Would you go? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Have you never gone to a game as a neutral? If you were in Manchester for the weekend and had a chance to go to Old Trafford are you saying you wouldn't go?

That's all the people going to Wasps are doing. We now have a top European rugby team playing on our doorstep. If your a rugby fan you would have to be mad to not be at least tempted to go.

Doesn't mean they are supporting Wasps, just that they want to see the game.

And sometimes we just have to step back a second and realise we are not all the same. Some people will just go to watch a game of football or rugby or whatever.

I know a massive Cov Rugby fan who is going today just because he wants to see a rugby match at the top level.

Grendel

Not saying it is right, just saying there appears to be a massive degree of distrust with Sisu and both ACL and the council have said so much. I don't think it was spite, just that they couldn't trust them.

Trusting Wasps? Well, that's a different keetle of fish. Do we know much of them and whether or not then can be trusted? Time will tell I guess.

At no point have I suggested it was right to trust them.

Well given they assured fans they would never move away from the London area......

Nick

Administrator
Have you never gone to a game as a neutral? If you were in Manchester for the weekend and had a chance to go to Old Trafford are you saying you wouldn't go?

That's all the people going to Wasps are doing. We now have a top European rugby team playing on our doorstep. If your a rugby fan you would have to be mad to not be at least tempted to go.

Doesn't mean they are supporting Wasps, just that they want to see the game.

A better choice would be mk dons, after I have been going on for months about how wrong it is to move teams.

People who went to sixfields just wanted to see their own team play but got abused for it didn't they? They got mocked for saying they just want to watch their team, yet now people just want to watch top class rugby.

Oh and no, I've never seen a game live without ccfc (or local football when I know people playing) I don't think.

Otis

Well given they assured fans they would never move away from the London area......

Fair point. Was it exactly the same owner and same chairman? Just wondering.

Think with Sisu I the hint has been at dishonest practices and disonest behaviour in business. More in terms of legals.

I can only reiterate, I do not want Wasps here. Never will support the move.

Nick

Administrator
And sometimes we just have to step back a second and realise we are not all the same. Some people will just go to watch a game of football or rugby or whatever.

I know a massive Cov Rugby fan who is going today just because he wants to see a rugby match at the top level.

We weren't all the same when we went to sixfields... were you sticking up for people getting shit then from some of the people who now just want to watch top class rugby?

bigfatronssba

We weren't all the same when we went to sixfields... were you sticking up for people getting shit then from some of the people who now just want to watch top class rugby?

Not the same.

Going to Sixfields was damaging CCFC (IMO). Going to Wasps makes no difference to CCFC.

Otis

Don't get your point Nick.

We were Coventry City fans and our club was playing at Sixfields. My opinion was that no City fan should attend. I never gave anyone any stick ever though for going. I would debate with them why I believed they shouldn't go, but never gave anyone any stick.

If anyone in Northampton wanted to go and watch a game of football I had no problem with that.

So, if Coventry folk want to go and watch a game of rugby today I don't have a problem with that either. And I am not talking about City fans. That is a different matter. I am talking about rugby fans or just sports fans.

This isn't Coventry City FC. It's a different issue, akin to Northampton people just going to watch a game of football. That's what I am talking about.

When I say we are not all the same I mean we are not all City fans, not all passionate City fans and some of us just occasionally go or just want to watch a game of football or just want to go to watch a game of rugby.

We are not all the same in this city.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

I can't quite get my head around this.

If Wasps' owners say it's move or die, even if its 85 miles, most seem to be saying that's fair enough. Some are even going to go and support them.

But if CCFC's owners say it's move or die, even if's just a few miles, the same people are outraged and would never follow the team again.

Personally that seems like the most remarkable set of double standards to me.
This is one fucked up thread.

Anyway in answer to the op, no.

Nick

Administrator
Don't get your point Nick.

We were Coventry City fans and our club was playing at Sixfields. My opinion was that no City fan should attend. I never gave anyone any stick ever though for going. I would debate with them why I believed they shouldn't go, but never gave anyone any stick.

If anyone in Northampton wanted to go and watch a game of football I had no problem with that.

So, if Coventry folk want to go and watch a game of rugby today I don't have a problem with that either. And I am not talking about City fans. That is a different matter. I am talking about rugby fans or just sports fans.

This isn't Coventry City FC. It's a different issue, akin to Northampton people just going to watch a game of football. That's what I am talking about.

