World Cup and Euros every other year? (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

It’s a rubbish idea based on money, the constant flogging of players is no good and produces poor spectacle. What would Wenger the Arsenal manager say?

Brighton Sky Blue

Problem is I can see a lot of smaller member nations voting for it to give them a better chance of qualifying for something. It’s a stupid idea but I can half see them forcing it through

Terry Gibson's perm

Problem is I can see a lot of smaller member nations voting for it to give them a better chance of qualifying for something. It’s a stupid idea but I can half see them forcing it through

The clubs should say that when the players are released the international teams take on the salary that might scare a few off and if they get injured have to pay them until fit.

Brighton Sky Blue

When are they going to get it into their heads that over saturation kills interest and therefore value long term.

Letting 3rd placed teams go through from the group stages in the Euros along with rigging it so that even Scotland qualify has already done that I think.

chiefdave

Letting 3rd placed teams go through from the group stages in the Euros along with rigging it so that even Scotland qualify has already done that I think.
Certainly has. These competitions used to be watch every game possible, these days until we get to the knockout stages I hardly watch a game. Sure I'm not alone in that.

Liquid Gold

If it happened I think it would be about time for the major nations to get together and form a separate confederation outside of FIFA jurisdiction.

stay_up_skyblues

Arsene seems to be the only football person who thinks this is a good idea so far. It’s not. The only way it could possibly work in my opinion is if they bin the Euros off all together.

covmark

Bang on. When the Euros was 16 teams, every game was a massive one. Euro 2004 for example, we had France, Croatia and Switzerland in our group. Euro 2020 we had Scotland rather than France and Czech Republic rather than Switzerland. Properly watered down competition.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Bang on. When the Euros was 16 teams, every game was a massive one. Euro 2004 for example, we had France, Croatia and Switzerland in our group. Euro 2020 we had Scotland rather than France and Czech Republic rather than Switzerland. Properly watered down competition.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Well it’s clear people like you and me are no longer the intended audience

rob9872

I like the easier group stages as I think teams generally grow into a tournament and even with a few freak results, teams can still recover and have an opportunity for the better teams to progress and peak when they meet each other for a better spectacle.

Brighton Sky Blue

I like the easier group stages as I think teams generally grow into a tournament and even with a few freak results, teams can still recover and have an opportunity for the better teams to progress and peak when they meet each other for a better spectacle.

That’s what friendlies are for surely?

SBAndy

Well it’s clear people like you and me are no longer the intended audience

I read one of the press releases regarding the idea, which cites that “younger people want more intensity and entertainment” which is the main driver behind this. It compared the idea to 24hr news and social media. Who’d have guessed that at the age of 29 I’d be so out of touch with the ‘young people’.

Terry Gibson's perm

I read one of the press releases regarding the idea, which cites that “younger people want more intensity and entertainment” which is the main driver behind this. It compared the idea to 24hr news and social media. Who’d have guessed that at the age of 29 I’d be so out of touch with the ‘young people’.

Surely if they want intensity and entertainment knockout football is the way to go, make it straight knockout and they could have their tournament more often.

Users who are viewing this thread