You don't know what you're missing! (1 Viewer)

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Just enjoying the games, had forgotten what that was like and totally agree with the sentiment, we all make choices and if we are sat in the top 6 at the end of the season and have 15k fans at every game then that will be even better, don't care to be honest, the club and team have been woeful for some years and I understand how that has put people off and I can understand the Burton comment.
I liken the football we are playing now to the Hadji, Chippo, Keane time but at a lower standard, those who have stuck with it have slowly lowered our expectations and been battered and dumbed down or even numbed by it. I guess those that dropped out at the prem time see what we are doing now as poor and by comparative to that, it is.
trust me though, compared to the last few years, this is like watching Brazil at their best.

for those who want, come an enjoy, you won't be disappointed too often this year, we may have blips, the team are developing but they are doing so fast with a belief that takes me back to traditional motivational managers of old.

i am going to enjoy this season

rupert_bear

I don't really care about the attendance to be honest as long as we exceed Steve Waggott's minimum 11000, we haven't been below that figure yet and i don't expect to, then we can see what he has to say Christmas time about upping the budget a little bit for what could be a promotion push in the New Year.

clemy07

Agree completely. I hate SISU and always will but the team on the pitch is what I pay to see. Not felt this optimistic for a long time. Can't wait for Bury on Saturday, they're right in the mix with us and although a point would be good, I feel we'll grab all 3. PUSB!

Evo1883

You're the kind of fan who sticks with the team, right Evo?
I try , am a ST holder for the last 4 years at the ricoh (not northampton) after leaving the army ,and i attend 75% of away games normally but trying for them all this season

Evo1883

His brother Pritt is even more loyal apparently.
My brother passed away some 8 years ago ,not quite sure what that post meant anyways in all fairness , i know you are trying to be funny , but why?

Rob S

Have to agree with OP. I took the gamble of committing to some hefty travel but after securing Mogga, it looked like a decent bet and now it is bloody marvelous.

I can't believe that it's a grey, rainy Tuesday and I'm already looking forward to getting up at 6am on Saturday to go to flipping Bury.

In a lot of ways, I'd actually prefer us to keep running on the strict budget model if we can. We're getting high-quality loans with the likes of Armo, Murphy & Kent and with some smart signings and continued youth development we might be better off cutting our cloth to suit rather than making risky, expensive punts?

TBF, I'd trust Mogga more than most with a bigger budget but I'm still pretty wary after the GR/BR days & then Ranson's mess.

TBH, my biggest fear is one of the bigger clubs swooping in for Mogga. Sherwood will go and Maclaren, Advocaat & Hughes are in the crosshairs already.

I'll shut up now...this was supposed to be a positivity thread

standupforcity

Have to agree with OP. I took the gamble of committing to some hefty travel but after securing Mogga, it looked like a decent bet and now it is bloody marvelous.

I can't believe that it's a grey, rainy Tuesday and I'm already looking forward to getting up at 6am on Saturday to go to flipping Bury.

In a lot of ways, I'd actually prefer us to keep running on the strict budget model if we can. We're getting high-quality loans with the likes of Armo, Murphy & Kent and with some smart signings and continued youth development we might be better off cutting our cloth to suit rather than making risky, expensive punts?

TBF, I'd trust Mogga more than most with a bigger budget but I'm still pretty wary after the GR/BR days & then Ranson's mess.

TBH, my biggest fear is one of the bigger clubs swooping in for Mogga. Sherwood will go and Maclaren, Advocaat & Hughes are in the crosshairs already.

I'll shut up now...this was supposed to be a positivity thread

I'm also a little anxious about TM being head hunted....but I feel he's the kind of guy who's signed a two year contract and will honour that. What happens after that depends on our success and if we're in the Championship and still doing well, who know what could happen. Right now I'm enjoying the moment...

rupert_bear

Can't see Mowbray going anywhere frankly, this is a dream job for him, biggish club on it's knees and with an almost total blank canvas to work on, go to a premiership/championship club in the lower reaches and he would inherit a full squad loads of which he wouldn't want

ptr

I'm also a little anxious about TM being head hunted....but I feel he's the kind of guy who's signed a two year contract and will honour that. What happens after that depends on our success and if we're in the Championship and still doing well, who know what could happen. Right now I'm enjoying the moment...

I think TM knows that if he continues to get this club right, then the success level can be huge. The fan base is there, the history is there we just needed the structure sorting out on and off the pitch and that is beginning to show.

All we need now is a bit of backing from the owners financially as our only fault ATM is that our best players are loans.

But back to the original post, guys that aren't coming you are missing out on the most entertaining footy I've seen in a while. No longer do we have to sit and watch midfield players just pass from side to side or backwards, believe it or not we have players taking other players on, with PACE. Forgot what pace looked like. Get down because I feel something special is happening this season! PUSB

Kingokings204

Tony mowbray is better than us I think is a fair comment but we were in the right place at the right time and as I said at the time he was the best signing of the summer as the rest will fall into place with the best manager in league 1 in my opinion at the helm.

