Would you now back a new ground? (4 Viewers)

Sisued

I'd back a new stadium over Tim fisher.....preferably in a convoy of trucks

Neutral Fan

Where's your fight NW. Wasps in Cov are nothing without the same types that embraced the Wimbledon chairman and his franchise into MK. Cov has more about it than that, we already have 2 famous and historical teams with a great record and fans who will rally to the cause now !

I hope you're right. But taking 7,000 to the Franchise FC match to protest your own temporary ''franchise'' doesn't fill me with great hope.

I fear some plastic fans from Coventry will suddenly discover they always had a heartfelt love for London Wasps....

Hobo

IF there was a new ground I'd need to see where it was before I decided if I was going to go or not.

Its not just about deciding to go or not though is it? The location is vital as it does determine footfall, but also can it attract other businesses and other revenues? The Ricoh not only has this but other development potential as well.

Attendance and pie money alone will not sustain a modern Sports team. Wasps are well aware of this, how long have they been looking for a new home. Their estimate on building from new is a project period of 10 years. Which seems more realistic than Tim's 3-5 years, by the way Tim how far have we progressed?

skybluelee

Say you could buy the land, pay for the build and all the associated fees, for £25m. Say you could find someone to lend you the money at 4%.

The interest on this would be £1m per year, and that's without paying any of the £25m off.

This is the minimum figure as I think it would cost more to build, and the interest would be higher.

It will kill the club.

We need to agree a rental deal, with some access to match day revenue, at the Ricoh.

Can somebody present the above to Fisher directly as I would love to know hear his response?

letsallsingtogether

Outside of Coventry defiantly not would rather watch the Wasps:eek:

Funny how people keep harping on about the revenue streams?

The Ricoh has events on everyday yet struggles to make a profit?

So what are our owners gong to do that is different to make up there shortfall and pay off the £90million we will be in debt after building it????

Otis

Outside of Coventry defiantly not would rather watch the Wasps:eek:

Funny how people keep harping on about the revenue streams?

The Ricoh has events on everyday yet struggles to make a profit?

So what are our owners gong to do that is different to make up there shortfall and pay off the £90million we will be in debt after building it????

The difference would be instead of Coldplay they'd have Cosplay and instead of Bruce Springsteen they'd have Bruce's Spring Teen convention.

They are in cloud cuckoo land. A new stadium isn't the answer, they can't afford it, it will financially cripple us even further, it'll take god knows how many years before it would turn any profit and it's looking likely that it will be well outside the city boundaries.

The fans don't want it (well most anyway it seems). When have the club ever listened to us though?

covcity4life

The difference would be instead of Coldplay they'd have Cosplay and instead of Bruce Springsteen they'd have Bruce's Spring Teen convention.

They are in cloud cuckoo land. A new stadium isn't the answer, they can't afford it, it will financially cripple us even further, it'll take god knows how many years before it would turn any profit and it's looking likely that it will be well outside the city boundaries.

The fans don't want it (well most anyway it seems). When have the club ever listened to us though?

they did listen to YOU

you wanted the wasps to buy ricoh remember, dont backtrack.

Nick

Administrator
Its not just about deciding to go or not though is it? The location is vital as it does determine footfall, but also can it attract other businesses and other revenues? The Ricoh not only has this but other development potential as well.

Attendance and pie money alone will not sustain a modern Sports team. Wasps are well aware of this, how long have they been looking for a new home. Their estimate on building from new is a project period of 10 years. Which seems more realistic than Tim's 3-5 years, by the way Tim how far have we progressed?
True, but I did put a massive if. How successful it would be would depend on location and what it could actually offer. Anyway, lets discuss the colour of the ferrari im getting ;)

Otis

True, but I did put a massive if. How successful it would be would depend on location and what it could actually offer. Anyway, lets discuss the colour of the ferrari im getting ;)

Not a Land Rover?

sky_blue_up_north

No matter what anyone says I cannot for the life of me figure out how SISU will ever get their money back by spending 30 million on a new ground, its just seems idiotic to me, no matter where it is built.

Otis

No matter what anyone says I cannot for the life of me figure out how SISU will ever get their money back by spending 30 million on a new ground, its just seems idiotic to me, no matter where it is built.

Exactly. It's a nonsense.

I'd love to see those negotiations, where Sisu are trying to talk would be investors into funding a new stadium the fans don't want.

Sky Blue Dal

they did listen to YOU

you wanted the wasps to buy ricoh remember, dont backtrack.

I don't think he did.

Like me he stood back and could see reasons how Wasp came to the position of acquiring the stadium and it was all down to our owners poor negotiation skills.

There was only one person on this forum who did wanted them to buy it and it wasn't Otis. You mixed him up with Ricoh spider.

So he has not backtracked.

Anyway I would go for a big NO.

