Yakubu (1 Viewer)

Otis

He's been training with Boreham Wood all season apparently, so should have a bit of fitness in him.
Massive panic signing though if it goes ahead
Yeah.

Well if he has been training all season I would guess at him being around 80% fit. A gamble for sure, but unless there is anyone else out there it might well be a gamble we have to take.

chinamans view

He was 28 yrs old when he was at Portsmouth in the prem div, Slade will tell him to stand in the pen area and wait for us to hoof it up to you but you will be very busy

andyboy81

Feed the Yak and he will SHIT!!!!!!

Doubt he will even turn up! Also by the time the fat fuck gets any kind of match fitness it will be too late.

Gosford Green

An unfit 35 year old (approx) striker without match practice is just what we need, lets hope he sets the place alight like Darius Henderson did.

hutch1972

On a serious point though , even a half fit Yakubu would probably still have the ability to shoot straight.
At the end of the day we have nothing else and let's face it he wouldn't be costing a lot. It would only be a short term deal so pretty low risk.
Many will remember one of the best finishers this club ever had was not the most athletic , Mick Quinn!

andyboy81

Yes hutch but Mick Quinn hadn't sat not playing for 8 months, had gone through a pre season of 4 weeks or so.

Not denying the talent is / was there but the problem is him getting up to speed of the game in time

Gosford Green

On a serious point though , even a half fit Yakubu would probably still have the ability to shoot straight.
At the end of the day we have nothing else and let's face it he wouldn't be costing a lot. It would only be a short term deal so pretty low risk.
Many will remember one of the best finishers this club ever had was not the most athletic , Mick Quinn!

Mick Quinn had scored 30+ goals in previous seasons for Newcastle and arrived at a team with the likes of Kevin Gallacher and Stewart Robson in and was creating plenty of chances. This is not in any way comparable.

tom88

_90348840_yakubu1.jpg

Looks fairly in shape to me. Lets face it, signing him and it turning out to be shit is better than not trying at all. We need all the help we can get.

Astute

It's desperate, and typical of us. He hasn't played all season. What the fuck is wrong with our club?

That being said, the best way to get fit is playing matches. Just play him and see what happens. We are so shit that lowering the standard even more is surely almost impossible.
Our 1st team has hardly played this season.

hutch1972

Mick Quinn had scored 30+ goals in previous seasons for Newcastle and arrived at a team with the likes of Kevin Gallacher and Stewart Robson in and was creating plenty of chances. This is not in any way comparable.
I am talking fitness levels not the teams they played in.
How could I compare the prem league with the shit that this league produces. I'm saying that a half fit player who can score goals is better than one who runs all day but couldn't hit a barn door if he was sat on the padlock.
Looking at it another way , we don't have many options do we ?
I take your point about it not being comparable but neither is the situation we find ourselves in.

Astute

That was playing top flight football. We are in Division 3.

I wouldn't have put him as good as Quinny when he was at his best. But look at the difference in the opponents.

Terry Gibson's perm

If he was fit enough for 10 minutes I would rather have ten minutes of him than that waster Tudgay.

If the ball drops into the box who would you rather have there a half fit Yak or Tudgay waving his arms about 35 yards from goal.

duffer

I think the key question is: How far can he throw a tennis ball?

We've got to learn to embrace the horror gents, how could signing him make things any worse? At best he scores goals, at worst we get a bit of something vaguely novel to complain about as we tumble (further) into the abyss. I see no downside. :)

Otis

If he was fit enough for 10 minutes I would rather have ten minutes of him than that waster Tudgay.

If the ball drops into the box who would you rather have there a half fit Yak or Tudgay waving his arms about 35 yards from goal.
Unfortunately Yakubu doesn't have Tudgay's pace.

Unfortunately, further still, Tudgay has no pace at all of his own.

Terry Gibson's perm

Unfortunately Yakubu doesn't have Tudgay's pace.

Unfortunately, further still, Tudgay has no pace at all of his own.

It's instinct they require not pace Tudgay isn't a proper striker that's why the bloke has under 100 career goals after all these years.

I think I don't like Tudgay because he shows how low my beloved club have sunk when he is here

Pete in Portugal

He's been training with Boreham Wood all season apparently, so should have a bit of fitness in him.
Massive panic signing though if it goes ahead

Yes I agree - possibly the last throw of the dice for Slade? It might maske sense for Slade to also sign triallist winger David Nasseri to provide the crosses for the Yak to feed off.

Otis

Yes I agree - possibly the last throw of the dice for Slade? It might maske sense for Slade to also sign triallist winger David Nasseri to provide the crosses for the Yak to feed off.
Yeah, was just thinking that this morning. I take it will still have Theo Wharton and Navid Nasseri with us.

Wonder when Slade will make a decision in them. Had them about two weeks now haven't we?

smileycov

Facebook User
Most people bang on about needing a 20 goal a season striker, In my opinion. This isn't the ba all and end all. We just need someone who can at least create for others, cause enough of a nuisance to allow others a chance. We need goals full stop, with such low confidence the players concede one and appear to give up as the game is lost. We are a shit side at the bottom of the league with even shitter owners who do not care at all. If a 34 year old has been does enough to create even 1 goal a game I say get him on board. The 2 young lads may thrive of him.

Pete in Portugal

Yeah, was just thinking that this morning. I take it will still have Theo Wharton and Navid Nasseri with us.

Wonder when Slade will make a decision in them. Had them about two weeks now haven't we?

Yeah sorry Navid not David Nasseri. You'd think Slade would want to make a decision this morning, so that he could register one or both of them in time for the Wycombe match. I think he's got about 45 minutes left to do that.

Malaka

He will need a few games to get fit, unfortunately we don't have time or enough games left.
Now by posting this I did moan about McGoldrick and was proved totally wrong. I am hoping the same applies here

steve82

If there is any budget left wtf we waited till now for to make a move. Bloody insane

Who said there was no budget left?
Nearly all striking options we went in for said no thanks and joined others that why we're now asking Yakubu if he wants a game

Warwickhunt

We have to remember that a reasonable 1st Div Striker needs 10 chances to convert 1, this Guy has played at the highest level and his mind set will be of premiership quality and will proabably even at this stage will only need 3 chances to convert 1 - I agree fitness plays a big part but even if he last 60 minutes a game until he gets up to speed there always a chance that the supporting players will pass the ball to him a bit more regular than they do for Tudgay & Beavon at the moment because nobody will knock him off the ball. I say lets go for it as we need as many rolls of the dice we can get. To be quite honest if he can be signed in time i would play him tomorrow then we could see him and Aknifenwa in a 10 metre sprint off!

Users who are viewing this thread