As for the OP, we need as many fans down the Ricoh as possible. It's great football and compared to last year it's like watching Brazil. Last year was truly awful and still a miracle to me how we stayed up. We did though and now bar Wigan and Sheffield United see no reason why we can't go for a top 10 and obviously hopefully top 6 finish. There are no stand out teams in this league and it's a poor league.

We can do it this year make no mistake.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

If he got us into the Championship within the 2 years and we were still there when his contract ends ok sure he will have offers from better placed Champ clubs and would have earnt the right to move on to a club in a better position financially to back him.

I do think we go up we would
Come straight back down but if that happened it would be fantastic that we've had a protein season to build from!

SlowerThanPlatt

"Tony Mowbray picked up his 10th league win as Coventry City manager in 21 games. They'd won 10 of the previous 46 before his arrival".

shmmeee

Agreed that Mowbray has done a sterling job with the funds. On the one hand it shows up previous attempts. On the other it's Mowbray and one of them don't come along every week.

All we can say is well done for getting Mowbray. Now move heaven and earth to keep him here* because we are. Or likely to do better.

*I reserve the right to change this opinion completely given a run of bad games and a particularly poor day at work.

Covstu

People will come back if success continues but unfortunately alot of people have moved on completely given the last 5 years of hell and i doubt we will see them again (unless a good cup run).

ptr

People will come back if success continues but unfortunately alot of people have moved on completely given the last 5 years of hell and i doubt we will see them again (unless a good cup run).

If they have moved on they never supported the club in the first place. Once your Sky Blue your always sky blue.

Does my head in the amount of people moaning when we're not doing well but when things are going good there nowhere to be seen. Who ATM when we're performing well on the pitch honestly cares about all this SISU, ground, Northampton and wasps b****x. Just get behind the team.

standupforcity

If they have moved on they never supported the club in the first place. Once your Sky Blue your always sky blue.

Does my head in the amount of people moaning when we're not doing well but when things are going good there nowhere to be seen. Who ATM when we're performing well on the pitch honestly cares about all this SISU, ground, Northampton and wasps b****x. Just get behind the team.

Yep completely agree...if you're a Sky Blue supporter you support your team. It's not there to make a political stance unless our clubs future is at stake, which is why I never went to Northampton. At the moment it isn't, at the moment our future is extremely bright and will only get better if we turn out in numbers and hail what's happening right now!

Covstu

Dont disagree but you know this is the excuse they will hold...

georgehudson

i had a lengthy chat with a few CCFC fans on saturday, after the game, at a hostelry,
there were nopm (2), only away games (3), and won't go til sisu do (3),
there were also a few others too,
essentially the general opinion was that people will return, though not in the numbers hoped for,
the concensus of opinion being that the majority felt, by various degrees,
hurt, abused, ignored & treated with disdain,
persons mentioned in this respect; JS, TF, SW, & many of the previous hierarchy eg KD, OI, PC, & that blairite bloke that no-one could remember the name of,
1 chap got a here, here, from most when he said
'we've been shat on too many times by that lot'
i.e. there are an awful lot of bridges to build, before the build of a stadium

standupforcity

Dont disagree but you know this is the excuse they will hold...

And you have to wonder why! I've read a few posts on here where people have said they came back once, just to be sure they weren't missing out, and now they can't stay away. Not surprising really....

Samo

I spoke to an old friend the other day who used to go up with her partner and son - She didn't even know that TM was our manager!

NorthernWisdom

Yep completely agree...if you're a Sky Blue supporter you support your team. It's not there to make a political stance unless our clubs future is at stake, which is why I never went to Northampton. At the moment it isn't, at the moment our future is extremely bright and will only get better if we turn out in numbers and hail what's happening right now!

Our club's future is always at stake.

And this, tbh, is what annoys me. Frankly, if people are uncomfortable handing over cash to people who own a club for profit motive, then fair play to them and fair enough. If people don't go for whatever reason, they're more than welcome to.

Everybody has their cut-off point. Just because the team's won a couple of games doesn't make a problem go away. The irony however, is that sod all people have said on this site they're staying away because of the owners, it appears we're hitting the anticipated average gate (and why expect it to leap rapidly after a few games) so we are where we are, and are to be perfectly honest where we would be regardless of owners, I'd think, bar a few with extreme views.

The club's been disconnected for many years and it shows. If we keep winning crowds will increase and if we fade a bit, they'll dip. Such is the way of the world.

However... the same as people had every right to go to Northampton if they felt it was the right thing to do, people have the right to stay away too. I see nothing other than berating a non existent noise on this message board however. The NOPM threads here are conspicuous by their absence.