When I say we are not all the same I mean we are not all City fans, not all passionate City fans and some of us just occasionally go or just want to watch a game of football or just want to go to watch a game of rugby.

We are not all the same in this city.
So you don't agree with wasps fans going today, just people from cov? People went to sixfields to watch the team they support play, the team they love which wasn't ok and got stick for it. I think they were even mocked for saying that.

Neutral Fan

Strange as people seem to like hedge funds that pick up distressed and ailing businesses on the cheap all of a sudden.

Wasps do exactly what sisu tried to do and they are honest and transparent business people. Hilarious.
People on here are still labouring under the impression ''Wasps'' bought the Ricoh. They didn't. Moonshine/MGI Fiduciary Services have.

Does that matter? Very much so. MGI can liquidate/sell/re-franchise Wasps at any time and they would still own the Ricoh and its 365 income.

To conflate MGI with Wasps is like saying CCFC have just launched legal action again...no they didn't, that was SISU.

Otis

This is one fucked up thread.

Anyway in answer to the op, no.

For me though I don't believe it is move or die for us.

Haven't our owners said that the rental agreement would work in League One but not if we moved up to the Championship?

I would take us being a League One team in Coventry over us being a Championship team in Hinckley any day of the week. At the end of the day for me this is Coventry City FC and we should be palying on Coventry, or as damn near it as is possible. Hinckley or Nuneaton or Rugby is not acceptable for me.

Staying at the Ricoh is not dying, but could possible condemn us to lower league football indefinitely, but do we support our team because they are good or because they are our team?

If we were in the Conference I wouldn't stop supporting us. For me it isn't about success, it's baout my supporting the local team I have supported as both man and boy.

stupot07

For me though I don't believe it is move or die for us.

Haven't our owners said that the rental agreement would work in League One but not if we moved up to the Championship?

I would take us being a League One team in Coventry over us being a Championship team in Hinckley any day of the week. At the end of the day for me this is Coventry City FC and we should be palying on Coventry, or as damn near it as is possible. Hinckley or Nuneaton or Rugby is not acceptable for me.

Staying at the Ricoh is not dying, but could possible condemn us to lower league football indefinitely, but do we support our team because they are good or because they are our team?

If we were in the Conference I wouldn't stop supporting us. For me it isn't about success, it's baout my supporting the local team I have supported as both man and boy.

Where's hinckley come from? I thought the OP said Bumuda Park which is nowhere near hinckley?

I'm sure wasps could have survived at adams park if they'd accepted relegation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

spider_ricoh

Won't be stone dead but would be a nightmare stuck in shit leagues forever with crowds of about 2000-3000 they will be unable to compete even with the likes of Crawley

Surely we'd get more than that for home games??

I must have missed this rumour...are we meant to be buying Liberty Way and expanding it now?

Nick

Administrator
Where's hinckley come from? I thought the OP said Bumuda Park which is nowhere near hinckley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
It isn't, it's a couple of miles down the a444. Anyway, all this posting about how wrong it is to move teams is tiring me out. Best start getting ready to go and watch a game of top class rugby.

Otis

So you don't agree with wasps fans going today, just people from cov? People went to sixfields to watch the team they support play, the team they love which wasn't ok and got stick for it. I think they were even mocked for saying that.

It's not quite the same thing though is it Nick and you surely know that.

The Wasps move is a permanent move here. It's done and dusted. For Wasps fans they either boycott or get onboard. I personally think they should boycott, but that is a matter for them.

I don't see any inconsistency. I think Wasps fans should boycott if they are against the move and I thought City fans should boycott if they were against the move.

The difference too is that we had a permanent home here in Coventry and it was called the Ricoh. Wasps were already playing away from their home. We had somewhere to go back to they didn't.

They of course though should have looked for a ground in London, pure and simple.

Otis

I'm sure wasps could have survived at adams park if they'd accepted relegation.

The OP actually said Nuneaton.

We have no idea where a new ground would be. At the moment all we have is talk and gossip. We are all capable of opening our mouths and saying anything aren't we.

Can't see what the problem is Stu, the OP was talking about Nuneaton and I was talking about Hinckley.

skybluetony176

People on here are still labouring under the impression ''Wasps'' bought the Ricoh. They didn't. Moonshine/MGI Fiduciary Services have.

