WSL 23/24 (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Could be set for another decent title fight but Chelsea still the team to beat. I reckon Arsenal will be closest to them having signed Russo, Ilestedt and Cooney-Cross and with Williamson, Mead and Miedema all returning from ACLs. Depends how well those 3 come back.

A lot of top level signings across the board, nice to see a lot of players from the World Cup coming to the WSL. My outside bet is Man Utd to win the title after the signings they've made and coming so close last year, despite losing Russo. I'm going to see them play Villa on Sunday so praying for a positive start to the season.

David O'Day

Could be set for another decent title fight but Chelsea still the team to beat. I reckon Arsenal will be closest to them having signed Russo, Ilestedt and Cooney-Cross and with Williamson, Mead and Miedema all returning from ACLs. Depends how well those 3 come back.

A lot of top level signings across the board, nice to see a lot of players from the World Cup coming to the WSL. My outside bet is Man Utd to win the title after the signings they've made and coming so close last year, despite losing Russo. I'm going to see them play Villa on Sunday so praying for a positive start to the season.
United will be better without Russo, she is undoubtably a great player but she doesn't score enough goals. She scored what was it 10 goals last year? In a team scored and created as many did that just wasn't good enough. Geyse is a much, better goal scorer and if they had someone who scored 20 instead of 10 up top last year they may well have won the league.

Adding George, Melard, Miyazawa means the do have a brilliant squad. They also spent a record on a keeper so they succession planning for that position is there, she'll be interesting as not only is she good she is 6ft as well.

SkyBlueSoul

United will be better without Russo, she is undoubtably a great player but she doesn't score enough goals. She scored what was it 10 goals last year? In a team scored and created as many did that just wasn't good enough. Geyse is a much, better goal scorer and if they had someone who scored 20 instead of 10 up top last year they may well have won the league.

Adding George, Melard, Miyazawa means the do have a brilliant squad. They also spent a record on a keeper so they succession planning for that position is there, she'll be interesting as not only is she good she is 6ft as well.
Russo was one of those who may not have scored enough but held the ball up well and brought other players into the game when I watched them. I don't disagree they've done well to bring in players who will probably more goals than she did, but I would have liked to see her in a front 2 with someone like Miyazawa/Geyse. These two could be lethal though, no doubt.

Having Zelem, Ladd and Guerrero to pick from in midfield is great as well, it's a really exciting time for them. Pains me to say but they've become my de facto team living up here, tend to watch them more than anyone else. Annoyingly I'm not around for them v Arsenal next Friday.

David O'Day

Russo was one of those who may not have scored enough but held the ball up well and brought other players into the game when I watched them. I don't disagree they've done well to bring in players who will probably more goals than she did, but I would have liked to see her in a front 2 with someone like Miyazawa/Geyse. These two could be lethal though, no doubt.

Having Zelem, Ladd and Guerrero to pick from in midfield is great as well, it's a really exciting time for them. Pains me to say but they've become my de facto team living up here, tend to watch them more than anyone else. Annoyingly I'm not around for them v Arsenal next Friday.
yeah she is a good player just not a great striker, if you play her alongside another striker you they have to leave out or play out of position people like Toone or Miyazawa. 10 goals from a striker who players up front their own is not good enough for a team.

They have Garcia, Galton(who if she hadn't effectively said no to England due to mental health reasons would be a great player for England) and Parris as wing options is great as well.

Chelsea are the team to beat but United are going to smash a few teams this season. Arsenal will be battling City for 3rd

SkyBlueSoul

It's definitely an exciting season for them after coming so close last year, the squad is stronger on the whole. And the fact their last game of the season is at home v Chelsea is huge. Potential title decider at home.

I still reckon Arsenal will be 2nd if the 3 coming back from injury are anywhere near their previous levels. Big 'if' though.

Hutch11

I saw Russo live at the Emirates last season and she was unplayable
So glad she's joined Arsenal , makes them stronger

SkyBlueSoul

Great game today, not that much between the sides. Felt dirty sitting in the Holte End but celebrating a 93rd minute winner for the other team surrounded by Villa fans was amusing. Geyse looked brilliant, really looking forward to seeing more of her this year. Her in front of Garcia, Toone and Galton looked dangerous, going to cause a lot of teams problems.

I do have to say the refereeing was poor today, officials missed a lot of things for both sides.

Last edited:

SkyBlueSoul

Luckily have the time to sit down and watch the Manchester derby. Was tempted to go but need to save money. Decent game so far, United unlucky to not be 2-0 up then City score 2 in a minute.

David O'Day

Luckily have the time to sit down and watch the Manchester derby. Was tempted to go but need to save money. Decent game so far, United unlucky to not be 2-0 up then City score 2 in a minute.
shocking decision for the disallowed goal, also was it offside or out? It was neither but on comms they keep talking about it being out but the lino flagged for an offside?

SkyBlueSoul

That's the confusing thing, it looked like it was flagged for going out but then they gave a goal kick even though it came off the City player. Either way it was shit officiating which is becoming the main problem atm.

David O'Day

That's the confusing thing, it looked like it was flagged for going out but then they gave a goal kick even though it came off the City player. Either way it was shit officiating which is becoming the main problem atm.
that's what confused me as it was a goal ick and if it went out it was a corner

the comms team failed to spot that either

Users who are viewing this thread