To think all is happy and clappy however is a very dangerous thing. Results can mask the foundations, but just as when Ranson and Coleman had us OK and in the cup quarter finals, all was not well then. Results don't make problems go away, results will increase crowds, but equally if results dip things won't necessarily be worse behind the scenes.

When Blackpool won promotion to the top flight, after all, their owners were still of dubious standing.

standupforcity

i had a lengthy chat with a few CCFC fans on saturday, after the game, at a hostelry,
essentially the general opinion was that people will return, though not in the numbers hoped for,
persons mentioned in this respect; JS, TF, SW, & many of the previous hierarchy eg KD, OI, PC, & that blairite bloke that no-one could remember the name of,

Ahhhhhh...poor things!

oakey

The simple truth is that there have been too many false dawns and broken promises for 2 decades now. Anybody over 30 who has drifted away is disillusioned and busy doing other stuff now. Only a sustained promotion push with good football being played will very slowly bring people back. Many suspect, I guess, that we will do OK but the owners will allow loans to go back and no serious investment in the team. Thus TM will be left trying to do miracles.
Plus, in truth, the football had only one end product on Saturday so if you saw the score or the highlights it looks a 1-0 win, nothing to get excited about.

NorthernWisdom

The simple truth is that there have been too many false dawns and broken promises for 2 decades now. Anybody over 30 who has drifted away is disillusioned and busy doing other stuff now. Only a sustained promotion push with good football being played will very slowly bring people back. Many suspect, I guess, that we will do OK but the owners will allow loans to go back and no serious investment in the team. Thus TM will be left trying to do miracles.
Plus, in truth, the football had only one end product on Saturday so if you saw the score or the highlights it looks a 1-0 win, nothing to get excited about.

It's worth pointing out we had a truly sensational first half a season in Northampton, Pressley was the Messiah, and when we returned to the Ricoh we were still doing alright (if not with the flair of the season before).

So even in the recent past, things have come crashing down.

It's not surprising it'll take some longer than others to believe this is genuine.

SkyBlue_Bear83

essentially the general opinion was that people will return, though not in the numbers hoped for,*

* Unless of course we draw a top team at the Ricoh or have a chance of getting to Wembley.

Paxman II

It's worth pointing out we had a truly sensational first half a season in Northampton, Pressley was the Messiah, and when we returned to the Ricoh we were still doing alright (if not with the flair of the season before).

So even in the recent past, things have come crashing down.

It's not surprising it'll take some longer than others to believe this is genuine.

This is a point worth repeating. At Northampton we were sensational with Calum Wilson and Leon Clarke netting for fun and Baker and Moussa adding even more. We started tremendously well and played attacking exciting football I had not seen for a while.
It was when we hit injuries and lost Wilson and Clarke we started to get it wrong. Pressley's management began to fade and he showed his lack of experience and ability from there on. He was given a fair chance to resurrect the situation but ultimately could not do it.

The difference now is we have a manager who has the experience, the connections and ability to approach it differently from painting the bus to finding the right loanees. We can sense the optimism as real rather than in hope. The way he has tackled this league already is a credit to him.
The top team is Burton and we beat them on their ground the other week. Yes we will have off days like Scunny but you sense that is what they are, off days rather than a disappointment. We came back again and battered Chesterfield (laughable we only scored once)but under TM the feeling is we can continue on this course. Just listening to player interviews tells you the same.
We are hearing things like "Coventry are a good side, their be there or there abouts at the end". A few astute signings and suddenly we are a different team!
It matters not who owns us if we have a decent budget in this league. e do but we have a top manager at this level and it shows. I think we will keep it going so get ready for a playoff ride at least!

SlowerThanPlatt

* Unless of course we draw a top team at the Ricoh or have a chance of getting to Wembley.
Same as every team, no? I know Blues are still protesting about Carson yet I bet a few broke the promise at MK Dons and Villa tonight. Cardiff 'we won't go until we're blue again', sold out every game in the Prem.

Nick

Administrator
Same as every team, no? I know Blues are still protesting about Carson yet I bet a few broke the promise at MK Dons and Villa tonight. Cardiff 'we won't go until we're blue again', sold out every game in the Prem.
Probably, still a bit silly though.

georgehudson

having read, i understand the situation,
& pax, maybe the budget is very important,
especially when so many teams with less income have a substantially higher budget,
nevertheless i am hugely impressed by TM & his team,
& would expect that JS is able to recognise this

fernandopartridge

having read, i understand the situation,
& pax, maybe the budget is very important,
especially when so many teams with less income have a substantially higher budget,
nevertheless i am hugely impressed by TM & his team,
& would expect that JS is able to recognise this
Where have you got that nonsense about teams with a lower income but higher budget from?

Users who are viewing this thread