETFs and then some stock in some informed decisions on stocks in companies "for the future". Then just going to try and forget about it all for a bit.

Greggs

Do you think the banks will ever allow 'Bitcoin' to overtake currency?

shmmeee

Do you think the banks will ever allow 'Bitcoin' to overtake currency?

Bitcoin has too many fundamental flaws to ever be used as currency really. It’s a value store right now, I can’t see it ever going beyond that. Etherium I think it’s better designed for actual use.

robbiekeane

Bitcoin has too many fundamental flaws to ever be used as currency really. It’s a value store right now, I can’t see it ever going beyond that. Etherium I think it’s better designed for actual use.
Not saying i disagree, but what are some of the fundamental flaws?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Back when I put my money where my mouth was....I put the lions share into IOTA as its quicker and no mining involved due to the transaction security protocols being carried by the sender....or something like that....I do recall that Bosch innovations arm invested just after me so I thought I'd nailed it....then the crash.
Just back in the black on IOTA.
I also bought stellar back in the day cos it was like
stella. 🍺

shmmeee

I would just like to reiterate that the best investment advice is probably to do the opposite of what I recommend.

Which now I’ve recommended that presents quite the paradox. 🧐

clint van damme

Back when I put my money where my mouth was....I put the lions share into IOTA as its quicker and no mining involved due to the transaction security protocols being carried by the sender....or something like that....I do recall that Bosch innovations arm invested just after me so I thought I'd nailed it....then the crash.
Just back in the black on IOTA.
I also bought stellar back in the day cos it was like
stella. 🍺

IOTA is launching its new platform next week. Think that should bump its price

robbiekeane

Transaction speed mostly stop it being used seriously, also size of blockchain and energy needed to mine.
You seem to know your economics so help me out here, am I being dumb (i did do an msc in econ but I’ve basically forgotten everything).

My biggest reservation about bitcoin is that many experts have said it’s success will depend on it being used as actual currency. Well why would something that is deflationary by design ever become day to day currency?

To kickstart economies based on fiat currencies one way or another governments try to increase the opportunity cost of holding money (control inflation through money supply or controlling interest rates to encourage spending and discourage saving).

Bitcoin is immune to that. It’s more like gold than currency. So surely that won’t ever happen?

clint van damme

No i am in for the long run, hoping it will hit $10+ in a few years

That's my strategy. Not put enough in to make it worth taking profits and reinvesting short term.
I'm up on all 3 I've invested so hopefully that continues.

Greggs

Coinbase floated yesterday. Nice way to get into the 'crypto' play under an ISA. Tempting

D

Deleted member 4439

Valued at 79 times earnings when listed. Its success is instrumentally tied to the success of Bitcoin as a transactional currency.

At the other end of the scale, I've watched with interest Wildcat Petroleum's story since listing on AIM just a few months ago. It listed at 1p. Upon listing, its manifesto was simply to buy oil assets, and as the company is simply run by a Head of Global Sales for a brand of BP Lubricants and has no serious backing, it hovered around 1p for 6 weeks. Then the company announced that it was 'going to do something with blockchain and oil & petroleum". It's now 3p. I'm very confident that the company will be a micro penny stock in 2 years' time, but never bet against blockchain in the short term.

Users who are viewing this thread