Would you now back a new ground? (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

Not sure of the exact direction now but a new ground, no thanks. We need to work forward off: Coventry City FC circa 5000 local season ticket holders and 150,000+ floating fans.................against Wasps: 2800 season ticket holders in Buckinghamshire/ London with 10,000 floating Southern based fans. Coventry Rugby: 1200 regular supporters with 10,000 floating fans and the club on the up !

Lets see off these Turkeys out of Coventry, see off a franchise operation that so enraged almost all of us when SISU [ Cunts} took us to Northampton. Lets boycott this disgusting high finance, modern world, corporate sham of an incursion.
Get behind Cov City, Cov Rugby and blank this abomination !

ccfc92

Probably the best scenario if we are to stay at the Ricoh. Has the owner got any interest in football though? Unless the wasps franchise bombs dramatically with 5k gates.

Are you talking about Wasps or SISU? :eek:

chiefdave

If you had the ability to acquire a chunk of land, and you had enough money to build things on it, the only sensible thing to do would be to build houses to sell, not a football stadium.

I've never understood the line of thought that the club was just a pawn in a property development deal. The same thing is being said of Wasps now. Doesn't' make sense to me, if you want to be a property developer you don't need to buy a team to hide it behind you just get on and do it.

Will you buy 10 pies for yourself after paying £25 to get in tho, plus travelling costs, is the question though?

About the only thing I ever buy at a game is a cuppa if it's cold. To be honest after all this if I knew the money was benefitting the club I probably would be inclined to spend more. Not quite 10 pies a game though!

Ashdown

Not so easy to do if they did end up in partership with said franchise operation, though.

And without a new ground, there ain't many other choices for them other than oblivion!

Where's your fight NW. Wasps in Cov are nothing without the same types that embraced the Wimbledon chairman and his franchise into MK. Cov has more about it than that, we already have 2 famous and historical teams with a great record and fans who will rally to the cause now !

hill83

Where's your fight NW. Wasps in Cov are nothing without the same types that embraced the Wimbledon chairman and his franchise into MK. Cov has more about it than that, we already have 2 famous and historical teams with a great record and fans who will rally to the cause now !

Bet it doesn't.

Purely based on the amount of Man Utd and Arsenal fans about etc. The Coventry population are shit at supporting our local failing teams.
I've already spoken to 10 plus people who will go and watch Wasps. Even my dad for fuck sake.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Lets hope so, the best thing would be for Wasps to get appalling attendances and for them to fall flat on their faces. Then they may be looking to sell a share or all of the Ricoh to the club and go back off to their own fan base.

Rusty Trombone

I've never understood the line of thought that the club was just a pawn in a property development deal. The same thing is being said of Wasps now. Doesn't' make sense to me, if you want to be a property developer you don't need to buy a team to hide it behind you just get on and do it.

In my previous post I'm not for a moment suggesting that's the case, I'm merely highlighting yet another reason why a new stadium is madness. It will not return an investor any money, and it will not benefit the club.

Limey

Not sure of the exact direction now but a new ground, no thanks. We need to work forward off: Coventry City FC circa 5000 local season ticket holders and 150,000+ floating fans.................against Wasps: 2800 season ticket holders in Buckinghamshire/ London with 10,000 floating Southern based fans. Coventry Rugby: 1200 regular supporters with 10,000 floating fans and the club on the up !

Lets see off these Turkeys out of Coventry, see off a franchise operation that so enraged almost all of us when SISU [ Cunts} took us to Northampton. Lets boycott this disgusting high finance, modern world, corporate sham of an incursion.
Get behind Cov City, Cov Rugby and blank this abomination !

Amen.

NorthernWisdom

Surely there's more fight to also not be bothered with the football team if they get into partnership with Wasps, then just accept it?

Ashdown

If it doesn't then I give up Hill, I've spent the greater part of my adult life promoting the City, spending our family money there whenever possible and following { with 20 years season tickets at the City, and taking my 3 kids to numerous games at Cov rugby, Cov Blaze and Cov Speedway. My parents, Grand parents and Great grand parents lived in the City and despite living 12 miles outside CV1 for many years now I've remained utterly loyal. If the present populace cant find that passion within themselves to fight I'm not sure there is any hope left !

hill83

Almost scared to ask, but what's his reason(s)?