Does that matter? Very much so. MGI can liquidate/sell/re-franchise Wasps at any time and they would still own the Ricoh and its 365 income.

To conflate MGI with Wasps is like saying CCFC have just launched legal action again...no they didn't, that was SISU.

Are you on commission to mention MGI whatever they are and then chat shit about some over elaborate conspiracy theory off what they'll do next?

Its hard to see why else you're here.

spider_ricoh

Sandra Garlick told CCLSC members recently that the preferred site for the new ground is "within 8 miles of the city boundaries" - that could mean Broadgate or Gosford Green, but far more likely it implies an out of down development - Nuneaton and Bermuda would fit within that. Liberty Way is less than 6 miles from the Ricoh so would fit within this catchment area.

covmark

It isn't, it's a couple of miles down the a444. Anyway, all this posting about how wrong it is to move teams is tiring me out. Best start getting ready to go and watch a game of top class rugby.
If all of today's bandwagoners had bothered to support an actual Coventry team, they'd be watching top class sport in the city already, without the need to support one parachuted in.

dongonzalos

A better choice would be mk dons, after I have been going on for months about how wrong it is to move teams.

People who went to sixfields just wanted to see their own team play but got abused for it didn't they? They got mocked for saying they just want to watch their team, yet now people just want to watch top class rugby.

Oh and no, I've never seen a game live without ccfc (or local football when I know people playing) I don't think.

A lot of people felt that a return to Coventry would happen quicker if the attendances at Northampton were as low as they could possibly be. Ideally away fans only. It was an aspiration that was never going to happen.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Others felt it would make no difference and attended anyway.

The fans who attended put their own needs above what's best for the club in the long term IMO. Just my opinion and I know you won't like it.

stupot07

The OP actually said Nuneaton.

We have no idea where a new ground would be. At the moment all we have is talk and gossip. We are all capable of opening our mouths and saying anything aren't we.

Can't see what the problem is Stu, the OP was talking about Nuneaton and I was talking about Hinckley.

There's a big difference - burmuda park is about 2-3 miles from the ricoh, in warwickshire which is park of ccfc catchment area, hinckley is 15-16 miles away in Leicestershire and very much part of leicester city's catchment area.

rondog1973

Brilliant. It's ok for London wasps though.

Tell you what fella, if you feel that strongly about Wasps being here, get yourself up to the Ricoh, bedecked in a Sandwich board and hold aloft a placard with some Wasps hostile sentiment, and lobby/heckle the punters before they go in.

The Gentleman

Exactly, it is down to common sense surely when it comes to location. Boundaries can move, so the one inch here or there thing surely doesn't mean that much?

Oh right, so now it's not that moving a sports team from it's home and nearer to another town/city that is wrong, it's the mileage. Also, when I asked the original question about CCFC and in the past you have said about keeping things on topic and then created a Wasps sub thread, why people like you and Stupot felt the need to keep bringing Wasps into the thread? You see, and I keep saying this but some on here spout off about people cheerleading and being happy about Wasps but as this thread shows, it is people like you and Stupot who keep bringing it back round to the 'taboo' subject when most other people couldn't give a shit.

spider_ricoh

Tell you what fella, if you feel that strongly about Wasps being here, get yourself up to the Ricoh, bedecked in a Sandwich board and hold aloft a placard with some Wasps hostile sentiment, and lobby/heckle the punters before they go in.

Surely it's easier (and warmer) for him to sit at home and moan on a CCFC web forum. Either way, the exact same number of people will take notice - zero.

Nick

Administrator
Oh right, so now it's not that moving a sports team from it's home and nearer to another town/city that is wrong, it's the mileage. Also, when I asked the original question about CCFC and in the past you have said about keeping things on topic and then created a Wasps sub thread, why people like you and Stupot felt the need to keep bringing Wasps into the thread? You see, and I keep saying this but some on here spout off about people cheerleading and being happy about Wasps but as this thread shows, it is people like you and Stupot who keep bringing it back round to the 'taboo' subject when most other people couldn't give a shit.
Couldn't give a shit but go to watch?

The Gentleman

If all of today's bandwagoners had bothered to support an actual Coventry team, they'd be watching top class sport in the city already, without the need to support one parachuted in.

What the fuck are you talking about with the term 'bandwagoners'? I have said before about people who are going today who live in Coventry but don't support CCFC, are they bandwagoners? Also, I am starting a job on Monday for someone who lives in the CV area but is originally from London and is a massive Wasps fan, is she a 'bandwagoner'?

Otis

You also have to accept that there are some comparibles between the 2 situations, but also lots of things that are not comparible. It is not just as straightforwards as comparing the City and Wasps situations.

1. Wasps were already playing out of their home city and had been for some considerable time.

2. CCFC had a ground to play at in Coventry. Seems though that instead of trying to obtain the ground through negotitation they were intent on trying to distress ACL to get the stadium on the cheap.

3. We moved to Sixfields and Tim Fisher himself said that we would not be returning to the Ricoh. All the time he kept saying that there was not an ounce of evidence of any new ground in the offing. This pointed to a long stay at Northampton or eleswhere.

4. Wasps have now bought the Ricoh. This is now their new home, like it or lump it. Sixifelds was not our home.

5. Rugby fans are a different breed by all accounts and there simply hasn't been the level of protest against the move one would have thought there should have been.

6. If Man U moved to Northampton to play some home game then of course you would expect Northampton locals to go and watch football at the top level. Wasps moving here will in turn mean that some Coventry folk will go to watch top class rugby.

7. They are 2 different sports. You cannot expect football fans to be as outraged about a different sport as they wold be when it affects their own sport. That is simple human nature.

There are comparisons, but lots of differences too. It's not as black and white as some allude to.

Last edited:

stupot07

Surely it's easier (and warmer) for him to sit at home and moan on a CCFC web forum. Either way, the exact same number of people will take notice - zero.

Yes might as well, pointless protesting as there seems to be zero appetite for it.

Personally I don't understand why every city fan doesn't feel as strongly about wasps being here as me, Ashdown, chiefdave, duffer, michael, torch, Grendel, covmark, etc.

Last edited:

Otis

There's a big difference - burmuda park is about 2-3 miles from the ricoh, in warwickshire which is park of ccfc catchment area, hinckley is 15-16 miles away in Leicestershire and very much part of leicester city's catchment area.

I know. Don't see what you are getting at. We don't know where any new ground will be, despite what anyone says. They are just words.

I was simply talking about if it was in Hinckley or in Nuneaton, or Rugby or Leamington or Warwick, or wherever. I'm confused.

rupert_bear

Absolutely bang on the button. If it wasn't for those two, Nick and Stupot there would be hardly any mention of Wasps. They seem intent on keeping the topic in the limelight, why ?

rondog1973

It's not quite the same thing though is it Nick and you surely know that.

The Wasps move is a permanent move here. It's done and dusted. For Wasps fans they either boycott or get onboard. I personally think they should boycott, but that is a matter for them.

I don't see any inconsistency. I think Wasps fans should boycott if they are against the move and I thought City fans should boycott if they were against the move.

The difference too is that we had a permanent home here in Coventry and it was called the Ricoh. Wasps were already playing away from their home. We had somewhere to go back to they didn't.

They of course though should have looked for a ground in London, pure and simple.
Spot on.

The criticism Sixfields attendees received wasn't due to an aversion to franchising. They were criticized because it seemingly endorsed Sisu's disgusting tactic of removing the club from it's home city to financially starve the stadium owners.

dongonzalos

I take it you think if we had a average attendances of say 22k. Then SISU would not have taken the action they took.

I have to disagree the same would have happened.

Last edited:

The Gentleman

Couldn't give a shit but go to watch?

So fucking what if people decide to go and watch, did you go to Sixfields?

I am getting confused by peoples answers lately on here, some say that moving teams to different places is wrong, some say its the mileage. some say that people shouldn't go and watch because it's wrong, some literally froth at the mouth about how wrong franchise is in sport. I wonder, did those same people who cannot shut up about it and how wrong it is go and watch CCFC when Marlon King who is a convicted woman beater and convicted sexual attacker play for us. I cannot work out what people think is worse on here and why

dongonzalos

Absolutely bang on the button. If it wasn't for those two, Nick and Stupot there would be hardly any mention of Wasps. They seem intent on keeping the topic in the limelight, why ?

They do bring it up a lot. However there are also a lot of posts saying look this is how our owners should be engaging with our fans.

Unfortunately some people miss understand that as getting the fan fare out for wasps. It isn't it is just looking at what they are doing and wishing our owners took some tips.

Users who are viewing this thread