Last night whilst in Cambridge I was drinking with a work colleague who is a mad Rugger fan and when I told him about Wasps buying the Ricoh he told me with confidence that it would benefit CCFC a lot and can think of it only being a good thing for them. He said that the Wasp owner is loaded and a very shrewd businessman and won't be surprised later down the line that he makes an offer for CCFC giving them a great sustainable future and the only way is up for them if they stick with them at the Ricoh.
When I questioned him about how some Wasp fans are not up in arms, he responded by saying that is just short term response by them and they have become pretty used to being moved from location to locations and that now they have moved 80 miles he can't see it being a problem as the time it takes them to get to the Ricoh from London would probably be around the same time it takes some Wasps fans who travel from all over London to Wycombe.

Listening to what he had to say sort of convinced me we are better put where we are and relocating and building a smaller stadium will only suit SISU and not CCFC or any future investors wanting to buy the club.

Oh btw he thinks Leicester Tigers are on a downward spiral.

Last edited:

rondog1973

I hope you're right. But taking 7,000 to the Franchise FC match to protest your own temporary ''franchise'' doesn't fill me with great hope.

I fear some plastic fans from Coventry will suddenly discover they always had a heartfelt love for London Wasps....
Exactly! Some people view sport in all its incarnations as a product. When top flight Rugby, with all it's modern day Sky TV garnished razzamatazz comes to Coventry, I suspect there are many Egg chasing fans in the locality who will flock to it.....I've already spoken to a few.

duffer

I would never have backed a new ground until this happened - but now it's hard to see another way forwards.

If we stay at the Ricoh, without access to the revenue streams, then how do we ever build a decent team?

As for Wasps as owners, these are the crooks that have just moved the team they're supposed to care about 75 miles from their fans - do you think they'll worry about what's best for us?

To be honest I'll just work on actively boycotting anything Wasps, supporting CCFC and CRFC when I can, and hope that the franchise goes bust sooner rather than later.

duffer

I don't think he did.

Like me he stood back and could see reasons how Wasp came to the position of acquiring the stadium and it was all down to our owners poor negotiation skills.

There was only one person on this forum who did wanted them to buy it and it wasn't Otis. You mixed him up with Ricoh spider.

So he has not backtracked.

Anyway I would go for a big NO.

Last night whilst in Cambridge I was drinking with a work colleague who is a mad Rugger fan and when I told him about Wasps buying the Ricoh he told me with confidence that it would benefit CCFC a lot and can think of it only being a good thing for them. He said that the Wasp owner is loaded and a very shrewd businessman and won't be surprised later down the line that he makes an offer for CCFC giving them a great sustainable future and the only way is up for them if they stick with them at the Ricoh.
When I questioned him about how some Wasp fans are not up in arms, he responded by saying that is just short term response by them and they have become pretty used to being moved from location to locations and that now they have moved 80 miles he can't see it being a problem as the time it takes them to get to the Ricoh from London would probably be around the same time it takes some Wasps fans who travel from all over London to Wycombe.

Listening to what he had to say sort of convinced me we are better put where we are and relocating and building a smaller stadium will only suit SISU and not CCFC or any future investors wanting to buy the club.

Oh btw he thinks Leicester Tigers are on a downward spiral.

Not the nomadic club thing again. Go read their boards. Proportionally, we're likely to see as many Wasps fans come to Cov, as Cov fans went to Northampton. This isn't a 'nomadic' club that's finally settled down, it's a franchise. Whether you support that or not is up to you, but let's not say it's something it isn't.

As for Coventry being rugby mad, I don't see much evidence of that. Look at the attendances in the Prem for the average rugby clubs. By football standards, they are very poor. What makes anyone think that Wasps as a franchise, in a city that typically prefers football to rugby, will do better than that?

Tank Top

It would be the death of the club, the club would never be able to afford it.

"OK, one more time!"..In order to build a new ground, Sisu must show that they intend to promote the club to higher plains, and embrace the fan base with a more respectful attitude, I believe thier Lawyers are looking up "respect" in the Dictionary, at this very moment, so! will there be a new ground?......Next Question!!!

Sky Blue Dal

Not the nomadic club thing again. Go read their boards. Proportionally, we're likely to see as many Wasps fans come to Cov, as Cov fans went to Northampton. This isn't a 'nomadic' club that's finally settled down, it's a franchise. Whether you support that or not is up to you, but let's not say it's something it isn't.

As for Coventry being rugby mad, I don't see much evidence of that. Look at the attendances in the Prem for the average rugby clubs. By football standards, they are very poor. What makes anyone think that Wasps as a franchise, in a city that typically prefers football to rugby, will do better than that?

Not sure it was a nomadic thing I was pointing out but to him he didn't think it was an issue. To me listening to this rugby fan, they don't seem to have as much passion as the football fan do about keeping there club in the community. Maybe football fans are more vocal on this issue but I did not see that with him.

Just to let you know I was totally against Wasp coming here and am more pissed off with SISU for letting the chances slip away of CCFC ever obtaining the Ricoh.

I am so desperate for success that now I would happily accept CCFC to go in bed with Wasps if it will get us this and out of the ruck we are in.

