Match Thread Wycombe Wanderers vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Sunday 29th Dec (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Wycombe Wanderers vs. Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

Sky Blue Harry H

The one change I would make is Mason. McCallum struggles defensively - we’ve got two games in quick succession so I guess he will change it about a fair bit

Agree re:changing it about - I'll be disappointed if we can't turn Tranmere over, given that it will be their 3rd game over that period and only our 2nd, with as you said, the option of squad rotation. Our squad should have more depth than Tranmere's (apart from perhaps up front!!)

lifeskyblue

Agree re:changing it about - I'll be disappointed if we can't turn Tranmere over, given that it will be their 3rd game over that period and only our 2nd, with as you said, the option of squad rotation. Our squad should have more depth than Tranmere's (apart from perhaps up front!!)

Not saying our strikers are the best but when you think neither Hiwula, Max or Baka started the last game we should have plenty of options up front to rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnythespider

Wycombe forward Scott Kashket charged with misconduct under the f.a's betting rules, relating to 183 bets between 2014 - 2016.

Johnnythespider

The one change I would make is Mason. McCallum struggles defensively - we’ve got two games in quick succession so I guess he will change it about a fair bit
McCallum looked done in after 70 mins on Saturday

Londonccfcfan

Local game for me! always look forward to this, should be a big crowd (For Wycombe) cracking game and atmoshphere!

I would agree with changing it up now and again Mason for McCallum but maybe not for this one as McCallum much better in the air than mason for obvious reasons! McCallum is only young will improve game by game!

It was fascinating to see how Oxford outplayed Wycombe (at their style of play) the dark arts etc Getting Akinfenwa sent off was complete team effort . This is something we need to improve at against the bigger physical teams like (Rotherham/Shrewsbury/Wycombe/Accrington). We need to mix it at times.

Doyle has been pretty inflential in the past during these games. Kelly and McFad step up!

Facinating game, 2-1 win sets up niceley for 2020.

slyblue57

McCallum looked done in after 70 mins on Saturday
Really prefer McCallum to Mason, all teams play the ball over Masons head, reminds me of the DKE twins. Masons a fine footballer but for this league he s small. McCallum is a far better option .
Everyone to their own opinion tho.
Pusb

Paxman II

A game and opportunity to lay down a marker. Allen must surely be in. Shippers only last 65 minutes so O'Hare would be a great swap on 65. Walshpivitol for me in this one.
It's not a game we should fear. Play our game and we should OK.
2-0 with maybe Godden finding the net with Allen.

SkyblueTexan

Hopefully we face a team that is tired and worse for wear. We should capitalise on the extra rest and play a more uptempo game. A first win away at the table toppers will be massive.

clint van damme

A game and opportunity to lay down a marker. Allen must surely be in. Shippers only last 65 minutes so O'Hare would be a great swap on 65. Walshpivitol for me in this one.
It's not a game we should fear. Play our game and we should OK.
2-0 with maybe Godden finding the net with Allen.

Allen for who?
He was poor against Shrewsbury and all 3 central midfielders did OK Saturday.
Agree with O'Hare for Shipley on 65 minutes.
Shipley just doesn't seem to be able to go past that point in the game without looking knackered.

covcity4life

I thought he was. Got on the ball a lot but I don't think he used it very well
I certainly wouldn't drop any of the 4 who played Saturday for him.
thought he looked v good again personally, has a real motor on him

not asking for anyone to be dropped but if MR decides on allen over shipley or westbrooke i will be fine with it

wouldnt swap for kelly or Walsh as they give us a good base to build on from deep. Walsh with his positional play and kelly with his defensive capabilities

Last edited:

Paxman II

Allen for who?
He was poor against Shrewsbury and all 3 central midfielders did OK Saturday.
Agree with O'Hare for Shipley on 65 minutes.
Shipley just doesn't seem to be able to go past that point in the game without looking knackered.

Westbrooke.

I know he scored (albeit a slightly lucky weak shot) and had a ok game. However he is lightweight and definately lacks the energy and quality of Allen. We have a strong squad and Allen would be in my team every week.

Irish Sky Blue

One of few teams who can consider us their bogey team, hard to see us continuing on such a good run against an individual team but nothing to fear really.
I always think it is good to play someone who has consistently beaten you purely on the basis that the bad run has to end sometime. However, I think back to the seemingly endless winless run against Villa and even our inability to win at Shrewsbury and the reality is that these runs can go on.
The way we have played at places like Sunderland, Peterborough and Ipswich means that we can go into this game knowing that we can compete with the best teams in the league. We need to avoid a Rotherham style start to the game and if we do I think we will be okay. It will be interesting to see how Wycombe play and to have an insight into how they have become so dominant. As far as I know they haven’t drastically changed personnel and if Akinfenwa is still playing regularly, presumably their tactics are still the same. They were less than impressive in the two games against us last season so what has brought about their improvement?

Covkid1968#

To be our first away win in the league at the table toppers will make my Xmas.
Follow up with pay back on New Year’s Day and 2020 will start to look very very promising

3-2 Cov in a very entertaining game

shmmeee

Keep the team the same, nice strong bench if we need to change things up. Jones, Allen, Hiwula, Biamou all capable of changing a game.

Users who are viewing this thread