Your Greatest Achievement ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

You have to say Tyson Fury gave some performance verses Wilder in the ring, and showed fighting spirit. It got me thinking that all of us in our lives have at sometime been written off, but have shown our doubters wrong. Myself I was down as a bloke set for a life in and out of prison, trying hard to reform but due to fail. Well I proved them wrong ! Have you had the last laugh, and come out the winner ?

Grendel

You have to say Tyson Fury gave some performance verses Wilder in the ring, and showed fighting spirit. It got me thinking that all of us in our lives have at sometime been written off, but have shown our doubters wrong. Myself I was down as a bloke set for a life in and out of prison, trying hard to reform but due to fail. Well I proved them wrong ! Have you had the last laugh, and come out the winner ?

Listening to your joke on planet rock on Sunday - what an achievement

no_loyalty

I did win £80 once for getting four numbers on the national lottery, in one of the first few draws. I will say it's an achievement, as I haven't won anything since.

Gazolba

Years ago, before I got into IT, I was a trainee accountant.
I worked at this somewhat snooty Chartered Accountants office on Cook St, near the Coventry Theatre.
I was the junior guy and the four or five other guys, who had all been there for years, thought I was wet behind the ears.
One day, soon after I started, they decided to have this competition where we would all add up this long list of huge numbers.
The one who got the total right in the quickest time would be the winner.
I'm sure none of them gave me any hope, but I beat them all easily.
After that, I think I gained a little begrudging respect from them.

Another time in a completely different job in IT, I worked in a room with two other guys. One of them was looking for a solution to a really tough problem and he ended up with an equation, the answer to which would be the solution.
I forget the term for it, but it was where you have one expression equalling another expression and you have to reduce one side to a single variable.
He'd been trying to solve it for ages and failed to get a solution from any of the people he thought could help
No-one was aware I had any maths ability, but I offered to try and solve it.
It took me about about half-an hour and a dozen or so steps to reduce the equation.

There have been a few other examples of where I was underestimated and ended up surprising people, but the above two stick out in my mind the most.

ajsccfc

Said my first word at 1
United mad by 7
Bored by 11
Left school at 16
18, I worked nights at the castle but then I stopped pulling pints and started pushing myself
I did things I never dreamed I would, overcame things I never thought I could
The elements, the distance , the fears, doubts and all 7 continents
Sure I was born in Carlisle but I was made in the Royal Navy

richnrg

Said my first word at 1
United mad by 7
Bored by 11
Left school at 16
18, I worked nights at the castle but then I stopped pulling pints and started pushing myself
I did things I never dreamed I would, overcame things I never thought I could
The elements, the distance , the fears, doubts and all 7 continents
Sure I was born in Carlisle but I was made in the Royal Navy
....rodgered by 19

Alan Dugdales Moustache

so did I.....

duffer

Just the other day I opened the cupboard in the kitchen, and a glass that had been resting against the door tumbled out.

Quick as a flash, I caught it, left-handed, in a pinch grip on the top, just before it smashed against the worktop. I turned around, cool as you like, and not a single person was watching.

My greatest ever achievement, utterly unnoticed. Gutted.

Nick

Administrator
Just the other day I opened the cupboard in the kitchen, and a glass that had been resting against the door tumbled out.

Quick as a flash, I caught it, left-handed, in a pinch grip on the top, just before it smashed against the worktop. I turned around, cool as you like, and not a single person was watching.

Just did a stepover playing football with the dog, sent him out the room looking for it. I completely understand you.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Managed to stop someone with cerebral palsy choking on a pork scratching and also managed to stop an ex colleague from hanging himself off some goalposts a few years ago, that was a tough one as nobody had any inkling as to his state of mind at the time . He’s doing a lot better now thankfully I see him around every now and then

But my greatest achievement is my daughter she’s a fantastic kid with good manners a great circle of friends , intelligent, thoughtful kind hearted and has developed a really good sense of humour. That said she’s a 14 year old so every now and then there’s a drama . And being an only child it would be easy for her to have been a spoilt child but me and her mum went to great pains to make sure that didn’t happen

Last edited:

richnrg

you caught it just before it smashed against the worktop? Not much point catching it then.

duffer

you caught it just before it smashed against the worktop? Not much point catching it then.

Wouldn't have been much point in catching it after it had smashed

I do hope you're not trying to diminish my greatest ever achievement, that would be mean. :)

Terry Gibson's perm

As a school boy I was the first person ever to score a century for the first eleven cricket team.

rob9872

Won a junior chess competition, played pool for the county, got an O'level for maths 18 months early whilst still 14, won an international poker tournament against professional players for 25k … but my greatest achievement of all is falling off a bar stool when completely smashedwith a nearly full pint and not spilling a drop!

richnrg

Wouldn't have been much point in catching it after it had smashed

I do hope you're not trying to diminish my greatest ever achievement, that would be mean. :)
sorry - just wanted to know if it smashed or not? Did you catch it just before it smashed (pointless) or did your catch prevent it from smashing (superb)

Nick

Administrator
sorry - just wanted to know if it smashed or not? Did you catch it just before it smashed (pointless) or did your catch prevent it from smashing (superb)

Of course he smashed it, you could go round there any night of the week and find Duffer hanging out the back of it.

giphy.gif

rob9872

i once pissed 4 1/4 pints in one go (measured in 5 x pint glasses as a challenge)
I'm calling it now - we have a winner! :)

Users who are viewing this thread