He likes the odd Cov rugby game anyway, and when I rang him tonight about all the goings on he said he'll be going to a few Wasps games to see top level rugby.
I just said "on your own"

Otis

Not so easy to do if they did end up in partership with said franchise operation, though.

And without a new ground, there ain't many other choices for them other than oblivion!

Those bastards are always taking us somewhere aren't they! If it's not Northampton it's Oblivion.

RegTheDonk

Just reading some of the financial points everyone's raised above, the only way I could support a new stadium is it would eventually see SISU having an exit strategy of selling CCFC along with its own ground (with all the revenue benefits). But it would mean the potential income would have to be worth having to pay the mega bucks asking price (the club, the ground, and how much debt SISU have/will run up). The only way anyone with sense (ie. a non fan who's just won the euro) would take that on is if we had a decent team in the prem, or at least knocking on the door.

That's a long way off in our current state of potential, and not likely to improve with the current set up...rely on developing the kids, while scraping along with shit ticket sales. Perhaps building a new ground would see the potential benefits of revenue, naming rights, car boot sales on a Sunday etc. But CCFC would just be a tenant, we'd have to TRUST SISU to invest the money in a promotion push, and they haven't exactly done that yet have they?

In reality though, I can only hope that some progress is made in the next couple of years while renting at the Ricoh - perhaps WASPs will in return allow a bigger chunk of match day revenues, maybe then we can invest in the team while balancing the books and (as Tim is so piss pleased with himself) remain "cash flow positive".

ccfc92

1987, 250,000 people on the streets of Cov. 60's to late 80's huge support for CCFC. WW2, Coventry defies Luftwaffe.

2014: I walk into a pub in spon end before Gillingham game with a CCCFC shirt on; "oh yeah, Cov are playing today" comes from the regular's mouths :facepalm:

fernandopartridge

Bet it doesn't.

Purely based on the amount of Man Utd and Arsenal fans about etc. The Coventry population are shit at supporting our local failing teams.
I've already spoken to 10 plus people who will go and watch Wasps. Even my dad for fuck sake.
Sickening but not surprising.

ccfcway

buy the ricoh, rent it out to wasps, thus reaping rewards of non match day revnues.

That's could be a good idea...

Oh, its happened the other way round !

sotvtoday

It's been said before (ad nauseum probably) but SISU were allegedly only interested in purchasing the freehold. The only benefit of that I think (unless someone knows otherwise) is that it allows you to sell on the property. I can't think why SISU would not want the deal Wasps have just got themselves.

NorthernWisdom

It was also corrected pretty often by them that that was an oversimplification and possibly ill advised wording, and was also said (although interestingly not particularly reported) that a long lease would do for SISU.

tbh once you get into a long enough lease, you do own the property, don't you...

Rusty Trombone

It was also corrected pretty often by them that that was an oversimplification and possibly ill advised wording, and was also said (although interestingly not particularly reported) that a long lease would do for SISU.

tbh once you get into a long enough lease, you do own the property, don't you...

No, you own a lease to operate from the land and the property.

chiefdave

It's been said before (ad nauseum probably) but SISU were allegedly only interested in purchasing the freehold. The only benefit of that I think (unless someone knows otherwise) is that it allows you to sell on the property. I can't think why SISU would not want the deal Wasps have just got themselves.

My suspicion was always that they wanted to get it on the cheap and then mortgage it to the hilt. They could then use that money to pay the 'debt' to themselves, whether money they had genuinely put in or paper debt and walk away from the club by selling or letting the club go into admin. That would leave the club with a mortgage for tens of millions to service for decades to come.

Nick

Administrator
IF there was a new ground I'd need to see where it was before I decided if I was going to go or not.

Gazolba

SISU will never build a new stadium. They are asset strippers not asset buyers. Even if by some miracle they did build one, it would be owned by them, not by CCFC.

Otis

SISU will never build a new stadium. They are asset strippers not asset buyers. Even if by some miracle they did build one, it would be owned by them, not by CCFC.

Agree.

Even if you are not anti Sisu, building a new stadium is a very anti Sisu thing to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread