Would Robins still be here if the Ricoh situation was resolved? (2 Viewers)

Tonylinc

In short NO! His agent tapped up Huddersfield on is behalf seeking Robins a hefty pay rise. Robins had already been in discussions with Huddersfield before the club had given him permission to speak.
Out of work for 18 months Robins was given a 3 year contract on something like £150/200 pa.
After 5 months in the job he betrayed the club and loyal fans for dirty money.
Was he really that good? MCG was the main salvation of our club and his loan was arranged well before Robins hit the scene. Without MCG we would be lingering mid table at best and Robins wouldn't have been held in the high regard that we all had for him.
Not too sure weather that is true. Did not AT try to get McG but was unable to do so for whatever reason?

Not too sure weather that is true. Did not AT try to get McG but was unable to do so for whatever reason?

I'm pretty sure that AT arranged the deal but am willing to be proved wrong.
However my point about the turnaround in our fortunes remain with MCG and not Robins.

I'm not a SISU fan but there is no question that they backed Robins with a number of loan and permanent signings.
So much so that we have probably got the largest and strongest squads in the league.
Backing that AT did not receive last season.

Sick Boy

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11710/8007374/Coventry-chase-Forest-striker

I presume you believe the following to be true as well?

Perhaps the legacy of Andy’s tenure at Coventry will be that he successfully acquired numerous players on free transfers, all of whom soon became considerable assets to the club (most of whom were sold on promptly), such as Jordan Henderson, Jack Cork, Danny Fox, Scott Dann, Keiron Westwood, Richard Keogh, Anar Gunnarsson and Lucas Jutkewitcz. It would be no exaggeration to say that but for the discovery and then sale of some of these players, Coventry may well not have survived.

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2012/10/football-manager-andy-thorn-appoints-fc/

I wasn't aware that Thorn had signed all of the above on free transfers! I must have been asleep when Henderson and Cork were signed for free by Thorn! Fox & Dann joined us when Dowie was here, before he your mate even came to the club. I am pretty certain that we paid a fee for all/most of the above players anyway, and he wasn't actually the manager at the time.

“There’s no bitterness from me, not at all because he came in and did a fantastic job – that’s the problem. I brought in David McGoldrick to score goals – I didn’t think for a minute he would score as many as he did but then everybody wants him.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...dy-for-city-job-92746-32815127/#ixzz2L0bWzcSk

Mary_Mungo_Midge

You can't castigate Thorn because some arse who purports to represent him hasn't done their homework correctly.

What I can tell you is that a simple Google search will tell you that Thorn wanted McGoldrick as his main transfer target from late June onwards. Try it. There are many references.

None at the time mention Waggott, or credit him having anything to to with the scouting element of deal. Maybe the fact he wants to tie himself so publicly to the deal now is to bathe in the reflected glory of a very successful player?

Sick Boy

You can't castigate Thorn because some arse who purports to represent him hasn't done their homework correctly.

What I can tell you is that a simple Google search will tell you that Thorn wanted McGoldrick as his main transfer target from late June onwards. Try it. There are many references.

None at the time mention Waggott, or credit him having anything to to with the scouting element of deal. Maybe the fact he wants to tie himself so publicly to the deal now is to bathe in the reflected glory of a very successful player?

I am sure that he would have read the piece before it was published as well, if not, I am sure that he would insist on it being edited to avoid the glaring mistakes in the article. It is not exactly going to be help in getting him further employment in management, is it?

I seem to remember a few claiming on here at the beginning of the season that Waggot was heavily involved in the signings over the summer when things weren't exactly going to plan?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I seem to remember a few claiming on here at the beginning of the season that Waggot was heavily involved in the signings over the summer when things weren't exactly going to plan?

I believe it's his job to sort the business-end associated with players identified by the manager and/or his scouts. As such, I think all the 9 summer signings were Thorn's; yes including Brown and Ball; and that he did the same post-Robins arrival.

I also believe Thorn wanted McGoldrick, but that for whatever reason the deal couldn't be pushed through until after Thorn had been sacked.

As it was only a matter of days, was it in the pipeline anyway? Maybe. Did the club 'push the boat out' with more cash when they saw the situation three games into the season? Maybe. I do believe it was Thorn's identification of the player though; such was the widespread reporting at the time

Users who are viewing this thread