This franchise are here and there is nothing we can do about it and I don't see the Wasp fans being vocal on this issue other than on fan forums. Like us do you see them protesting on the streets, in parliament and ffs even the bloody media have accepted it. Why are they not protesting to the media?

If they are going to be all talk on fans forum but show no action anywhere else then we are powerless to help there cause .

Grendel

It is the casual abandonment of their supporters that ultimately is the unacceptable thing here.

The comments made to justify it are beyond the pale really . Many of those fans will have supported the club for a decade and beyond and many will have season tickets. The vast majority will not go.

The club now realise on what on the face of it is a fairly risky strategy to continue playing at the Ricoh. Crowds in general are not huge and to attract a large and consistent fanbase in an area surrounded by rival clubs is not going to be easy . If in 4 years time revenue is not as projected we as the tenants will be asked to pay a heavy price .

The worst thing , and lost on many, is that in a way it's now better for sisu. As a five year plan they can make money for their investors with no need to think further forward than that and if they are then offered an unacceptable high rent just liquidate and walk away.

We desperately need a new ground but I can never see it happening.

Otis

It is the casual abandonment of their supporters that ultimately is the unacceptable thing here.

The comments made to justify it are beyond the pale really . Many of those fans will have supported the club for a decade and beyond and many will have season tickets. The vast majority will not go.

The club now realise on what on the face of it is a fairly risky strategy to continue playing at the Ricoh. Crowds in general are not huge and to attract a large and consistent fanbase in an area surrounded by rival clubs is not going to be easy . If in 4 years time revenue is not as projected we as the tenants will be asked to pay a heavy price .

The worst thing , and lost on many, is that in a way it's now better for sisu. As a five year plan they can make money for their investors with no need to think further forward than that and if they are then offered an unacceptable high rent just liquidate and walk away.

It ain't going to happen, so we either reluctantly embrace what we've got and look for the best deal we can get, or jack it all in and hope Wasps go down the Swanee.

Sky Blue Dal

Sticking it out at the Ricoh , getting a better rental deal with match day revenues, most importantly getting success on the pitch, getting decent sponsorships and working on getting hold of a share of the Ricoh is the only way forward for us now. Building a new stadium will just put us more in a debt.

We need to make the best of what we have and the longer we stay at the Ricoh I do feel the closer we will get of sometime owning a percentage of the stadium.

Remember in rugby and football they have owners come and owners go. financially both owners will go through good times and bad times , They will always have different aspirations for there club compared to the last owners but I do not for one minute think the door will ever shut for us to ever own the Ricoh. We just need to stay put forget about building a new stadium and aim for promotion. That is the only way to go. Maybe spending wisely some of that £30m on the pitch will help SISU cause.

Last edited:

Grendel

"OK, one more time!"..In order to build a new ground, Sisu must show that they intend to promote the club to higher plains, and embrace the fan base with a more respectful attitude, I believe thier Lawyers are looking up "respect" in the Dictionary, at this very moment, so! will there be a new ground?......Next Question!!!

To be fair I heard a rumour the joy sepalla definitely did not understand the definition of respect . She was with a councillor at the time and asked how you earn respect

He answered " treat the public with contempt, make up any old rubbish if they ask questions and constantly change the goalposts and contradict yourself all the time. Worked for us for years"

She still can't understand why it all went wrong.

lordsummerisle

Did they, I don't know, I'll assume you're right.

Good job we didn't sell the freehold then.

Lucky we didn't sell our home and have houses built on it, otherwise we could have ended up paying excessive rents for years at a place too big for us and end up going bust twice.

God forbid!

Otis

Sticking it out at the Ricoh , getting a better rental deal with match day revenues, most importantly getting success on the pitch, getting decent sponsorships and working on getting hold of a share of the Ricoh is the only way forward for us now. Building a new stadium will just put us more in a debt.

We need to make the best of what we have and the longer we stay at the Ricoh I do feel the closer we will get of sometime owning a percentage of the stadium.

Remember in rugby and football they have owners come and owners go. financially both owners will go through good times and bad times , They will always have different aspirations for there club compared to the last owners but I do not for one minute think the door will ever shut for us to ever own the Ricoh. We just need to stay put forget about building a new stadium and aim for promotion. That is the only way to go. Maybe spending wisely some of that £30m on the pitch will help SISU cause.

Some very decent points there, Dal.

rupert_bear

How many of the 5/6000 who go and watch Wasp home games live in or around High Wycombe or Buckinghamshire, I would think quiet a few. How many of them were bothered one jot for the London based Wasp support when the club shipped out to Wycombe, I would guess none.

Rusty Trombone

Lucky we didn't sell our home and have houses built on it, otherwise we could have ended up paying excessive rents for years at a place too big for us and end up going bust twice.

God forbid!

The sale of Highfield Rd wasn't the killer deal, selling the clubs share of ACL was, and of course not buying it back as soon as we could have. If we hadn't sold the share, half of the excessive rent would have come back, as we'd have owned half of ACL.

Users who are viewing this thread